Awakening dreams

Candle

The weeds were not taken care off and were overcrowding the wild field which houses several forgotten deceased. Many of the stone tombs were rarely visited, except one placed at the most isolated corner. The name on the stone was poorly carved, and one can barely read it off without prior knowledge.

Ryosuke walked towards the very tomb, with a dark pair of fitting jeans and a black tanktop with a grey sweater. His hand firmly carried a bouquet of white lilies and laid it on the grass in front of the tomb of Nakamura Maiko.

Solemnly, he closed his eyes in prayers and in conveyance of the immense sadness trapped within him, seeking consolation with no one else but his only mother whom he never got to physically talk to for a long time. Tears rolled down his closed eyes as he thought about many things, especially the unraveling of the events which will formally put him on a different path, more lonely than ever.

His fist clenched to fight the tears, brushing it away manly to brace the foreseeable problems henceforth. Then a familiar weight of a hand landed on the edge of his shoulder firmly, and he wasn't surprised to see him when he turned around to acknowledge his presence.

"I knew I would be able to find you here, Ryosuke," Yuto said with a concerned tone. Yuto was the only other person Ryosuke could let his guard down and the only other person who could understand him without having to say anything. Yuto knew he needed a companion so he silently stood beside him and paid respect to the dead while waiting for Ryosuke to be ready to share. 

"is that a bruise on your lips?!" Yuto noticed a bluish black stain in the corner, and when he held his shoulders for a closer look, he noticed him cringing in silence. immediately he let go off him, realising that he was hurting him.

"did they hit you after you confronted them yesterday?!" Yuto questioned with a suppressed vengeance running through his veins. When Ryosuke shrugged away, he knew what he feared has happened.

"Damn it! they are really too much! I'm not gonna let them off!" Yuto stomped towards the exit of the graveyard but Ryosuke held him back with an agonistic face of helplessness.

"don't bother. it doesn't matter anymore. it wouldn't change anything even if you confront them..." Ryosuke was immensely discouraged by this time, as though all hopes were lost.

"so I guess it's what I found out too... the conspiracy..." Yuto consulted a few of the police inspectors he knew and scooped up a few shocking news that basically informed him of the full gravity of the situation, but he realised that Ryosyke seemed to already know of it.

"yes," Ryosuke confirmed his conjecture before Yuto could explain what he found. 

"they are really scumbags! can't believe how rotten people can be to play with others' lives... but Ryosuke, what are you going to do now? I found this on my father's desk yesterday, and thought you should better see this." he handed Ryosuke a pink envelop written to Yuto's father and when Ryosuke removed the card enclosed within it, he wasn't surprise to see a wedding invitation. he opened the card, with trembling hands and felt an immense surge of anger when he saw the names of the couple. His fingers trace the name of the bride..."Yamamoto Maika" just as a drop of tear rolled down his cheek and splashed onto the invitation. His eyes shifted to the groom's name "Yamada Yuma" in rage. immediately he shoved away his tears and crushed the card onto the ground in frustration.

"Ryosuke... I hope I can do something to help, but you know my family does not want to be involved with the Yamada Enterprise, though we have the capability to. I tried persuading my father but he hates Yamada Kyoshi so much he doesn't want to have any dealings with him. sorry, Ryosuke. you will forgive me right?" Yuto was immensely apologetic, unable to raise his head to face his best friend.

"Yuto, it's okay. I completely understand. it's nothing anyone can help. I'm useless myself" Ryosuke paced away, brushing past his best friend with an expressionless face.

"Chotto matte Ryosuke!" Yuto caught up with him and said, "you know I'm always here rooting for you right. if there's anything you need, even if it's just a listening ear, I'll be at your disposal. don't lose faith, we can think of something to work it out."

The only thing Yuto could see from him expression was a hardened smile that required immense effort and a thank you that was difficult to accept. The tall friend felt useless for not being able to alleviate his best friend's suffering, in fact he never managed to except lend him his support spiritually. He looked at Ryosuke who gradually disappeared through the exit, in a slower speed which hinted the extend of his untold injuries.

Ryosuke took off on his own purchased motorbike that accompanied him for 2 years and counting, and sped across the street at an alarming speed with his mind occupied by nothing else but her. sometimes he felt that his better off dead, maybe crashed in a collision, and it wouldn't matter to anyone at all. he felt handicapped, unable to save even the person he swear to protect his whole life, but he couldn't even do just that. his uselessness made his feel of redundancy in this world go up to a whole new level. the helmet covered his tears that streamed without control, and unknowingly, he could hear himself screaming in the enclosed space. 

Right in front of his eyes, he saw her in a pair of jeans matched with an oversized white tee and a black rim specs to complete the 'girl-next-door' image. She is this simple, departing from the wealthy girl impression. He stopped at a corner to observe her silently from the side while brushing off his tears before approaching her like nothing at all has happened. He saw her oblivious she is to the incoming storm and sighed at her low instinct to danger, making her so vulnerable to external threats. He shrugged away all the negative thoughts and walked towards her with a warm smile.

"Ryosuke!" she was quick to notice him and harmlessly skipped towards him elatedly. What came to his mind was how this smile would change by the end of the day, do intense sorrows that just wouldnt go away. or perhaps, he has been thinking too much, maybe she is perfectly fine with the plans laid out for her. He sustained the smile on his face and promised himself to keep the smile hanging high no matter how painful it would be till the end of the day.

"You're punctual today," he teased, annoying her slightly as she defended herself. "I'm not always late, okay" she laughed right after.

"right~" he laughed along, then asked in politeness "are you alright with seating on my bike? sorry, I won't be able to fetch you on a mercedez or limousine"

"excuse me, Ryosuke, I never bothered about these. You know it. I prefer your bike, anyway" she blurted out, then blushed when she noticed her daring confession for his vehicle.

"well, I'll take it as a compliment. hop on then. I'll bring you to this place that you never imagined existed," he passed her the other head gear and helped her put it on gently, which made her flush upon her cheeks. As he carefully pushed her hair to the back and secured it on her head, she felt her heart beating at the close proximity that left her breatheless. His sweet breathe brushed against her face, and she became so drawn to it that she leaned closer than she thought.

"Maika..." he woke her up from her daze and ushered her towards the motorbike. Clumsily, she stumbled everywhere as she tried to get on, but he is always there to hold on to her. Swiftly, he hopped on in front of her. Without having to instruct her as though it was second nature, she wrapped her arms around his waist and tightened it upon his torso. He cringed as a sharp pain hits him right at the spot but fortunately, his agonising expression was hidden from her sight. He swallowed the intense pain and took a delayed second before he drove off much more cautiously than his earlier recklessness.

She leaned on his back with feelings of security rained upon her, raising her like a free bird enjoying the breeze of freedom and happiness. It was this wildness that he always gave her and the impression that he is always there to protect her if something goes wrong, that makes her heart beat crazily. If it hasn't been obvious enough, the stark difference between the two guys have given a clear signal of who she wants to advance a relationship with and who she can only be a friend. A crazy thought sprung up in her mind as she looked at him from the corner of his focused face on the road... The urge to tell him how she feel for him has only grown ever stronger over the years, and the frustration of being simply his little sister or his best friend grew intolerable, but it was the fear of ruining this status quo, this relationship that kept her silent for so long. At times, she knew he feel the same for her, at times she could feel he has the same concern as her, and at times she knew that both their priority to protect this preciious relationship were consistent and the fear of losing it too. Once in a while, especially in times when they are alone in the part of the world which allowed for escapism, the urge to take the risk and tell it all grows strong.

She has been so engrossed in immersing herself on his warm back that she never noticed the beautiful place he has brought her to. It was only when he stopped his bike and called her name, that she sprung out of her senses.

"what are you so engrossed about?" he asked cheekily. She ignored because she didn't have a good explanation for it. Then distracted from his question as she was captivated by the mesmersing treehouse in the middle of a green meadows right before her eyes.

"Oh my... Ryosuke, this is so beautiful!" she exclaimed as she rushed down from her bike and dashed towards it. She climbed up the treehouse without any assistance and he followed close behind to prevent her fall. Once at the top, he saw the satisfying smile on her face that led his heart to flutter. 

"Glad that you liked it. This place is mostly forgotten, and I heard it was built by this old man as a remberance of his everlasting love for his deceased wife"

"the story behind the place seemed to be even more beautiful than the place itself. i really love it. Thank you for showing me"

"then lets spend the day here, alright?i brought some food that we can munch as we chat, and we can watch the sunset before we leave," he said.

