002

The Answer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Your grandmother is missing,” Minjae’s heart dropped as she heard the unfortunate news. Her phone slipped from her hand and fell on the table with a thud. Daehyun watched her intently, and he also felt his heart racing. He knew something bad happened, just from her reaction. “Come home immediately. We’re just waiting for you and we’d head over there as soon as you arrive.”

Minjae’s grandmother has been suffering from dementia, and her parents hired a private nurse that would keep an eye on her. Her condition just got worse, to the point that she can’t recognize her children and grandchildren anymore. She was always in Minjae’s mind, because the latter just can’t help but get worried every single day specially when the elder lives an hour away.

Minjae picked her phone up again and dismissed the call. Without speaking, she grabbed her jacket and rushed out of the restaurant. Daehyun followed behind her after leaving some cash to the restaurant owner, it was way more than what they ordered but that was the least of his problems.

“Minjae, wait for me.” The girl didn’t even turn his way. He sped up and grabbed her hand, he spun her around and was quite surprised to see her tear-stricken face.

“Daehyun… what if—what if we can’t find her?” Her tone was calm yet the tears continued flowing from her eyes. It was the first time he’s seen her cry, and it made a lump form in his throat. “Dae—“

He pulled her close and enveloped her in a tight hug, he felt his shirt getting soaked up as he hugged her tighter. He rubbed her back gently and whispered in a hushed tone. “Don’t worry… we’ll find her, Minjae. We’ll find her. I promise.”

 

The taxi ride was unbearably silent. Daehyun held her hide tightly and squeezed it reassuringly. He glanced at her every now and then but he couldn’t see her face as she was looking out the window.

They arrived a little before an hour and he volunteered to pay the fare. He didn’t bother rushing to catch up with her as her parents were standing at the lobby of the apartment complex, talking with some authorities. Minjae’s mom gave him a mere glance when she saw him and he bowed out of respect.

“Please don’t let her be left unsupervised next time. There’s no where safe and even the elderly would get taken advantage of—“

“Grandma!” Daehyun glanced behind him to see an elderly woman accompanied by some police officers and another woman that looked like a nurse. Minjae rushed to her grandmother and enveloped her in a tight hug although the elderly woman groaned and was trying to push her off. “We were so worried! Thank god.”

“Thank you, officers. We’ll make sure to never let this happen again.” Minjae’s dad said as they exchanged bows. Minjae’s parents and the nurse accompanied her grandmother towards the elevator.

Minjae approached Daehyun who was standing idly and suddenly jumped up to hug him, which almost made him lost balance and they almost fell to the floor together. “Thank you! You’re really the best!”

Daehyun pulled away and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “Uh, you’re welcome? I really didn’t do anything…”

“Liar. You saw the most embarrassing side of me yet you didn’t run away.” Minjae chuckled. Her laugh died down slowly when he didn’t respond, instead, he continued to stare at her. “Uhm, Dae? Is there something on my face?”

Daehyun cleared his throat and looked away. God, what the hell are you doing! For the second time today, Jung Daehyun! “No, it’s nothing. I guess I should be going, or my mother would kill me.”

“Oh, I’ll go with you to pick a taxi up.” She suggested as she fixed her jacket up.

“I’m going to take a bus.” He knew the bus stop was a fair distance away, which meant he would have some time to himself and it also meant he could reflect on the feelings that had been bothering him the whole day. “I’d rather you go up there now and go to sleep.”

“Na-uh, I forced you here so I should atleast accompany you to the bus stop.” She insisted.

“Didn’t you hear the police officer earlier? There’s no where safe anymore. Besides, how can I let you go back here alone when it’s midnight?” Daehyun knew she wasn’t listening from the way her eyes were not focused on him anymore and instead on their surroundings. “Lee Minjae, please.”

She sighed as she looked up at him. The two of them were both stubborn, which why they clashed sometimes.

“Fine. But promise you’d at least send me a message when you get home.” Daehyun grinned at her when she finally gave in. “Don’t smile at me like that.”

“I’ll see you on Monday, then?”

“Sure. Goodnight… and thank you, again. Be safe, okay?” They stared at each other for a few seconds before Daehyun his heel and b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter