Misery Loves Company

Detective Yung (Official)

“Oh well thanks for making time in your busy day to make a great first impression.” I sneered. My frustration was at a peak from having to even bother with introductions with a new team when I already had a case I wanted to focus on.

“Very sorry. I’m so sorry. Please forgive me just this once. I’m sorry. Please let it go just this once.” She begged while bowing and rubbing her palms together above her head.

 

“It’s the first day. Calm down. Calm down.” I thought to myself.

 

“Just don’t be late again.” I said trying to sound demanding.

 

“Thank you sir. Thank you.” The brunette said with glistening eyes and a bright smile.

 

My hands run up and down my face as I tried to rub the frustration out before resuming the introductory meeting.

 

“Well alright Ms. Jung. Can you please introduce yourself to us?”

 

“Of course. My name is Jessica Jung as I stated before. I don’t really enjoy exercising, like running, but I try to work hard all the time. I’m confident when it comes to solving problems.” Her light voice seemed to calm me down for some reason.

 

“Alright well here’s all the information that I feel comfortable giving. You all can call me Detective Yung. Born in 85. I’m not much for friends or partners so I guess that’s why there are several of you all. I’ve been working as a police officer since I graduated high school in America. I worked there for about 5 years and then I moved here to Korea. Somehow I managed to move to the rank of detective very quickly, but I’ve only been a detective for a few years. That being said, I have solved just as many cases as some of the veterans here so don’t think that I bribed or ‘brown nosed’ my way to the position.”

 

The four girls’ eyes seemed to sparkle as I spoke while they sat at the edge of their seats. My eyes darted around the room at the sudden awkward atmosphere that had crept up as I finished speaking.

 

A knock on the door interrupted the dead silence, “Detective. The boss would like to see you. And your team.”

 

We followed the messenger back to the boss’ office and stood at attention in front of him. Well… The girls did.

 

“Yes sir?” I asked casually.

 

“Reporting for duty sir!” Minah rang out loudly.

 

“Looks like you got an enthusiastic one in your bunch Yung. Anyways. We got a case. There has been a string of disappearances happening during this past week. Three in total so far. All women in their mid 20’s. Blonde and honestly fairly attractive. I need you to find the girls, rescue them, and apprehend whoever is behind everything. DISMISSED!”

 

“No need to yell.” I murmured as we all walked out.

 

We posted up the pictures of the missing girls and all the information conserning them onto a white dry erase board. All of our plans and ideas were written on a clear dry erase board.

 

“Alright. Jessica and Ji Hyo. You two go search the 3rd victim’s, Soobin, apartment for clues. Seohyun and Minah. You search the 2nd victim’s, Seoyeon, apartment. I’ll search the 1st victim’s, Chae Hee, apartment. Meet back here in six hours. Good luck and be careful.”

 

The groups left as ordered but felt somewhat left out to dry by the disappearance of their team leader. The pairs got into their respective cars and headed toward their destinations.

 

“I feel like he doesn’t like me much. He seems to like to be alone. The way he quickly pushed the four of us into two groups and sent us away from him was odd. I could sense his frustration the moment I walked inside. ” Jessica spoke openly to her driver Ji Hyo.

 

“Well you did come in late, but I agree. It does seem like he doesn’t enjoy our company.”

 

“You have a really nice car. What did you used to do before you joined the team?” The passenger asked.

 

“Oh look we’re here. Let’s go.” The older girl quickly said before hopping out of the car.

 

“Hi. We’re a part of Detective Yung’s team. We’re here to investigate the crime scene. Thanks. Excuse us.”

 

The two armed policemen stopped them in their tracks, “Sorry. We have orders. No one except for high level detectives and executives. Which you are neither. So no. Go away.”

 

Before Jessica could challenge them, Ji Hyo pulled her to the back of her car that they had parked around the corner. She opened the trunk to reveal hundreds of costumes and props.

 

“Why do you have all of this-”

 

“Just put these on and follow my lead.” Ji Hyo interrupted the questioning.

 

A short black haired wig with a black tied suit covered Jessica’s original appearance, while a long black wig, blue contacts, and the same black tied suit hid Ji Hyo.

 

They walked back up to the cops while wearing sunglasses, “Excuse us. We need to get inside. INTERPOL. We have suddenly been informed about this situation and are now taking over the case.” Ji Hyo tilted her glasses down to reveal the bright blue eyes hidden behind.

 

Jessica ran her hand down the cops cheek and ending it with a slap, “Now don’t make me tell my little friend about this. A!”

 

The two men were awestruck by the international agents and also their beauty, but the one cop was confused by the odd phrase and slap.

 

The pair walked in casually after their first cop encounter.

 

“What was that? Why did you just smack him? What was ‘tell my little friend’ thing about too? You seem like you need a little practice playing disguise huh?” Ji Hyo teased but still with some truth.

 

“I don’t know. I just remember seeing Scarface and he said ‘little friend’ so I thought that i should try. Plus if I’ve never gotten to just smack someone and get away with it.” She snickered.

 

When they arrived at the scene, there was nothing. Literally nothing in the room. Everything had been taken out of the room. No furniture, nothing hanging off the walls, and nothing in the closet.

 

“We snuck in for this? We can’t find anything here.” Jessica said disappointedly as she crawled around on her hands and knees desperately looking for a clue.

 

---------Seohyun and Minah------

 

“Alright. Are you ready for this?! Let’s go find some clues! Oh wait… How old are you? I was born in 93. When were you born?” The enthusiastic girl rapidly spoke.

 

“I was born in 91. Umm.. Yes. We should go try to find some clues.” The older girl spoke clear and precise.

 

“Unnie! Can I learn a little bit about you? What do you like to do? Are you as excited as I am about this?” Minah said loudly.

 

The awkwardness could be seen on Seohyun’s face, for some reason it seemed like she felt uncomfortable being called unnie. As they approached the guards, Minah could tell that they weren’t the friendly type.

 

“You go first, I’ll be right behind you. I have a plan. Trust me.” Seohyun said as she tapped away on her laptop in the backseat.

Completely trusting her new partner, Minah shrugged her shoulders and approached the guards. They immediately protested her presence.

 

“No one gets by us. Go ahead and turn around and walk away.” The two men waved their hands as if to force her away.

 

Seohyun walked up behind Minah with a smile on her face. The men rolled their eyes as they prepared to repeat what they had just said to her partner.

 

A radio order caught the officers’ attention, “There are two highly trusted detectives coming to your location. Let them through so that they can do their investigation. Both female. You will recognize them when you see them.”

 

“Sorry for the inconvenience detectives! Go right ahead!” The cops said with a stiff salute.

 

The scene that they walked into was the same as the previous pair. Everything had disappeared. Completely empty.

 

“I hope everyone else has better luck than we do. There isn’t anything here.” Minah said with an unusual disappointed tone.

 

Detective Yung had already pushed himself through the two confused guards and was searching the messy room. Large muddy footprints could be seen going across the room, starting from the entrance and going to the closet and then window. A small plain matchbook was on the windowsill beside a broken glass pane. All the clothes had been taken from the closet and only a note was nailed to the wall.

 

“No need to look for her. You won’t find her. I’m finally getting back at her.” A gold engraving was printed at the bottom.

 

When they all arrived back at the office, the note was now taped in the middle of the board along with all the ideas.

 

“Anyone find any more clues? Does anyone know what this symbol means? Then we need to find out!” Yung said before slamming the door behind him.

 

“I need to get into that room.’ Jessica said to herself.

 

“I need my laptop.” Seohyun thought as she scrambled across the room for her trusty computer.

 

“I think I need to go undercover.” Ji Hyo thought as she slipped out of the office.

 

“I should go speak to some people.” Minah snapped her fingers as she looked back over the profiles of the victims.

 

“I guess it’s time to get down to business” Yung said as he cracked his knuckles and threw on his overcoat and hat.