Intertwined

The Seondaewang's Code (The Great King's Code)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Lee Hayi, East Hanyang infirmary volunteer. Please let me in. I need to go in!" Hayi showed the guard her wooded name tag although everyone already knows her by her face. Who would not recognize the Defense Minister's daughter? 

The guard by the gate stepped aside and bowed at her.

"You don't have to fret, Lady Hayi. Your mother is fine—"

"Even so. Let me in please,"

"Lady Hayi... I am sorry but it was an order not to allow anyone to get out of this place for investigation. And once you get it, you might be subject to it too. Please wait here for Professor Lee."

Hayi sighed in defeat knowing that it might be really impossible now to enter the premises. But she tried not to be held down. If she was just worried for her mother she would have already barged into the university without further thinking. But she was pondering of ways to go inside.

Because she wanted to get in for another reason and she couldn't afford to be rejected.

"Agassi... Let's go," her servant tried to pull her back but she didn't waver and instead broke free from her grip.

"You don't understand! My mother is not in a very good health condition!"

The guards were taken aback when Hayi said that. They looked at each other each other and cleared their throat. "Is that so, Lady Hayi?"

"My father will not forgive me if something happens to my mother. Please let me in. I'll leave my servant here if you still doubt me,"

The guards coughed nervously knowing this will reach the Defense Minister's knowledge once he comes back and as if communicating mentally, the two reached to a decision and stepped aside.

"In you go now, Lady Hayi. You can find your mother at Minister Dong's office. I will you inside—"

"No need. I can go there by myself. I know where it is located,"

 

Holding her skirt up as she ran into Sungkyunkwan, Hayi's heart was thumping loudly while uttering a prayer to the Gods and her ancestors.

 "Please forgive me for using my mother as an excuse. Please forgive me," she kept on uttering in between her breath as she rushed towards the West wing where the Minister of Education's office lies.

She was already nearing it when she saw a couple of guards along with Minister Dong and Chief Councilor Choi heading her way. She immediately hid in a corner and waited until they were past her, afraid she'll get thrown out once they see her.

What happened was something not to be taken lightly and could be considered a threat to the crown prince and to the royal family.

It made her breathless just by thinking what could have happened to the crown prince. It was hard to explain, the kind of worry and fear she was feeling, and the fact that she has no access to see the crown prince nor the right and strength to do so, she thought of seeing her mother and ask from her.

After making sure it was safe to cross the path, she carried her skirt up and ran as fast as she could, barging into the room and closing the door behind her.

She leaned back onto the door and clutched her chest as she tried to catch her breath not noticing the pair of eyes watching her.

"What are you doing here?"

She snapped her eyes open and she let out a not so graceful squeal when she saw the crown prince glaring at her.

"J-j-eoha..."

She looked around the room to check if she was mistaken but she has been here quite a few times before she knew she was in the right one.

"I... I..."

"Have you lost your tongue?" The crown prince asked her, amused by her shocked expression. Hayi lowered her head and bowed deeply.

"Forgive me, jeoha! I was looking for my mother because I heard something happened earlier." She kept her head low and played with her fingers. When she was told where her mother was, she never thought it will be the same place where the crown prince was in. She shut her eyes helplessly until she heard Hanbin speak again.

"That's all?" she lifted her gaze and saw the crown prince marvelling at his own bandaged hand. "Were you not here to  ask if I am alright?"

Hayi swallowed hard and looked away feeling the heat crawling up to her cheeks.

"I... I am not someone who deserves to know. Forgive me—"

"The bow was not the one I should have used. It might have been replaced before I arrived. It snapped and broke right in my grip and caused my hand to bleed severely,"

Hayi furrowed her brows, confused on why the crown prince was telling it a to her. Well, they were fine when they were young, but things started to be awkward when the prince started ignoring her presence when her parents, especially her father, started opening up marriage conditions with Chief Councilor Choi Seunghyun.

It was never a secret to them though, that she was set to marry Choi Taehyun one day, but the thought made her choke as if she was being strangled to death. She will forever commit the sin of lying if she would deny the fact that she has never seen Choi Taehyun more than a brother.

"H-h-ow do you feel, jeoha?"

"I am fine. I am just afraid I might have worried my queen mother."

"It is a relief that you are safe, jeoha. Please do not worry so much. Jungjeong Mama is a very strong woman,"

"Are you relieved I am safe for yourself or for my mother? I am quite confused,"

Hayi glanced up when she heard Hanbin's voice nearing her and when she directed her gaze on him, he has stood up and was just almost an arm away. She swallowed hard and felt her chest, asking herself to calm down for she was too afraid he might hear the loud beating of her heart.

"Lady Hayi..."

"Y-y-ou... You can say both, jeoha. As a law abiding people pf Joseon, I am worried for your welfare."

"Worried to the extent of coming all the way here?"

"I beg your pardon, jeoha..."

Hanbin grinned boyishly at her. He pursed his lips, trying to suppress his smile but he failed to do so. He shook his head.

"You look shy and awkward these days. I... I don't understand. Where is the strong willed Lee Hayi I have known when I was young?"

Hayi bit her lip. That part of me was buried deep inside me, forgotten and bound not to show up again.

"I think it's part of the changes we have to endure as we grow up." Hayi answered briefly.

"Changes, you say?"

"Yes, jeoha. What we were when we were younger might not be the same as now anymore."

"Is that so? So you mean, if I seal your lips with a kiss right now you won't punch me in the face anymore?"

"J-j-eoha—" Hayi backed away but she hit the door behind him. She protectively crossed her arms over her chest only to earn her a laughter.

"I don't think you will. Instead I might earn myself a punch or two from my cousin Taehyun."

"How could you still joke around like this when your life was in danger?" Hayi scowled at the prince, annoyed at how she was being taken as a piece of humor. "If you are done, then I must be going."

Hayi bowed before the prince but before she could turn around and leave, she heard Hanbin speak once more.

"Have you really decided on marrying my cousin Taehyun?"

Hayi did not dare meet his gaze for she could already feel it pinning her down to her spot. She balled her fists and shook her head.

"I do not want to disappoint my parents, jeoha."

"That does not answer my question,"

"It does." Hayi lifted her face and eyed Hanbin squarely. "By that I meant I have decided to follow my parents wishes,"

For a moment there was silence between them. She saw Hanbin clench his jaw, his lips forming a thin line of displease, she could tell. She decided to take her leave but even before she could make a step, the door behind her flung open, hitting her back and if not for the crown prince before her, she might have landed with a loud thud on the ground.

"Hyungnim! Hyungnim!" 

It was prince Jinwoo with his crystal clear voice calling for the crown prince. "We can go home now— Omo omo omo!"

The young prince let out a gasp when he saw his older brother embracing Hayi protectively and he had to clamp his mouth when he saw his brother scowling at him.

"Watch your actions, Jinwoo! You could have hurt her!" Hanbin snapped at his brother before turning to Hayi in his arms. "Does it hurt? Are you alright?"

"I am fine," Hayi winced in pain but stepped back uneasily away from the crown prince. She bowed once more to Hanbin then at Jinwoo before finally running out of the room.

"What was that?" Jinwoo asked innocently following Hayi with his gaze before turning to his brother once more. "Hyung wait here, I will just ask for an apology,"

"Don't even bother." Hanbin said as he sighed and sat down.

"Why? Hyungnim... I am really sorry for that. I did not mean it. Do not worry, okay? I won't tell anyone about it,"

"What are you talking about?"

"That you are having a secret affair with Taehyun hyung's woman. Don't worry. I won't tell anyone. I respect you that much— Ouch!"

"What affair? What.... Aisht! Yah. You were the one who barged into this room and she was standing by the door she could have hit the floor because of your carelessness!"

Jinwoo clamped his mouth. 

"Please just consider this thing never happened." Hanbin told his brother before patting his head. "Are you fine now? Not scared anymore?"

Jinwoo shook his head. "How can I be scared when my brother is hurt?"

"I told you I'm fine. Keep it up. That's how a prince should act. One day you'll have to do things on your own. Learn day by day, arrasseo?"

"Neh, hyung!"

 

****************

 

Closing the door behind him, Seunghoon noticed their room was still empty. His roommate Mino was not inside and he heaved a sigh as he thought where the man could possibly be. He untied his hat and placed ut on the table.

After the accident that caused the crown prince a wound on his hand, everyone on the examination ground was prevented from going out of the premises and having had witnessed an unusual activity from the other faction of students, he decided to report it immediately. 

He was about to sit down and just wait for Song Mino when he noticed a note on his desk. He unfolded it and scanned through the contents and soon he found himself running towards the secret exit only he and Mino knows.

But now it seems there was another one.

 

***********

 

"Are you sure you are telling the truth? L

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter