Chapter 02

A Wolf's Heart

A couple weeks later, Luhan started being overprotective of Hyun Jung, he didn't want anyone to hurt her. While Hyun Jung was still sleeping on the bed, he tucked her in with the yellow and pink blanket. 'I'm sorry, Hyun Jung,' he thought, 'As long as you're happy here, you don't have to suffer with living with your aunt or cousin.' He opens the chest of clothes, there were many clothes that his real mother wore, "They still look new after I washed them and stiched them back together." he whispered. Luhan decided to pass his mother's clothes to Hyun Jung, he wanted Hyun Jung to have enough clothes while she was living at his village. Luhan always checked her injuries that his guard did, the guard got the three swords and the six caves punishment after hurting Hyun Jung. "My lord, there's an attack in the village, you better escape." the servant replies. "Okay, but will the village be in good shape when I leave?" he asks. "Hopefully," the servant replies, "We don't know how much damage it'll be." Luhan carries Hyun Jung in his arms and runs out of the room, "Kill the wolves!" the soldiers yelled. Hyun Jung then opened her eyes while Luhan was carrying her, "Luhan, what's going on?" she asks, looking up at him. "No time to talk now, we have to run." Luhan replies, running faster. 

In the woods, Luhan and Hyun Jung hid together in the shrubs. He uses his hand to cover , it was familiar to Hyun Jung when she first met him for the first time. Then, a dagger was targeting Hyun Jung, Luhan quickly grabs the dagger to protect Hyun Jung from being killed. Once the coast was clear, Luhan was called out to head back to the village. About half of the village was destroyed or was burned, "I never knew this much destruction would happen." he replied, loosening the grip of her hand. "Luhan, it's okay, it's not that much damage." Hyun Jung replies, holding onto his arm. "Let me go, Mei Feng," Luhan replies, "I promised myself that I will protect the land I've been in and where my mother protected me!" Luhan looks at his home, it was already burned down to ashes, "I'm sorry, mother and father," he replies, "I've failed to protect our home..." Hyun Jung felt a lot of pity for Luhan, she even remembered the time her home was the same as his. "Luhan, can I see your mother and father's tombstone?" she asks. Luhan growls at Hyun Jung, "I cannot allow that, I am forbidden to." 

After many weeks of construction in the village, everything was back to normal, except for Luhan, he kept on acting strange around Hyun Jung. Luhan slept alone in the room they both shared, Hyun Jung wept while she was outside. Luhan opens the door, Hyun Jung was sitting on the stair steps. 'What did I do wrong?' he thought, 'Maybe it's what I said to her a couple weeks ago. No wonder why she hasn't been sleeping with me.' "Mei Feng..I" he started. "What did I do wrong to make you upset?" she asks, "Tell me what I did and I'll change my ways forever!" "Mei Feng, look, I made a mistake, I never knew that you would get this upset." Luhan replies. "I'm going to sleep," she replies, "we'll talk tomorrow." As she walks pass Luhan, he turns to her as she closes the door. 'What did I really do to make her upset?' he thought, 'Wasn't it, earlier this afternoon?' "What did I really say to Hyun Jung?" Luhan asks himself, "Did I...refuse to show mother and father's tombstone?" 

Once the sun rose up the horzion, Hyun Jung looks out the window while she was folding the blankets on the bed. Luhan was still sleeping on the floor, "I guess I can't be angry at him forever." she whispers. After folding some blankets, she started making breakfast for Luhan. She learned to make Chinese food by a maiden that lived in the village, 'I wonder what I should make,' Hyun Jung thought, ''Shanghai noodles with meat or meat buns with Shanghai noodles.'  Since Hyun Jung couldn't choose one, she decided to make both. "Is there any rice left?" Hyun Jung asks to herself. She walks to a counter to look at the bowl of leftover rice. "There's only a little bit of rice left," she whispers, "I better go to the rice garden to make more."

In the bedroom, Luhan opens his eyes and looks to the right. "She's gone already!?" He asks, "I better catch up to her." Luhan gets up, but he felt that he had a fever from yesterday. Hyun Jung enters the room with a bowl of Shanghai noodles with meat and meat buns. "What's wrong, Luhan?" She asks, kneeling down on the floor. Luhan starts turning red, "Are you sick, Luhan?" Hyun Jung asks, feeling his forehead. "Did you make food?" Luhan asks. "Yeah, but do you want rice porridge instead?" She asks. "Okay, just make something that makes me feel better." He replies, holding onto Hyun Jung's hand. 

After making some rice porridge, Luhan asked Hyun Jung to feed him. "It's a little hot." Hyun Jung replies, blowing the spoonful of rice porridge. "Prince Luhan, we need you to attend a meeting with us!" A soldier replies. "I am currently ill," Luhan replies, "I cannot attend the meeting now." "Please allow him to rest," Hyun Jung replies, "please delay the meeting for tomorrow." "Alright miss..." he replied. "Just call me Miss Xiao." Hyun Jung explains. "Alright Miss Xiao," the soldier replies, "you are the guardian of Prince Luhan, I shall show my respects to you." The soldier leaves the bedroom, Luhan starts coughing after choking on a little bit of rice. "Drink some water so the rice can go down." Hyun Jung replied, patting his back gently. After Luhan finished the rice porridge, Hyun Jung nursed him for the rest of the day, during the afternoon, Luhan got better after eating some food.

During the day, Hyun Jung was cleaning the clothes until she got a small headache. Luhan runs to get and she grips onto Luhan's shirt. Luhan held onto her as she started breathing heavily. "You've been overworked for today," he replies, "give a rest, you've done too much for me." Luhan then carries Hyun Jung in his arms to the bedroom, he gently places her on the bed so she can rest for a while. "Prince Luhan, since you're alright now, we have to attend the meeting." The soldier explains. "I cannot attend the meeting," Luhan replies, "my lady is overworked." "I guess I can take that as an excuse..." the soldier replied. Once the soldier left the room, Luhan turns back to Hyun Jung and nurses her for most of the day. "Why are you nursing me for the day?" she asks, turning to Luhan, who was closing the windows. "It's because I love you," he replies, "I can't leave you alone by yourself at all." 

In the evening, Luhan gave Hyun Jung the back hug while they were outside. "Xiao Mei Feng, I want your name to be this." Luhan replies, gripping tighter. "I wish," Hyun Jung replies, "I really like that name too." Luhan looked at the full moon, his eyes turned red and he was turning into a wolf. "Luhan, Luhan, are you-" she starts. Luhan growls and he accidently injured Hyun Jung, "Ow...Luhan...why did you?" she asks. Luhan turned back to normal, he noticed that he accidently injured Hyun Jung. She starts groaning in pain while she holds onto her bleeding arm, Luhan comes to Hyun Jung and touches the wound. "You're bleeding," he replies, "Let me see your wound." Luhan quickly puts some medicine on her wound, then he wraps some white cloth around her arm. "Don't touch my wound," Hyun Jung replies, "It hurts." Some blood was showing on the white cloth, but Luhan placed another layer on top of the first layer. "There, does that feel better?" he asks.