「vr: 85 guidebook. 」

「vinyl rec : nineteen-eighty-five 」: apply closed | reviewing apps
VR:85 Guidebook
Characters
 
[ ATLAS CASSIDY ] :  owner of reckless records that has this y southern accent that has plenty of girls interested, but are of no interest to him. especially since he's gay, even if the only people that really know that are his family that don't want anything to do with him, a couple of the workers at reckless records (staff that have been with him for 5+ years), and some folks from the gay bar across town called the phoenix that he'll occasionally frequent. his drink of choice is sam adams or whiskey if he needs the harder stuff and he has a slight weakness for tobacco and will indulge in a cigar from time to time. (richard madden is the faceclaim for him.) 
 
[ arnold waters ] :  music town owner that wants to run reckless records out of the city due to wanting to set up shop and make music town into a record store chain. he comes from old money and has a disliking of anything weird/odd and reckless records is both, the staff especially so. 
 
Places
 
[ st. richie's hot dogs ] :  A local hot dog place about a block away from reckless records that the reckless records staff likes to hang out at. it's a small little place with a couple of tables, but has some great hot dogs and is known for their beer battered onion rings. the RR staff swear by their chicago style hot dogs and st. richie's is definitely good about portions and making sure everyone has more than enough sports peppers. and for a city that holds more hot dog places than 3 major food chain restaurants combined, hot dogs are very important.  
 
[ THE pit  ] :  the local bar that all the college kids hang out at, especially since wild blossom usually plays there every other week. the pit is literally a hole with cheap beer, ty food (except their fried cheese curds are to die for), and employees that get off on talking crap to their customers. but the latter is their thing and hyunsoo would feel odd if he didn't have any of their staff being little s to him whenever he orders a chicken sandwich instead of the usual cheese curds that everyone else gets. that and the fact that he and his band constantly play there, bringing in quite a few customers, he can't really complain when he gets said sandwich for free and enough change to get him through a couple of days of non-cafeteria food from his school.  
 
[ THE Phoenix  ] :  owned by a guy named aaron smith who has purple hair and has an alter ego named courtney, the phoenix is one of the few secret gay bars in the city that is frequented by an influx of new wavers and the alternative/artsy crowd that are 'in the know.' known to be open until 6 am on weekends and until 3am on weekdays, the phoenix greenlights as a bar/dance club. every second week of the month, they have drag queen thursdays. (And courtney is one of those queens.)
 
[ South side of chicago  ] :  The south side of chicago is an area that does have a reputation of being filled with crime and poverty, but it's actually a pretty diverse place filled with people of all backgrounds. so while there is some crime problems and some sketchy areas within the area, there are quite a few areas that have minimal crime and are quite wealthy as well. However, there is gang activity within a couple of neighborhoods within this area, but there are quite a few areas that receive little to no gang involvement. Chinatown is at the tip of this area. the home to the white sox is also in this area.  
 
[ west side of chicago  ] :  THis area usually hosts communities that are historical, cultural, and have some type of importance to the development of chicago as a whole. A good portion of chicago's immigrants live in this area, so you'll see places like little italy, greek town, polish town, and a few other cultural areas. this area is a little bit poorer than most, usually housing lower to middle class families unlike the other two major sections of chicago. reckless records is in this area and it's between little italy, greek town, and chinatown and I have envisioned the shop to be in a small, yet oddly charming area within this part of the city. this area also holds one of the nation's largest medical districts and the university of illinois is also located here as well.
 
[ north side of chicago  ] :  THis area has the most residents of chicago, but most are middle to upperclass. So this area is quite wealthy and has more white collar crime than the other two areas. wrigly field is located in this area and is home to the cubs baseball team. 
 
[ Near south SIDE OF CHICAGO  ] :  This is the home of the chicago bears and since chicago takes football seriously, it is quite common for various bars to kick non-bears' fans out during games for being traitors and being a fan of another team. but anyway, the near south side is where all the major museums, architecture, shopping, and theatre shows are at. this is quite a wealthy area. 
 
Pop Culture
 
[ classic movies  ] :  the breakfast club, back to the future, the goonies, clue, better off dead, weird science, fright night, teen wolf, just one of the guys, day of the dead 
 
[ CLASSIC groups/soloists  ] :  wham!, madonna, tears for fears, phil collins, duran duran, tina turner, bon jovi, journey, the cars, queen, new order, whitesnake, talking heads, the rolling stones, guns n roses, u2, van halen, ACDC, heart  
 
[ Cool yet random things  ] :  tee shirt clips, super mario bros, skip-it, reading rainbow, transformers, teenage mutant ninja turtles, care bears, slouch socks, jem and the holograms, scrunchies, neon colors, multicolored pens, leg warmers, patterned shoelaces
 
[ slang  ] :  see 80's slang 101 (list is pending). 
 
[ The cubs + white sox (baseball) + black hawks (hockey)] :  These are chicago's two baseball teams. most will tell you that the cubs and have since forever, but you'll never find fans quite as dedicated as cubs fans. especially since the last time they won the world series, it was in 1907 and 1908. while the white sox have had better luck in winning the world series, but chicago is not a home for it's sports to do well, unless it's hockey that is. because if there is truly one team chicago can be proud of, it's the blackhawks.  
 
[ TBD  ] :  people, places, and things to know that will be updated as the story progresses.