She hesitated to answer not because she was unwilling to do as planned, but because it presented her with an ideal opportunity to gather her courage for the confession. "Great!" she exclaimed as she rushed to his side to help him lay out the food. Unconsciously, she knocked onto his ribs, giving him an unbearable pain that left him crouching on the ground, as much as he didn't want to alarm her. 

"oh no! gomenasai!" she tried to see whats wrong but the more he avoided her eyes and refused her help, the more suspicious she became about what had happened. she raised his tanktop and realised a huge swell at the side of his torso, then she noticed much more bruises all across his body.

'What happened?! don't tell me you fell cause that's the worst lie" she sternly looked at him while holding him still by his arms. She saw how he jerked the moment she come in contact with his arm and struggled to pry open his sweater. "oh my goodness. who did this to you?! say something... your lips too!" she found the most evident stain at the corner of his lips which she didnt notice earlier.

"don't worry, it's nothing," he said without an intention to let her know what has happened, and covered himself with his clothes to hide the true extent of the injuries.

"you're the most terrible, Yamada Ryosuke," she began to cry as though she was bullied, turning her back against him, unwilling to look him in the eye

"heh?! Maika. I'm sorry, I just dont want you to worry," he tried to pull her to face him, but she shrugged away.

"I don't wanna talk to you..."

"what do you want me to do so that you forgive me?"

"let me see your injuries," she turned to face him finally when she made the request. He did not reply immediately, cause that would clearly frighten her and lead to more questions which he wouldn't be able to answer her. But he hated it when she turned away irritably. Every minute wasted on this senseless feud, will only lead to more regrets at the end of the day, so he decided to give way.

"...okay," he replied coldly. She turned back to him immediately while he added, "but don't ask me what happened. I won't answer you." She agreed though she was not entirely pleased but she could tell he will not give in any further. She crept up closer to him, nervously inching her hands into his clothes, helping him remove his sweater than the tanktop that stood between him exposed muscles and her eyes. As he expected, her face was filled with shock to see the bruises all over. On and on, he heard her solemn cries and her endless "why" but he ignored them with a shut eye. He felt her trace every wound that was mercilessly inflicted upon him, recalling the blows as much as the emotional pain of lost.

"Otousan! Okasan!" he stomped into the study room where his family has called for a family meeting without him. He wasn't keen to join in the meeting, except his purpose of interrupting them was to look for answers.

"can't you do anything right, Ryosuke! you can't even knock on the door like a gentleman before you come in?! definitely got that barbaric trait from your filthy mother." He clenched his fist as he swallowed the insult from the lady master since it only distract him from his main purpose here.

"it's you who alerted the police about the Yamamoto's embezzlement and got them to check in on their company, isn't it. you plotted the whole thing just to get them to willingly surrender their business to you and force them to marry off their daughter," he made his daring guesses which he was sure wouldn't deviate from the truth. True enough, he was spot on when Yamada Kyoshi, Yumi and Yuma laughed.

"so you know. not too bad Ryosuke, but unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it," his father teased.

"try me! I'll not let her get toyed by you guys. You can mess with me, but i'll not allow you to touch her. i'll tell them all about it, i'll bring her away!"

"who do you think you are? YAMADA RYOSUKE! Don't see yourself too highly, she doesn't even like you," Yuma threw a diect punch right on his face, leaving a blood stain at the corner of his mouth, falling right on the floor, but picking himself right up immediately.

"don't lose your cool over him, my son" Yumi held Yuma back as Kyoshi took over the situation.

"go on, tell her parents and her all about what we did to set them up. ah, and bring her away too if you dare...but as my son., I should warn you the consequences you have to bear, not excluding the possibility of having more people hating you. Will she be thankful when her parents are arrested and sentenced to imprisonment for their own crimes which indeed happened. Will she be thankful that she will be declared a bankupt and worst, live with a person like you who has no status in life. You have nothing, if I will remind you. She will suffer with you. I surely don't mind seeing that pathetic fate of hers in your care... oh and probably the hateful stare from her parents as they are driven in to the prison cells," kyoshi said sarcastically.

"YOU'RE EVIL! WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING WILL RUIN THEIR LIVES!" he shouted, but was laughed at by the rest as though his retaliation was futile 

"whatever you do will ruin her life too. think about it, it's not too bad a deal for them. Though they lose their company, but I promised them eternal payouts and their wealth guaranteed. Yamamoto Maika gets to marry the successor of the biggest enterprise and will live in fortune and fame. clearly, you are the only stumbling block. so if you insist on doing as you wished, go ahead, but be prepared to be the one stained with their blood and tears." Kyoshi reiterated then walked alongside Yumi out of the study room, leaving only Yuma and Ryosuke behind.

