Amahlie Brandt

If I Knew

“MS. BRANDT.” Naeem bellowed. Amahlie opened the bathroom door and walked towards Naeem, wrapping her arms around the man once she got to him. “I’m done. I’m finished…fin.”          “Yeah, yeah whatever. When Lynda gets here, we’re leaving, so whether you’re done or not…I don’t care…we out! With or without you.” Amahlie softly presses her lips against Naeem’s. “OW!” Naeem shrieks. “You bit me, crazy!” Naeem laughed to his girlfriend. “You can’t keep Lynda all to yourself, Yusufzai.  The girl is HOT!”   “…what?”   “HAHAHA! She is! And you can’t deny it….what if one day you found out I was cheating on you with Lynda??” Amahlie hysterically questioned. Naeem smirked at the dirty idea coming to his head, then shook his head, and unhooked from Amahlie, to pick his shades up from the table. “Yeah, well…” He started “Lynda is strictly and so are you, so shut up, thanks.” He finished. Amahlie laughed at his response, then came up behind him and put her arms over his shoulders.  leaned over, to lift Amahlie off the floor. Once he completely got her on his back Amahlie softly spoke in his ear, “In all honesty Naeem, if it’s not me…you can’t date anyone besides Lynda, okay? I know she looks out for you, and you love her. So if it’s not me…it cannot be anyone else…but her”, once that was said the doorbell almost immediately rang. Amahlie hopped off Naeem’s back. “YIPPEE.” She said childishly as she jumped up and clicked her heels.  She ran to go open the door. Once she got to the door, she turned and winked at Naeem before opening his door. Causing him to bend over with laughter and uncertainty.

 

 

 

“So Amahlie how’s my boy been treating you since he’s been on break. You better say like a princess…” Lynda say pointing her fork at Amahlie. “If she doesn’t say like a princess, I’m gonna you up, Na-Na.” She said redirecting her statement and poking her fork at Naeem. “Don’t worry Lynn!” Amahlie sweetly said. “If he ever get out of control, I’ll be able to handle mine, but don’t worry...” Amahlie smiled. “…like a princess.” Amahlie stared at Naeem the entire time she spoke, then she leaned in to kiss her boyfriend. Amahlie’s intentions weren’t to be rude, but it came off the wrong way towards Lynda. She chuckled to herself at the girl’s sudden viciousness. When Amahlie came up for air, there was an awkward silence among the three. Naeem nervously cleared his throat. Lynda could easily see the confusion on his face. To Amahlie it was simple: Lynda was being a friend, and everything was all good. Her sarcasm, wasn’t that big of a deal. To Lynda it was also simple: Amahlie could see through her like a window. She loved this man. Correctio she was in love with this man and at a point in time, there was a moment where she thought she would be where Amahlie is today, but she would never disrespect Naeem or her like that. She thought Amahlie would be able to see this, but clearly not. To Naeem…it was confusing as hell. He noticed how awkward Lynda had gotten and he couldn’t get the pang of guilt he felt from his chest. But he had no reason to feel guilty, he thought to himself. Plus Amahlie’s comment earlier made his head spin. He and Lynda had a couple of intimate moments during the ‘Fools in Nirvana’ tour. Lynda was watching his younger sister, because she was the only celebrity nanny that would sit the girl for 6 months straight. they were really close all the time, they pranked and teased each other…they fought a lot too, but they couldn’t stay mad with each other, not for too long, anyway. With Lynda, Naeem…he just fit. But then they tour ended he got busy and she did as well. They tweeted each other a congrats every now and then but that was about it. It was extremely hard to keep up with each other through the phone…and of course Naeem’s beeper, fate just didn’t connect them back to each other, until now when Lynda happened to be handling some business in Honolulu, and coincidentally Naeem was on break at the same time. When they’d met back up for the first time in a while, it was like they’d never been but five minutes away from each other. Lynda was his best friend…well second to Naeem and Mohammed of course, but Naeem realized how much Lynda had meant him, now that she was back in his life for a short while, and he never just wanted her to vanish no matter who he was with, or where he was, or who she was to be with in the future. Back during the tour he knew he had an inkling about making a move on her, and there’s no doubt in his mind that she would’ve been okay with he just didn’t. But now he had Amahlie.  And he was connected to Amahlie. And he was in love with Amahlie. But he felt so much regret and guilt. Both Amahlie and Lynda picked up on Naeem’s mood. They exchanged looks. “Baby, you okay?” Amahlie asked, while rubbing his back. Naeem looked up at her, then to Lynda. “Huh? …I’m fine.” He said solemnly. Lynda inhaled and held her breath. “Well you guys! Let’s ditch this place! “Lynda exhaled. Naeem's eyes shifted to Lynda silently thanking her. She met his eyes and nodded as she got up from the table. Naeem placed the money in the check folder, and went to start his car. The two ladies quietly chatted and followed behind.

 

“Hey babe drop me off first. I’m drained and it ain’t even 6PM yet.” Amahlie yawned. Lynda cracked up from the backseat. “My mama used to call that niggaitis.” Lynda said through her laughter. Naeem cracked up “Ha ha!” Amahlie said “You two !” she yawned again Naeem made a left turn and halted in front of his first garage. “Bye babe.” Amahlie kissed Naeem. “See you when I get back!” He responded. After Amahlie went into his house, Naeem sighed. “You okay Naeem?” Lynda struggled as she jumped over the cup holder’s compartment to get to the front seat. “I’m fine…NOSY. Are you and Amahlie out to get me or something? Y’all have been acting weird all day…BOTH OF YOU.” Naeem exclaimed. “Nah.” Lynda giggled. “That’s cute though.” She said pointing to him. It was silent for a second. “..Nah but Amahlie is as gorgeous as before...” Naeem sighed and quickly looked away from Lynda. “Thanks.” he deadpanned “...no problem. I don’t think she likes me very much though…” Naeem accidentally hit the brakes, causing horns to honk at him. He rolled down his tinted windows, stuck his head out and yelled “SORRY!!”  Lynda heard someone yell ‘oh my gosh, it’s NAEEM!’ Naeem then rolled his window up, sped up, and quickly turned the next corner. Finally he sighed “What makes you come to that assumption, Lyyyyynnniee.” Naeem dragged out as he pulled up to her fancy hotel. There were two hotel employees outside of the door, so he parked there and waited for Lynda’s answer. “EW.” She shrieked causing Naeem to jump. “Don’t ever call me that again, shortie.” “Woman, you are shorter than m-“ “SHATTT AHP. Nobody asked you, did they? …now…the whole ‘I handle mine’ thing. What the hell was that all about?” She questioned. Naeem laughed “AWWW.” He said attempting to pinch Lynda’s cheeks. Lynda swatted his hands out of her face. “Wittle Lynn’s first time tasting Brandt’s sarcasm!!” “I am about to punch you in your throat” Lynda threatened. Naeem cackled. “Amahlie is ALWAYS being sarcastic, Lynda, even more so if she likes you.” Lynda shrugged and sighed. “And trust me...she likes you.” Lynda looked at Naeem o and raised an eyebrow. “Like right before you got dropped off at my place, she asked me what would I think if she cheated on me with you , then she mentioned something abooout..” Naeem trailed off into silence. Lynda snapped her fingers in Naeem’s face. “A-BOOOOOUUUT…?” She repeated. She took her seatbelt off turned in her seat and started pushing Naeem’s shoulder. “About. About. About. About. About. About.” Lydna constantly repeated in a robotic voice, as she forcefully shoved Naeem’s shoulder each time she said…’about’. “OKAY DAMN, GIRL!”  Naeem yelled to stifle his laughter. “She said something about me being with her and no one else, unless it was you.” Lynda’s face had shock written on it completely. “Well I was absolutely wrong about her! …SORRY Brandt!” She shouted to no one in particular. Naeem opened his door and walked around to the passenger’s side and opened the door for Lynda. She hopped out Naeem’s car and firmly shut his door. He sighed as he embraced Lynda for a hug. “Whatcha doin tomorrow gyal?”  Lynda smiled in his neck. “Absolutely nothing, …well packing. Tomorrow is my last day here.” She sighed “Yup. Then I’m jettin it back to da AYYYE” Lynda said as she held up her Atlanta sign with her fingers, showing her bright blue nail polish. “Oh my god you are so country!” Naeem laughed. “You have literally resided in the most country places ever . . . besides New York!” “Yeah yeah, whatever, we’ve talked about this.” Lynda shot back as she rolled her eyes. She inhaled as she pulled away from the hug that had lasted at least two minutes. “Can I pick you up before you go? Me and Naim are hitting my studio for some relaxing studio time. And I have this song  to finish up, and well, I just want you to come before you go…what time you leaving?” Lynda looked up into Naeem’s eyes. “Lucky for you my jet doesn’t leave until 11:30PM tomorrow!” She laughed. “You are SUCH a little . Had me thinking you were leaving earlier!” Naeem shook his head and tsked. “Okay, well come by at six have dinner with me and Naim, ya know chill-“ “HU-HAHAHA-HUHA!!” Lynda childishly laughed and interrupted. Naeem gave her a stank face and softly mushed her head, causing her to giggle like a baby. “You are so weird, Lynda Robinson” He said as he pulled her in for a side hug “ANY-WAYY. Then just be with us in the studio ya know?” He finished. Lynda nodded in his chest. They sat there for a moment. Once again Lynda inhaled Naeem’s scent from his shirt and pulled away. “Well, uh...” She started in a choked voiced. She cleared her voice and began again “Um…let me go inside before some head with a camera comes and starts some mess in the tabloids.” “Wait.” Naeem immediately said. He pulled Naeem back into his arms. “I love you ok? No matter if Amahlie likes you or not (which she does), I’ll still love you. You’ve encouraged me so much, and rooted for me, and I just can’t repay for any of that Lynda, so I just want you to know that I love you. No matter how long we may go without talking. I. Still do…and always will love you. You’re my fam, Robinson.” Naeem felt Lynda’s breathing get uneven on his chest. “Okay, babe.”  She’d said so quietly, that she thought only she heard. Naeem kissed her on the forehead, and let her go. He watched her go into the grand hotel he was parked in front of. The hotel employees were still there, but they seemed to have not moved since the last time Naeem actually paid them any mind. He got into his car, turned the engine on, and turned it right back off. His thoughts begin to blur, and his eyes began to water. He gritted his teeth, and let out one painful sob. He had heard her response.. After that he cleared his mind of the day, cleaned up his face a little bit with the sleeve of his tropical shirt, and drove to his house where his girlfriend was probably knocked out at.

 

 

"oh, oh, oh, I, I know it breaks your heart

to picture the only one you wanna love

in someone else’s arms,

but I wouldn’t done

all the things that I have done

if I knew one day you’d come”