☾ • four •

☾rescent | HIATUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Watanuki,” CL started one day as she swept the yard.

“Yes?” he replied, sipping his cup of green tea on the porch.

“Do you know what exactly I’m doing here at this shop?” CL asked.

“Nope.” he bluntly replied. CL looked at him with a disapproving glare then returning to her work.

“Though, I’ll need to clarify something.” Watanuki started, taking another sip from his green tea.

“What?” CL asked, but his actions were slow. The cool autumn breeze blew past them as he took his time, drinking more of his tea.

“Two months ago, when we have first met, what did you mean by ‘you must be one of those after me aren’t you?’” he asked kindly.

“Wow, nice memory... About that...” CL breathed. “Well, ever since I was small, or should I say, since I was born, I have always been hunted down for.”

“Why’s that?”

“My family had a long yet powerful line of magicians. Protecting each other, we all lived together in a small, peaceful village far away from other towns. A small village that only we lived in. But on the day I was born, a man who was searching for our powers we’ve inherited, had barged into our village and murdered everyone he saw without mercy, crushing their souls and consuming their powers.”

“Ah, so you’re magic comes from your souls.” Watanuki figured.

“Yes.” she continued, “Leaving me as their last possible hope, everyone in town transferred their powers over to me before they died. I was taken away by my aunt and rushed into a forest where an old couple happened to be strolling within. The old couple then adopted me as their own and my aunt ran back and died as well. By the time I turned four, the hunter had managed to find me and murdered my adoptive parents as well, leaving me no choice but to run.”

“That is quite a past. Did all transfer their powers over to you?” Watanuki questioned.

“The ones who died before they got the chance did not. But everyone else had.” CL replied.

“Was it a big family?”

“Quite big, considering that all my family members lived their. Including my grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and so on. Just from my mom’s side though. But my mom had about ten brothers alone.” CL answered.

“I can imagine that you own very powerful sorcery to have had so much magic transferred over to a newborn that you were.”

“Yes. It is very powerful to a point that if I’m not able to control it properly, I will bring calamity. Which is why I took on martial arts and stayed away from using too much magic.”

“I understand now.” Watanuki nodded. But then another question raised to mind. “How’d you end up in Japan then? If you lived in a small village where there were forests nearby, you must’ve come from a very olden time period.” he pointed out.

“Yes. About that, by the age of nine, I was into a mysterious wormhole which brought me into different places that I didn’t know existed. Thankfully, my mom had passed down the gift of adaptability to me, so being able to acquire different tongues was quite easy. Eventually, I was able to sense where and when the next wormhole would open so that I can continue travelling to different dimensions and time while running away until I’m ready to fight back.” CL responded.

“I see. Explains why you’re able to speak Japanese when you have come from Korea.” Watanuki smiled in realization. “I think I know why you’re here now.”

“You do?!” CL exclaimed.

“Hold that thought.” Watanuki snapped.

“We have another customer don’t we?” CL figured.

“Precisely. CL, would you please-”

“Go prepare the tea. Got it.” CL replied. Watanuki giggled at her quick thinking and together, they made their way, one in the kitchen and the other in the dining room.

“Welcome!” Maru and Moro cheered in sync.

“Hello.” a man replied awkwardly.

“Master Watanuki!” Maru called.

“You have another customer!” Moro continue. The two of them grabbed the man by his sleeves and led him into the dining area where Watanuki was waiting patiently.

“I heard that you can grant wishes.” the man started as the two girls helped him to his seat. “Thank you.” he whispered to them. They smiled at him as a response then left them alone. Soon after, CL walked in with a tray of tea and some nicely cut pound cake, setting them in front of them both along with forks and spoons. The man nodded at CL in thanks and with a smile, CL leaned against a wall behind Watanuki and waited for the conversation to begin.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter