001

My Brother's Keeper

Mark laid on his back on a hard army style cot bed inside his prison cell, his hands were folded behind his head and one leg propped up against the wall as he stared blankly at the bottom of the bed above him. Today he was going to be a free man again, he was happy but scared, it’s been ten years inside those four walls, what had changed? What had remained the same? He swung his legs over the side of the bed and sat up, he took in the cell with his eyes, staring at the discolored, peeling grey walls that had made his home for the past decade, he got up and began to put the souvenirs he’d come to acquire over time into a medium sized shoe box, his cell door opened “Time to go” the warden called out. Mark secured his shoe box filled with his belongings under his arm, he followed the warden to the front desk. The clothes he had come there with were presented to him together with a new pair of shirt and pant, he was barely a man, a boy yet, when he had arrived at the prison and was now a full grown man, and so they had made provisions for new clothes since his clothes wouldn’t fit. “Thank you” he said to the warden and changed out of his prison clothes, he signed his release papers and was escorted to the main gates by a police officer. “Open the gates!” the police man yelled into the com “Take care boy” he looked at Mark with sincerity. Mark nodded his head lightly and walked out the large steel gates, he turned and watched it shut, he crouched low and buried his face in his hands as he wept silently.

Mark walked up a dirt road in a residential area, the sides of the streets were filled with convenient stores and vendors, for a minute he thought he was lost until he saw the old evergreen tree he used to play under with his best friend, the sudden thought of his friend made him misty eyed as he felt a sharp twinge in his heart, it happened every time he thought of him, with time during his incarceration he had learned not to think of him but being at the place where they grew up together made memories come flashing in. He stopped in front of a yellow semi-detached family house, the color was different, there were flowers and trees, it looked brighter, it looked like a home. It wasn’t the gloomy dark house he always wanted to stay away from. The Laughter of a child drew him from his deep thoughts, he looked over the waist high wall into the court yard of his childhood home, he saw a bubbly little boy and smiled at him, the boy met his gaze and run to hide behind the legs of the man he was playing with, Mark’s gaze drifted from the shy little boy and fell on the grey haired man, he smile faded and he face became saddened, as he saw his father, he hadn’t changed much besides the grey hair. It had been ten years since they saw each other, not once had he visited him in prison, he walked away from the wall and entered the compound through the gates, the child peeked from behind his father and pointed at Mark as he tugged on the old man’s jeans, the old man looked at what his little son was pointing at and his warm smile faded from his face. Mark walked up slowly to them “papa” his simple word were spoken with so much weight, carrying all the questions he wanted to ask him, why didn’t you come? Did you hate me that much? He blinked away the tears in his eyes.

“Mark?” his father’s voice was hoarse as he choked up.

A middle aged woman burst out of the front door of the house laughing out on the top of her voice, she was calling out to the old man and the little boy. Mark and his farther continued to stare at each other, each shedding silent tears, one feeling guilty for abandoning his son in jail, the other sorry for the shame he brought his father. The woman stopped in his tracks and her laughter faded away as she took in what was happening.

 

Jackson sat in the front row among his colleagues at his graduation ceremony from the police academy, he looked up at the stage and saw his adoptive father beaming down at him, the man had found him wandering ten years ago and taken him under his wing, he had given him a college education, thought him everything he knows and made a decent man out him, he smiled back at him. His name was called to receive an award for graduating top of his class, he smiled broadly as he shook the president’s hand. Shortly, the ceremony was over and his father paraded him proudly in front of his colleagues. He was having a hard time keeping his fake smile glued on his face, he didn’t feel like he deserved to be here, not after everything he did. He had no right, he thought of his best friend, and began being short of breath, he took the medals form his neck and dumped them in his father’s hands “I’ll see you at home” he run out of the hall and kept running, running from the lie he was living and running from himself, he felt like he has been standing on the sidelines looking in on someone else’s life.

 

Sadia, a young slender woman in her late twenties with dark tanned complexion and long black hair, run around her apartment getting herself ready for work and her son ready for school. Nine year Jun hoon came out of his room in his pajamas, he strolled to the dining table and picked up a piece of toasted bread, he yawned and scratched his messy hair, he opened his mouth to take a bite but his mum grabbed it out of his mouth and puts it back on the plate.

Maa” Jun Hoon screamed

Go get dressed!! Now!!” Sadia yelled back at her son “we are not going to be late today” she held her band in as she pulled up her hair. They both ignored the ringing door bell.

Can I just have breakfast first” Jun hoon pleaded, the door bel rang again “How long is it going to take for me to get dressed?” the door bell rang again. Jun Hoon picked up a box of juice and was about putting it ti his mouth, his mum grabbed it from him, poured a glass and shoved it into his hand.

five minutes, that’s all you get….” She hopped around trying to get her shoes on, the door bell rang again “Coming!!!...God!!

Get the door ma” Jun hoon called with his mouth full

What am I doing?” She retorted sarcastically as she scurried toward the door. She opened it and gasped when she saw Mark, he smiled at her and shrugged his shoulders, she jumped up and hugged him wrapping her legs around him, they hugged for a while before he put her down, she sniffed and wiped away her happy tears laughing, she had mixed emotions seeing her oldest friend “come on in” she pulled him in by the hand and sat him down at the dining table, Jun Hoon looked up at them with his face stuffed with toast.

Is this Jun?” Mark laughed “you are a man now...last time I saw you, you were this big” he gestured with his hand.

Jun, do you remember your uncle Mark?” Sadia asked. They boy nodded “We used to visit him” looking back at his plate. Mark stretched his hand and patted Jun Hoon’s head as he watched him stuff his face with scrambled eggs, toast and sausages. He couldn’t believe how much Jun looked like him, the black hair, the dark skin and the smile. He smiled as he saw his friend’s face in the little boy.

Go get dressed hon” Sadia pulled the plate from the boy

I’m not done...” he cried out trying to grab the plate back.

Yes you are” she maneuvered the plate around the reaching boy and dumped it in the sink

Jun Hoon walked away still talking with food in his mouth, Sadia walked back from the sink and sat by Mark, she stared intently at him “You’re free” she reached out and squeezed his hand.

Mark covered her hand with his other hand “yes I am” he smiled at her and she smiled back.

 

Two years later, Jackson walked across the sandy football pitch behind the primary school, down the winding rough road toward the precinct. He cheerfully greets the vendors by the road side, he was very popular among the women because of his good looks “The bananas I bought yesterday were spoilt, you have to replace it” he said as he approached a fruit vendor.

Ok, chose what you want” the vendor replied

Jackson bent over and pretended to be seriously examining every single banana.

You are late, stop flirting with the ladies” a senior detective passing by said jokingly.

Sir! Yes Sir!” Jackson yelled jokingly standing at attention, he run and caught up with the detective. The walked into the precinct together talking and laughing.

That afternoon, the detectives gathered around Jackson’s desk, cheering and betting to a paper soccer game he was playing with his partner JB. The chief of the precinct walked in and everyone scattered immediately, the room falling silent as they pretended to be doing their work. Jackson oblivious to the presence of the chief jumped and cheered when he scored, he fell silent when he noticed everyone was back at their desk, he turned around and winced, cursing under his breath when he saw his adoptive father glaring at him. “In my office, now!” the chief walked away. “Sir” Jackson followed the chief into his office “We were just…” he started to explain

Sit!” the chief commanded. Jackson knew that tone of voice and knew it had nothing to with him playing while on duty, he didn’t talk back and pulled back the chair opposite his father and sat down. The chief studied Jackson’s face for a second “You’ve been transferred to Seoul to join the narcotics team” he said in a gentle calm voice “You graduated top of your class and you are the best detective I have on my team, you are talented…I don’t want to see you waste it away on this God forsaken island”

“I did not put in a transfer” Jackson his dry lips and swallowed, his throat suddenly patch dry as he dreaded the prospect of going back to Seoul.

I did” the chief stared firmly at Jackson.

But…but…I can’t…I can’t transfer…please don’t make me” he pleaded with the man who had raised him, he owed him everything and wouldn’t be able to say no if he insisted on the transfer “My life is here, my friends…you…I just can’t”

Now you listen to me Jackson” the chief raised his voice “I still remember when I found you wandering around and engaging in petty theft” his voice was calm again as he recalled the boy he had met ten years ago “I do not know what it is in Seoul that you have been running from for the last ten years, but it is time you let go off your past. You are the closest thing I have to a child and I want to see you go high and do things I could not do” he stared into the dark eyes that stared back at him “ so you are going to go on that transfer and you are going to make me proud. Do you understand?”

Flashback

Eighteen year old Jackson run down a dark abandoned old road in the middle of the night, it was as if he was running for his life, his face was pale and ghastly, his hands and clothes covered in blood, he kept looking over his shoulder as he run as if he was being followed, he barged into a multi colored small wooden kiosk and shut the door, he leaned behind it and clutched the front of his chest panting for breath. He hurriedly grabbed his back pack, turned it upside down and emptied his books on the floor, he quickly began throwing in anything he could find in his tiny house, he cuts his mattress open with a pocket knife and pulls out a few won notes, he briefly counts his money and stuffed it in his shirt pocket, he puts a hoodie over his bloody shirt, he took one long look at his crappy little home and stepped out, he wiped the tears from his face and pulled the hoodie over his head, running off into the dead of the night.

A few weeks later, Jackson is being chased by a group of able bodied men for stealing at the harbor, he had spent all the money he had run away with and was picking pockets here and there to survive. He’d been able to get far away from Seoul but not from himself “Stop him, Stop that thief!!” one of the men chasing him yelled. Jackson bumped into an older man who grabbed him and stands between him and the men pursuing him. Jackson grabbed the older man’s arm “help me! Please” he cried frantically holding on to him.

 “Give him to us” another of the men chasing him demanded of the old man.

They’ll kill me!! Help me please!!” Jackson begged some more. As the men chasing him tried to grab him from behind the older man, the older man firmed up his grip on Jackson’s wrist, reached into his front pocket with his free hand and flashed his badge “Police” he put his badge back in his pocket as he tried to hold Jackson who was trying to get away from him steady “we can settle this here or take it down to the station” he stared the men down. “Stay put young man” he said to Jackson who was still trying to break free from his grip. Jackson stopped fighting knowing he was not going to get away, the men agree to settle not wanting anything to do with the police station “Where is the money” he asked Jackson who ignored him and tried to look defiant even though he was scared to his bones, the officer searched the pockets of a fighting Jackson and found the money, he handed it over to the men all the while not letting go off Jackson.

“Are you going to arrest him” another of the men asked.

Why? What does it matter? You have your money” The officer replied

Let’s just go” the men walked away leaving Jackson with the officer

Jackson not knowing what to think tried to act and sound tough “Let go of my hand” he yelled and was taken aback when the officer let him go without any hesitation. The officer looked down at Jackson with a concerned and a little frown on his forehead, he stretched out his hand for a handshake “Jin Young…Park Jin Young…everyone calls me chief” Jackson hesitantly took the hand shake “What’s your name son?”

Jackson…sir” he was calm now and had taken an instant liking to the man, it was the first time an adult had taken any interest in him, he’d never known his father and was drawn to the man’s kindness.

“Jackson” the chief smiled “well, the next time you shake a hand, you take a firm grip, like this” he tightened his grip and smiled when Jackson tried hard not wince, he placed the index finger of his other hand under Jackson’s chin and lifted his head “and you look them straight in the eye, like this” their eyes met and he recognized something in the young man. “Are you hungry boy?”

Jackson let go off the officer’s hand and looked up at him with whatever courage he had left “Are you going to arrest me?”

Should I?” the officer smiled kindly at Jackson and turned to walk away, Jackson hesitates for a second and began to follow the officer,

End flashback.

Jackson with a sullen look on his face got up and walked to the window, he let out a long sigh as he looked distantly through the window “Dad” he called.

Hmm” the chief hummed his response

Why?”

I already told you, I want to see you…”

No not that” Jackson turned away from the window and looked at the chief inspector “That night…ten years ago, why did you save me?”

The chief inspector got up from his desk, walked over and stood in front of Jackson “I saw something in you…myself” he placed a hand on Jackson’s shoulder “sometimes what a person needs to turn their life around is somebody to believe in them…once, a long time ago somebody believed in me, that night when I saw you I saw myself”

Jackson reached out his hand and the chief took it, Jackson looked straight at him straight in the eye and they shared a knowing and understanding look with each other “nice grip boy” the chief smiled.

“I learned form the best” Jackson smiled back “Thank you”.

 

A few weeks later, Mark walked through the busy streets of Seoul carrying boxes from a trailer into the shop where he worked, the street in front of the store was too narrow so the trailer parked three blocks away. He put his boxes down and slumped down to take a break. Mrs. Choi the shop owner came into the storage and saw him sprawled in the floor “How are you going to finish unloading the boxes at this rate!!” she yelled but Mark ignored her “Get up” she kicked him “do you hear me? Get up!!” she yelled

I just need a little break” Mark whined and pouted “I’ll finish before I go home, I promise” he beamed at the middle aged woman who fell for his charm, he shot up and walked past her toward the counter, he began searching “Ajumah don’t you have any water?” he continued searching and spotted a picture covering the whole front of the newspaper, he picked it up and looked closely, as he recognized the face of his best friend, his expression suddenly become one with grave pain in his eyes as he began to tear up, he is startled as the middle aged woman approached “Ajumah?” she scoffed. Mark folded the paper and put it under his arm, he clenched his teeth and forced a smile, he turned around to face Mrs. Choi “Sorry Agassi” he beamed “I was just getting back to work, don’t mess up your pretty face with a frown” he and walked away, his expression quickly becoming sullen when his back was to her.

Later that night, Mark sat on the floor of his bedroom the paper from before sprawled out in front of him, he cut out the picture on the front page, he flipped through the paper and cuts out an article about his friend. He reached across his bed and grabbed a tape, he opened his closet and pasted the paper he cut out amongst old articles already pasted there, they were all of his old friend. He had first seen him in the papers a few weeks ago for raiding a drug operation, he was proud of him for making something out of himself. He run his hand across the picture and a single tear escaped his eye “Jackson” he whispered, after everything he still missed him and wanted to be by his side, he didn’t hate him, he couldn’t, and he didn’t want revenge, all he wanted now, all he ever asked for was for him to be there by his side.

 

Mark!! Mark!! That boy is never around when you need him. Mark!!” Mrs. Choi began to walk around from the counter.

I’m here, I’m here…don’t disturb your precious voice” Mark came running into the shop trying to put on his shirt.

Where were you” Mrs. Choi demanded “No. I don’t want to know” she changed her mind “Grab two boxes of Jack Daniels and help take them to this gentleman’s car". Mark runs to the back room and comes out with the boxes “Please lead the way” he said to the gentleman “I’ll be back soon, don’t miss me too much” he teased his boss and laughed. The gentleman who ahd been talking on his phone until that point looked at Mark for the first time since he’d been there and recognized him, they’d been in prison together “Mark” the customer laughed. Mark when he heard his name looked at the gentleman properly and slowly set his box down as he recognized him, he hadn’t seen him in eight years “Hyung!! Taecyeon Hyung!!” the two men hugged and laughed heartily.

“It’s good to see you man” Taecyeon held the younger man at arm’s length and looked him over.

It surely is man” Mark replied looking at the expensive clothes and shoes his older friend was wearing.

How long have you…” Taecyeon’s words trailed off when Mark looked sharply over at Mrs. Choi who wasn’t paying attention to them and shook his head lightly at his friend. He picked up the boxes and headed out, Taecyeon followed him and took one box from him, they shared a warm smile and walked out together. Taecyeon popped the booth open and they put the boxes in. “You really look good man” Mark slapped his older friend on the arm.

Why didn’t you come look for me like I told you to?”

I did when I go out but they said you moved

Well, I’m glad I met you today, here take my card and give me a call ok?”

“I surely will”

“I will come and drag you out of here if you don’t”

Taecyeon got into his car and drove off, Mark watched the Porsche speed away, he turned and walked slowly toward shop as memories of their time together came flooding in

Flashback

The prison eating hall is filled with inmates eating their dinner, nineteen year old Mark is having his first prison meal. He sat alone at a table in the corner staring into his dry bowl of porridge, his depression and sorrow evident on his face. His hunger gets the better part of him and he takes a spoonful, held it in his mouth for a second and swallowed, he was displeased with the taste of the food but that was his only option if he didn’t want to starve to death. He took another spoonful and stared at it, dreading the awful taste that was about to hit his tongue, he closed his eyes and shoved it in his mouth, taking in deep breaths to stop himself from gagging. An older inmate sitting amongst a group gets up with his bowl of porridge and walked over to Mark, all eyes following him as he did so. He sat across him from the table and stared him down.

You better eat up fast, you only have five minutes left. There won’t be another meal until tomorrow” the inmate announced to Mark.

Mark looked up at the older inmate and slowly shifts his gaze to the inmate’s bowl of porridge, I didn’t look anything like a prison meal and smelled better, he was sure it was going to taste better too, he unknowingly his lips. The older inmate pushed his bowl across the table to Mark “Eat” he smirked.

Mark looked at the sumptuous bowl of food in front of him for a minute and dug in, a spoon after the other.

A few minutes after dinner, Mark walked in the hallway trying to get to his cell, he was breathing heavily, sweating and walking unsteadily, his vision was getting blurred and he couldn’t stand up straight. A group of inmates approached him from behind and two grabbed him, they hurriedly rush into the bathroom, a few people taking their shower quickly gathered their belongings and run out. They threw Mark across the room, he lost his balance and fell halfway to the floor, he looks up and his vision is hazy but he’s able to recognize the man who gave him the porridge “What did you give me?” he asked with a slurred speech. The man started approaching Mark, he tried to back away but is too drowsy. The man grabbed the front of Marks prison shirt and pulled it open, he grabbed the man’s hand and throws it away from him with the little strength he had left “Don’t touch me” He threw his fists frantically about him.

“Hold him down” the man ordered his followers. Two of them tried to grab Mark and hold him down but he struggled with them, staggering here and there, fighting them with the last of his strength as it dawned on him what was about to happen. He began to sob as he felt the men over power him and he felt his last strength leave him. They strip him and leaned him over, his milky white buttocks gleaming in the florescent light, as the older man gets ready to him, they heard a loud bang and turn around. Another older inmate entered “What do you think you’re doing?” He addressed the leader of the gang as he walked toward them.

What does it look like?....hmm?...Stay out of my business!!”

How can I stay out of your business when you do things that concern me?  Eh?”

The two older men were now face to face, glaring at each other, their breaths on each other’s face. The second older man tears his gaze away and looked at the two men holding down the almost unconscious Mark “take your hands off him” he ordered. The two men looked up at their leader, waiting for his command “No?” he spoke their leader this time, he signaled to his minions to let go off Mark and he smirked at his contender.

What now? There will always be others, will you save every single one of them? Tsk”

The latter older inmate shoved the first aside lazily and lifted up Mark who was now unconscious, he carried him out of the bathroom leaving the first older inmates and his group behind.

Mark slowly awoke from sleep and gradually took in his surroundings, he gripped his head from a painful headache. He jumped up startled as he regained full consciousness, his last memory was that of men attacking him, he began throwing his fist around as if to hit someone.

Hey! Hey! Hey!” the inmate yelled “You’re safe now, Stop!” he tried to grab Mark’s wrist.

Mark hadn’t noticed him in the room before, he remembered seeing him come to his defense before he lost consciousness, he swallowed hard “Did they…did they..?” he couldn’t bring himself to ask, the older inmate shook his head lightly.

You’re ok, nothing happened” he assured Mark.

Mark lowered himself slowly to the floor and crouched whilst shaking, he buried his face in his hands and sobbed silently as relief washed over him, he cried like that for a while and pulled himself together. “Thank you. Thank you” he sniffled.

The inmate nodded slightly “What is your name?”

“Mark…Mark Tuan”

Taecyeon” he reached under the bed for a cup and an old plastic bottle filled with water and poured some for Mark “ This place is hard, if you are going to survive you have to use your head” he tapped the his temple with his forefinger “wise up”.

Mark still sobbing, sniffled. Taecyeon looked down at him and took the empty cup from him “and toughen up” he poured himself a cup and drank.

End flashback.

Jackson walked into a convenience shop with his partner JB. They looked around the store a little amazed.

Are you sure this is the place? It doesn’t look like a lot goes on here” JB tapped on the counter.

My source was credible, this is it. I’m very sure.” Jackson picked up a box of juice from the shelf and examined it.

The store owner came out of the back room, he set the box in his hand on the counter “Can I help you?” he asked in a deep unwelcoming voice.

“Are you….” Jackson pulled out his tiny notebook from inside his blazer and referenced the name “Popeye?”

Who is asking?

Jackson and JB pulled out their badges and flashed it.

We are from the head office. We have a few questions for you” JB informed the man

The store clerk froze and began to slowly back away, Jackson and JB exchanged a knowing look.

Please don’t” JB said under his breath knowing the guy would make a run for it

Hey, we just want to talk, ok” Jackson tried to control the situation.

Look I don’t know anything!! Ok!!” the store clerk freaked out.

“Calm down” JB said in a firm but calm tone.

Talking to you will get me killed!!” the store clerk was frantic.

We’ll protect you” Jackson assured him

Bull!!” The store clerk yelled, he turned and bolted through into the back room and made for the back door.

Ugh…Please don’t run” JB said to himself as they both pulled out their guns “I’ll get the front” he yelled after Jackson who was long gone.

They chased after him through the maze and cluster of shops and houses. JB tired out shortly and lagged behind, heaving heavily and clutching his knees as Jackson went on a wild chase. “Yea…I’ll go start…just…catch….” He mumbled as he panted.

Jackson caught up with the store clerk after a wild chase, cuffed him and dragged him to the waiting car.

 

Jackson leaned against the wall in the interrogation room watching JB question Popeye who was sitting across the table in handcuffs.

“Look buddy, you might want to start talking now” he tried to pursue the young man

“I don’t know anything ok” he insisted “Man. I’m telling you I don’t know anything, alright?”

So why did you run? Hmm?”

Sooner or later you are going to have to let me go anyways, you don’t have anything on me”

Ok, fine. Don’t talk…I can do this all night” he folds his arms and engages in a staring contest with Popeye. He gave up first and began to throw a fit “Damn it!! Whoever it is you’re protecting, you think they care what happens to you? You are going to take the fall and rot in here for nothing!!” he began to pace angrily, he lunged for Popeye out of anger but Jackson tackled him, he pushed him off him and resumed pacing up and down. Jackson’s phone rang “Uh-huh, uh-huh. Bring it in. I want every single one of them here. Now!!” he hanged up grinning at JB and nodded.

“Well, well, well Popeye. Things don’t look really good for you right now…you see we found crates of illegal guns in your shop…now that’s going to put you away for a long long time” Jackson spoke low and calmly, trying to play the good cop.

I want a deal”

Jackson looked up at JB “He wants a deal” he laughed “Fine” turning back to Popeye “Give me something good, then I’ll see what I can do. Ok?”

Popeye hesitated, took a deep breath and sighed “Look, nobody knows who he is, ok.” He spoke in a lowered voice as if afraid someone would here.

Give me a name, I need a name” Jackson pushed.

“I don’t know…we just call him ace

“Ok?” Jackson urged him on.

“I don’t know what he looks like, and I’ve never seen him. He just sends out shipment information and we do the pickup. That’s all I know.”

When is the next shipment?” Jackson nodded at JB. JB took out his notebook and pen from his front pocket and slid it across the table to Popeye. He and Jackson exchanged looks as Popeye wrote down the information, he snatched the notebook away from him when he was done writing, they both shot up and made for the door, Jackson stopped and turned “Hey Popeye do you need some spinach? NO?” He giggled as JB laughed out loud. “Oh and say hi to Olivia when you get to jail” JB popped his head in and added. They walked out laughing and punching each other as they made silly jokes.

 

Mark walked up to his front door and heard his step mother and father in a heated argument as he was about to open the front door.

“I don’t want him here” he heard the woman say.

He’s my son, where do you want him to go?

And I am your wife

Are you asking me to choose?

He’s an ex-convict, have you stopped to think of the influence that may have on our son!! I don’t want him here, he leaves or I leave”

Mark walked away from the house as they continued to argue, he hopped up and sat on the waist high wall, he pulled out the business card he got from Taecyeon and turned it over and over in his hand, contemplating whether to call or not, he eventually dialed the number and called him up.

Mark walked up the stairs to the front door of Sadia’s apartment, he looked at the time on his phone, it was eleven fifteen pm. He knew he was always welcomed at her house, she had even offered for him to move with them but he was still hesitant. They had always had each other’s back, all three of them had been outcasts and that was the glue that held them together. He rang the doorbell and was shortly answered by Sadia wearing her pajamas with her hair held high in a bun with a large set of reading glasses on her nose.

Pulling an all nighter?” Mark pushed past her into the apartment after kissing her cheek.

My boss is hell bent on making my life miserable” she put the bolts back on her door “want a drink?” she turned to go get it. Mark grabbed her wrist and stopped her.

“No” he said quietly, Sadia frowned worried about her friend. He led her to the couch and sat her down, he laid down and placed his head in her lap.

Are you ok?” she caressed his head.

No” he said flatly.

Did they fight again?

“I should leave, he deserves to be happy. When my mum left us he was so angry and drunk all the time, and he hated me because I reminded him of her. You know I thought that now that he had a wife and son, we would get along, but it’s not like that. I feel like I’ve been replaced” he laughed a little “He even gave him my name…I know this is his second chance but it still hurts” he rolled onto his side and buried his face in her tummy, he began to sob as she soothed him with calming words, he fell asleep in her lap, she got a blanket and gently covered him up.

The next day, Mark walked up to Taecyeon who was already seated and waiting in the café, he got up and greeted mark heartily when he saw him approach. “I already ordered for, I hope that’s ok” he laughed

Of course” Mark dropped the menu.

Have you thought about what I said last night?

Mark nodded with an uninterested look on his face

And?” Taecyeon prompted. Mark shrugged.

“This job is safe, I promise and the money is good…Just pick up and deliver. That’s it” he saw no change in Mark “What? Are you going to be a store boy forever? Come on man...” he tried to convince him.

Mark knew he had to do something better but he didn’t want to get involved in anything illegal, but he needed to get out of home and didn’t want to live off of Sadia, that girl was too nice for her own good, and besides he had nothing to lose “What do I need to do?”.

Everything is in there” Taecyeon slid him a brown envelope.

Am I going alone?

You’ll be with two of my boys and a truck driver

This better be good” he stared intently at Taecyeon.                                                                     

 

Jackson and JB togrther with their captain huddled over a plan laid out on the captain’s desk, discussing how to attack. “This is where the container will be, we just need to lay an ambush here. We station a sniper here and here.” He pointed to the places on the plan.

We just need special forces and it’s a go” JB added

And this Popeye is credible” the captain’s statement was more of a question.

It is, he was couruer for him. If we don’t strike now we may not get another opportunity” Jackson explained to the captain.

Besides it’s the most solid lead we’ve had in months” JB added

Alright. It’s a go” the captain ordered.

 

Two men wearing all black and holding flashlights walked hurriedly between the mazes of containers, they seemed to be searching for a particular one as they shone their lights briefly on the container numbers before moving on.

The perimeter of the harbor was surrounded by police cars, Jackson and his team waiting in position. The tactical team arrived and Jackson signaled them to follow him, they run stealthily and silently toward the east lot.

 

“Hurry! This is it!” one of the men searching for the container called to his partner who dialed his phone while the first broke the lock of the container “Bring the truck around to the east lot” he said into the phone.  The truck driver arrived not long after and they begin to load the truck with wooden crates from the container.

 

Jackson and the tactical team arrive at the east lot and began to move in for the arrest, they turn on the siren and flash their lights when they got in close proximity. “You are surrounded by the police. I have guns aimed at you to do not move” Jackson spoke over the pa. The three men dropped their crates as the bright blue and red lights flashed at them “Walk seven paces forward! Halt! Slowly put your hands behind your head. No sudden moves. Move and you are dead” Jackson instructed over the pa.

He signaled for the tactical team to advance and make the arrest. One of the men seeing that the tactical team were between him and the line of fire took his chance and made a run for it, shots were fired but ricocheted on the containers, Jackson dropped his com and pulled out his gun in flash, he chased after him with a couple of the tactical team on his tail. The tactical team quickly lost them in the maze of containers. After long chase of hide and seek in the maze he got a clear shot of his back “Freeze!! Or I’ll shoot!” He held his gun up high for aim. The man stopped. “Hands where I can see them! Turn around! Slowly!”.

The man turned and they stared at each other as the blood rushed out of Jackson’s face, his hands began to shake fervently “M..Ma…” he stuttered unable to utter the name after ten long years. It was Mark standing in front of him in living color, he had believed he died that night, it hadn’t crossed his mind once that he could be alive. Mark smiled faintly happy to see his best friend again after so long but it quickly faded as he remembered the past. They heard footsteps quickly approaching, Mark run into the shadows and disappeared. Jackson just stood there his gun still pointed at where Mark had stood.

Sir! Are you alright? You look like you’ve seen a ghost” one member of the tactical team asked.

Yes, I just…I just lost him” he lied.

~~~7777777~~~