Yuma paced towards him and chuckled sarcastically "see how useless you are. father is right, you are nothing more than a stumbling block. good for nothing. You even need her to beg me to relocate you into the office so that you don't have to go under the sun or carry those dirty sacks."

He was shocked at what Yuma said, realising that Maika has been thinking for him, although in a way he detested. Her request has peeved Yuma off, and his tone wasn't merely frustration, it was fueled with jealousy and anger "I HATE IT WHEN SHE MENTIONED ABOUT YOU. AND YOU KNOW WHEN I'M UNHAPPY, I WILL DO VERY NASTY STUFF"

Ryosuke noticed him signalling a few unfamiliar tough man from his back and they came forward, restraining both his arms and the third man who looked as huge as a sumo wrestler stood in front of him, raising his enormous fist and swinging at full speed on his upper body, repeatedly without mercy. He struggled to break free, but the men at his side were too tough to break loose from. The heavy blows left him bleeding internally and gasping heavily for breathe, and it didn't take long for him to start hallucinating, losing all strength to retaliate. alas, the sumo wrestler carried him, spinned him a few rounds before slamming him onto the ground and crushing Ryosuke beneath his gigantic body.

He could only remember hearing the guys left the room, with Yuma's laughter audible even from the next corridor, while he crouched in extreme pain on the cold, stone floor, bleeding profusely from his mouth, and aching on his chest and his ribs. He couldn't even stop trembling at his limbs, and did not have the strength to bring himself up. For a long hour, he just laid on the ground, alone withstanding the excruicating pain, but nothing is comparable the heartache from the shocking revelation that will change the life of the Yamamoto Residences.

Leaned against the wall, he dazed into the peaceful sky before the storm, with her beside him, carassing the final bruise on his lips that bothered her. Her delicate fingers touched upon the injury, and almost instantly, he caught her by her wrist.

"ne?" she glanced into his eyes and his into hers, and she wanted to turn away nervously, but he insisted on her line of sight. She thought they would kiss, but nothing of that sort happened, but she was sure there were sparks lighted between them.

"Maika, I want you to always be happy ne. cause you are the most beautiful when you smile."

"heh?" she became mesmerised by his words and the shimmer from the wetness in his eyes

"just promise me that."

"...okay" she promised though confused what he was really implying.

"Ryosuke, why are you saying all these? you are being weird... first, the injuries which you refuse to tell me who did it, second you make me promise you such stuff...is something wrong?" she said worriedly.

"can I ask you something?" he mustered his courage to ask.

With trembling voice, she answered with a subtle nod.

"do you love Yuma?"

"your question is ridiculous and it's not funny..." she became agitated but he grabbed her by her arms when she tried to wriggle away.

"answer me. do you love him?"

"no! if you want to know my answer, it's a no!"

"why not? he's rich, he can protect you, there's so many things he can do for you. you can enjoy a whole life without fretting about making ends meet, and there'll be everyone around who served you on your daily needs. Simply a fairytale like happy ending."

"true that, but I don't like him... i... i like...."

"like who?"

she became troubled with answering the question even though she was prepared to say it. but before she could, he interrupted her once more, "do you trust me as your best friend then?"

"yes, of course I do."

"then believe me when I say Yuma is the right guy for you."

"why are you telling me all these? You are ridiculous today, Ryosuke."

"you'll know soon. but for now, let's just enjoy the sunset alright?" he helped her up, and ushered her to the edge of the treehouse where one can get the best glimpse of the setting sun that cast a beautiful orange glow on the meadows.

As she let him lead her forward, she suddently remembered something that vaguely rang a bell.

"wait a minute... Yuma said the same line to me yesterday. is there something I should know, that the two of you are hiding from me?"

"you'll know later, but can we just quietly enjoy this peace first."

"NO! you are scaring me, Ryosuke. I'm going off, and find out for myself what's going on!" she inched towards the ladder that leads to the bottom of the treehouse and by the time he reacted, she has already gotten down.

"MAIKA!" he ran after her, and although his injuries have slowed him down, it didn't take him long to catch up with her.

