Dating Proposal

Ephemeral Bliss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was curious. I was curious on many things about that male in this picture. Numerous questions were running in my mind. What exact role did he play in Suzy’s life? Did they become lovers? Where is he now? But then, somehow, I decided not to deal with the subject that night. I thought it was a sensitive topic for her. I thought I’d just be embarrassed if I’d ask her then she rejects to answer my question.

And moreover, I thought it was too early to feel pain.

Fortunately, the dinner went by smoothly with us engaging in conversations that would start from petty ones then end up into an exchange of deep words and ideas. Just like how we were in El Nido, we were too immersed to notice how time had passed by quickly.  Suzy must have had fun with that dinner because since then, she had made it regular to invite me in. There are times she’d insist to cook for me but knowing that she’s clumsy, I wouldn’t let her do it alone and we’d end up cooking together. If we’re too tired and too lazy to function, we’d opt to order outside or call for a delivery.

“Don’t you think…” my words trailed as I stared at the box of pizza in front of us.

“Think what?” she mumbled while chewing.

I hesitated but then proceeded on asking, “Don’t you think we’re living like a couple? I mean, we cook and eat together, casually visit each other’s house, spend time even outside – isn’t it all very couple-like?”

“Are couples only the ones who live together?” Suzy asked back. She then grinned at me as she said, “Siblings do too.”

Oh. Right. I’m old enough to be her brother. Wait.

“Did you just indirectly put me in the family-zone?” I furrowed my eyebrows but teasingly grinned but then, she just laughed in reply before quickly changing the topic.

She didn’t affirm or deny it and I chose not to press on it any further. I like the comfortable atmosphere that I and Suzy are basking in. It’s better to enjoy it while it still lasts. If I had to choose between the male in the picture and the idea of us as a couple, I’d choose the latter as the more sensitive topic because of the way that Suzy would divert the conversation every time I’d jokingly bring it up. However, I still knew that sooner or later, I have to properly confess. That day came when Suzy decided to surprisingly drop by my school.

The rain was pouring hard that some of our classmates opted not to go to school in fear of being stranded because of flood. Worst came to worst when we’re just having our second class for that day but then the suspension of classes was announced. Just when we were grumbling about the inefficiency of bureaucracy, we spotted several students crowding the main entrance.

“What are these kids up to? They should go home as soon as they could. This rain would surely create a dangerous flood,” Yoo Bi worriedly said.

“I see a girl. These men are after a single girl,” Sora rolled her eyes.

“Must be pretty,” Woo Bin mumbled as he tiptoed to see among the crowd. Then, he widened his eyes and with an infamous smile, he nodded. “Ohhh. She is pretty.”

“I hate saying ist remarks but gosh. Men are really wolves,” Sora said with a disgusted face.

“Well, then, I think I’m from the hottest species of wolves,” Woo Bin retorted. Sora then turned to Woo Bin with wide eyes and if her expression could be translated into words, it would be: What the hell.

Yoo Bi and I laughed at another cute bickering of these two but as we approached the main entrance, I squinted in order to get a clearer vision. I guess my Casanova mode was as soon as I heard about Woo Bin’s confirmation of it as a pretty lady but I was not expecting it to be someone familiar.

“Oppa!” Suzy called as she spotted me, waving happily in my direction.

I noticed how everyone’s head then turned towards me, and even my three friends were casting curious glances at me. I awkwardly coughed a little before raising my hand for a wave and greeting her back, “Hey.”

“Okay! Ladies and gentlemen! Newsflash: she’s taken! Everyone who’s not confident to beat this Lee Jongsuk in the looks and body fitness department could now go home!” Sora shouted as she waved her hand in the air, dismissing the crowd that had gathered. “It’s okay not to be handsome! You could still be useful to the world and you could begin now by not blocking an important pathway! Thank you!”

Amazingly, the students who have gathered quickly went away until only the five of us remained and some who were just innocently waiting for their drivers. As the space between Suzy and the four of us had been cleared up, Woo Bin suddenly stepped forward and said,

“Well, I guess, I’m the only one who’s confident in this school.” He then flashed a smirk as he whispered, “Hi there, pretty lad.”

“Hi,” Suzy smiled but then instantly frowned as she added, “I’m sorry. But do I know you?”

“Pssssst,” Sora made a sizzling sound as the end of her finger touched Woo Bin’s arm. With a mocking face, she then told him, “Burn.”

Yoo Bi just giggled and greeted Suzy, “Hi. We’re Jongsuk’s friends. I’m Yoo Bi and these are Sora and Woo Bin.”

“Oh, hello.” Suzy beamed back. “I’m Bae Suzy. I’m his neighbour.”

“See? She’s just his neighbour. You jumped into conclusions,” Woo Bin fired at Sora. He then looked back at Suzy and said, “She’s not yet taken.”

“I’m so sorry,” Suzy mumbled. She then looked at Woo Bin from head to toe and added, “Uhmmm. I do actually find you handsome… even gorgeous. Wow. It’s so hard to find such a model-like figure these days.”

“I’m still not used to these types of compliments but thanks,” Woo Bin smiled back and took another step forward towards Suzy but just before he could advance more towards her, Suzy made all his confidence crumble away as she said,

“But sorry. Not really interested in dating you.”

I choked my laughter while Yoo Bi just giggled silently. Sora on the other hand, laughed out loud and in between her chuckles she managed to blurt out, “Double burn!”

Woo Bin then turned to me and with a flat tone and a poker face, he said, “Lee Jongsuk, I don’t like this neighbour of yours.”

As Suzy smiled, I knew she had a hint that Woo Bin was only kidding so I then took the opportunity to ask her, “What brought you here, Suzy?”

“Ah!” she gasped. She then showed me the content of the plastic bag she was holding and said, “You left this book at my house last night. I thought you needed it so I decided to bring it but then, I got caught up with some students.”

“Did I hear it right?” Woo Bin whispered to Sora but it was audible for me. “He went to her house last night. Woah.”

I prayed that Suzy didn’t hear Woo Bin’s words as I took my book. Seeing her apologetic gaze, I shook my head and said, “It’s okay. Classes were suspended even before I needed this so there’s no need to worry.”

“That’s a relief then,” Suzy beamed. She asked, “Then, are you going home right now?”

“Hmmm,” I nodded. “Let’s just go together.”

“Wait,” Yoo Bi suddenly interrupted our conversation. Stutterin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter