Bubbles

Happy Together

Sunday morning at Lee’s house, Lee Umma was in the kitchen, tying her hair into loose ponytail, before wear her dishwashing gloves. Preparing to wash the dishes they use for breakfast earlier when she catch her older son from her peripheral sight. Sungmin was dragging a little stool, placed it in front of the counter beside the sink, and climb so he can see the top of the counter.

“Umma~”

“Hmm?” Lee Umma answered as she piled the dishes beside the sink.

“What are you doing?”

“Washing dishes.”

“Why?” Sungmin eyeing his mother innocently.

“So we can use it later for lunch.” She put a little dishwashing soap to the bowl and add a little water.

“What is that?” The boy leaned his elbows on the counter, and put his chin on his palms.

“Soap to wash the plates.” She answered patiently. Lately Sungmin always make a questions about almost everything.

“Why add water?”

“So we can do this,” Lee Umma dipped her sponge on the soap water and squeeze it several times, make a bubble formed around the sponge and coating her hand.

“Woow!” Sungmin exclaimed, mouth gaped open, and his eyes wide with fascination. “It’s bubbling.”

His mother laughing softly at his reaction. Sungmin was at the age when he fascinated and amazed at every little things around him. It was cute, except when his curiosity kicks out make him questioning everything nonstop. His questions earlier? That just a small example.

 “Min?”

“Ung?” He acknowledge her call, but his eyes locked on the bubbles.

“Appa and Sungjin waiting for you to take a bath.” She reminded her son.

“Aaah! Coming…” Sungmin jumped down from the little stool and run away.

“What we said about running inside Sungmin?” She reprimanded before he could reach the door.

Sungmin stopped, turn around and shot her with his puppy look. “Sorry Umma.”

Of course she would always forgive him with that kind of looks. “Okay. Just don’t do~” Sungmin run outside as soon as he heard the ‘okay’, make her sighed and shake her head at his son antics.

 

~~~***~~~

 

“Appa!!” Sungmin barged into the bathroom. The bathtub was already filled with shallow water, just reached Sungjin’s waist whilst he sat, splashed the water around. Their father was sat on the little stool beside the tub, watching his younger son playing around.

“You are late, Min.” His father grinned as he watching Sungmin struggling to tug his shirt off. The shirt was stuck, couldn’t passed Sungmin’s head make Sungjin giggling at his hyung squirmed around. After a while, finally Lee appa took a pity and helped Sungmin to pulled his shirt off revealing his older son pouting face.

“A big boy don’t pout. They learned to took their shirt off properly.” Lee appa teased as he lifted Sungmin and put him on the tub with Sungjin. Soon, the pout was replaced by a wide grin as the siblings busy playing and splashing water at each other. This is the usual activity whenever Lee appa has his day off. He would bathe his sons as have a bonding time with them.

“Enough playing boys.” He said as he drained the tub, “Time for real bath now.” He took a loofah and put soap on it before turned to his sons. “Who want to get scrubbed first?” Sungjin giggling again and pushed his brother forward, at such a young age, he was always happy to see whatever Sungmin did and then try to copying him after.

Lee appa squeezed the loofah to make it produce more bubble, “Appa, it’s bubbling…” Sungmin said.

“Bubb-ing…” Sungjin try to copying his brother.

Their father laughed at the siblings cuteness as he lifted Sungmin off from the tub. “If you put soap on this, and squeeze it, it will make a bubble.” He squeezed some more to show Sungmin how it’s work.

“How?” Here come the question again.

“Ow…” And here the echo from the younger brother.

“I think because it’s fluffy and soft, so it makes the soap produce more bubble?” Lee appa tried to explaining although he didn’t really sure about it either.

Sungmin nodded, accepting those simple explanation, and think his father surely was smart because he know everything.

 

~~~***~~~

 

Kyuhyun was sat on the swing in the park, lazily playing by himself. Usually his hyungs would be in the park for their daily play date, but apparently not today. When he started to considering move to the slide and entertaining himself for the mean time, he saw Hyukjae and Donghae arrived. Donghae was walking carefully, bring a plastic cup in one hand and something like looped wire in the other. While Hyukjae was trying to peek on Hae’s cup.

“What is that, Hyung?” The maknae asked when they were closer.

“We can make bubble with this.” Donghae shoved the cup and the wire in front of Kyuhyun’s face. “Donghwa Hyung taught me.” He added proudly.

“How?” Hyukjae and Kyuhyun said at the same time.

Donghae just grinned as he dipped the wire inside the cup, and blow it. Small bubbles formed from the wire’s loop and the wind blows make it float around them.

“Woaaaah…” Hyukjae’s mouth was gaped open, his eyes wide. Amazed with the bubbles.

“Great, right?” Doghae grinned proudly.

Kyuhyun jumped around, trying to pop the bubbles and shouting, “Again… Again…”

The boys were playing for some times when Sungmin finally showed up. Kyuhyun ran to him, grab his hand and practically dragged him to the other boys. “Hyung, look... Look…” He said while shake Sungmin’s hand, “Hae Hyung, blow…”

Donghae blew gently to the wire, make a big bubble formed at it’s tip before it come off and flown by the wind. He grinned widely when Sungmin’s eyes became as big as a saucer, astonished.

Hyukjae snatched the wire from Donghae and grinned at his bestfriend, “And if we blows stronger, we can make many bubbles at once.” He then show it to the shorter boy, make his eyes even more rounder if it was possible.

“How?” The cute boy asked his friends, still looking at disappearing bubbles.

“Donghwa Hyung taught me,” Donghae stated proudly before he show how his new toys work, “You just dipped this wire here and blow.”

“What is that?” Sungmin peeked to the cup.

Donghae frowned, trying to remember what his brother taught him, “I think Hyung said this is soap water.”

“Soap?” Sungmin remembers what happened this morning. He looked around and see Kyuhyun’s messy hair. He grinned widely before he looked at his friends, “I also can make a bubbles. The one soft and white like appa used when we bathing.”

“You can?” Hyukjae asked, somehow sounds skeptical.

Kyuhyun looked at his hyung with unhindered admiration in his eyes. “Hmm..” Sungmin nodded smugly and took the cup from Donghae. However, when Hae hand over his wire to Sungmin, he rejected, “I don’t need that.”

With almost a mischievous smile, he turn to Kyuhyun and beckoning the maknae to come closer. When Kyuhyun was within his reach, he unexpected for the other, pouring the soap water to Kyuhyun head. Hyukjae and Donghae shouted at the same time, “Hyung!!”

Kyuhyun was just frozen, he couldn’t move at all for a moment before his lips quivering and his eyes got teary. All this went unnoticed by Sungmin since he just smiled sweetly, “Now we just need to squeeze it few times.”

He frowned when he squeezing and ruffling Kyuhyun’s hair again and again but no bubbles formed. The soap water just make the maknae’s hair stiff and sticky. “Why it does-“

“Huaaa… Umma…” Sungmin never got to finish his sentence because Kyuhyun swatted his hands and running away. Crying out loud and and calling for his mother, make his eyes widened in fear of making Kyuhyun cry. Again. Then he felt he want to cry himself, so he just squatting and started sobbing.

Hyukjae and Donghae looked at each other, silently discussed what to do next. In the end, they escorted the oldest to his home, and explaining what happened to panicking Lee umma. Of course, who wouldn’t got panic when their son who went playing happily goes home crying like his favorite puppy was died.

Soon, the panic subsided when Hyukjae explained what happen to Sungmin. “Hyung throw the soap to Kyuhyun, Kyu crying, Hyung crying.”

Although Hyukjae just saying that much, she got the outline of what his son did. She said exasperatedly, “Lee Sungmin! What-“

Yet again, before she could finish his sentence, he was cut off by Sungjin exclaimed, “Yuuung~” running for his brother embrace, and then crying loudly while clinging to Sungmin. Apparently the younger was following his mom, and saw Sungmin sobbing. For such a little boy who idolized his brother and saw his brother sobbing like that of course he have to also crying for his hyung.

She need some times before calming his sons down, got the full story, and the explanation why Sungmin did that. “Appa told me if we have something soft and fluffy and put soap and squeeze, it will bubbling.” Sungmin explained after he calmed down, still hiccupping lightly. That enough to make Lee appa receive a nasty glare from his wife. “Hyukjae-ah, Donghae-ah, let’s get some cookies for you.” He almost dragged the boys to the kitchen in sake of avoiding Lee umma’s wrath.

“Okay, now you go with me to Kyuhyun’s house and apologize to him.” Sungmin looked at his mother like kicked puppy when he heard that.

“Umma… But that’s appa fault for lying to me…” He whining pitifully. Lee umma thought her son surely know how to manipulate people.

“But you are the one who made Kyuhyun crying.” She said, make Sungmin bowed his head guiltily. She picked Sungjin up, who was still clinging to his brother, and give him to her husband before went to the Cho house with Sungmin.

 

~~~***~~~

 

Cho umma looking at her son. Kyuhyun was in his emo mode again after went home crying with his hair wet and sticky. He didn’t want to told her or Ahra what happened in the park that make him crying. Again. Maybe they should just wait for Cho appa to arrived and coaxed things out from their son. He actually quite good at that, but some times she worried for his heart health when Kyuhyun said something unpredictable.

Before she could decided what to do though, someone knocked at their door. She opened the door just to find Lee umma with Sungmin, complete with his tears stricken face. “Ah, Cho umma, Sungmin here to apologize, he was make Kyuhyun cry.” She said before added softly so Sungmin couldn’t hear her, “Please scold him.”

Cho umma lifted his eyebrows questioningly, but then her tone soft and motherly when she looks at the boy hiccupping “Oh, what happened?”

Lee umma couldn’t help but rolled her eyes. One more an innocent falling for his son’s trap. She whispered at Cho umma, “No… No… No… Scold him…”

She was confused why Lee umma want her to scold Sungmin whilst the boy looked sad and broken. But she decided to playing along. She cleared he throat before reprimanded the boy, with stern tone, “What are you doing Sungmin ah?” The boy looked at him with big teary eyes, his lips quivering. Cho umma almost gave up and coaxed Sungmin to stop crying when she catch Lee umma nodded vehemently while gave her thumbs up behind her son.

“Why you make Kyuhyun crying?” She tried again, just to see big fat tears rolled from Sungmin’s eyes before he started sobbing again.

She looked at Lee umma for what to do next when small hands shoved her, and the next thing she know Kyuhyun was in front of Sungmin, shielding him from her as if she will hurt the boy. “Umma!! What are you doing?” Kyuhyun frowned at her. “You make Sungmin Hyung cry.”

Kyuhyun grabbed his hyung’s hand and lead him inside, throwing accusation glare at his mother. “It’s okay Hyung… Don’t cry… I know umma is rude… I got you… It’s okay…”

Cho umma looking at her son astonished while Lee umma facepalming herself. When Cho umma turned to her again, she bowed, “Sorry for that. I actually hope you can scold him and make him learn that he did something wrong.”

“Errr… It’s okay… I think…” Cho umma invited her inside before asking what actually happened.

Lee umma explained to her, and sighed when she saw Kyuhyun and Sungmin already playing together happily. “He is spoiled, too spoiled.”

Cho umma chuckled, and pouring more tea to her new friend’s cup. “It’s okay, child deserved to be spoiled. They will get over it eventually.”

“I don’t think that will be the case with Sungmin.” Lee umma said, “Look at him, I couldn’t scold him at home because his brother will immediately took his side and sulking to me.” She shrugged and sip her tea, “And now Kyuhyun who is the maknae also spoiled him like he is the baby.”

Cho umma laughing at that. “Sungmin looks younger than Kyuhyun though,”

 

~~~***~~~

 

Before they went home, Lee umma still insisted for Sungmin to apologize to the Chos. “Kyu, I’m sorry.” He said while pouting.

“It’s okay hyung, I just need to wash my hair.” Kyuhyun patted Sungmin’s head make Lee umma rolled his eyes, and Cho umma secretly giggling at the boys.

“Ommonim, I’m sorry…” Sungmin then bowed to Cho Umma, who immediately pasted a stern expression.

“Don’t make Kyu cry again, Sungmin-ah, he is your dong-“

“Umma!! Don’t bully Sungmin Hyung, you will make him cry again!” Kyuhyun shouting beside her, and turned to his hyung, and smile comfortingly, “It’s okay hyung, of course umma forgive you.”

Lee umma gaped at the scene in front of her, while Cho umma grinned widely because now he have nw weapon how to tease his usually cold and stoic son.

~~~***~~~