03.

Take It Slow

    Wendy has been babysitting Irene's kids for about a year now. When she heard about Irene's situation she knew that she wanted to help her no matter how little it was. Irene was like a sister to her. When her sister left to study in Canada, Irene was the one who watched over her. Irene took care of her and made sure she ate three meals a day, just like her sister would. So she told herself that watching over Irene's children was the least she could do for her.

    "Wendy unnie," Joy said tugging on the older girl's shirt. They were in the living room, sitting on the couch watching Cinderella.

    "Yes, Sooyoungie?" Wendy said, picking up the young girl and making her sit on her lap.

    "Bake me a cookie."

    "But you just ate dinner! And it's getting a little late, your tummy might hurt." The older girl said, rubbing the younger girl's stomach.

    "Me too unnie. I want a cookie!" Yeri said, jumping up and down. The two girls looked so excited. She couldn't say no to that.

    "Oh alright! But please don't tell your mom about this."

    Joy and Yeri ran towards the kitchen and Wendy let out a laugh and followed the younger girls.

 

    Irene was rushing to catch the train. She didn't want to be late for work. Not that she was ever late, but she was a very punctual person. She liked being there 10 minutes earlier. Irene had 3 jobs, she had one during the morning, one at night and one during Friday nights. Early morning she works as a waitress, she worked from 5 am to 8 am, Monday to Friday. Joy and Yeri usually wake up at around 9, so she had no problem with having to find someone watch over them. At night she works as a receptionist in a spa. She works from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm during Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. She only started working as a receptionist a year ago because she had no one to watch over her children, until Wendy volunteered to help her. And on Friday nights, she worked as a dance instructor. Sometimes she brings her children along with her since it only took 2 hours, it was from 6 pm to 8 pm. It was tiring but it was all for her children. She wanted her kids to live a nice and comfortable life even though she didn't have much.

    The spa Irene worked in was pretty famous. You can't get in if you don't have a reservation. It wasn't too big, but it was big enough. It was very modern for a spa although it was made of brick walls. It's located in the city but when you get there, it feels like you're in another place. That's one of the reasons why Irene loved working there  so much, it was so peaceful and serene.

     "Irene unnie, could you help me out here?" Hani, her co-worker, said. Hani's hair got caught in a round brush and was having a hard time taking it out.

    Irene rushed over to Hani's side, "Don't move, okay? The more you move, the more your hair will tangle."

    "Don't pull to hard! It hurts." Hani said, flinching everytime Irene pulls her hair. "Ouch! I said don't pull too hard!"

    "If you just stay still, it wouldn't hurt as much." Irene said, trying her best to make it as painless as possible.  This happened often to her daughters, so she knew hot to take it out. All she had to do was to rub baby oil on the tangled part of the hair. "Okay, it's out."

    "Unnie, you're really good at this," Hani said, trying to remove the tangles in her hair.

    "It happens to my daughters a lot."

   "Oh right. Sometimes I forget that you have kids," Hani said, still trying to untangle her hair. "It's just weird, you know? You're just a year older than me, and I can't imagine myself having to raise a child. That's too much to handle."

    Irene just smiled at Hani's comment. Having kids is a tough job. But it's harder to raise them on your own. She's only 24 and she has to watch over two kids. She had Joy when she was 18 and Yeri when she was 20. She was young then and she rushed into it. She was blinded by love. Well, she thought it was love, but now she knows it isn't.

 

    Seulgi was used to being alone. It's not that she didn't have friends, she had plenty of them. But she liked how comforting the silence can be. It helps her think about a lot of things. When it's quiet, she lets her mind wander. Most of the time she would just take out a pen and a sketch pad and draw. Seulgi is an amazing artists. Her drawings were always beautiful. She can even turn a random scribble into a masterpiece. That's how great she was. Seulgi took out her pen and sketch pad and just drew whatever was on her mind. She wasn't even thinking about what she wanted to draw, she just let her hand do the thinking for her. She knew what she wanted to draw, she just wasn't sure if it would look right. She wanted her drawing to be perfect, just like the girl she met earlier.

    No matter how hard she tried, Seulgi just wasn't satisfied with her drawings. To a normal person's eye the drawing would already look beautiful, but to Seulgi it wasn't. She would always find something wrong with her drawing.

    "Her forehead is too big."

    "Her nose doesn't look right."

    "Her eyes are too far apart."

    "Should I draw her smiling or should she have a poker face instead?"

    "I think I drew her hair too big."

    "I made her look so fat."

    Seulgi let out a loud groan. She was frustrated because she couldn't draw Irene right. "Drawings won't do her any justice. She's already a walking piece of art."