002

My Brother's Keeper

Jackson entered his apartment and threw his keys on his bedside table infront of an old framed picture of himself and Mark, he picked it up and looked at their eighteen and nineteen year old faces smiling up at him. He wiped his tears from his face, Mark had been the only thing he had in this world, his best friend, his family and his everything. He followed him around every where from the time they both could walk and it was Mark who got him out of the trouble he always seemed to find himself in. He had gone to their childhood neighborhood police station after they left the harbor and had stayed there all night digging up old files, looking for what had happened on that night ten years ago. He could hear the birds outside as the day broke outside, he walked into his bathroom and the shower still in his clothes, he stared in to space lost in thoughts of his childhood, he sat in his tub and let the water drench him, too exhausted to take off his clothes. The image of Mark at the yard in the harbor kept flashing before his eyes, he wept as the joy of knowing his only family was still alive filled him.

Jackson in his crisp white v-neck t-shirt and cut out blue jeans strolled slowly through his old neighborhood, his hand buried in his pocket and his head bowed. He had decided to take a walk down memory lane after a long shower and a good cry. Not much had changed in the decade he'd been gone. He arrived at his old middle school and spotted the tree behind his third grade class, he laughed lightly as he recalled how they would skip class and hide up on the tree until the period was over, he could have sworn the tree was much bigger back then as he grabbed the lowest branch and boosted himself up the tree, he weaved through the branches, found a sturdy one and laid on it, he folded his hands behind his head and closed his eyes, re-living some of the happiest moments in his sad life.

Flashback

Nine year old Jackson and ten year old Mark laid on branches in the old tree behind their school, skipping their last period. Mark played his flute as Jackson smiled in adoration at the hyung he practically worshiped, he shrieked when the tune ended.

"Play another one" he begged

"Which one?" Mark asked willing to keep playing as long as he could see a smile on Jackson's face.

"I don't know...any"

"Do you want to learn?" Jackson nodded excitedly at Mark's question, he wanted to do everything Mark did.

"Watch. Put this finger here and this one here...like this" Mark explained "and blow" he played the flute "Here. try it" handing the flute to Jackson who almost dropped it.

Jackson tried to play it and messed it up "babo, not like that!!" Mark hit the back of Jackson's head laughing.

Jackson hit him back and they began to wrestle and laugh, the noise drew one of their teachers to the tree. Mark put his hand over Jackson's mouth as they tried not to laugh. The leaves of the tree gave perfect cover to their little bodies and the teacher started to walk away but Jackson dropped the flute which hit the teacher on the head, they jumped down knowing they'd been caught and began running away as the teacher chased after them. "You owe me a flute!!" Mark yelled at Jackson as he grabbed his hand to pull him along because he was beginning to lag behind.

End Flash back.

As Jackson lay in the branches of the tree half asleep, Mark made his way through the school compound. Seeing Jackson last night had brought back feelings he had long since learned to control, he had found himself wandering to places they used to hang out. He walked into the school and strolled the halls, he stopped infront of the wall space between the third and fourth grade classrooms, he peered closely to see if it would be there after all these years and there it was ' Brothers for life. M&J' written in their terrible handwritting, he smiled to himself remembering how they had argued over where to write it, they had finally decided on that spot because it was between their classrooms. He entered his old classroom, he walked to the window over looking the sandy school compound, he folded his arms across his chest, smiling to himself as memories of time spent together on the compound resurfaced.

Flashback

A group of young children played soccer on their sandy school compund, seven year old Mark and six year old Jackson among them. A thrown ball hit Jackson hard in the face and being quick tempered, gets angry. He attacked the much older boy who threw the ball and gets shoved to the ground. He got up again and went for the older boy, he got pushed around by the boy as his friends laughed.

"Mark!! Mark!! Hyung!!" he screamed on top of his lungs for his savior.

Mark who hadn't seen what was going on charged for the older boy when he heard Jackson's cry and turned to see him being bullied. The older boy fell down and quickly got up, his friends gathered around Mark and Jackson, ready to beat them up. Mark grabbed Jackson's hand and began running with him, the older boy and his friends chased after them. They got to the tree behind the school and climbed up, hiding queitly. Shortly after the older boys run past the tree, missing Mark and Jackson, after a while Mark jumped down to check if the boys were gone.

"They're gone! Come down" he relayed to Jackson who jumped down "are you hurt?" he inspected his young friend to make sure even though he shook his head.

"You?" jackson asked back also inspecting Mark.

"I'm alright" Mark assured him.

They looked at eachother and began laughing, Mark patted Jackson's head and ruffled his hair as Jackson tried to slap his hand away.

End flashback.

Jackson is startled by the wind rustling the branches and he woke up from his short nap, he jumped down and walked away from his happy memories and back to his sad life. Mark left the classroom as he remembered the tree that had been their safe haven, he climbed up and laid down on the branch that had just served as Jackson's bed, he pulled a flute from his back pocket and played his best friend's favorite tune.

 

Jackson walked on the busy streets of Seoul, he didn't know why he was going but he had to. He hasn't been able to focus on anything for the last two weeks, since he saw Mark at the harbor, it was affecting his investigation and his captain was breathing down his neck. He had to see him again, talk to him again, see him smile again. He knew now the rest of the events of that night and what happened after from reading the police reports. He needed him to forgive him,he needed him to know he had changed, he needed him to be a part of his life again, fill that empty spot in his life again. He knew where he lived and worked, perks of being a detective. He finally walked up to the store where Mark worked, he saw him unloading boxes from a small truck into the store, he was surprised how much of a man his friend had become, he ventured closer and stopped a few feet from him. Mark pulled three stacked boxes from the truck and turned around grunting, he saw Jackson and they stared at each other for a minute, he hid his emotions well, the pain, the anger, the hurt, the disappointment, the hate, the love, he hid it all well as his face remained straight. He ignored Jackson and entered the store, Jackson ed the cuffs of his shirt and rolled up his sleeves, he picked up a box and headed toward the store as Mark was returning. He took the box from Jackson and put it on the floor, he run his hand through his hair and looked Jackson in the eye. Their eyes locked, Mark scoffed and looked away as Jackson began to smile.

"leave" he said calmly despite the boiling rage inside him. Jackson was surprised by the deep bass voice his friend now had, he'd never thought in a million years the high pitched nasal voice of his friend would break since when they were long past puberty and he still spoke like a girl. Mark pushed past him and walked to the truck, he reached in to grab a box but Jackson grabbed his arm. He turned around angrily and pushed Jackson against the truck hooking the front of his shirt with both hands, Jackson got startled as the wind got knocked out of him, he stared wide eyed in surprise at Mark his eyes becoming glassy with tears. Mark glared angrily into Jackson's eyes, he punched into the truck closely to Jackson's face causing him to flinch, Mark breathed heavily as his own angry eyes began to brim with tears, he slowly let go off Jackson's shirt "Just leave" he picked up his boxes and went to into the store leaving Jackson still leaning against the truck. He started to follow Mark, stopped and hovered at the door for a second then turned to leave, decidinf it was for the best. Mark stepped out and watched the back of his friend leaving, fighting against his will to go after him.

 

Jackson sat behind his desk staring blankly at his computer screen that had gone dark without him noticing, it had been a week since he went to see Mark, he had spied on him every now then since then but hadn't had the courage to approach him again. How was he ever going to make him believe he had sincerely thought he wasn't going to make it. He had even gotten his life together to honor his memory, he has become a cop because of him, hoping that doing some would redeem him from getting his friend killed.

"Jackson!!" he heard his partner, JB, screm across the desk they shared.

"Hm?" he clicked his keyboard trying to hide his lack of focus.

"care to share? You've staring into space for the last five minutes"

"Hm?..I uh...I have to go" Jackson shot up grabbing his keys.

"What? NO!...we have to go through hours of security cam footage" JB was freaking out.

"Tomorrow. let's finish tomorrow"

"Jackson. We've hit a dead end again. this is our first lead since the raid at the harbor.You can't be distracted right now" JB spoke too fast "and what do i tell the captain when he comes looking...i've run out of excuses covering your "

"Please.Just tonight" Jackson run out leaving JB raining curses after him.

 

Mark locked the store and threw his hoodie over his head as he began walking home, Jackson stepped out of the shadows from where he'd been watching Mark and started following him. Mark was aware he was being followed but ignored him, they walked in silence for a long time until Mark turned around in frustration. It had taken ten years to finally get over the hurt and here he was opening up old wounds, why won't he just let sleeping dogs lie?

"What?" he yelled turning to face Jackson.

"I just want to talk" Jackson said in a nearly inaudible voice

"There's nothing left to say between us" Mark turned to walk away.

"Mark" Jackson called softly.

"Are you afraid? Hmm?" Mark turned to face Jackson who just stared at him " well, don't be..if i was going to give you up, i would have done so ten years ago...just go on living your life and i'll make do with what's left of mine"

" My life?" Jackson scoffed " as if i had one" he searched his friends eyes " My life ended that night because i thought i lost you"

"You left me!!" Mark screamed as tears fell down his cheeks " out there. In the cold, alone!!" he sobbed "Do you know how much i missed you? I waited for you to come, every single day" he said calmly.

"I thought you died, please believe me" Jackson said crying "see, i turned my life around, tried to live better, hoping you would see from up there and be proud of me" he smiled.

"I begged you not to leave me" 

"I'm sorry"

"Sorry? You're sorry. That's it?" Mark scoffed "Whatever" he wiped his eyes "and don't follow me" he turned to walk away as Jackson watch him disappear into the night.

 

Sadia sat on the cistern of her toilet with her feet on the lid, painting her toe nails." If you make me say it one more time, i will beat the hell out of you" she screamed at Jun Hoon who was playing soccer indoors.

"Can i go out then?" Jun stuck his head in the door way of his mother's bathroom

"Do you see any child outside?" she asked her son who retreated into the family room " Jun Hoon!!" she yelled as she heard the clutter from her son knocking something down with his soccer ball, she hoped it wasn't her china set, she would kill him.

Just then Mark walked through the front door, he was spending most of his time at Sadia's, basically living there. 

"Can you play with me? please, please, please" Jun Hoon begged running to Mark.

"No little man. I'm hungry right now" Mark picked Jun Hoon up and threw him over his shoulder as the boy giggled excitedly.

"Ok, can i play games on your phone then?"

"Jun!! Bed!! Now!!" Sadia yelled from the bathroom. Jun made a dash for the family room running from his mother. Mark walked to the bathroom and sat in the doorway laughing, Sadia just focused on polishing her toes.

"Hey" Mark tried to get her attention

"You hungry?" She continued painting her toes.

"Uh-huh"

"Hang on just a sec, I'll fix you a sandwich" she grabbed a magazine a started fanning her toes still holding her nail polish in the other.

"Sandwich?"Mark grimaced " Don't bother, i'll make my own food"

"Ok" Sadia raised her hands in surrender " I was just being kind" she resumed fanning her toes

"Sadia" Mark played nervously with his fingers

"Hm?"

"I saw Jackson"

Sadia suddenly went pale and dropped her nail polish, which fell on the toilet lid and dripped down the white toilet bowl, leaving red trails behind. Her gaze was frozen on Mark's face as she tried to steady her shaking hands, she quickly pulled herself together and cleared .

"Why are you telling me?" She tore some toilet paper and began wiping off the nail polish.

Mark slid on the floor toward her and loked up at her face intently, she stopped wipping and stared down at his face " because i know you would want to know" Mark said gently knowing his friend was hurting. Sadia got up abruptly and went into her bedroom, shutting her door behind her. "Sadia" Mark got up and went after her, he heard the door click and knew she locked the door, he was about to knock on the door when his phone rang.

"Hello? OK." he said into the phone and hanged up. He stared at the closed bedroom door deciding whether to stay and be there for Sadia or just let her be. "I'm going out, don't wait up" he shouted behind the door and hesitated before leaving.

Sadia heard the front door open and close and then she let out the tears she'd been holding, she sat on the floor in front of her bed with her knees under her chin and hugging her legs as she balled her eyes out. Ten years ago he had disappeared on them without a word, the police had presumed him dead and no one had really bothered because his mother was dead and of the two people that cared, one was a convict and the other was a pregnant teenager who was expected to bow her head in shame. They had promised to stick together, she was the mixed girl who was too dark to be considered Korean even though it was the only home she knew, Mark was the son of the neighborhood drunk who had been abandoned by his mother and Jackson was the son of a e, they were outcasts who depended on eachother. He had left when they needed him the most, and after mourning him and thinking he was dead for ten years, he finally shows up?

Flashback

Teenage Mark, Jackson and Sadia were in the living room of Sadia's parent's house. They had just finished eating, since she was the meal provider of the two, and were lounging in the couch talking and laughing.

"She likes me. I'm telling you for real. You should see the way he looks at me" Mark laughed

"No she doesn't. She says you scare her. She probably stares at you because she's scared?" Sadia teased getting a laugh out of Jackson.

"Why would she be scared of me?" Mark was genuinly hurt

"Duh? You are the school's number one bad boy" She laughed "Stealing, fighting, the police coming to school to arrest you two countless times"

"He's the bad boy not me" Mark pointed at Jackson "You see people think i'm the bad one, but he initiates everything"

"Well i like me a bad boy" Sadia leaned in and kissed Jackson full on the lips.

"Geez guys! get a room!" Mark gagged

"Stop hating, man" Jackson laughed.

"We are leaving" Mark got up and pulled Jackson along.

Jackson laughed and slapped Mark's back playfully as they walked out the door. Sadia leaned in the door way with her head tilted, Jackson turned and planted a kiss on her forhead. Mark ignored them and continued walking away, he stopped a distance from them to wait for Jackson. Sadia stood on her toes and kissed Jackson lightly on the lips.

"Goodnight" Jackson whispered. He placed a kiss on her nose and nuzzled it with his. Mark rolled his eyes in disgust and turned away as Sadia pulled Jackson in for a passionate kiss. "Good night" Jackson said out of breath after reluctanctly tearing away from the kiss and began to walk backwards slowly not wanting to let go off Sadia.

"Wait. Stay" she begged holding on to his hand. Jackson turned around and winked at Mark who threw his hand up in frustration "Oh come on!!" he yelled as his two friends disappeared into the house.

A month later, Sadia looked tired with dark circles around her eyes, she looked frightened standing infront of her father with her head bowed and her left hand resting on her tummy. Her mom stood beside her crying. Her dad smacked her across the face, she looked intently at him, clutching her stomach protectively as the tears fell, he looked back at her with a glare.

Another month later, Sadia fought her way through a thick crowd of onlookers and reporters, she made her way to the the front and run to the handcuffed teenage Mark, the police officers pushed her away but she persisted.

"Mark!! Mark!!" she yelled trying to get to his side.

The police men took Mark to the car waiting to drive him to the penitentiary. Sadia maneuvered through the men trying to stop her, she grabbed the arm of the police officer holding Mark "Please" she begged with her tear stained faced.

The police man looked at her with pity and gave a slight nod.

"Jackson. Where she is he?" She turned to Mark.

"I don't know" Mark said weakly.

"Did you do it?" She tried to fight back her tears and desperation.

Mark just looked at her and said nothing, he gave her a faint, warm smile. She smiled back through her watery eyes and tired to hug him "That's enough" the police man blocked her. He put his hand at the back of Mark's head and guided him into the car, Sadia lokked on as the car drove away. She gripped her chest as she felt her heart break and broke down into tears.

End Flashback.

Sadia wiped the tears from her face, she had done enough crying over the past ten years and she wasn't going to go back to the weak little girl who was kicked out of home. She had come a long way since then, she had grown stronger and wiser, she had gone abck to school and made a good life for herself and her son. She got up off the floor and walked to Jun Hoon's room, she slid in bed beside him and hugged her sleeping son as she tried not to break down again.

 

Jackson sat behind his desk zoned out, JB approached him waving a file in his hand but he seemed not to notice.

"What's up with you? You've been walking around here like a zombie all day...i see you still don't have your together" he spat out.

"Huh? I'm good...It's just the case is getting to me"

"Worry no more brother" JB slapped the file down in front of Jackson "We got a lead...came in a few minutes ago from Gold"

Jackson quickly flipped through the file grabbed his gun, holstered it and headed for the door "are you coming or what?" jackson inquired when he noticed JB wasn't folowing.

"I promised the wife i will take the boys to theri soccer game tonight"

"Well, you can't do that...we have work to do"

"Please man" JB pleaded "I will write all your reports and paper work for a week" He clasped his hands together infront of him begging.

"A month" Jackson smirked.

"Deal"JB chirped.

"Yugyeom!! You're with me" Jackson yelled and stormed out.

"Sir!! Yes Sir!!" The bewildered newbie, carrying files stacked up high over his head and struggling to walk around, hurriedly dropped the files on the neares table, grining from ear to ear as he run after Jackson who was already through the door.

 

Mark walked up to Taecyeon who was pacing earnestly up and down, he run up to Mark when he saw him and dragged him hurriedly along with him into the club "Hurry, hurry..this is huge man...I have been with this organization for years,, i've never seen Ace...but thanks to you i get to see him today" he rattled on as he shoved his way through the crowd pulling Mark behind him.

"Wait, wait" Mark stopped "What do you mean?" he yelled above the loud music.

"The boss wants to meet you"

"Why?" Mark asked nervously "I thought you said anyone who he asks to see disappears"

"Yea..that is if you cross him... but he's impressed with how you got away from the tactical team at the harbor"

"Look man i did not exactly esc--"

"It doesn't matter how...he heard you escaped without a trace and now he thinks you are some kind of special guy...come on this way" he grabbed Mark's hand again and led the way. They exited through the back where two men dressed in sleek black suit were waiting beside a black sedan car "You're late" the taller of the two said looking at his watch.

"Sorry" Taecyeon said nervously.

The second man opened the back door as the first man made his way to the driver's seat. Taecyeon stepped forward to get in the car but the man put his hand to his chest stopping him "Him" he pointed to Mark "alone."

Mark looked at Taecyeon a liitle scared, Taecyeon looked back at him a little disappointed and scared as he tried to put on his brave face to reassure Mark "It's ok" he smiled nervously.

Mark got into the car and they drove off. The car arrived at a river and the men got on a boat with him, they sailed off into the still night and arrived shortly at  a large isolated mansion on the river bank. the men escorted him into an extravagantly furnished office "wait here" one of them said sternly.

A long wait later a beautiful, tall woman with short hair and a boyish look entered with a man who didn't look much older than Mark himself. Mark tried hard to stop staring at the woman but wasn't doing a very good job. The young man sat behind his desk, pulled a knife from his pocket and began toying with it, as he studied Mark.

"Beautiful. Isn't she?" he questioned Mark.

"Huh? Eh...." Mark hesitated.

"It's ok you can say it" he added when Mark looked at the knife he was playing with nervously. He put down the knife but kept his hand on it.

"Um..yes..very" Mark managed to say.

"The next time you at her like that again, I will gorge out your eyes" He took his hand off the knife and laughed eerily as Mark tried to smile back nervously.

"Thank you Gold" the man said to the lady who handed him an envelope "Welcome to the big games boy" he handed the envelope to Mark.

Gold looked at Mark provocatively and smiled seductively as she walked out, Mark quickly tore his eyes away as he noticed the young man staring at him.

 

Gold walked toward Jackson who was standing at the counter in a cafe, she stood beside him and picked up the menu. Jackson ignored her and continued talking into his phone.

"You're late" he said the phone still to his ear.

"Oh nice to meet you too" she replied running her finger through the menu.

"What do you have?"

"He's planning something. I don't know what exactly..He's being very careful but i managed to get something, he has secured a ware house... oh and there's a new guy" She put the menu face down and gestured for the waiter

"Give me a sundae...extra large"

"I need more to go on, Gold"

"how about we switch places for a day" she grabbed her sundae "He's paying, adios" pointing to Jackson.

Jackson lifted the menu and pulled out the envelope Gold left, he opened it and fliped through the papers. He saw a photo of Mark and angrily banged his fist on the counter, what was he doing getting involved with Ace? he put money on the counter, gathered his papers and headed out.

Mark walked up to his father's hose to pick up a few things and saw Jackson waiting at the gate, he bit his lip in regret. He should have gone to Sadia's house, his instincts were always spot on. Jackson angrily approached Mark when he saw him. "Am i under arrest" Mark said sarcastically "detective?"

"I went to the store, they said you quit" Jackson fumed.

Mark ignored him and tried to walk past him but Jackson put his hand on his chest to stop him, he slaped Jackson's hand away angrily.

"Why are you working with Ace? Why?" Jackson screamed at Mark "Are you trying to get yourself killed?!!" his eyes were blood red and b with tears.

"I don't know!!" Mark yelled " Maybe i'm looking for something to fill the void you left, someone to put back together the heart you broke!!" Mark's tears fell freely down his face "What? Now you care if i die or live? huh?!!" his voice cracked " I needed you to be there!!! and you bailed on me!!" he screamed " I could just kill you right now"

"I'm sorry" Jackson sobbed.

Mark began to walk away and Jackson grabbed him, he broke free and punched Jackson in the face. Jackson looked at Mark in disbelief, the hands that had always protected him was now striking him. " Just go, Please" Mark's voice broke as he realized hat he just did. Jackson spat out the blood in his mouth as Mark walked away, he turned and walked away in the opposite direction breaking into a run.

Flashback

Jackson had a knife pointed at the convenience store clerk "Don't try anything funny!!" he yelled as he stuffed his pocket with money from the register.

"What are you doing?" Mark barged into the store out of breath. Jackson becomes distracted and surprised to see Mark, the store clerk took his chance and lunged toward Jackson to wrestle the Knife from him, Jackson accidently stabbed him "no.no.no.no.no what do i do? what do i do?" Jackson cried.

They both crouched down and tried to revive the man, they heard police sirens approaching, the man had triggered his alarm during the commotion. Mark tried to get Jackson to get up from the dying man, he picked the knife and put it in his back pocket. " Come on man, we've got to go!! Now!!" Mark pulled up jackson and they made a run for it. They had not left fas enough and had a police team on their feet, they knew the neighborhood very well but still couldn't lose the police because there were perimeter blocks all over. After a wild chase, the police started firing shots one of which caught Mark in the chest as they were making for the trains. Mark reeled forward falling on the rails "Mark!! Mark!! please, please" Jackson crouched beside him crying "Come on" he tried to pull Mark up. They run a few feet and Mark fell again. "I'm cold" Mark shivered holding on tightly to the front of Jackson's shirt "I'm afraid" he shivered. Jackson held him tight crying, not knowing what to do as he felt his friend slowly getting stiff. He looked up and saw the police lights fast approaching. He let go off Mark and pulled his hands from his shirt " I'm sorry" He whispered.

"Don't leave me. please" Mark cried weakly. Jackson took one long look at his friend and saw his eyes close as he turned and run away without looking back.

End Flashback.

Jackson continued running hard away from the demons that had hauntedhim for the last ten years, he should have looked back. He should have gone back, then he would have known, that Mark had only passed out from his body going to shock because of too much blood loss. He would have known that his friend had been charged for attempted murder because the store clerk had survived. If he had gone back he would have known that his friend had spent ten years for his  crimes. He run onto the rail tracks where his life had ended ten years ago, he screamed into the still night and wept out his heart.