"don't go! just stay with me a while more, will you?" retaining a firm grip of her arm, he refused to let go for fear that she will disappear in the next instance, but he could already feel her trembling in fright.

"why are you scaring me like this, Ryosuke?! what's happening that i don't know..." she finally broke down. seeing her break down in tears, he felt his heart ache terribly, but it also gave him the perfect excuse to pull her into his arms and cushioned her with his tough body.

Everything around her froze in that instance. Was it really him? Reaching her hand out she grazed her fingers against his right arm, they didn't fall through the air, they brushed across his fair soft skin. Looking up at him she felt melted, he was here, with her. Like a surge of electricity flowed through her she felt her arms go up and wrap behind his neck, her cheek rest on his shoulder. she acknowledge like the feel of his arms around her torso and his hands resting on her back weren't enough. Like the warmth venting from his body wasn't proof he was here. For some reason, she felt like she had to say it aloud for it be true. But she didn't, because he was there, for her. The fuzzy feeling remained for as long as they remembered and she chuckled at her own stupidity when she feared the unknown, though what she didn't know was the fear was legitimate. When she dug deeper into his chest and wasn't looking, he frowned and brushed away a fallen tear.

He would only hope that the moment will last forever, but as cruel as reality can get, kamisama has to withdraw all the goodness in a split of a second and put an end to the short escapism they created for themselves though none revealed the true feelings buried in their heart and the confession never managed to see the light. A deafening phone call, killed the silence and the lively heartbeat, and it was her phone that rang with the name he feared to see.

She wiped away the tears and motioned to pick up the call, but was stopped by Ryosuke's tough grip. She looked at him with confusion, and waited for a word or two of approval to receive the call from Yuma. As much as he wished to hang up her call, he finally let go off her hands.

"moshi moshi, Yuma?" she answered. Ryosuke looked at her with an unwavering glance, expecting a change of expression which came sooner than he thought.

"now? but I'm alittle tired" she looked at him for indication but there was nothing she could see from his expression.

"my parents are at your house? o-okay... i'll be there right away. but what is it about?" she probed but the answer she received didn't seem satisfying, and when she hung up the call, the uneasiness seemed to come back to haunt her.

"I'll fetch you..." he said coldly and took the lead to his motorbike, treating it like none of the intimate sharing happened earlier. She realised he wasn't keen on talking anymore, so she solemnly trailed behind him and hopped onto his motorbike. Just like before, she tugged herself close to his warm back and her arms enveloped securely around him, but unlike the journey here, the road back was filled with anxiety and perplexity.

Although she didn't know what was she about to face, she could already sense a weird aura surrounding the Yamada Residence. Once he dropped her off at the destination, he appeared to leave the scene.

"chotto, Ryosuke... aren't you coming in too?" she asked, but his reply was cold and irresponsible "i don't think I should be in there. I'll go for a drive until you guys are done." As soon as he is done saying, he put back his helmet and motioned to start his engine once again. 

He was afraid he would hear the line he least wanted to hear, and when he heard it, he knew he couldn't escape anymore. he knew he didn't have the heart to say no to her, cause it was a sign she needed him and not once did he turn her down.

"go in with me, Ryosuke..." she grabbed the sleeves of his sweater and looked at him with pitiful eyes. the smile he saw radiating from her in the morning is gradually diminishing in the impending darkness looming above her. despite the insecurity she began to feel, she did not have a slightest idea what she is about to face.

Dragging her feet across the door and playing with time as long as she could, she finally swing the door opened with him close behind. There she felt the creepy eyes of the 5 people who sat at the living room, staring at her as though they have all been waiting patiently for her return.

"there you are, daughter. where have you been?" her mother was first to probe, with her eyes sweeping towards Ryosuke with hostility.

"i was with Ryosuke," she said without hesitation. Her mother on the hand returned a irritated expression and rudely pulled her away from Ryosuke. She felt ashamed of her mother's behaviour. She was exchanged an apologetic glance with Ryosuke since it was her who held him back when he said he didn't belong in this conversation. If he had gone with his intention, then he wouldn't need to endure such humiliation.

Annoyingly, she exclaimed, "what is it so important that we have to discuss this late into the night?"

"there are important things we need to tell you today... something joyous," Kyoshi said, but despite his words, she felt that something wasn't right cause her father was solemnly seated at the sofa with a look of discouragement.

"joyous, otousan?" she questioned her father directly, sensing something was wrong. Instead, he looked up at her with an unconvincing smile.

"yes, my daughter. Yamamoto Enterprise and Yamada Enterprise have been fighting for so long, and we have finally decided for an acquisition. From tomorrow, Yamamoto Enterprise will be under the name of Yamada Yuma."

"Yuma? why? it should be father, and not Yuma? we are not even related..." she knew her remarks was rude in the presence of the Yamada, but the questions were too overwhelming for her to give her full consensus.

"It doesn't matter whether it's father or Yuma, cause Yamamoto Enterprise needs to be succeeded by a man anyway, and Yuma is the best man to entrust our family business to,"his answer only led to more questions, but before she could react further, Ryosuke interrupted the session with his face in such intensity that she too feel that the worst has yet to come.

"I don't think I need to be here. I'll excuse myself," he took several steps towards his cramp bedroom, but when the opposition voice was sounded, he clenched his fist in regret for even entering the house in the first place, cause he is now trapped in the situation he would kill himself to avoid.

"don't leave yet. you should stay for the good news and to congratulate the couple" he rolled his eyes behind their backs while feeling his heart wrenched tightly he thought he would suffocate. He turned around and took a quick glance at Maika's condition and saw her face filled with confusion. There in his heart, he could only pray for her to survive this shock, and apologise profusely for not being able to be there.

"what couple? i really don't understand what you guys have been saying... why should Yuma be the best person t succeed your business, otousan?"

"silly girl... of course Yuma is the one. When two of you solemnise as a wedded couple tomorrow, he will be the legitimate successor of your father's business" Reika said without a tint bit of guilt. She only cared that her family will be saved from the persecution by the law enforcers who never seemed to give up.

"W-What?" she trembled as the words echoed in her mind like a deafening chant. "tomorrow, I'll be married to Yuma? it's not April fool's yet, okasan... so there's no reason to play such a big joke..." she stumbled her way towards Ryosuke who lowered his gaze to avoid hers, and grabbed his sleeves with her frozen hands..."Ryosuke... i didn't expect you to play along with them on this. It's the most horrible joke ever. Your other pranks were much better though."

Yuma went forward and pulled her harshly away from Ryosuke and firmly told her without even giving her a chance to digest what she has been put to her thus far. Feeling protective of her, Ryosuke went towards them and released her from Yuma's hurtful grip and said, "give her a chance to breathe, wont you. aren't you being too hard on her... there's just so much she needs to understand in a day."

"shut up, Ryosuke. You don't have a voice in this decision," Yumi insulted. Then they were all frightened by Maika's hysteric laughter.

"so that's what all these are about since yesterday, ne... so i guessed it has all been decided and it isn't a joke. I'm getting married and I don't even know it until the night before my big day. Yumi-san, i think you made a wrong statement though. Ryosuke isnt the only one who hasnt got a say in this, I dont too. or at least as far as the planning has been, I wasnt included. but let me tell you guys something... I have my rights too...IT'S MY LIFE AND NOBODY CAN DECIDE ANYTHING FOR ME!" Maika shouted at the end. It wasn't surprising to see her running out of the mansion, but it came as a shock that she grabbed Ryosuke along with her. Even he was too stunned to react immediately, letting her lead him to his motorbike.

"lets go.. lets go faraway...come on" she passed him the helmet for him to take her away, instead he didn't not respond to her instructions.

"did you not understand what I'm saying? I'm asking you to drive us both away from this place!" she shouted desperately but he continued to avoid her eyes which raised her frustration to the limit. "LOOK AT ME RYOSUKE!"

Finally, he responded with a unwavering glare into her eyes, "stop messing around, Maika. It's your big day tomorrow, so go in and rest or your dark circles will make you an awful bride, ne," he braced a smile upon his face, only to receive a tight slap across his face, hitting his bruise at his lips at the same time. losing his stability, he stumbled a few steps back while withstanding the heat and pain that surged at the impact point

"how can you say that Yamada Ryosuke! how can you leave me in the lurge and throw me to them...you know... you know I love you... I only love you!"

Ryosuke was stunned by the untimely confession which obviously came too late. It could have been done in a romantic setting with him making the first move, but it was her who bravely confessed her feelings, and he could only timidly shunned away. He only hoped he could reciprocate her feelings, holding her tightly in his arms and occupying her soft lips without allowing anyone else close to her. yet he can only say the exact opposite of what he felt.

"Yuma is a good guy, he can protect you and your family. There's nowhere I can bring you to, I'm just a nobody so what do you expect from me. with him, your family will live in happiness"

"THEN WHAT ABOUT ME? WHAT ABOUT MY HAPPINESS! I DON'T CARE WHY MY FAMILY HAS TO MAKE SUCH A DECISION, BUT WHY SACRIFICE MY OWN HAPPINESS?!" she pounded on his chest, even though she knew she was hitting all over his injuries. But he let her, letting her vent her frustrations upon him, as that was the only thing he could do for her.

"trust me, it's the only way your parents can escape from persecution, unless you want to see them in jail. only Yuma can save your family. I'm just helpless. besides, love can be nutured. You may not love him now, but soon enough you will when you two stay under one roof, breathe the same air, sleep on the same bed, in each other's comfort... then you will forget me..." it hurts for him even if it's just imagining it.

"then what about you? does it not matter to you that I am marrying to him? does it not matter if i forget you"

"...it doesnt." he hesitated. with his avoidance of her eyes once more, she was certain of their mutual affection.

"what am i to you, Ryosuke?!"

"it doesnt matter... my answer doesnt matter"

"I'M ASKING YOU, WHAT AM I TO YOU, YAMADA RYOSUKE?!!!" she wrenched his collar and forced him to look through her eyes as she grilled him on the question.

Hardening his heart, he said the most hurtful words he ever said, going against his own wishes, "you're just a friend. and as a friend, I only have one thing to say... omedetou"

There was a long pause of silence that stretched across the solemn night where the two tangled individuals became untangled gradually until they no longer have anything to hold them together. It was one heartless sentence that is followed by the next, that the damage to them both became irreversible. Even if they were all meaningless sentences that went against their own hearts, it didn't matter anymore, cause each of this word is like blunt arrows that pierced mercilessly through their breaking heart.

"if that's what you want, i'll accept it graciously. Thank you for your well-wishes, Yamada Ryosuke, my friend." she wiped away all the fallen tears she shed and departed from his sight, quietly walking back to the mansion which she thought she could leave, right back into the mouth of the nightmare and the tyranny that decides her fate from the breaking of the dawn. He looked at her disappearing back, and clenched against his heart where she pounded desperately to recall his locked-away feelings, and kneeled upon the ground from his weakening limbs, breaking down in bitter cries. Even when he pressed his palms against his mouth, he couldn't hide the sobbings. Each teardrop was like blood from his heart, as all his promises to protect her and watch after her were nothing but plain english with no meanings, since all he ever did now was watch her be manipulated by the conspiracy fueled by politics and business, not knowing if she would face get her happily ever after or a series of unfortunate events  that will push her to the edge of a cliff and he would only be able to helplessly watch her plummet to her death. It was never about his own happiness, it was her happiness he worries and all that ever mattered to him. he took all of that for granted, and when he sees the blurry future of hers, he felt the immense remorse that he hasnt done anything to secure her happiness.

"Gomenasai.... Gomenasai!!!" he cried aloud and apologise repeatedly again and again, until there were no more tears and no more voice left in him.

When the morning came, everything has changed. There he stood silently at the back of the church, at a hidden corner, unwilling to openly show himself. He saw her, hoping that what he feared was unnecessary. When the time to make the oath came, she took a quick glance of her surroundings and caught him in sight.He looked intensely into her glistening eyes, and conveyed from deep within his heart to hers in the moment of connection

What I can do, is wish for your happiness
The dreams you and I shared, even if the stars never fall into my hands
Even if we never meet again
In order to forever preserve that smiling face
I will wish for that fire that holds your feelings for me to disappear

I no longer need that sadness, within my closed eyes
See, there’s a whole new fire lighting up into your pure white figure

“You’re so beautiful, congrats…”

You will be flooded with happiness, I’ll be watching over you gently
The collection of the dreams you saw, will fall lightly into flower bouquets
While gazing at your walking figure from behind, the tears surface
One day, you’ll be spending all your time laughing
It’s what I wished to this fire

The feelings that shower over me, are just like tear droplets melting off a candle
I’m praying to the flickering fire, for you to remain happy
From far away, from the heart, it’s what I feel
That’s why when things get tough for you
I’ll send over your way this fire, not the fire that’s been up till now
Praying for your dreams