V.

Insentient Senses.

It's the first time he's finding difficulty to find the right words. 

He learns that his name is Chanyeol, along with some other facts. His favorite order is a caramel macchiato with loads of whipped cream and a mocha drizzle on top. His favorite drama is Stairway to Heaven, which he's watched over eighty-nine (currently in the process of making that ninety) times. He's got a dog, named after Beethoven for some reason, and most importantly, he's got a smile that warms him even from the harsh winter that cloaks over the city. 

Almost two weeks has passed since they've passed notes back and forth, with the barista, Minseok, as their messenger in between. He's starting to get tired, he can tell. What more he can tell is how much Chanyeol is itching to come over and talk to him beyond speaking through writing like two teenagers in middle school. He knows from the glances Chanyeol steals that linger two seconds too long; he knows because he stares at Chanyeol the same exact way, even if Chanyeol doesn't seem to notice in cloud of obliviousness. 

He doesn't know what makes this Tuesday different from the last one. There's a thin layer of soft snow outside on the sidewalks that have yet to be cleaned from the snowflakes that still continue to fall. Because of it, there are a few more people in the cafe than usual; the chatter of the crowd along with the smell of freshly ground beans always his favorite, and his best muse. 

It's somewhere past two when he feels the clatter of a cup and plate clank down on his table. When he looks up, he's watching Minseok disappear in between the maze of tables and chairs as usual, while a cup of americano, piece of banana bread and a scribbled note waits for him instead across the table. A smile naturally lifts at the sight, his hands grasping to bring the small note closer immediately. 

Hello and hi Kris!

How's writing going today? Did you get a chance to wrap up the twelfth chapter? Let me know what song you want to hear today as usual! 

-- Chan

He taps his pen onto a napkin as usual, unable to find the right words to reply. He writes a, good morning, and then finds himself stuck, with something quite similar to the writer's block he rarely experienced in this familiar cafe setting. After two minutes of struggling, he drops the pen and picks up a piece of the banana bread, beginning to nip away at it. In other few minutes, he finishes the bread, left with a sugary stickiness on his fingertips which he could never stand. 

The note and pen go abandoned for a moment as he heads to the bathroom to wash his hands. As he finishes up and heads out with his eyes on a strange dirty spot on his left shoe, he finds himself blocking the doorway for another person to come in. He quickly makes way towards the right, only to watch the other person's feet move in the same direction. When he moves to the left, the same thing occurs -- and this repeats at least four times, until he finally looks up. 

He meets eyes that seem just as surprised and unexpectant as his own -- it's strange not having to look down to meet eyes with someone, and he realizes only now that he's never known that Chanyeol was almost, if not just, as tall as he was. 

He spaces out for a while, just blatantly staring until Chanyeol brings him back, giving him a smile, teeth and all. It's so natural the way that it's so contagious, infecting his own lips to stretch from one ear to another. 

He tries to step right again, and Chanyeol does the same -- a step left, and another left step from Chanyeol. He laughs, and Chanyeol seems just as amused. Instead of trying again, he grabs Chanyeol's wrist gently, pulling him in the opposite direction of the one he steps in. Finally, they pass by one another. 

But he turns around to find Chanyeol doing the same, and they exchange another smile. 

He waits till Chanyeol's back in his usual seat by the counter. For some reason, he takes longer in the bathroom than he expects, but he doesn't think twice about it when Chanyeol's figure re-emerged into his sight. He pulls himself away from his cozy corner of the cafe and steps towards the counter, where he feels Minseok's eyes on him first. 

It takes courage to take that last step, but something about Tuesday urges him to do so, and he knocks on the surface of the counter right next to where Chanyeol sits. In response, Chanyeol jumps, his stool making a scratch on the floor because of it, as Minseok gives a whole-hearted laugh while he moves to take an order on the other side. 

Chanyeol turns slowly to face him, and he's got the same face of surprise, the same cute cheeks beginning to pull into a half smile he's fighting. 

When he takes a good look at Chanyeol's smile, to the way his nose crinkles a bit, to observing how the room begins to radiate in a kind of light he's never known before, it's the first time he's finding difficulty finding reasons to hate a Tuesday.