Outing

128√e980

After Bobby handed her the foods she ordered, Shahila smiled at him.

"I hope you will have an enjoyable meal," he said before looking around and started to speak in English back, "Do you have to go anywhere after this?"

She shook her head, "No, why?"

He beamed and muttered, "My shift almost over. Do you want to go out with me?"

She never expected him to say that, she almost blushed before he added, "To the shopping mall maybe?"

Shahila shook her head, "Oh, I don't like shopping actually, but I can accompany you if you want."

"No, let's just go to wherever you want. I'm okay with anything," he said with a hope that she would agree to go out with him.

She pondered for awhile before finally nodding her head, "Okay."

 

Later, Bobby led her to his car and drove to a garden located not far from their university. It was a beautiful garden, with lush view of blooming flowers and green grass.

It was undeniably calm and peaceful.

They went to sit at one of the benches there, in the safe distance between them; not too close, not too far away from each other. 

Bobby fiddled with his Been Trill cap while Shahila pursed her lips into a thin line, not knowing what to say, how to start the conversation. They have been so awkward since the start, without knowing why.

"Well," Bobby finally spoke, his voice unsure, "I never thought we will be super awkward like this," he forced out a laugh and Shahila couldn't help laughing too, "I know right."

"Anyway, since when have you been working there?" Shahila carefully asked, "And you can even speak in Malay, which caught me by surprise!"

Jiwon laughed again, "While studying here, I learn to speak Malay too. Well, it is important in order to live well here," he put on his cap back and added, "If I don't know how to speak in Malay, it will be hard for me to find job."

Shahila nodded understandingly before asking again, "Do you really have to work?" She bit her lower lip, afraid if her question would offend him or something, but gladly, he didn't.

He only formed a soft smile, "I have to. It's the only way for me to survive here. Or else," he looked at her, "I will die."

She widened her eyes before worriedly asked, "D- die?? Why would you die?"

He let out a amused chuckle, "I'm just kidding, Shahila."

She huffed out a relieved sigh and he muttered, "But if I don't work, I will not have money. If I don't have money, I don't get to buy food. If I don't get to buy food, I cannot eat. If I cannot eat, I will die eventually. Right?"

Shahila smiled, "What a detailed reasoning..."

He chuckled, "I have scholarship, but it's not quite enough, so I have no choice. Plus, my family is not financially well."

"You are a very interesting guy," she uttered softly, "I'm glad I meet you." Thank you for existing in my life.

"You too, Shahila," Thank you for accepting my presence in your life.

"Anyway, what brings you to the restaurant I work at? Are you stalking me?" He and she snorted, "Excuse me??"

"Kidding," he giggled, showing off his bunny smile and she was thankful that she didn't faint at that moment, "What were you doing there? Alone?"

She sighed as she recalled her disappointing journey. "Well, I.. I was there to buy ticket for this upcoming holiday, but it sold off."

"Sold off?" He asked, feeling sorry for her. 

He knew it was Hari Raya Puasa holiday, which is a happy and a must for all Muslim, like her. It is a celebration with family, but if the ticket sold off, doesn't that mean she couldn't go home? 

What a sad fate.

Well, not like he can go back to Korea, either.

"The holiday starts more than a month later, right?" He asked again and she nodded with a sour face, "It's still early, how can it sold off?"

"I know right. Everyone is too excited to go home, haishhh," she nagged on her own and Jiwon couldn't help smiling widely, in amusement.

"But what about you?" She shifted her attention toward him, "Where are you going during this holiday? Are you going back to Korea?"

He laughed bitterly, "In my dream, Shahila..."

"Then?" She asked, with a sorry look toward him. I should be grateful. He was having a worse time than me. At least, I live in the same country as my family, but him?

"I don't know-" He suddenly plastered her full attention at her as he thought about something that came into his mind, "Ummm... Shahila.."

"Yeap?"

"Do you mind if I follow you home during this school holiday?" 

Her eyes rounded, in a state of disbelief with his unexpected request.

"I can drive you home."

"Are you saying that..." She stuttered out, "You want to stay..." The air seemed thick.. Too thick out of the blue,  "At my house?"

He nodded eagerly, "I have always wanted to experience how Muslims celebrate Hari Raya Puasa."

"Are you serious?" She asked again. It's just too hard for her to register this.

"Yes, Shahila. Do I look like I'm kidding now?"