Times Have Changed

The Seondaewang's Code (The Great King's Code)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Open the gates! Open the gates!"

It was late at night and it was very unlikely for anyone to arrive except for some news which might be bad or good. The front gatesmen straightened when a soldier came down from his horse,  catching his breath.

"What are you here for?"

"Commander Lee Harang's order," the soldier said in between his breath as he waved the scroll in his hand. The royal gatesmen inspected it and with a horrified look mixed with sorrow, he passed it on to the head.

"The northern commander's seal. It was an urgent news that the King must immediately know about. Hurry, up! Accompany him to see the royal security at the Central Palace."

"But the king must be taking his rest at this very hour, sir. I do not think the Commander would grant us any entry!"

"This is an urgent situation! The King must know now!"

 

***************

 

"The boys are turning into fine lads, my king. This morning, Daebi Mama was very delighted. Our Jinwoo picked some nice flowers for her while the crown prince wrote her a lovely poem," Dara said as she rested her head on her king's chest. She heaved a sigh of contentment. It was not easy being the country's queen but her family— her loving husband, the king, and her wise and sweet sons, the two princes, made her stay inside the palace very worthwhile.

They made her forget her dark past and give her more strength to move forward. It has been almost fifteen years since he married the King, just the same as Prince Jinwoo's age, while Hanbin, her first born was coronated the crown prince on his coming of age ceremony. He was four years older than Jinwoo and the two princes admire and respect each other.

Well the king was very true to his words. He has never set his eyes on other women. Never even dared to get his attention diverted. He was a righteous leader, a humble grandson to the old queen Dowager, a loving husband to the queen, and a responsible and honorable father to the princes.

"They take after you," Jiyong kissed her forehead and combed her hair. "Sweet and thoughtful and caring and wise and... The list just goes on,"

"I don't really think so, jeonha,"

"You don't... And why is that?"

"Well we both know Hanbin looks up to you and Jinwoo looks up to his hyungnim. So basically, they do follow your footsteps. Though Jinwoo is a bit calm and not as tough as his hyungnim, he will soon—"

"Are we arguing over this matter, my wife?"

"No. I mean... You are the king... I am just someone who supports you—" Dara was shushed when the King tapped her lips gently with his finger.

 "That's how I see it. That's how great you are. The palace deserves a queen like you. You are the very heart of this place. Our life,"

It made the Queen smile. Jiyong has never changed a bit. He was still the same man who is so good with words it can melt any woman's heart.

"You always think so highly of me,"

"Of course. You are one amazing woman. You made my home alive. Made our lives complete. And you gifted me with two princes. What more can I ask for?" Jiyong held her hand and brought it to his lips.

"Aigoo... The boys are growing up so fast," Dara heaved a sigh. "It worries me too,"

"Oh... That," Jiyong nodded and held the queen's hand tighter.

"Hanbin should find himself a crown princess, soon my queen. I am sorry to bring this up but that is what I think should be done to preserve the monarchy. You know that after proclaiming the Great King's Code, most noble families have gone against us."

"B-b-ut... Isn't it too soon?" Dara was horrified to hear it from the king. "You see..."

"Master Wu wrote me a letter about it. He was the one who suggested it,"

Dara bit her lip as she tried to digest the king's words. She wasn't sure if it was her or the crown prince who was not ready yet for it.

"Now don't be sad. Come here. It was just an advice."

"Hanbin was so much like you. You... I mean, we were young when we fell in love. But do you think he already has a woman he fancies? I'm afraid he might feel burdened and would resolve to a wrong decision."

"Hush now, my queen. Do not think too much,"

"I'm sorry but I just cannot help it..."

"Should we make us another prince then so you won't be as lonely?"

"B-b-woh?"

"Or perhaps, a princess so she would take after you?"

"Y-y-ah... Jeonha..." Dara backed away. "That is not a very nice joke,"

"I am not joking. Now come here—"

 

"Jeonha!"

 

Dara stiffened in the king's arms when she heard Sanghyun's voice outside their chamber. She knows her brother too well. His voice sounded like there was something wrong.

"Wait here. I'll see what's going on."

"No... I will go with you, Jeonha."

Jiyong shook his head and kissed her cheek. "Wait here. I'll be back soon,"

 

****************

 

"You are in time. I am quite surprised, Minister Lee," Seunghyun said when he chanced upon Seungri on his way to the king's office. Seungri lifted his face up with a smug grin which quickly faded upon remembering the king's note he received earlier.

"I should be. This is a very urgent situation, Councilor Choi, as you very well know and I am sure this is going to be a long night,"

Seunghyun heaved a sigh. "Indeed it is. I wonder if Daesung and Sanghyun are already on their way."

"I bet they were already ahead of us. Those two always go home late. What's new? Youngbae hyungnim though... He said he will just try to follow. I dropped by his office at the university and he was still in an important meeting with the professors."

"He must be so busy now that they are preparing for the gwageo. And we know that this is the first civil service exam wherein the lower class students will participate. So much change has happened,"

"Yes. I remember failing so many times before I actually feared Hayi might lose her respect for me once she knows about my misconducts when I was young... and free... and careless and...," Seungri shook his head but he frowned when Seunghyun just walked past him. "Yah hyungnim,"

"Let's go. Stop thinking about the past. The King needs us,"

 

************

 

"Hyungnim. Hyungnim!"

 

Hanbin stirred in his sleep when he  heard a familiar voice calling him. He immediately shot up from bed and  looked around.

"Hyungnim!"

The voice was coming from the window to his right and he wondered what his younger brother was up to when he was quite sure it was already late at night. He stood up and ran a hand down his face.

"What is it this time, Jinwoo-ah?" He lazily opened the window and rubbed his eyes. "We have to go to the examination grounds tomorrow morning. Now go back to sleep!"

"But hyungnim..." Jinwoo was in his white silk sleepwear, hugging himself as his knees shook. "I heard a sound inside my room. It's creepy!"

Hanbin shot his brother a look of disbelief. He shook his head and soon he found himself chuckling. "If Appa Mama learns about this then you will get another round of scolding. Aisht. How could a young lad like you act like this?"

"Hyungnim! Please! I  also heard the court ladies talking about... Talking about seondaewang's ghost roaming around! hyungnim. Let me sleep with you, please?"

Hanbin could not believe it. Not again. Jinwoo has always been a coward. Pampered by the Queen and the great Queen Dowager so much, the younger prince has became more like this as he grew up.

And he always pesters the older prince. Hanbin shook his head.

"What seondaewang? Yah! He is Halba-mama! He is our grandfather and he is already in peace. Even if his ghost is roaming around, he will not hurt you. What is wrong with you?"

"But hyungnim!"

"Aisht. Fine. Come here. Quick! Don't let the court ladies see you or this will reach appa mama's knowledge again. Come."

"Thank you hyung— Omo..." 

Jinwoo was about to step up the ledge to the crown prince's window when he saw a group of officials heading towards the gate to the Central Palace.

"What is it?"

"I wonder what is going on... It is already late but the officials are still here."

Hanbin thought for a moment before gasping out loudly. "Come up here quick! That only means appa mama is still awake! Come on!"

 

*******************

 

"Master Wu is very sick and that is making our Commander really troubled." Harang's messenger said as he knelt down before the king who was paying attention to each and every detail.

"And your commander was not able to address this situation properly?" Jiyong frowned and handed the scroll to the head eunuch. "I have entrusted Master Wu's welfare in his hands."

"He had invited all the best doctors in the north but no one can provide the old man some cure. Commander Lee asked Master Wu to travel all the way here for some better treatment but he won't come with us either and kept telling us to leave him be instead because his time is up. Forgive us jeonha,"

The King shut his eyes and pursed his lips. When was the last time he's seen the old man? It was last winter when he surprised the old man with a visit.

The house in the mountain is still where he lives and Harang, despite being the general commander still lives with the old man. 

But he has to admit, Master Wu is getting old. Despite his usual roaring taunting laughter and his still sharp skills to foresee things, anyone can notice the physical difference.  The lines on the old man's face, his now bald head, his bent back and the gray eyes which used be filled with life— he has noticed it before. He was only a coward to admit the reality and kept wishing the man he treated his second father would live a longer life.

A hundred years on earth is not bad but some more years to add to his life can be so much better. The royal family has treated the old man a part of them and the news really bothered the king.

"He can be really stubborn at times." Jiyong mumbled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter