003

My Brother's Keeper

Jun Hoon sat in the front row of his classroom looking up at the clock high up on the wall above the blackboard, counting the seconds till closing time. He was tapping his feet vigorously and clutching his school bag tightly to his chest. Four boys in the back were also clutching their bags and glaring at him, he charged out of the classroom as soon as the bell rang and the boys charged after him, he ran through the school halls that were slowly filling up, he occasionally looked behind him and run faster as the boys gained on him. He run through the compound, went behind the school and made for the abandoned construction site not far from his school, he was sure he could lose them there because he knew the place very well, it was his hideout, he even had friends there. He couldn’t understand why Jeong Hyun and his friends always chose him to pick on, he knew he could beat all four of them up but he had promised his mom never to fight. He kicked a large stone which he had not seen and stumbled before falling on sandy ground, he ignored his scraped knees and got up running again but he had slowed down form the pain, which gave the boys a chance to catch up with him and surround him.

Going somewhere?” Jeong Hyun the leader of the group asked.

Who do you expect to carry our bags?” his second in command added. Jun Hoon ignored them and just stretched out his arms trying to avoid getting beat up.

They dumped their bags in his outstretched arms and dragged him to the abandoned construction site. They bullied him into climbing and jumping off a high wall. Defending himself meant fighting with them and he didn’t want to give his mum a hard time, she had enough trouble being a single mother. He closed his eyes and jumped off the wall, lost his balance as he landed and broke his arm in the fall.

 

Jackson walked around the abandoned construction looking at his phone “Gold I’m going to kill you” he spoke to himself “Does this look like a warehouse to you?” he continued as the gps told him he had arrived at his location. He heard a scream from a distance and instinctively run towards it thinking he was about to get a lead for his investigation. He saw a group of boys hovering over another laying on the floor, he cursed under his breath.

Hey! Hey! Break it up” he yelled when he reached them. The boys grabbed their bags and made a run for it.

Are you ok?” he asked the boy who was trying to get on his feet, he looked different he noticed, he was darker and his eyes were the lightest brown he’d ever seen, it reminded him of a girl he used to know. He took a sudden liking to the boy.

“Yes. I’m fine” he brushed down the dirt from his clothes “nothing I can’t handle” the boy run his hand through his thick black hair and his lips as he placed his other hand on his waist and leaned on one leg. The boy’s body movements reminded him of someone, himself!.

You don’t look fine” he pointed at the boy’s arm which was beginning to swell up. The boy instinctively covered it up with his other hand, he reminded Jackson so much of himself. He used to be bullied too, but he had someone who always protected him.

 

 

Flashback

Six year old Jackson was surrounded by a group of bigger boys being pushed back and forth between the boys like they were playing catch and he was the ball. They were teasing him for being the son of the neighborhood , they pushed him to the ground and began to kick him. Mark was walking by running an errand for his neighbor when saw what was going on, he run to help Jackson and ends up getting kicked too, he covered Jackson’s body with his to prevent the kicks from hitting him. The boys lost interest because they weren’t hearing Jackson’s screams which were fueling them and they run off. Mark got up off Jackson and pulled him up to his feet.

Are you hurt?” Mark asked brushing the dust off Jackson’s clothes

No” Jackson began brushing Mark’s clothes off “Why did you help me?”

I don’t know…just because.” He smiled at Jackson.

 

Nine year old Jackson and ten year old Mark stood outside the mosque “can I come to church with you on Sunday?” Mark asked Jackson.

Why do you always want to come to church with me?

Because I like eating communion” Mark shrugged.

We don’t go to church anymore” Jackson lowered his head and stared at his hands fidgeting with them in his lap.

“Why

They said my mom…you know” Jackson looked up at mark who smiled and took off his taqiya and put it on Jackson’s head.

We can just go to the mosque, you said you like It better” Mark grinned.

Yes…but that’s because I like Sadia”

Mark cuffed Jackson’s head under his armpit “ya! What about me?” he said through gritted teeth as Jackson wrestled him and got away from him, they chased after each other in front of the Mosque until an elderly woman came and pulled them by their ears into the mosque, they knelt down and began to pray, looking at each other and smiling.

 

Seventeen year old Mark raced through the school halls and barged into Jackson’s classroom “Jackson ! “ he yelled “we have to go now!!”

Jackson got to his feet and they run out together “What’s going on?" he panted as they run out the school gates and Mark hailed a taxi.

Your mum…Ajussi hurry”

After a short while, they run into the ER, but he was too late “She didn’t make it” the doctor put a hand to Jackson’s shoulder. His mom may not have been the best but she was all he had, he turned and looked desperately at Mark, his tears falling uncontrollably. Mark pulled his head to his chest and held him as he shared his friend’s pain they cried together.

A handful of people attended the funeral, Mark took care of it as Jackson sat in a corner by himself, engulfed in sorrow. Most people had come out of curiosity and not out of respect for her. “Do you know what happened to her?” he heard a group of people talking.

They said she fought with the man when he refused to pay and he stabbed her” one answered.

She had it coming” another added

How can the family leave a sixteen year old boy to hold a funeral”

I’ve never seen any family visit her”

Jackson got up and tried to contain his anger, he run out of the funeral hall. Mark took care of things and finished the funeral. Jackson sat at the rooftop of their school smoking a pack of cigarettes when Mark walked up to him and sat beside him, he took the smoke from Jackson’s lips and quenched it before throwing it away “I knew I’d find you here”. Jackson ignored him and they sat there in silence for the longest time.

I don’t have anything left” Jackson said in a quiet voice finally breaking the silence.

What am I to you then?” Mark asked.

You know what I mean” he looked sideways at Mark.

No” Mark smiled warmly at his friend, Jackson had always held a special place in his heart but he had known long ago that the feeling wasn’t mutual “ Here” he spat in his palm “let’s make a pact…brothers for life

Jackson chuckled and shook his head, Mark always had that effect on him, it was so easy for him to make him smile and forget his pain. “Oh come on” Mark pushed.

Ok Ok” Jackson spat in his palm “Brothers for life” he shook Mark’s hand.

End Flashback

Looking back Mark had always been by his side, giving him everything without taking anything and he took everything without ever giving. He realized the boys arm was turning blue “There is a clinic down the street, let them have a look at that arm” he suggested.

“No!” Jun Hoon panicked, he didn’t want his mum to find out about him being bullied “I uh…I …” he searched for the perfect lie “ I have a phobia of hospitals!!” he exclaimed “I’ll have an anxiety attack if I go near one”

Jackson knew the boy was lying but he couldn’t just let him go with that arm, the boy reminded him so much of himself it was uncomfortable “Ok Ok, I’ll take a look at it" he decided to help the boy “ follow me” he started to walk away “ it’s ok I’m a cop” he added when he didn’t hear the boy following.

 

Mark was on his ninetienth count doing his pull ups in Ace's gym, it's been a month since they were introduced but he was already close with his boss, the guy was always asking for him. They went on walks, ate dinner together and talked, he couldn't even get any free time. He grunted as he felt his muscles fire up but still kept on doing the pull ups, he had to keep going because once he stopped he will be thinking about Jackson again and that was much more painfull than his muscles shredding. He missed him dearly, seeing him that night a month ago and the tears on his face had made him want to hold him and comfort him, then he realized he had never stopped loving him, he knew Jackson had never and will never love him in that way but he did and always will. He heard light footsteps behind him and pulled out his gun in quick flash jumping downand pointing his gun at the intruder.

"Settle down bruce lee...it's just me" Gold had come into the gym.

He tucked his gun behind him and wiped the sweat of his face and chest, he looked at Gold and saw her checking him out, he smiled coyly and pulled a white t-shirt over his head. Gold has been flirting with him openly, he found her attractive and would have gotten involved with her if it wasn't for their boss who was also flirting with him, he even told him to call him by his real name Jnr when nobody was around. "What do you want Gold" he asked after gulping down a bottle of water, watching her strut herself infront him in those tight skinny yoga pants and the crop top made his throat scorch and he couldn't help ogling at her.

"Nothing i just came to work out...it's a pulic place remember?" she walked past him and laid on the bench press, she had to get his attention somehow, he was close to Ace and she could get the information she wanted if she could close to him. He scoffed and returned back to his pull ups, looking at her from the corner of his eyes. She grabbed the bar and it dropped on her chest, Mark jumped down and grabbed it of off her smiling at the cuteness of her trying not to scream "be careful" he said hovering over her, she just blinked looking back up at him. He noticed her long lashes brushing her cheeks when she blinked, and the pink blush in her cheeks, and the slight part of her plump cherry lips, he couldn't help bringing his head down and kissing her. Her lips were soft, softer than he'd imagined, and when she kissed him back it was gentle and submissive,  opposite of the hardcore tomboy image she had. He pulled her up to her feet and she pressed her body firmly against his,gnawing gently at his lower lip, their passion slowly rising. They jumped apart when they heard the gym door open, breathing heavily trying to catch their breaths. 

"He's asking for you" a man in an all balck suit addressed Mark.

"I'll be a minute" Mark replied.

"I'm supposed to bring you now" the man insisted and stepped aside to let Mark through.

Mark exchandeg looks with Gold and followed the guard.

Half way toward Ace's quarters the guard stopped and Mark walked on by himself, it was the only part of the large estate that nobody was allowed to go except by invitation. He walked into the grand hall, it was dim and and shadowy.

"Here" Ace called from the back of the room, Mark was startled and turned aroung he hadn't seen him there. Ace was dressed in his usual all white suit and fedora on top of his head. Mark made his way to the back.

"Let me see your hand" Ace smiled when mark hesitantly put out his right hand "I thought this would look good on you" he put the gold rolex he was hiding behind him on Mark's wrist.

"Sir?" Mark was surprised

Ace waved his forfinger and shook his head "Jnr. please"

"Jnr" Mark nodded "I don't know what to say"

"oh...um...thank you will be just fine"

"Thanks" Mark frowned "but i can't take it"

"Why?" Ace asked confused as to why anyone would refuse such a gift, but then again Mark was not just anyone, he was intrigued by him since the very first day he met him and was determined to make him his.

"It's just too grand, it's not me"

"keep it... please?" Ace begged "You can do something for me in return"

"What" Mark asked.

"Have dinner with me. tonight"

"The shipment is tonight" Mark tried to get out of it "I have to be there".

"I already assigned Gold to take care of things" Ace said, he didn't know how the deal was going to go and he didn't want to risk Mark getting hurt, Gold he could do without, she has always been just a front to cover up his uality "I'll see you at six" he added finalizing their conversation.

Mark stared at the rolex, he liked it, for once in his life he had something nice "thanks" he said before walking out.

"Don't be late" Ace called after him.

"I see you got yourself another boy toy" Youngjae, Ace's partner who had been watching yelled from upstairs.

"Shut up" Ace chuckled.

"First you lure them in, then you shoot them to keep them quiet when you are bored with them" Youngjae walked down the stairs.

"This is different" Ace walked to the bar and poured two glasses of whiskey.

"How different" Youngjae sipped his drink.

"I don't know" Ace swirled his drink around in his glass "Him...he's different"

Youngjae shuddred and rolled his eyes. "Just don't let him too close, especially bringing him here"

"Ok,Ok" Ace finished his drink

"I had Gold followed like you asked, came up with nothing"

"Keep digging" Ace walked away

"Where are you going when we are talking business?"

"To cook" Ace grinned
"Ugh God" Youngjae dropped his head on the bar, a little too hard and winced as he rubbed his forhead.

The drive to the police station was short, he opened the door for the wide eyed boy he had brought along with him "stay close" he said to the boy when he jumped down excitedly and they walked inside "don't touch that!" he said to the boy who was fidgeting with his badge when he put it on the front desk to sign in "come on" he walked away as the boy jogged to keep up with him.

"Now let me take a look at that arm" he said after taking out his first aid kit when they got into his office. The bit his lip and tried not wince as Jackson treated his arm "I don't get it, you seem like a smart kid so why do you let them bully you?" he noticed the boy lower his head "Do your parents know?"

"Parent" Jun Hoon corrected

"Huh?" Jackson was confused

"Parent" Jun Hoon repeated "I only have one"

Jackson chuckled "ok, does your parebt know?" he asked emphasizing on 'parent'. Jun Hoon shook his head. "Ok" Jackson nodded, he understood all too well, he had been that kid once, the kid who didn't want to bother his mom because he felt things were already hard on her. "There. all done" he pinned the last corner of the bandage on "let's go, i'm taking you home" he put the first aid kit back on the shelf just as JB barged in "we got a lead, Gold just called in a deal going down tonight" he annouced "and who is this youngman" he asked when he noticed Jun Hoon.

"he's uh" Jackson couldn't remember whether he had asked the boy's name or not.

"Jun Hoon" the boy said confidently "I'm his friend" he pointed at Jackson. 

Jackson smiled and nodded "that's right he's my friend"

"anyway, wheels up in five" JB stormed out of the room.

Jackson grabbed his to go bag and filled his gun before holstering it around his waist "You can find your way home right?"

"Yes" the boy replied

"alright" Jackson bent over and placed his hands on his knees and looked at the boy's face "Stay out of trouble kiddo" he ruffled his hair stood up and left the room all the while wondering why he had done that, he wasn't that great with kids so why was he taking a liking to this one, it was the eyes, he was sure of it.

 

Jackson and JB were parked on the corner of the street staking out the place where the deal Gold told them about was going to take place, Jackson had the binoculars to his eyes as JB was trying hard not to fall asleep "Here they come" Jackson nudged JB who picked up a recorder and started recording their observations. They saw a black SUV pull up under the bridge and one guy go up an abandoned truck and lay in hiding on top of it "It's a set up!" he was saying to jb when a white sedan car pulled up and Gold and three other men got out,Jackson started to get out of the car "You'll blow her cover !" JB yelled and Jackson got back in the car banging the door angrily. They watched as Gold exchanged suitcases with the men and they saw them suddenly pointing guns at eachother. Jackson run out at the sound of the first gunshot, JB running after him. Gold was crouching behind her car reloading her gun when Jackson and JB joined her "What the hell?" she pulled her arm around the car and fired shots "are you tryiing to get me killed?"

"I'm not going" she refilled her gun again.

"You're under too much fire" Jackson yelled above the gunshots "I'll draw them out" he shot somemore "take her out of here" he said to JB

"Two of your men are already dead, now come on" JB pulled Gold.

""I've got this!" Gold yelled "If that guy makes you, i'm gonna be dead anyway" she pointed her head at the direction of her remaining guard "Now get out of here before you get us all killled" 

"Damn it!!" Jackson cursed knowing she was right, if the guy saw them he would tell Ace and Gold would end up dead.

"Go now!" Gold drew their opponents fire towards her as Jackson and JB got away.

 

"What happened?!!" Ace belowed making everyone in his presence cringe "one simple deal? and you get dealt?!" 

"I already told you, it was a setup" Gold tried to remember all her undercover training because she was really beginning to feel scared, she knew all too well how it always eneded when Ace was like this.

"Don't give me that crap!!" Ace belowed he looked sideways at Mark and walked closer to him stopping an inch from him "Get out of here, i don't want you to see this" he said, his voice so low and ominous it sounded eeirie.

"Jnr please don't--"

Bang! Marks words trailed of at the sound of the gun shot, Gold gasped and shut her eyes tight as she felt the blood of the guard that was with her splatter on her face. Jnr saw Mark's face white from shock and he hated it , he hadn't want Mark to see this side of him but he had a reputatiion to keep "Clean this up" he said to his men and dropped the gun at Gold's feet, he grabbed Mark's hand and walked out of the room with him.

He let go off Mark's hand when they had gone far enough from the building towards the bank of the river "say something" he kept his back to Mark when he spoke.

"I don't have anything to say" Mark was afraid to say the wrong thing, he always was whenever they talked but tonight it was fear, he felt afraid.

Ace turned around and faced Mark who avoided his gaze "Look at me" he said calmly "Look at me!!" he raised his voice when Mark didn't look up the first time, he saw the fear and disgust in his eyes when he finally did "am i that disgusting? are you afraid of me?"

"No" Mark lied " did...did you have to do that?" he found the courage to ask.

"How do you think i keep control of all this? hmm?" Ace asked " They fear me and i have to keep it that way" he put his hand at the back of Mark's head and stared into his eyes " i do that because i have to, it's the only language they understand" he could still see the fear in Mark's eyes "You should know i would never hurt you...get out of here" he shoved Mark's head to the side gently. Mark wasn't sure if those were tears he saw in Ace's eyes but he didn't bexactly care he just wanted to get out of there as fast as his legs could carry him, Ace or Jnr or whatever just creeped him out.

Mark was shortly at the building again having practically run, he stopped infront of Gold's quarters and looked around to make sure he wasn't being watched before he entered "Hey,hey it's just me" he put his arms up when a startled Gold pulled her gun on him.

"God!! Is everyone trying to get me killed tonight?" She tucked her gun behind her and looked out her window to check if he was followed "Yes?"

"Look, chill. ok? i'm just checking on you" Mark replied.

"You know what would happen if he knew you were here, he already called the bids on you" Gold threw her hands up in the air.

"Then what was this afternoon about?" Mark moved a little closer to Gold.

"Look you've checked on me, i'm fine so leave, please"

Mark pulled her to him and lowered his head head toward her "I don't want to be alone tonight" he said softly caressing her cheek with her thumb

" me neither" she replied and pulled him in for a kiss.

 

Ace had been standing at a distance looking at the door through which Mark had entered, he knew that was Gold's room, he had noticed Gold flirting with Mark but he hadn't thought he would be folish enough to get involved with her when he had warned him not to. "Hey i've been looking for you everywhere" Youngjae had walked up to him.

"what couldn't you wait to tell me" Ace began walking away, Youngjae by his side.

"She's a cop!" Youngjae whispered "Gold. She's an undercover agent"

Ace stopped in his tracks "how did you find that out?"

"Jnr it's me , is there anything i can't find?" Younjae felt insulted "we should go get her now"

"No, i have to play my cards well" he grinned "and it's Ace to you" he began walking again, Younjae beside him trying to convince him they act on the information right away. Ace ignored him, he didn't want to do anything infront of Mark to scare him again, but he was going to deal with her, if not for anything he was going to enjoy slowly torturing her for daring to place her hands on what was his.