First Crown

Our Crown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First Crown

His Grace Hyukjae, of the très-haute et très-puissante House of Lee’s, is a gentleman of many, many talents.

Not only does he know how to tame the most recalcitrant horses, or wield the most dangerous weapons; the young man has also mastered the subtle arts of Languages, History and Economics. His Most Noble knows how to express his thoughts with both elegance and authority, and how to charm with his eyes and his smiles; how to represent his prestigious name with a precise combination of pride and humbleness, and how to please the other noble families of the Eletyrh Kingdom with all the strictness needed for such task. There isn’t a single thing, in fact, that His Grace has failed to apprehend upon his twenty-one years of existence.

At least, it is what most people are convinced of.

In truth, if there is at least one thing the young man does not enjoy, it is definitely being bored. And learning. And being confined in this boring castle his parents have bought so many years ago. And being locked in this dusty room, with only his private tutor for company.

 

“But, Hyung!” he whines loudly as Kangin flatly drops another heavy book in front of him. “Hyung, we’ve been studying for the whole morning! I think it’s about time you allow me a break; even if only a short one.”

 

The older man throws him one of his sternest looks, which he dares to hold only for a couple of seconds.

 

“You are the heir of the noblest family of the Solemnée Kingdom,” he finally utters when he has lowered his gaze. “And you have been invited to our Crown Prince’s twentieth birthday celebration. You ought to know the customs and traditions of your own country, Hyukjae.”

 

The latter winces a little upon hearing his own name spoken with such a scary tone of voice, and hastily looks away.

The très-haute et très-puissante House of Lee’s has, in fact, moved to the peaceful country of Eletyrh when he had only been a small boy of four, all to avoid the terrible consequences of the raging war that had been occurring between their Kingdom of Solemnée and the one of Etruria. He had been raised in the easy customs and traditions of his adopted country, mostly to keep away from any trouble but also so he wouldn’t be too overwhelmed by all his lessons. His parents still had been very adamant that he learned the complex languages of both Kingdoms, so he would always remember his roots.

Now that the war has been over for almost four entire seasons, however, days are nothing if joyful and festive back at their native land. All the blood spilled and the lives lost seemed to be only a faint remnant of a collective nightmare, one they are all desperately trying to bury somewhere deep in the back of their mind. The Crown Prince’s upcoming twentieth birthday is only another wonderful occasion to celebrate their seemingly endless happiness as much as it is possible, and also to forget about their loss. And, as the heir of the noblest family of the Solemnée Kingdom, His Grace Hyukjae has been invited, along with the other members of his family and all the crew of their household, to come back to their mother kingdom and settle back where they truly belong.

The young man isn’t particularly against the idea of going back to the Kingdom of his birth, although he knows only the language and remembers absolutely nothing else of it, except for a vague memory of their old castle. The only thing that truly, really bothers him are the endless hours of studying his tutor has decided to throw upon him, stating he needs to have perfect knowledge of their country’s customs and traditions before the celebration.

 

“I know that,” he sniffs moodily, presence forgotten in favor of sulking. “But it’s boring, and it’s so sunny outside! Can we just do that another time, please?”

 

Kangin wearily pinches the bridge of his nose, then slowly grits through his teeth, “Hyukjae, we are all moving tomorrow, first thing in the morning; there’s hardly any more time after that for you to properly assimilate all you need to be aware of.”

 

Whining shamelessly – a useful skill he learned from his father –, the younger brunet only continues to moan for a break and gesticulates on his chair like a madman for a good couple of minutes. It only takes that much effort before his tutor finally gives in to his demands, cringing from head to toe at his undignified behavior, as though it is a personal offense to his careful sensibilities.

The young man lets out a loud sound of triumphant as soon as the other grudgingly allows him to go out and rest for a while, then immediately dashes for the door.  

 

“Be back in an hour!” Kangin bellows after him while he is already halfway down the corridor. “In an hour, Hyukjae!”

 

Hyukjae ignores him.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

After having managed to avoid his tutor for the rest of the day and until dawn – with the help of cooperative maids and partners in crime –, the young man gets a severe scolding upon settling inside the luxurious carriage that is supposed to bring them all the way to the Kingdom of Solemnée. He humbly listens to each of his admonishing words, although he cannot help but share amused glances with his younger brother, who smoothly feigns to be peering outside the window every time Kangin sends them suspicious glares.

Kyuhyun, His Grace the Second Son of the très-haute et très-puissante House of Lee’s, only snickers a little more under his breath when the scolding gets even stricter, but obligingly refrains from saying a word when a warning look is thrown in his direction. The latter has apparently managed to learn by heart all the customs and traditions they are supposed to know by the night of the celebration, for which his own tutor, Sungmin, lets him rest for the whole of the journey.

The lucky bastard, Hyukjae thinks mournfully as a monotonous flow of boring words fills the carriage and tries to find its way to his brain.

 

“And as such,” Kangin continues to ramble in his low voice. “Grabbing the heart of a Noble Son or Noble Daughter of Solemnée shall result in –…”

 

The young brunet feels his eyelids becoming heavier and heavier with each beautiful landscapes he catches a glimpse of from outside the scrawny window of the carriage, mind miles away from the improvised lessons. He only gets teeny bits of odd and complex traditions he has no heart in remembering, and lets himself being cradled by the irregular rocking of the cart instead.

 

“Saying these words, after this particular sort of action –…” his tutor says. “– if accepted by the Noble Son or Noble Daughter involved –…”

 

Tall trees and pretty flowers border the sinuous roads, while a blue sky and a warm sun happily brighten up the path they are taking; there are lakes with emerald-green water, clearings with thousand colors, and charming towns with smiling villagers. He easily notices the slight differences in culture and style between what he knows to be of the Eletyrh Kingdom and what he supposes to have been influenced by the one of Solemnée, hazel orbs curious to find these subtle nuances as they gradually become more and more accentuated.

 

“Thus, as the tradition demands –…”

 

A fraction of minute later, and in spite of Kangin’s outraged hisses of protest, Hyukjae falls into a peaceful slumber.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

It takes almost three entire weeks before the carriages finally reach the outskirts of Béllyor, capital of the Solemnée Kingdom, and then another good couple of hours before they eventually reach their property.

Hyukjae feels like turning into a large puddle of exhaustion upon stepping a foot on the courtyard of his new – old? – castle, which he does not hold back from showing. His private tutor gives him an exasperated look when he starts whining again, but stays quiet and helps him to get down the cart instead, while his younger brother only complains louder than himself.

 

“I’m so tired,” Kyuhyun groans as he readjusts his heavy clothes onto his shoulders. “And hungry. Please tell me there’s something to eat in there.”

 

“Manners, young boy,” Sungmin sing-songs as they both head towards the flight of stairs that leads to the i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter