AN. Epilogue

Ephemeral Bliss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stretched my arms and yawned as the rays of the sun from the window had woken me up. A smile glossed on my lips as I thought that it was one of the best sleeps that I had. However, as my eyes adjusted to its surroundings, I realized that I was not home.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked around and was convinced that it was a place unfamiliar to me. I immediately got up and rushed to the window to see where I am and the sight that welcomed me was the waves crashing onto the shore: I was by the beach.

I gasped, “Why am I here?”

I creased my forehead for I was sure that I had never been to this beach before but it felt like I have left my traces in this place. A scene then flashed in my mind where I was sitting on the boat with a male beside me whose face is blurred. I could hear his voice ringing in my ears.

“After all of this, would you miss me?”

“Who was that?” I whispered to myself. I tried to remember but all my mind could process where other scenarios I spent with the same man but I couldn’t decipher who he was. It just got my head aching.

The trance that I was in was quickly halted when an older woman entered the room with a bright smile on her face.

“Good morning, Suzy,” she greeted. “How’s your sleep?”

“G-Good morning,” I greeted back. “I slept well.”

Am I supposed to know this woman too?

“That’s good then,” she beamed again. She sat at the edge of my bed and patted the space beside her, motioning me to sit beside. Confused, I just did as told. She caressed my arm lovingly before asking, “How do you feel?”

“Fine, I guess?” I awkwardly laughed.

And confused right now. My brain is not helping me think what’s happening.

“Ei,” she cooed, “You must be so excited about this day right? It’s finally come to this.”

“N-Neh?” I tilted my head in question.

But she wasn’t able to answer me for the door opened again, revealing a girl who is in her early twenties. She had seemed to carry a bright and charming personality and with a grin, she quickly greeted me, “Unni, you’re awake?”

I pinched myself secretly as I tried to make sure that it was not a dream. The area stung so with a forced smile, I answered, “I think so.”

She ran towards me and quickly enveloped me into a hug as she cheered, “Congratulations, unni! I’m so happy for you.”

I widened my eyes. Congratulations for what?

But I just patted her back in reply. The older woman then dismissed the younger as she told her, “Dahyun. Go get the stylists so that your sister could get ready.”

Sister? I don’t remember having a sibling.

“Yes, omma,” the girl I supposed who is called Dahyun, nodded. She gave me another excruciating hug before taking her leave.

I looked at the woman beside me. I’m sure that this is not my mom so Dahyun is certainly not my sister.

But suddenly, the woman’s eyes started b with tears and I panicked, “W-What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” she shook her head and wiped her own tears. “I’m just really happy right now, I don’t know how to properly express my feelings. I wish the both of you well. Please do take care of my son, Suzy. Please treasure him well.”

Son? What son? Who’s her son? What the hell was going on?

I couldn’t blurt out my questions so I just remained seated and frozen. To my rescue where several women who came in the room with make-up kits, blowers, and other various stylist sets.

“Now, go on and take a bath. We wouldn’t want you to be late,” the older woman beamed at me again. When I said nothing, it was her who prepared my bath robe and towels. She gave it to me as she whispered, “Wash well. You have to look fresh and smell fragrant all day long so that your night together would be awesome as well.”

Our night together? What? Am I being sold to a man?

With my thoughts disorganized, I let her lead me to the bathroom. I washed myself well not because she told me to but because I was trying to buy me some time alone so that I could think. But I could not get anything out of my brain. Everything was foreign and I couldn’t connect the dots.

I heard a knock on my door, telling me to hurry up. I dried myself with a towel and wore the bath robe over my underwear – these were the only clothes that the woman gave me. As soon as I got out of the bathroom, the numerous women who entered my room quickly sat me down. The next thing I knew, I was being dolled up – they were blow-drying, ironing, curling and styling my hair; they were cleaning my nails and my face was being painted on. The confusion in me had sunk so deep that I couldn’t function well so I let them carry out everything. When they were done with their work, they let me view the mirror for the first time and I was awed at my reflection.

“Is this me?” my question had become audible.

“Of course,” the stylist nodded.

“Wow,” I gaped but a smile quickly formed on my lips. “I looked amazing. I-I’ve never been this beautiful.”

“Oh. Silly you. I don’t usually say this to my customers because I hate lying but since this is the truth, then I’d compliment you,” the stylist made me look in the mirror again and she looked in my eyes as she told me, “You’re the most beautiful bride that I has ever seen.”

“Thank you,” I mumbled with a sweet smile.

But when her words finally registered in my brain, I widened my eyes. Bride? What bride? Me? A bride?!

I was then dragged onto the bed where a big box was laid. The stylist opened the box and took its content, laying it down beside me on the bed. I could feel that someone was taking my picture and he was telling me to look at the camera and smile but I couldn’t for I could not tear my gaze off the dress that laid on the bed.

It was a beautiful white wedding dress.

“Now we’d be leaving you so that you could dress up,” the stylist told me. “Your bridesmaid and matron of honor would come and help you.”

I was left alone in the room, speechless. There’s a wedding dress beside me and the stylist told me that I was the bride. There were women who congratulated me earlier. I bit my lip hard at the sudden realization: I was getting married.

But numerous questions were popping in my mind: To whom was I getting married to? Why am I getting married? Why can’t I remember anything?

My head started to ache again as I forced myself to remember but there was none. There were no memories flashing in my mind.

There was a knock on my door before two women came in with big grins on their faces. They were wearing light blue dresses and like me, they were also dolled up.

“You look beautiful, Suzy,” the one with shorter hair told me with a beam.

These people know me but why don’t I know them?

“Why haven’t you dressed up?” the one with longer and curled hair spoke. She then walked towards me and pulled me up from the bed as she scolded me, “The bride cannot afford to be late, you know.”

“Am I really getting married?” I managed to ask them.

“Oh. Look at her, Yu Bi. She’s getting flustered and all,” the one with the longer hair said. “I remember having this feeling too during my and Woo Bin’s wedding.”

“Sora, there’s no need for the two of you to make me jealous,” the girl called Yu Bi replied.

“Don’t worry. It’d be your turn next,” Sora winked at Yu Bi. She then looked at me again and told me, “And yes, Suzy. Finally. After seven long years of us waiting, you are getting married today.”

I blinked rapidly in order to process what the girl had said. I was getting married to a person I had known for seven years and yet I couldn’t remember anything. My mind was in a haze and that allowed Sora and Yu Bi to dress me up in my wedding dress. When they were done, I had finally garnered my thoughts back. I have to make a decision.

“Can I be alone for a moment?” I asked them and they quickly agreed, assuming that I wanted to appreciate the moment that I finally wore my own wedding gown.

As they left the room, I paced back and forth. I wanted to cry in frustration. Why can’t I remember anything? Why is everything so confusing? What happened to me? Why is my memory failing right now? Why do I not know all these people and this place? I can’t get married like this. I need to escape. I need time to think thoroughly. I need freedom to remember.

I looked outside the window. How would I be able to escape in a foreign land? I’d surely get lost. I don’t know anyone from here. I could get and killed or sold off if I leave but if I stay, I’d get married to a person I do not know. It felt like I had no better option and that was unfair. I kept thinking hard to come up with a good decision but my head ache was becoming terrible.

There was a knock on my door and as someone came in, I yelled, “Didn’t I say that I wanted to be alone?!”

“Easy, Su,” a familiar voice chuckled, “Yu Bi and Sora told me so but it was me who insisted on seeing the bride.”

I turned to see if my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter