Extinguishing flames

Candle

"Aching all over his body, he tried to pull himself out of bed at the entrance of the owner. 

"lie down. I'm just coming in to check on you...here's your medicine and breakfast," Yuto delivered all of these himself instead of leaving it to the maidens. his mansion was just as big as Yamada's but the stark difference is the warmth that transcended. The Nakajima is a much more hospitable bunch that the ever scheming Yamada. Ryosuke always counted himself lucky to have a friend like Yuto, but he makes a point to restrain himself from taking advantage of him or bother him too much that he becomes a nuisance. 

Their more humane business strategies owe greatly to the fact that the Nakajima Holdings are not driven by profits. in fact, this is because the Nakajima Holdings is a government-linked company, providing regulation of supplies coming in and out of Japan, hence Yamada Enterprise comes under the purview of the Nakajima. However, the Nakajima has always detested the working styles of the Yamada's and has frequently clashed with them on numerous business dealings. The Nakajima has always been close on its toes on Yamada, hoping to discover loopholes in their business tactics but it never succeeded.

On the other hand, the Nakajima Residences have always been very kind to Ryosuke, partly because they saw him as a sincere friend of their only son,Yuto. they too sympathize with the boy, but they were careful not to show it on their faces in case it hurts his dignity.

"thank you Yuto. but I've been bothering you for too many days. I feel really apologetic," Ryosuke coughed as he said, with his head throbbing hard despite days of recuperation from the high fever.

"you're not imposing on me in any way.besides, my parents also instructed me to make sure you're well before you leave our mansion. back at your place, it's not ideal for recuperation. so unless you recover, I'll not let you go"

"I really don't know how to thank you more, Yuto."

"thank me by staying strong. it's a long road ahead for you," he sat by his bedside and helped him sit up as they chat.

"I'm really useless. I can't even take care of myself, what am I thinking about taking care of her. they're right about me. she's better off with him," he said with deep sighs through his pale lips. His face has sunken in so much that his chubby cheeks have now turned slim.

"you're not useless so don't say that about yourself. but yes, you need to take care of yourself and be strong... by the way, the Yamamoto and Yamada enterprises are officially merged today and the former is transferred under the name of Yuma. Yamamoto Yu and all of his family are taken off from the company registrar, and is probably performing some regular manager positions."

"and the authorities?" his face was full of seriousness when he probed further.

"from what i gathered, it seemed they stopped investigating on them."

"that's great. at least she and her family are safe, then it's all not for nothing," he gave a sigh of relief but his expression still revealed a faint hint of sorrows. even the smile on his face was pretentious and Yuto could tell it immediately, but he let his lie off with a reciprocal smile.

Ryosuke was actually glad he fell sick in the right period since he rather not have to face Maika during her initial days of married life. he will definitely suffocate in the extended household, though selfish, he felt he needed to find a temporal shelter to breathe. but it's not for long when the message came.

"From: Yumi

Come home tonight for dinner."

"what is it?" Yuto asked when he realised a deep sigh followed by a frown. 

as he pulled himself out of bed and started packing up, he answered, "I'll have to head back tonight. they're having a family dinner"

"they never included you before. it's obvious they're trying to torture you and test your endurance. you don't have to go," Yuto grumbled with annoyance.

"you are probably right. but I still have to, Yuto. I can't keep running away too, isn't it."

"you wanted to check in on her, right? you are still thinking for her."

Ryosuke ignored his question but he knew what Yuto said was true. he did want to know how's she doing and hoped she's dealing with the change better than he is.

"Ryosuke, just remember things are different now. she's a married woman. she's your sister-in-law. it's irreversible now. don't jeopardize your reputation further by scandals. you know what I mean..." Yuto sternly reminded.

Ryosuke hates it when Yuto is right. he's so right, he felt so ashamed to be thinking the way he highlighted. He hid his expression from him, especially avoided the tall ones' gaze.

"Ryosuke~..." he called out for his attention and without other choices, he nodded before heading out.

"Ryosuke, remember to call me if you need any help! we can go out for dinner regularly too!" Yuto hollered to him as Ryosuke departed from the entrance of the Nakajima Mansion.

"will do so! thank you Yuto! you're the best." he said in utmost gratitude and sincerity, and it's probably the happiest smile he has given in the whole week. he thought perhaps it's all these short bursts of happiness that keeps him going and not forgetting the fact that there's always someone who is rooting for him unconditionally even if the whole world doesn't understand. 

His way home was unusually  lonely and every street he turned into, he could almost vividly recall the very interactions he had with Maika. the same road that they walked, played and chatted on, didnt seem the same anymore. although the walk was hard to endure but he found himself dreading his home much more, with his feet deliberately slowing down and even dragging at times. He wasn't prepared to face her, as his mind was stuck with the memory of her dreadful cries of hatred for his inaction to take her away. on the one hand, he was afraid to see her in an unhappy marriage, on the other hand, he was afraid to find out that he's the only one who didnt move on.

Such conflict of the mind worsened at the point where he reached for the door knob and wrenched open the door, peering into the interior in hopes to see an empty house. 

He heaved a sigh of relief as he saw no one in a quick glimpse of the interiors. He casually entered the mansion, and walked through the living room and the dining room to get to the stairs to the basement. but before he could reach for the steps, he froze at the dining table. He saw the familiar backview of a girl, so tired that she slammed on the dining table with her head leaning on her folded arms. In fact she seemed so tired that she didnt even realise someone has entered the mansion and is looking right at her, in an arms length. His eyes shifted to a bottle of white pills on the dining table which belonged to hers and felt uneasy in that same instance.

Yamamoto Maika
For Asthma
To be consumed twice a day, when experiencing difficult breathing.

He kept the bottle on his hand, completely dazed. Then like a kind brother, he bend closer to her and was about to pull his own sweater over her. It startled her, and when she noticed he was right by her side, looking at her with concerned eyes, they became awkward. 

Breaking the silence, he asked, "is it a relapse? you didn't need the the medicine for a long time, isn't it?"

she looked at him initially with eyes warm with tears as though she found the comfort she was searching so desperately for the past few days. He could almost see that she has many grievances she wants to tell him and when he was prepared to lend her his shoulder to cry on, she shrugged it away "I'm okay. thank you for your concern." she took away the bottle of medicine and head off back to her room. he helplessly watched her from behind, and noticed she was staggering as if her body was aching so much she couldn't move properly. she can't be alright but her ignorance was a clear signal to him that she doesn't want him to interfere in her matters. in fact, he was prepared for her not to forgive him so soon. he knew it wouldn't be easy, but he never expected it to be so hard when she pushed him away. he knew he deserved it since he did it to her in the first place. 

"... ah so you're here today," a cold voice interrupted his thoughts from behind. he turned around and saw Yuma with a snobbish look.

"Mum asked me to come home," he replied, and in return he saw him smirked. he clenched his fist and held it all in, but there was something he couldn't keep the silence.

"Maika is not well, is she? she looks like she's in pain and I think her asthma came back."

He was startled by Yuma's erratic reaction where he started laughing sarcastically "she's definitely in pain after spending every night with me...after all it's never easy for a . she'll get use to it soon, maybe after tonight~"

"y-you! don't hurt her you bastard!" Ryosuke held onto Yuma's collar and confronted him. 

"hey! guess what, I'm her husband and I have the rights over her! and you don't fret over her health, it's none of your business. I'll take care of her!" he punched Ryosuke so hard that he fell on the ground, with his cheeks bruised almost instantly. 

"ah... Ryosuke~ what happened?!" Maika heard the commotion and was intuitively dashing towards the injured one. Yuma, however, grabbed her tight and held her back.

"he fell... isn't it, Ryosuke? you're really careless," Yuma helped him up with his free hand and gave him a obnoxious face. Maika knew it was a lie and both their eyes met for a brief moment before she consciously shifted it away, afraid of exposing her wavering heart.

"oh all of you are home already." it was just about time to kill the awkward air when Kyoshi walked in with Yumi clinging on to her. 

"why are we all standing here like a statue. Maika! go help with setting up dinner, won't you?!" Yumi nagged conveniently as though it had become a norm. He don't understand what sounded like a drastic change of treatment since the wedding bells were rung but it slowly unravel itself.

"Mum, why did you ask him to come?. he really ruins appetite" Yuma said aloud when they settled around the table. Ryosuke heard Yumi's whispering, though he couldn't hear her, he could guess what Yuto has already pointed out - to torment him.

Ryosuke took a quick peek in the kitchen where there was Yumi's assigned maiden already there. he was appalled by what he saw. he knew Maika was always clumsy in the kitchen and she never got the chance to cook in the past since her mum is a great cook herself. the maiden deliberately knock into her several times and he could see her in pain when she gave a jerk at her waist. the tyrant instead was the one who grumbled when Maika let out a gasp "you can't even do anything right. useless." the maiden pushed her harshly once more and made her way out with a tray of dishes.

Maika lost her footing in that push and Fortunately, he rushed in and caught her from the back. it was like a static rush for the 2 of them when his arms circled her waist and her back leaned against his chest. Realising it was him, she conflicted with herself then quickly pushed herself away from his arms.

"arigatou," she hid her blush then from his questioning eyes.

"why did she treat you like this? it wasn't like this before."

She turned her back against him, and faced the sink, heaving an obvious sigh.

"there's alot of things that changed, Ryosuke. i have changed too... except you" she pushed him aside and walked out of the kitchen. Her fingers clutched the sides of her dress to ease the throbbing pain in her heart as she ostracized him by her action, something that the whole world was already subjecting him to just because he was an illegitimate son. she has always told him that she would always be by his side even if the whole world goes against him but she couldn't disregard the fact that he let go off his hands when she needed to be rescued from the arranged marriage. 

Right after she sat on the seat beside Yuma, Ryosuke came out of the kitchen with a more obvious slouch. She struggled with her apologetic feel cause she felt he deserved worst. she hardened her heart and neglected his gaze but she didnt no how long she can keep up the cold treatment. he is like a black hole, constantly you right in with his admirable attitude of perseverance and the ability to not hate anyone despite the hatred received from the world. sometimes when she looked at how disinterested he appeared to be about the world, she hoped she could be as strong like him

"Maika, you should eat more. when you are healthier, pregnancy will be faster. I heard you and Yuma are already working hard on it..." Yumi said so suddenly that Maika almost choked at her words. 

"okasan, she'll be shy you know..."

"it's nothing to be shy about. all of us know it's part and parcel of marriage life, except... whoops. sorry I forgot you're still here, Ryosuke" Yumi uttered deliberately to ridicule the silent one. Maika avoided looking at him once again but didnt succeed this time. as she took a quick glance at him, he saw a sunken expression. 
Yuma noticed Maika's concerned gaze at Ryosuke and felt inherently unhappy. he didnt fail to seize the opportunity to torment the younger one so he said "you would love to see your nephew or niece soon wouldn't you, Otoutou?"

He clenched his fist beneath the table but revealed only a subtle smile at the dining table as he replied after a pause "...of course, I'm looking forward to it. ... again, let me congratulate you two for a blissful marriage." he saw the dejected expression from her face and knew his well wishes didnt resonate with her. he didnt want to speculate if she's doing well this far as a Yamada but her message earlier was clearly meant for him to know he has lost all rights to show care or concern to her. A clean break from all prior relationship they thought they have, seemed to be the way she chose to approach and he has no choice but to abide since he was first who turned his back against her. Acceding to this, he thought he should excuse himself from ruining appetites. after all he has lost his own appetite, whatever he ate was tasteless and hurtful.  "I'm done with dinner. I'll excuse myself now, minna-san" Ryosuke took a step back with his half eaten bowl of rice and an almost untouched empty plate meant for dishing. He quickly retreated to the kitchen, knowing he cannot handle the frustration any much longer. although he did not look at her, he could feel her looking at him as he left the table. the tormenting session for him ended on the surface with his absence.

"Dear, just let me do it..." a old granny sneaked by behind Ryosuke while he was washing his dishes.

her frail hands placed upon his shoulders, and instantly a surge of warmth rushed through his veins and a smile naturally crept up, "... nanny, It's okay I can do it myself. it shouldn't be your job to serve me"

"nonsense. I am here to serve your family."

"not me. really, I'm okay nanny. I don't want anyone to serve me"

"that's the baby I know," she said as she pat his back lightly and it did much to console his battered heart. he chuckled lightly at her remarks and replied, "I'm always the baby you know, nanny" was it a good thing he thought to himself as he remembered how Maika said everyone has changed except him. he masked his thoughts and smiled in return, but that did not escape the eyes of the nanny who unconditional cared for him since his birth.

"you didnt finish your food and your brows are heavily knitted..." she traced his fingers along his brows and attempted to untangle them. "if there's anything troubling you, you know I'm always here to listen"

"I'm..." before Ryosuke could tell her that he's fine, she preempted his lies. "shhh..." she said "it's okay, I know what you're thinking even if you don't say it. you always keep things to yourself, no one knows you better than me"

He lowered his head to avert her gaze but when he found comfort in her understanding. he then daringly made a request "nanny... could you help me..."

"to take care of her...?" she guessed and he knew perfectly she would be spot on. He nodded with a pair of guilt-stricken eyes. "I only hope for her happiness"

"yes you do. she'll understand that..." she answered but she could tell from his condescending smile that he wasn't convinced at the possibility of her statement. 

"let me handle your dishes, okay. you need a good rest. the medicine for your bruise, you know where to grab it right?"

"yes. and thanks so much, nanny... for everything" he gave her a firm hug, instead he found solace in her arms. 

Dragging his feet to the common shower room instead of a private one which he wasn't entitled to, he took off his top and traced the bruises on his shoulders, his ribs and his chest in front of the mirror. He shut his eyes as he tried to calm himself down and dissipate the vengeance growing within him. He stepped into the shower and let the cold water run down his flesh, washing through the dried blood and bracing the stinging pain that followed. the water rained upon his face, hiding his tears that guised itself with the other droplets. it helped drain his mind off the negative thoughts and the chilling water numbed his pain both physically and mentally. He reluctantly shut off the tap and stepped out of the shower to dry his wet body. Draped in his black tank top and a long pants, he exited the shower room with a towel still above his head, drying his hair as he walked towards his room. But when he saw the half-opened door of his room, he hid behind a pillar to uncover the intruder. From an angle, he could see a familiar backview of a girl leaving on his table a tray with a bowl, a cup of water and a small tube of what seemed like medication. As the intruder rushed out of his room suspiciously, he resumed towards his room. he stopped right outside, with his eyes following the disappearing view of the girl and uttering her name silently in his heart "Maika..."

As he predicted, she has placed a bowl of cha soba and medication for his bruises. he was immensely touched, so much so that his tears trickled down while he consumed every bit of the average tasting noodles she prepared. 

****
Right above Ryosuke's small room, was the room for the newly weds, almost three times the size of Ryosuke's. As Maika returned to the room, she was surprised to see Yuma sitting at the edge of their bed, facing sternly at the door.

"Yuma... I thought you're going to bathe. if you're not, I'll go ahead first," she said without a clue about what's she is in for.

"... Where were you just now?" he said coldly and in an intimidating voice.

"... I was..." she stuttered.

"... shhh..." he came closer to her and grabbed her by her shoulders firmly. "you were in Ryosuke's room, isn't it..."

"I ... I am just sending him some food" she was frightened by his piercing gaze but when she tried to avert it, he gripped her by her chin so she couldn't tilt her head away.

"... and medication... so you are angry that I hurt him" 

"... you guys just shouldn't fight."

"ah you pity him... I'm going to tell you once and for all, Maika~" she looked at him in full attention, afraid that if she dared disobey, bad things will befall on her.

"I don't like it when you come in contact with him. now that you're my wife, you do exactly I say. The Yamada Residence has never accepted him as part of us. if we could, we have thrown him out. So I need you to internalize this information, and treat him like we do. like trash if you need a reference point. therefore, there should be at no point you two talk with each other without my presence, or care for each other."

Maika couldn't remain silent and agreed on whatever he instructed, cause that was the most cruel thing she was ever made to do. she thought she hated Ryosuke after how he refused to help her escape the marriage she never wanted, but it was with Yuma's heartless instructions that she knew she can never hate Ryosuke.
"he's still my friend, Yuma. you can't dictate my life like this! you weren't like this before... you've changed" 

"then I suggest you get used to the new me. You will realise how much better I am as compared to that Ryosuke who didn't even give you a second look when you needed help. don't be a fool trying to get his attention, cause he doesn't deserve your love and he doesn't care about you either!"

Maika released herself from his grip and wanted to walk out on his unreasonable commands and fierce assertions, but she only realised that has given rise to a new monster and the start of her horrors. He pulled her back forcefully and flung her onto the bed.

"ah..." she gasped and tried to get up, but instead he pow on her and sat on top of her, making it impossible for her to wriggle her way out. While she tried to struggle out, the infuriated husband raised his hand and gave her a tight slap that instantly left her cheeks red. it wasn't just once, but twice on either side of her face. She tried to scream for help but was beginning to feel slight concussion from the forceful impacts on her face. furthermore, Yuma took out his handkerchief and gagged so that she couldn't make any attempts to alert anyone. with his body still pressing on top of her, he bonded her hands and feet on 4 sides of the bed. once secured with her body wide spread in a scene, he took out his belt and straightened it.

"this will teach you a lesson. never to talk back to me, or walk out on me. most importantly, to stop all contact with Ryosuke. he disgusts me, and so does your sympathy and friendship with him disgusts me too." 

She shook her head profusely, pleading in motion to stop the grotesque punishment but even the tears she shed never seem to change his mind. The belt swing in a single force, breaking her skin as it lands. anything that stands in its way, was ripped apart. her clothes tear, exposing more flesh for the endless whipping. bruises formed, skin tears, blood oozed out. Her hands gripped frantically at the bedsheets to distract her from the pain but every lash made her cringe in pain and fear. She screamed in suppression by her gagged mouth, and cried until there wasnt any tears left. by the end of the merciless session, she was left in a petrified state and slight seizures. 

"I've done alot for you, Maika. I really do love you and believe me, it hurts to do this to you. I hope you forgive me because all I'm doing is for you to learn or you'll infuriate more people who'll make your life more miserable" he removed the handkerchief binding and then begin to take her on ually. This time she has no longer any energy to resist, and she has grown used to this pain that has become a routine for the past nights. She closed her eyes and let hell torture her. she constantly called out to Ryosuke in her mind and heart,hoping they would somewhat be telepathic but it was too far from reality. All Ryosuke heard was the intense rocking of the bed from up above his celling and that alone was an indication to him about their intimate activity in their room. He covered himself beneath his blanket and pressed the pillow against his ears to avoid the tormenting noises that were like arrows piercing through his heart. 

****
The entire night was insomnia for him. with heavy eyebags, he rushed out of the mansion as soon as the sun rises to avoid having to face her. The following days were the same. He succeeded in not having to see her or face her, in fact anyone in the Yamada Family. 

In the day, Ryosuke would tirelessly worked himself to death such that he would not have the time or energy to think about what he heard that night, the real testament of a wedded couple. He volunteered for every single task requiring hard labour, filling in for absent employees, everyday starting work earliest and leaving the latest, all so that he wouldn't have to face all of them, especially her. and in the night, he would either dine alone or with Yuto when the latter made the initiative. He didnt want to bother his friend everyday, but he was fearful of loneliness than anyone. cause whenever he is alone, his mind will become flooded with negative thoughts about meaningless imagination of an alternative ending.

Standing in the scorching sun, he was soaked by his own sweat that trickled down the sides of his face. As usual, his white tee was stained with spots all over, and his face too. A labourer's work is never a glam or clean one, so he was always reminded of how he could absolutely not give her a better life than what she is having now. A cruel ascertaining was all he needs to move on.

"Hey son" an old labourer called out to him as he he tried to lift a heavy sack of products on his shoulder.

"hai ojisan, nani?" he asked as he put the sack down and attended to the old man.

"guess today is the board meeting. they probably mention some arrangements with Yamamoto Enterprise. They actually asked for a representative from the logistics side. I am not very well-dressed for this circumstance. I dont want to humilate our team"

"how can they only choose to involve our department at the last minute, ojisan."

"they looked down on us, that's a fact. Always looking for chance to put us down. With a whole board of well-dressed folks, we will really ruin the entire imagery. But Ryosuke, you can pull it off well and you are always have the charismatic leadership to lead our people."

"ojisan, I'm not awesome, so please dont see me that way. If there's anything you saw in me, it's feigned. you're the head of this department, so you have to go and represent us. There's nothing to be fearful about, especially when they treat us as air. We just have to thicken our skin and face those challenges. and ojisan, I have a spare set of clothes in my locker. Take a shower and wear my clothes. It should do."

"Ryosuke~" the old man clutched his arms with eyes full of gratitude.

"it'll be fine. go on, or you'll be too late," he gave a smile, and the old man accepted his goodwill and turned towards the locker. But something caught his attention and he thought Ryosuke would be interested.

"isn't that Yamamoto Maika... ah I mean Yamada Maika... She doesn't look too good" the old man said to Ryosuke. Ryosuke turned to the direction he indicated and indeed saw Maika, slouching slightly as Yuma's secretary took something from her hands. Donned in a long sleeve blouse and a long skirt, it didnt seem like a wise choice in the summer, but what he is most concerned was how she was panting so profusely he was afraid she will suffer a relapse. He wanted to go up to her to check on her, but he held back as he remembered how he just isn't in the position to care for her when her husband is here. He remembered what Yuto said and thought he should keep a distance so people wouldnt gossip about them and add to her burden.

"ojisan, please help me keep an eye on her... I'll go get Yuma.," he told the old man urgently and rushed towards the interior of the building without bothering about his current image that would not blend in to the interior of the magnificent office building. All eyes were on him when he rushed through to the upper floors, and there he saw exactly who he was looking for.

"Yuma!" he hollered.

"why are you here?! dont stain our funitures with you filth" Yuma harshly criticised, but Ryosuke shrugged it all away as there was something else more important.

"you've got Maika to help you deliver something to the office right? I saw her downstairs and she doesn't look well.it's probably a relapse of her asthma. Can you go check on her."

"oh please, don't overexaggerate things! i have no time to hear your imaginative stories. Maika is a healthy girl so she can take care of herself. Furthermore, I'm having a meeting soon"

"dont you even know she has asthma all this while?! you were her playmate since young as well, and thats a condition that affected her so much during her childhood, how can you forget. Now that you're her husband, you should at least go and check her out when I say she don't look well!"

Yuma was alittle taken aback when Ryosuke raised his voice and his fist. It was only then the older one remembered what happened in the past of her condition, but still it was too humilating to accede to the younger's ones request so he decided to act oblivious to the situation.

"Listen~" he grabbed Ryosuke's sleeves and pushed him back against the wall, giving him a stern warning "don't act like you know everything. She's my wife so I know her more than you...and I have seen every part of her which you havent. When I say she's well, she's well. I don't need you to tell me what to do. Get lost and do those filthy tasks while i take on the important ones, useless brat!"

Ryosuke clenched his fist tightly as Yuma walked away as if nothing has happened. He irked the way he disregarded her health and how dangerous it could be if all he speculated was true. Fear crept through his veins as he reminded how she panted and slouched, and without hesitating any further, he rushed to the ground floor and out into the open where he last saw her.

Meanwhile, Yuma found his secretary and frantically asked, "when you saw Maika, how did she look?"

"Yuma-san..."

'I'm asking you a question!"

"she.. she looked very pale, and..." she stuttered. He has gotten the indication he needed, and immediately he dashed out of the building before his secretary can finish her sentence. She sighed in relief as she escaped from the scary interrogation.

Ryosuke found the old man and asked him impatiently, "where's she, ojisan?"

"I saw her exited the gate and to the right..." he responded, and before he can say anything more, he rushed to exactly where he indicated and it didnt need much running, to finally reached where she is. He saw her crouched on the pavement beside the road and when he rushed to her, he saw her pale and frail with her hands clutched upon her chest. He bend to her level and took her by her shoulders.

"Maika... it's me Ryosuke... are you okay? is it a relapse?" he said urgently. She struggled to breathe with her fearful cries that made things alot harder. She was in such agony that he could completely comprehend it with her frantic replies "R-Ryosuke... I... I can't breathe..." Her knees felt faint, and she fell on his body, with his arms firmly holding her so she wouldn't fall onto the rough ground.

"where's your medicine? did you bring them?" he asked as he tried to loosen her collar. he saw a light bruise by her neck and bitterly ascertain it as a love bite. He gently brushed off the cold sweat that trickled down the sides of her face and her neck. In response, she shook her head to tell him that she did not have the medicine or inhaler with her. He felt frustrated at her forgetfulness, but could only suppress it and deal with the problem on hand.

"okay... listen... breathe in and out slowly... follow me cue. You can do it, ne, Maika...we did it before without the inhaler, remember" he recalled the one time she had a relapse when she was younger and he guided her to breathe properly and they circumvented the asthmatic attack. She nodded and followed his cue. First breathe, second breathe, third.. it didn't seem to help this time. Her breathing became more hasty and her chest seemed tighter than before. 

"R-Ryosuke...d-don't leave me...i.. i'm scared" she struggled to speak as she choked on her tears. At the point, he couldnt think of anything else but to speak his heart. He replied with certainty "i'm not leaving... i'm right here." he wrapped her closer to him as he tried to cushion that mutual heartache and feel her rapid heartbeat

Right as he said that, a heavy pull brought them apart and crashed him against the concrete wall. "Maika!" he blurted out. When he reconciled what has happened, he realised it was her rightful husband claiming back his position as her custodian. 

He rushed towards them and tried to explain to Yuma, her situation, "she had a relapse... you need to bring her to the hospital now. there's one nearby"

"I don't need you to teach me what to do!" he pushed Ryosuke to the ground, yet when he tried to carry the weakening Maika alone, he couldnt despite her lightweight. it couldnt be blamed since he never carried anyting heavier than his own bag, and everything else is usually tended for him.

"Let me help!" Ryosuke pulled himself up on his feet and rushed to his aid, only to be receive a punch right on his face.

"I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP! GET LOST!" Yuma shouted back and as he tried once again to lift her up, he dropped her, hard on the ground.

"MAIKA!" Ryosuke shouted as he saw her gasped in pain with the impact of the fall. Then he saw her mouthed her plea for help before she lost all consciousness. He frozed at the realisation of his own helplessness and how Yuma was far from a caring husband he hoped she has. He began to think he was wrong about most things, and started to doubt his decisions... He mindfully saw Yuma and his chauffeur who arrived much later, carrying her into the car, going to a direction not towards the nearest hospital. He took a few steps forward as he tried to get the last glimpse of the car in regrets.

I think I was wrong...

To think you're happy with the way things are

To think you will live in happiness

Even if you're not at the moment, I thought it would be eventually

I think I was wrong

What should I do, Kamisama?

...Nothing

Cause it's the way my life is...

Nothing.

Gomenasai for not being a stronger person to save you, Maika

All I can do is to pray for your happiness and that you are in good hands of a man who just doesn't know how to express himself 

It doesn't sound bad just believing that this was the problem... 

If you allow, let me watch over you by the side... 

It's okay if you don't see me, it's really fine.

It's sufficient for me to see that you're living happily.