("01000101 01110000 01101001 01101100 01101111 01100111 01110101 01100101")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

For me, a happy ending is not everything works out just right and there is a big bow, it's more coming to a place where a person has a clear vision of his or her own life in a way that enables them to kind of throw down their crutches and walk.

 

It was the way Seung was holding one eyebrow up in the air that Jongdae knew something interesting was going on behind the phone.

"Babysitting?" She asks as Jongdae takes a seat on the couch, waiting, "How old are they again? Am I even entitled to the safety of a one year old?"

She rolls her eyes and moves to glance out the window at the receding light, still in her red swim suit, turning to face Jongdae's direction again as he takes out his phone and plays a game.

"I don't care if it's technically a thirteenth-month old, that's the same as a year to me." She remarks, placing a hand on her hip. It falls off again as something else is brought up.

"Here? Couldn't you get one of the others to do it? Didn't you move in with Suho already?"

There's a sigh.

"How sentimental. Fine."

Seung hangs up and tosses the phone by Jongdae on the couch, who looks up from his game.

"Who are you babysitting?" He asks, only giving half his attention.

"Yixing's cousins." Seung replies, but now Jongdae puts the phone down to sit up straight.

"Why? have you even met them?" He asks.

"I did once, when I became a boy for two days." She remembers and Jongdae cracks a sly smile.

"And when did you decide to forget to mention this to me?" He questions but Seung shakes her head.

"I'm not explaining it to you now. You can use your imagination as I get ready."

"How old is the other?" Jongdae asks and settles back into the couch.

"The twins are both six." Seung calls down the hall as she goes to her room to change. Jongdae perks up again and his back leaves the couch.

"Twins?" He quietly asks, then gets to his feet and pads down the hall. When he reaches his room, the door closes behind him and leaves Seung to her own thoughts.

 

When the doorbell rings, she answers and meets Yixing's smiling face. His aunt was behind him, holding the baby and their bag of things. She lets them into the entryway and the bag is ed into her hands.

"This has their pajamas and another change of clothes. I provided snacks and a few movies. I'd prefer they went to bed before nine, but they'll probably fall asleep before then." Zhen starts to explain as she hands off the children one by one. Jiao and Keung run upstairs and sit at the top, waiting for their mother to leave. The baby is given to her and he remains limp from sleep.

"If he wakes up just feed him some of what I prepared, or change him. Extra diapers are in the bag as well."

"Okay..." Seung trails off, taking in the things she wasn't prepared for. Yixing never said anything about overnight.

Jongdae appears at the top of the stairs and weaves around the kids, but he had fancy clothes on and was reaching into the closet for his jacket.

"Where are you going?" 

"Date night with the husband!" he quickly explains and Minseok appears at the top of the stairs next.

"Wait, you didn't tell me there would be people." He complains, knowing that Jongdae tricked Seung once again into work while they had fun. Jongdae waves him off and gets their shoes.

"If you doddle we'll be late." he warns and gestures for Minseok to follow. The elder snorts and rolls his eyes, giving Seung a sympathetic smile.

"If you need to reach us, you know the number, but I doubt kids can aspire to anything like last time you were left alone." He jokes and accepts his coat from his husband as they make their way out the door. It was a warm summer's evening, but the clouds from earlier had grown to a chance of rain later on, so they didn't want to be caught in it while unprotected.

The wind was furious earlier when Seung and Chnayeol had been on his parent's boat. She still recalls the serious expression on his father's face when he asked to ride out with her alone after they dropped the others off at the dock. It was one-on-one fishing lessons for another hour, holding the line with her forefinger to feel for any bites as the line hung freely, elevated six inches off the bottom. It was all clearly explained, but she wasn't sure why he took her aside to teach her all these things.

The silence was nice between them, though.. It was two people in each other's company and nothing more.

That moment was one that had to be cherished. It was because of Chanyeol she was in this situation to begin with, otherwise she'd be in her old house, still slaving behind a computer each night, passing away the days in hidden grief and a deep hatred for her own life. Without Chanyeol, she could even be in jail for her supposed crimes.

She hated change, but sometimes it was good. Seung would say she's been changed for the better, and it was a wonderful feeling to finally see relief to all her problems. Maybe miracles did happen.

Sometimes viruses were a good thing, because they can help people - like when Seung's virus sent the message to the agency, or how they helped the security of the military's systems figure out where their weak points were. This time, a certain happy virus brought so much change into her life that it restarted her entire console, but restarts were good things. They allowed updates to be confirmed and sometimes stopped things that weren't good for the entire system. Restarts let everything begin again.

Chanyeol came into her life and let everything begin again. He was running with her, that's for sure, but now he was helping to lead her back to where she came from. He guided her out of the fog and back into the sunshine and beauty of life. Now, he was teaching her how to face her fears.

Many people compare life to the sea because of it's vastness and terrifying qualities of the unknown. To Seung, the sea could be compared to her biggest fears, which could make perfect sense in both ways. Life and the sea - they used to terrify her both.

Now, however, she was willing to dive into it's depth and discover what was inside. Hand-in-hand with the ones she loved, she was prepared to dance among the waves and sink beneath the surface.

Her heart was beating again, finally free from the chains and cement she previously tried to bind it with. Despite her attempts at remaining alone in the world, there was someone who found her in the darkness and brought her to the surface, fighting for her even when she fought back.

It was beautiful - their love. Born in hardships and secrets, it came to be the best thing she's had in a long time, and she wouldn't have it any other way.

Zhen's soon waving and kissing her children goodbye as Yixing brings her to dinner. Seung learns that the youngest child's name is Deshi, which was helpful because the other two were probably not likely sources of good information.

Soon enough, the house is empty of all but one adult, leaving her to try to tame the twins running after each other, stopping to watch Mizu standing on the counter. He waggles his feathery tail and makes a soft hissing sound that makes them fear him for a short period of time, until Seung's assuring them that males don't quack like females do, and this was normal.

They were very gentle as he came closer, retracting their hands from the edge in fear he'd bite them, but Seung feeds him a handful of grain and demonstrates how he's not vicious in the way they imagined. Deshi remains asleep as she pulls the baby away from Mizu as protection. She didn't have any sort of crib for him, but she was sure they could come up with something.

Th

Please log in to read the full chapter