Headphones

No FAIR in FAREWELL

Water. Too. Much. Water. Can’t. Breathe. Help! Please!

 

“H-hey! Hey a-are you okay? H-hang in there!”

 

“W-who. A-a-are. Y-you?

 

“I’m ……………”

 

“H-how. Did. You. F-f-find. Me?”

 

“Shhhh. Calm down. Please. Please, don’t cry. It’ll only worsen your condition.”

 

“W-what. H-h-happened?”

 

“W-wait! Stay where you are, I-I’ll get help. Here, you can have this to keep you calm. I’ll come back for you. I swear on the stars tonight, I’ll be back!”

 

 


 

Early Sunday mornings were spent for walking ever since Taehyung had those recurring dreams. They were more like déjà vu than nightmares but still, he needed to clear his head from those vague memories he wished he remembered. Going for morning strolls at this day of the week seemed to have developed into a habit. He needed some fresh air to feed his lungs, which in turn had failed to work as it should.

 

Sunday mornings in his neighborhood were spent peacefully which is why he made it a routine to ease himself at these times. He loved how calm the ambience was and how fresh the air tasted. This place was probably one of the friendliest places on earth.

 

Or so he thought.

 


 

He had been walking for half an hour now and had passed by houses he knew of. He had greeted his friends Namjoon and Seokjin who were obviously forced to do their chores and Yoongi and Jimin who were unwillingly giving their landlady's pets a bath. He had also taken a glass of water from one of his classmates who lived just around the corner.

 

One of the joys of strolling down that neighborhood was that all of Taehyung's closest friends were there, most of them living in their respective dormitories because of college.

 

He was nearing the end of his route when a sudden commotion from the house he was approaching caught his attention. Taehyung had always seen this house but never its occupants, until now.

 

A boy was being dragged outside the house by a woman – who he can safely assume was the mother. She had one hand on the boy's clothes and the other on a huge travel bag. The boy seemed to be in his teens, surely younger than Taehyung. Maybe a year? Eighteen? As he was miraculously reaching his nineteenth on December.

 

The presumably younger one was in a black, worn-out, sleeveless jersey, with baggy pants and converse shoes – all these together with oversized headphones hanging around his neck and a snapback almost covering half of his face.

 

It’s strange but the stranger looks familiar and Taehyung swore he had seen or even known him before – especially with those headphones adorned with stars.

 

Taehyung slowed his pace and hid behind a nearby tree. He watched as the boy took in every physical and verbal attack his mom gave him. He seemed to pretend he wasn't hurt but Taehyung could clearly see that he was. He had this ability to read people’s expressions and tell how they truly felt in one look.

 

Finally, the boy's mother dropped her violent attempts and went back inside the house, slamming the door shut behind her.

 

The boy quickly looked around, searching for people who could've witnessed their embarrassing scene. He sighed in relief when he saw none.

 

Taehyung slowly began walking again, not towards his route but to the boy's direction.

 

What was he thinking?

 

He didn't know why he started walking that way but he thought maybe he felt a sudden sympathy for the boy whose back is now just a meter away from him.

 

Taehyung reached across for the boy’s shoulder but the boy turned around and shoved it away with his hand. His reflex was impossibly fast. He seems to have noticed he was being followed. Pretty observant.

 

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean any harm. I'm from this neighborhood and I just happened to walk by your house when…" Taehyung trailed off when the boy started walking towards a bench near the bus stop. He was confused at first but he knew he needed to do something so he followed the other.

 

"Do you mind if I sit next to you?" Taehyung asked, stressing the word next for no reason.

 

"Yeah, I mean no. I don't mind. The bench isn't mine anyway so sit wherever you like." the stranger said in a carefree tone, this time while taking off his cap.

 

Red. His hair was dyed blood red. Something Taehyung wouldn’t dare do despite the many bold changes he did back then. He let his hair stay hazel brown for a long time and he’s willing to keep it as it is. 

 

Now, Taehyung could clearly see how perfectly carved the boy’s features were. He could clearly see how defined his jaws were up close. His nose, from his view, was like a sketch of a 90-degree triangle. His eyes were beautiful but dull – as if he had been tired of using them. There were also dark rims circling below. His brows were thick and were also slightly dyed. His lips were plump but were dark and chapped – proof that he had been smoking and drinking for a long time. And, he had piercings, too many for Taehyung to pay attention to.

 

No. Just no. He didn’t know this person. He wouldn’t have. He wasn’t someone Taehyung has seen before. He wouldn’t know someone as reckless-looking as him.

 

"You saw didn't you?" the red-head asked, his tone more confirming than asking.

 

Taehyung was utterly speechless with the boy's painfully menacing perfection. He was still spacing out when he answered, "Ahh, y-yes? But don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to. I just happened to pass by at that time." His eyes were glued to the ground, never meeting the other’s and never looking up at him. Guilty.

 

There was a long silence after. He knew he sounded guilty so he decided to end the conversation and leave. As Taehyung looked to his side, he was surprised to see that the stranger already had his eyes closed with huge headphones now in his ears, his head leaning on the fully-stuffed bag beside him.

 

He looked so young, innocent and dangerous all at the same time.

 

Envy started to creep up Taehyung’s system again but he thought this was not the right time for nonsense so he shook the feeling off.

 

How could his mother do this to someone so beautiful?

 

Taehyung sat there for a while and chuckled at the thought of the word ‘beautiful’. It really is not the best term to fit his description. It’s pretty much obvious why he was kicked out wasn’t it? ‘Delinquent’ was the word.

 

He still didn't know what to do. It's almost twelve noon and he hasn't even eaten yet. His parents should be worrying by now since he's been out for too long. This was a first. He knew that it’s going to be scorching hot anytime soon as the trusty weather forecasts say. He needs to get going and fast before something happens.

 

But, should he leave the boy now when it's obvious he was thrown out of the house he lives in? Or should he think of a way to help this poor young man find a place to stay in just for the night?

 

The debates, whether to help the stranger or not, took forever in his head. Then he remembered that Yoongi and Jimin had been searching for a roommate and he wonders if the boy also goes to the same university they’re all in – since almost everyone in this neighborhood goes there.

 

Taehyung shrugs the hesitation off and tries to wake the boy up. The boy yawned and blinked one too many times before finally waking up. He looked up at Taehyung, brows furrowed in confusion.

 

"Y-you? Why are you still here?” he asked, removing his headphones in a whim.

 

“Don't you have some other place to head to?” he continued, warily.

 

"No, I don't. I just go for walks every Sundays.” Taehyung answered.

 

“You seem to have been kicked out of your house for reasons I won't ask anymore, so I've decided to help you." He waited for the boy to respond but he didn't so he continued.

 

"Do you perhaps go to Seoul School of Arts?" Taehyung asked.

 

The boy just nods in answer. "I also go there and a good friend of mine is currently looking for a roommate. So I thought maybe you would want a place you could stay in?" he finishes with a questioning shrug.

 

Once again, a long silence entered the atmosphere. Too long of a silence, that is. The boy seemed to not care in any way.

 


 

The weather is getting too hot for Taehyung’s lungs to handle. Heavy breaths now start to escape his lips. His chest started to ache and his heartbeat started to pace.

 

Taehyung really needs to go.

 

He knew this was his cue to exit the scene so he let out a long, final sigh then stood up to leave.

 

As he was about to take a step, his surroundings spun like whirlwinds. His chest felt like it’s about to explode and migraines started to attack his already aching head. His sight starts to blur and his knees were weakening.

 

Oh dear God. Why now? Of all the places? Of all the times?

 

He was about to pass out when a warm pair of hands grabbed him by his shoulders on time, gently tugging back and forth. He then felt strong arms grab him by his thighs, struggling as his hands were put around the other’s neck and his head was rested in the other’s chest.

 

Taehyung's heavy breathing took all his spare strength.

 

The last thing he saw was the bright sun rays piercing his eyes. A faint, panicking voice calling out his name, telling him to wake up, was the last thing he heard. And the last thing he felt were the rapid heartbeats of the person carrying him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then everything went pitch black.

 


 

A/N:

Once again, hello to everyone! Firstly, I want to apologize for the delay. I was so busy lately that I rarely got a chance to continue the story, my deepest apologies, really. Secondly, thank you to everyone who upvoted and subscribed to this story! I am very pleased that you’re willing to read it. Thank you so so much! And to the readers, who commented, please continue to express your thoughts and suggestions. Every word is highly appreciated!

 

Once again, I had my sister (co-author) copy read this for me. We’re amateur authors so please be considerate. Haha~ Super thankies!

 

P.S: I promise that the next chapter will be updated earlier than this one.

 

With much love,

alylylove