Masks

Ignorance is Bliss

Min walked up the hill, her head resting on his shoulder. Shifting her flushed body on his back, his breath fogged in the air as he carried Sera to her new home.
The lights flickered as he finally neared his destination. She gripped tightly onto him, clinging onto his jacket. Knocking on the door, he stood quietly as he anticipated the silence; a brief minute passed before he unlocked the door himself, leading her inside the home. He trudged silently through the builidng, dragging her drowsy body into the bedroom. The floorboards creaked as he gently placed her sleeping self onto the mattress, hesitating before letting go. Breathing softly, her body twitched as he closed the door behind him. He sank to the ground, burying his face in his hands. Min gripped at his hair desperately, letting out a quiet sob to break the stillness. 

He was unwanted.
Useless. Forgotten. A mistress' child.
He had sat alone in the room, a toy train placed in front of him. Rolling it on the floor, the joy of undisturbed free time delighted his young self. The door cracked open, a disapproving eye peeking from the doorway. Hand at her waist, she stomped inside, multilating the toy with a sharp heel. The shattered plastic spun on the floor; he looked up with a quivering lip, finding a sneer in response. 

"Your smile is disgusting," she had bent down, toying with a sharp piece. "I never want to see it again." Throwing it at his direction, she clomped away, leaving a shaking kid behind her. 

Peeking between his cold fingers, he picked himself up from the ground. His eyes darted behind him before walking away, carefully closing the front door silently. 
Once again, he was forgotten. Unwanted. 

Kai arrived in the morning, shirt loose, as he pulled up at the door. Yawning, he stumbled inside, hand at his forehead due to his headache. The sound of rustling sheets jostled him from his drowsy self; grimacing, he peeked inside the bedroom. Light streamed through the window as he sighed at the sight of Sera entangled in the blankets. Throwing his jacket on the floor, Kai rubbed his neck, smearing the lipstick on his skin. He sat at the edge of the bed, careful not to stir the sleeping girl, as he looked at the small photo taped on the wall.

Arm carelessly hung around her neck, he smiled brightly at her as their photographer chuckled behind the lens. "Fantastic!" the man smiled as he finished capturing the calm moment. Blushing furiously, Kai thanked him flusteredly as he accepted the polaroid. She reached over, plucking it from his fingers. "Jongin, you look so stupid!" she crooned, watching his face turn a brighter shade of red. 
"Stop joking around," he groaned, trying to reach for the photo. Hand high in the air, she clucked her tongue as she forced him to chase her around the park. The 7 year olds sprinted around the park, overgrown weeds hitting their ankles as they slowed down to a stop, panting. He spun around, grabbing the picture triumphantly. 
"I won, Sooyun," he stuck out his tongue, teasing the pouting girl. Pushing him down, they rolled down the hill, falling in a field of dandelions. He closed her eyes, feeling the breeze blowing the soft seeds across his face. 
Sooyun turned to look at him, her brown eyes soft. "Wouldn't you like this to last forever?" she whispered as the clouds drifted over the blinding sun. "Of course! What are you talking about?" he chuckled, eyelids fluttering as he looked over at her. Shaking her head, she faked a smile. "Nothing, you idiot." she feigned, smacking his face.

"Min! Sooyun!" he screamed, tears staining his face as he watched the van pull away. A firm hand held Kai down as he struggled under the man's strong fingers. Looking down at the squirming boy, his father gripped his shoulder harder. "They were only a distracton to your future," he calmly responded to his hysterics. The sound of heels echoed from the hall as his step-mother placed a gentle hand on his head. "We only mean the best for you, Jongin." she cooed, wrapping an arm around his father's waist. He shook free from their constant touch, glaring up at the couple. "You're only like this because you don't want the world to know tha-" his hand went up to his face as his father stared angrily down at him. 

"You will never speak of this again. You should be glad you aren't like them."

Eyes downcast, he removed the photograph, the plastic edges. Sera turned, causing him to snap from his thoughts. He folded the picture, tucking it inside the drawer. Turning to look at the sleeping girl, he smiled coldly as he slowly stepped out of the room.

Yawning, she stretched her arms as she threw off the covers. Her hair piled on her head, a sizzling noise from downstairs snapped her to attention as the pleasant aroma drifted down the hall. Peeking from the door, she spotted Kai in front of the stove. Still in a dreamy state, she smiled widely at the sight of him in a frilled apron. 
He turned at the sound of a giggle. Glaring up at the snickering girl, he blushed slightly as he ripped the pink apron off his body. "What're you looking at?" he muttered as he dished the fried eggs. Sera glided down the stairs to eye the plate of the food. She moaned at the smell, head in her hands at the delicious smell. Using a wooden spoon, he pushed her away slightly as her drool barely missed the porcelain plate. Her lip stuck forward as she pouted; crossing her arms, she pointed childlishly at the warm dish. "Feed me!" she whined, stomping her feet jokingly. Kai rolled his eyes, lifting the eggs away from her grasp. Despite her complaints, he moved to the dining room. As she followed him with desperate eyes, he looked back at her. 
"I think you've forgotten that I don't have to care for you," his lips curved as he stared mockingly at her. Face falling flat, Sera nodded as she turned her back towards him.
What else did she expect? Firing up the stove, she splattered oil on the hot pan.


----------------------

Author's Note

How is it so far?
Is the plot going too fast? Constructive criticism is appreciated.

cactus