("11101")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.

 

She was finally done. There was nothing left for her to do. Everything she'd done up to this point was over with, and now she had nothing.

Jongdae was shocked. She'd done that in a little under a month. February was inching around the corner of three days, and she already hacked into half a dozen government servers and typed code until she fell asleep at night. He was impressed.

But, she rejected the option of starting over. They gave her a chance of changing her name and moving away,  but she said she wanted to finish the messed up life she had now until the very end, even if it meant people would come after her. Something about the way she spoke made it seem more open to the attacks than what she was really letting on, but they at least gave her a change of clothes.

As soon as she steps out of the sleeping room in the fresh shirt and jeans, though, one hand grabs her elbow and holds it there as she stares at the ground. It was already night, and she literally had nowhere to go.

"What about that Baekhyun dude?" Jongdae asks, but she shakes her head and continues to bite her lip - a habit he watched her develop over time when she wasn't brushing her thumbnail over her lower lip in thought.

"You have to stay somewhere." Jongdae insists. Seung purses her lips and keeps her eyes down. She was originally planning on finding a relative out of town, or maybe another country, but, truthfully, she didn't think she'd make it this far.

Jongdae suddenly snaps his fingers and his eyes brighten with an idea. His grip on her elbow tightens and he starts to lead her away.

"I got it! You'll stay with us. It'll be great, and we have an extra room you could stay in. Minseok only for cooks breakfast, but that's probably okay. We'll have to get you things to wear, as well. Oh, it could be so fun, like shopping for a niece, who is close to the same age as me." He rambles, tugging her along. Seung's eyes widen as she's dragged upstairs and left in the front. Jongdae disappears back inside the main office area, then returns a while later with his work bag. Minseok was trailing after him.

"I hope you don't mind leftovers." He comments as they walk out to find their car. The air was still cold, but not as bitter as before, and it had a far more crisp and refreshing feel to it than the dead of winter. That's because it wasn't winter anymore, but the beginning days of spring. Time flew by when she was cooped up in a small room.

Seung digs her heels in the ground when they near a a black Sedan and stares in confusion.

"I'll drive." Jongdae insists and Minseok tosses the keys over the car and opens the backseat door for Seung. She blinks and remains still, and Minseok smiles.

"We're not kidnapping you, I promise." He assures and gestures inside.

"I can just find somewhere else." Seung mumbles, but Jongdae places his arms on the top of the car and gives her a look.

"Oh yeah? like where?" he asks. Seung clears , "I thought so. Come on, we don't bite."

Seung wraps her arms around herself and looks back at the federal building, but releases a deep breath and moves to climb inside the car with the other two.

 

"Any particular reason we got a piano?" Chanyeol asks, sliding his hand over the smooth, black surface. A section of space between the dining room and living room was taken up by a baby grand piano that was brought in by three large men and set down.

Yixing comes down the stairs and runs over to it with a dimpled smile, lifting the large wooden piece over the keys and looking at the black and white. He places his hands over them and presses down, listening to the fine tuning of a brand new piano. Chanyeol nods in understanding.

"Ah, that's why." he remarks and Suho comes down to join them, smiling as well. Kai looks up from the couch and snickers.

"Ah, Suho. You're such a sugar daddy." He teases. Yoora perks up from her cuddle position with Kai and struggles to get out of the space between her boyfriend and the couch cushion. She wiggles away and skirts around the side of the couch, soft socks padding her adventure over to the piano. She sits on the bench and looks at the keys, setting her hands on top and thinking to herself, scouring her memory. She plays a measure, then stops as she remembers the rest. broken pieces of a song come together and she smooths out the bumps as the others watch.

"Where did you learn to play?" Kai asks, reluctantly getting to his feet.

"My mom taught Seung and I when we were kids." Yoora replies. At the mention of her sister's name, Chanyeol's smile falters slightly. They glance at him to see his smile surviving longer than usual, and they feel assured in some way.

Baekhyun comes sliding down the pole and reaches the bottom.

"When did we get a piano?" He asks. Yixing slides himself alongside Yoora and starts to play something, and she watches his hands, but doesn't recognize the song.

 

The house was beautiful - the outside, at least. There was a large apple tree whose buds were staring to form from the welcoming sunshine and new warm temperatures. It was dark and cold now, but daytime was a definite change from the Winter landscape that always came back after the sun went down.

The couple walks towards the house and Seung slowly follows them.

"Okay, so there's leftovers in the fridge, our cell phone numbers are on this paper if you need to contact us. The second to last bedroom down the hall is open for you to use. If anyone comes to the door, say you're a cousin and we're in the shower, or something. We'll be back before midnight, sunshine." Jongdae explains when they unlock the door to the house. Seung blinks in confusion as his words settle in.

"Wait, what?" She asks when Minseok walks towards closet in the entryway and finds a new coat to wear, sliding it on.

"You didn't tell her? You liar." Minseok accuses, lightly punching Jongdae's arm. The latter smiles and puts his hands up in defense.

"She wouldn't have agreed if I said we weren't going to be here, and you've been wanting to see that movie for a while." He defends.

"You're going out?" Seung asks and the two stop fighting to look at her.

"Not any-"

"Yes we are. You're going to have some fun whether you want to or not!" Jongdae exclaims and suddenly bends down. Minseok is thrown over his shoulder and squeals in surprise, but Jongdae gives a little wave when he starts to struggle and closes the door behind them, leaving Seung to stare at the door in silence. She can hear Minseok's objections outside, but the car soon starts up again and it's tires crunch on melting snow and old ice as it pulls out of the driveway and goes down the street once more.

Seung takes her shoes off on the doormat and pads up the stairs. There were two levels to the house: downstairs and upstairs. Seung decides to leave them their privacy and stay upstairs for the night, and talk to them later when they come home. She finds the kitchen easily and stands in the center of the tile covered floor. The fridge makes a low rumbling noise as runs, and she slowly brings a hand over the handle, pulling the door open.

It was filled with plastic containers of food, each made at different times. Many were half-empty, but some seemed quite recent. Seung closes the fridge after seeing a bottle of soju and opens the freezer. As soon as she pulls the door open - slightly stuck from frost - the fridge rocks and the fan behind the back panel starts making a loud grating sound. 

Seung compares it to a ghost howling and jumps back in surprise, not knowing what to do. She grips the paper Jongdae gave her and looks at the number, spotting a home phone hanging from the nearby wall. She crosses the distance and grabs it off of it's perch, dialing the number.

"It hasn't even been ten - oh, wait. I hear it. Yeah, just take the stuff out and bang the back. If that doesn't work, you'll have to remove everything and open up the back. Just slide in a pen or something and stop the fan for a second. That usually works. Have fun."

He hangs up without even letting her speak. She sighs and places the phone back up on the wall, looking at the loud fridge. The freezer door was still open, streams of white steam pouring off the frozen food

Please log in to read the full chapter