Twelfth Crown

Our Crown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twelfth Crown

 

1. Loin du regard de ces autres gens: away from the stare of those other people

Hyukjae isn’t quite sure whether he’s allowed, and he knows that he might have to pay the consequences later through a long scolding, but reaching out for Donghae suddenly feels like a urge that he cannot ignore. Even if only for a tiny little second, Hyukjae wants to touch. He wants to reassure his Boyfriend that he’s right here—that’s everything is going to be fine.

Hyukjae breathes in slowly, his heart beating fast within his chest. He lifts his hand up.

His fingers brush against the back of Donghae’s hand first. It’s a hesitant sort of touch, a silent request for permission. Donghae startles and blushes a furious shade of red under Hyukjae’s fascinated eyes, but does not pull back. He glances up shyly at Hyukjae, and then looks away almost immediately in embarrassment. Donghae’s other hand goes to fiddle with the lapel that covers Hyukjae’s charm, and he looks so nervous—so awkward, so excited.

Hyukjae smiles.

 

“Shall we go, then?” Hyukjae offers. “You can tell me about your Gift while we get there. Loin du regard de ces autres gens1.”

 

Donghae blinks in confusion at the use of French, but seems to grasp the general meaning. He nods bashfully. “I would love to, yes.”

 

Taking a step back, Hyukjae bows low before Donghae and then holds a hand out—the correct one this time. “Then, may I, your Royal Highness?” Hyukjae asks, a little teasingly, full of warmth in his voice.

When Hyukjae glances up at Donghae, the latter is blushing again, his cheeks red and his eyes looking a little panicked, and well. Isn’t it a bit amazing how flustered Hyukjae can make Donghae, just by showing a bit of affection and gallantry?

 

“I—I—…” Donghae stammers embarrassingly, and he’s blinking so fast that Hyukjae goes a bit dizzy at the sight of it. “I—…”

 

From the corners of the eyes, Kangin looks like he’s not sure whether to strangle or kick Hyukjae for his bold move. There are probably thousands of rules on asking for the hand of a Crown Prince in this kind of situation while Courting, countless lines of procedures and codes and implicit meanings that Hyukjae’s brain wouldn’t have been able to understand even if he’d read them three times. Just thinking about it makes his head hurt.

But Hyukjae knows Donghae. And, really, isn’t that the only thing that he needs to know? Who cares about rules and customs and traditions, when all Hyukjae has to do is listen to his heart and make Donghae happy?

Right now, the way to make Donghae happy is to hide him from the attention of the courtiers. Hyukjae needs to show Donghae that he doesn’t mind about his shyness, about his fears and anxiety when in public. He needs to show that all he cares about is Donghae.

That’s definitely something that Hyukjae can do.

 

“Yes,” Donghae finally answers, and behind Hyukjae, Kangin looks a bit stunned. Donghae carefully puts his hand into Hyukjae’s, looking at Hyukjae with thankful, relieved eyes.

 

Hyukjae smiles again. “Then let’s go.”

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

The First Gift that Donghae has decided to give to Hyukjae is a simple boat ride through the city of Béllyor, capital of the Solemnée Kingdom. It’s a warm, sunny day; spending the rest of the afternoon on the peaceful river of Montmartre, which slithers through the city, sounds like a lovely idea to Hyukjae. When they reach the quays, Hyukjae looks with interest at the several barges floating idly on the water.

Donghae sends Hyukjae a worried little look after they book one of the boats, wanting to make sure that the latter isn’t disappointed. Hyukjae gives him a reassuring smile. He discreetly bumps their shoulders together, which earns him a nasty glare from Kangin, but also an adorable pink blush on Donghae’s cheeks. Donghae clears his throat awkwardly, but when he looks up at Hyukjae, he’s all smiles and bright eyes.

 

Donghae says the customary greetings in front of the courtiers and the Royal Guards, before he whispers cheerfully to Hyukjae, “let’s go!”

Donghae invites Hyukjae on board one of the royal barges with a childish kind of excitement, and Hyukjae is only too happy to comply.

 

At first, the ride is mostly quiet. Donghae is still a bit shaken from the rush of anxiety that he experienced back at Hyukjae’s castle. Hyukjae thinks it’s only polite to let him gather his thoughts on his own time, and he’s already content just sitting next to his Boyfriend anyway. He enjoys the quietness and the presence of someone he cares deeply a lot for by his sides, waiting for Donghae to relax.

The two of them are sitting alone at the front of the boat, while the captain stays at the commands in the main cabin. They admire the beautiful scenery of the city that surrounds the river in a comfortable silence; there are traditional and more modern buildings covered with walls of colorful flowers and some houses have been painted with funny patterns, while pretty little lightbulbs have been hung from streets to streets to illuminate the neighborhoods.

Bypassing subjects wave excitedly at the Crown Prince as soon as they recognize him from the riverbanks. Donghae waves back just as enthusiastical

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter