accidents happen

Drabble Requests

accidents happen (1193 w) | xiuho | high school au | for bijae


 

They made a promise to each other at the beginning of the school year. Except, it wasn't a promise so much as challenge: neither of them would go to senior prom without a date.

 

Minseok and Joonmyun aren't brothers, but most people assume that they are because of their last names and competitiveness with one another.

 

"Brother? We look nothing alike!" Joonmyun insists to yet another girl who asks Joonmyun to pass a note along to "Joonmyun-oppa's handsome brother."

 

"Oh!" the girl exclaims in embarrassment. "Sorry, I just assumed..."

 

"It's okay, a lot of people think that we're brothers," Minseok says when he finally arrives at his locker, overhearing the last bit of their conversation. "It's because we're both handsome and named Kim, isn't it?"

 

Minseok's hand finds its way to Joonmyun's hip, and Joonmyun doesn't have to see Minseok's face to know that his lips are curled in a smirk. The girl looks close to hyperventilating as her eyes dart between Joonmyun and Minseok.

 

"By the way...you're a Kim, too, right?" Minseok asks, and the girl nods furiously, her pigtails bobbing to and fro.

 

"Y-yes! Kim Jinwoo. I can't believe Minseok-oppa remembered!"

 

"Of course. You sit right in front of Joonmyun in math class. How could I forget about you? And—hey, what's that you've got there? Is that a confession letter?"

 

Jinwoo nods and s the crumpled pink envelope into Minseok's hands before turning around and running away.

 

“Well, it looks like I’ve got my prom date covered,” Minseok announces. “What about you, Joonmyun? Have you found anyone yet?”

 

“Of course!” Joonmyun lies.

 

“Is that right? Who is she?”

 

“She...you...you haven’t met her yet! She’s a new girl, and she’s super pretty, and we’re going to look so good at the prom together.”

 

“I wouldn’t expect anything less,” Minseok laughs, clapping Joonmyun on the shoulder. He arches his eyebrow teasingly and adds, “I can’t wait to meet her.”

 

It doesn’t take long for Joonmyun to find a date, though he has to visit a different school to find someone that Minseok doesn’t already know, just to save face. However, he can’t help but feel an uneasy tingle in his stomach whenever he sees Minseok and Jinwoo holding hands in the hallway or sneaking hugs when they think that nobody is looking.

 

But Joonmyun is almost always looking. In fact, he looks much more often than he should. He has to remind himself that he has someone of his own to hold, though she is some distance away.

 

Flowers bloom just in time for prom, and the boys and their dates meet all of each other over dinner for the first time. Jinwoo is dressed in a soft pink chiffon gown, while Joonmyun’s date wears a flaming red, skintight dress with a lacy bodice.

 

“You ladies look absolutely stunning tonight,” Minseok comments to the delight of both girls.

 

“What about me,” Joonmyun pouts.

 

Minseok’s eyes widen momentarily in surprise, and he says, “Damn y...bro.”

 

“Wait, so you guys actually are brothers?” Jinwoo asks.

 

“No, we’re not!” Minseok says quickly. He laughs uneasily and turns to Joonmyun’s date. “What did you say your name was again?”

 

“Choi Minhee,” she responds with a bright grin. “Nice to meet you!”

 

“Nice to meet you, too! How do you like our school so far?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You’re new, right?”

 

“What are you talking about?” Minhee’s smile falters in her confusion.

 

“Joonmyun said that you’re a new student at our school?”

 

“But...I don’t go to your school at all.”

 

The mood shifts abruptly, and everyone stares at Joonmyun, who suddenly wishes he could melt into the chair he’s sitting in.

 

“So, uh, who’s excited for prom?” Joonmyun squeaks. “It’s our last one!”

 

When Joonmyun finally explains that he had lied to Minseok in order to save face, he is prepared to meet three pairs of eyes full of pity, but to his surprise, Minseok simply looks puzzled.

 

“That’s a man’s pride for you,” Minhee mutters. “Pathetic.”

 

Joonmyun opens his mouth and is ready to apologize again, but Minseok speaks before he gets a chance to.

 

“Joonmyun didn’t do anything wrong, don’t be a jerk.”

 

Minhee frowns, and Jinwoo comes to her defense. She says in a small, quiet voice, “I agree, that was pretty pathetic of him.”

 

The two girls share a smile, and Minhee places her hand on Jinwoo’s wrist. “I think we can do better than this.”

 

Joonmyun and Minseok are left alone at the restaurant with an awkward silence hanging between them.

 

“I guess we both lost, then,” Minseok says, chuckling humorlessly to himself. “Now that neither of us have dates to the prom.”

 

“Not necessarily…” Joonmyun begins hesitantly. “I mean, we still have...each other.”

 

Minseok’s eyebrow arches, and he asks, “Is that so?”

 

Joonmyun swallows his sudden nervousness and asks, “Will you go to prom with me...bro?”

 

He bites his lip as he watches Minseok trying to hide his smile. Then he feels a sudden blow to his shoulder as Minseok lands a playful punch.

 

“Of course, Joonmyun.”

 

A warm, buzzing feeling fills Joonmyun’s chest as he realizes, this is what he wanted all along. He’s not sure if it’s exactly what Minseok wants—no, he’s sure that Minseok would rather be slow-dancing in the arms of someone smaller and more female. But Joonmyun tells himself that it’s okay to be selfish, because a night like this won’t ever come by again.

 

“This is really weird,” Minseok says as he and Joonmyun sway stiffly from side to side with his hands on Joonmyun’s hips and Joonmyun’s arms around his neck. “Is this how you’re supposed to slow dance?”

 

“Yeah! I see it like this in movies all the time. I think it’s supposed to feel awkward.” Joonmyun laughs nervously, as though it’s a joke. For Minseok, it might be just a joke, but Joonmyun just wants it to feel real. To be just a little closer to Minseok for just a little longer.

 

“I don’t know, Joonmyun. I think we should just…”

 

Minseok hooks an arm around Joonmyun’s waist and brings him in close until their chests are pressed together and they’re breathing the same air. For a second, they just look into each other’s eyes, faces so close that the tips of their noses are touching. Joonmyun feels as though he needs to say something, just to relieve the tension. But Minseok’s eyes are closing and he’s tilting his head, parting his lips as though…

 

Joonmyun’s heart stops beating altogether when he feels Minseok’s mouth, soft and warm, against his own. And then their bodies are melting together as they hold onto each other, inspired by the temporary illusion that the world around them has disappeared.

 

“Minseok,” Joonmyun whispers close to his ear to be heard over the music. “I–”

 

“Me too,” he answers before Joonmyun has a chance to finish. “I feel the same way.”

 

Joonmyun smiles gratefully and rests his head against Minseok’s shoulder, holding him close. They sway to the music and the rhythm of their beating hearts.