Hero

Shaking (I need a hero)

Luhan was special.

Deep down, he had always known it. As a child, he attracted people as if he was a beam of light and they were bugs, swarming him wherever he went. Teachers, students his age, his parents' friends... Everyone adored him for his charming personality and sweet voice. 

He loved being in the center of attention, too. It was easy for him to communicate with everyone: just his voice caused people to swoon.

Oddly enough, the boy had been disappointed when he finally realized just why everyone was so fond of him: he held powers they did not. Just by simple touches, soft words and gentle smiles, he could heal: soul and body both.

Of course, nothing came without a price. Every bruise he shoed away bloomed on his own body, each scar, cut he touched appeared on him, right where they had been on their original owner's skin.

The pain of hearts he took made his own bitter: slowly, his mind was tainted with cruel memories of people who wanted to forget or run away. 

It hurt, but he acted as if it all was normal.

For him, it was.

After all, he had always been special.

Sehun, on the other hand, never had been.

He was the typical kid next door with a somewhat shy attitude and a sweet smile that could make anyone's - mainly Luhan's, really - heart flutter. He preferred to linger in the shadows, simply because there was nothing truly unique about him.

And yet, in Luhan's eyes, he was one of a kind.

Maybe because of that, in a way, Sehun was special.

Every night, Luhan would sneak out from their shared apartment and search for lost souls. At times, he would be away at morning or midday, too, roaming the streets like a normal person would. He knew when he was truly needed: there was a special emotion only he could feel. Whenever it caused his heart-rate to pick up, he knew that he had to run... And he would, saving those who relied on him and no one else.

He was the faceless hero of their little town: always with a scarf hiding his cheeks and long sleeves covering his scarred arms. They never withered from his pale skin, not even when they stopped hurting: each of them was a bittersweet reminder of what he was capable of doing...

It drained him, yes, but he never truly cared. Whenever he was done with work, he would go home and snuggle up with his love...and all would be fine again.

Sehun never asked. He never even noticed: he just held Luhan tight, whispering sweet nothings to him. At times, they would kiss all night long, bodies melting into each others'. 

Luhan would marvel in his lover's warmth and enjoy being the one cared for for once..

But of course, everything had to come to an end.

It all started and ended on a bright summer morning. The sun was shining brightly and birds were chirping in glee, flying above the busy streets of the small town. Couples strolled down the pavement, chatting casually with each other... It was all so perfect, so peaceful..

Luhan woke to a weird feeling: an empty bed, no warm arms around him, no hot breaths fanning his neck. His eyes snapped open as he rolled to the side, trying to calm himself: all was fine, Sehun had just went out to buy breakfast as he did Sunday...

But as the male glanced at his clock, he realized that it was well past noon... His lover should have been back. Luhan ran a hand through his dark hair, allowing his teeth to sink into his lower lip. He was panicking too much: it was an after-effect of healing so many people. Ridding them from their scars was one thing, but bearing them for a lifetime was another.

Heaving a sigh he decided to rest for a bit more, ignoring how his heart was aching in a way it had never before. He tried his hardest to push away his feelings: he was just exaggerating again. Nothing was wrong, Sehun would be back in no time..

But he was not..

Luhan ended up running through the busy streets once more, a hand on his fast-beating heart as he prayed that it had not been lover who had been harmed this time. He looked up at the sky with hope in his eyes, part of him still believing that the gods would listen to him and allow his little bit of happiness to be his still.

What he met was something he never wanted to see.

People crowding a body sprawled across the road, limbs bent in awkward angles, freshly-bleached white hair matted with deep crimson.

Before anyone could realize it, Luhan was pushing people away, his entire body shaking."Please be alive..." he whimpered out again and again, tears rolling down his cheeks as he pleaded for one more chance... Already, he was given his pace: after all, many knew of his existence: they just did not know who he truly was. Even now, his scarf was shielding his face, making it easy for them to recognize him.

Frail hands emitted a pale light as Luhan touched bruises and cuts, sobbing violently. He kissed each area that he treated tenderly, ignoring the pain, the waves of nausea hit his body again and again. First he caressed legs, then arms, broken ribs, bleeding stomach...

And as dark finally seeped into his vision, his soft fingers touched a still heart, coaxing it to beat once more.

His own stopped the moment it did...

And the hero was no more.

Oh Sehun was not born special. He had been the kid next-door, the one lingering in the shadows... But one day, he was given the greatest gift in life: the one to heal others... 

The only one he could not help was himself.