Ch. 2 The Building

Recess

Thanks again to those who have subscribed. Sorry this took so long to update; I'm not new to writing fanfics, but I'm new to writing about real people. I really analytical about my writing, and since I don't know Bangtan on a personal level and hard to write about it since there's such a high chance I'm getting it wrong. But, anyway, let's move onto the story. 

Enjoy~

 

Ch 2 The Building

We’re on our way back,” Miran’s voice could be heard from the phone on speaker.

“Finally,” Jieun complained, “Suji-unnie won’t let us eat till you get here.” It had been a couple hours since the girls had returned to their dorm—in those hours Jieun had returned to the dorm. The maknae line had arrived hungry just for Suji to refuse to serve dinner without everyone in the residence was present. How she hadn’t caved with all the whining from Jieun and Inyoung or the aegyo from Soeng was beyond the maknaes. Hyunmi, being one of the girls to be with the company for years had learned the art of sneaking food around. She kept it a secret from everyone though, especially Inyoung, the notoriousblackhole stomach, and Suji, the self-assigned cook of the group.

“We’re hungry!” Seong and Inyoung cried in chorus to the phone laying on the dining/coffee table.

Suji,” Lilly called.

“Yes?” said girl replied.

After a moment, Lilly deadpanned, “We already ate. Let the maknaes eat.” All four youngest let out noises that sounded like joy, relief, sadness, or betrayal.

“You already ate?” Suji asked bring out the bowls of rice to the girls.

“Yeah,” Miran replied, “Since it was so late, Yoongi-oppa and Namjoon treated us to food near by. We should be there soon.”

All that could be heard was Suji reply as the others muttered into their food.


1 week later

“Do you think they’re in there?” Jimin asked as he and other two maknaes as they made their way to the practice room. Ever since they had met the girls of DRAMA, the boys took any chance to crash their dance practices. The past few tries, however, the practice room was vaccant, and they boys had actually parged into a couple trainee practice sessions, which led to awkward mentor speaches that the boys had to give as punishment for interrupting training. Later, when the boys were finally released from staff, they would find the girl's in vocal training or in the studio.

Jungkook shrugged, and Taehyung suggested, “Their producing music right now. Creating choreo for songs that aren’t finalized is counterintuitive.”

“Well,” Jimin started, “We’re preparing for comeback, and we’re going to practice. There's still a chance that they're in there.”

“But,” Jungkook added, "We need to be careful when we open the door. Last time we didn't even open it that wide and the staff caught us.”

Jimin smirked, "Well, it's your turn this time, so good luck."

The boys continued to walk to their designated room, taking the long way to pass the girls’ room. From outside the door, BTS’s music was heard. This time it was Danger. The boy's nodded, definately DRAMA.

Jimin grimaced, “Why are they practicing that one?”

“I already feel my legs hurting,” Taehyung whined as Jungkook made his way to the door opening it. They came upon the girls dancing in sync to the music. The boys looked about; now there was a choreographer, theirs to be exact, standing by the side analyzing the girls. The choreographer caught sight of the boys, motioning them towards him. The boys, slightly distracted by seeing the girls push through the dance moves dispite how exhausted they looked, shuffled their way to the dance teacher.

“Where are the other boys?” their choreographer questioned them, still keeping an eye on the girls as they neared the end of Suga’s rap.

“Yoongi-hyung and Rapmonie are in the studio,” Jimin answered, “Jin-hyung and Hobi-hyung went to workout.”

To that their teacher nodded, “Once your tracklist is approved, I want to get some days alone with your boys, then we’ll start having joint practices.”

The boys nodded, and the song ended. Suji, Miran, Hyunmi, and Inyoung collapsed on the floor in a peap. Song and Jieun braced themselves on their knees leaning into each other. Lilly slowly walked over to the choreographer trying to compose her breathing, “Is this really the song we’re going to perform?”

“PD-nim hasn’t confirmed anything until we have a stage performance tracklist,” the teacher replied.

“Then why are we doing Danger?” Suji cried from her place on the floor.

“To get your endurance up,” the choreographer replied simply. To that, the girls on the floor looked at him exasperated.  


Hours later, when the choreographer finally let the girls go for the day, Miran made her way to BTS’s studio. It was late and almost no one was in the building aside from a few staff. Miran winced when she bumped into a door handle as she trudged her way  to the room. Her legs were sore, barely holding her up, but she wanted to hear her song. Pie. She really should have changed it’s title by now, but she couldn’t think of anything that would fit a work that she slaved over for so long.

She had worked on songs before; not a few months into becoming a trainee one of her sunbaes suggested she take up producing lessons after seeing her play the drums in one of the recording studios after hours. Her teachers said she had a natural talent for rhythm, figuring out which beats meld together nicely. Over the years she had made a few trial songs. They took time because she was a bit of a perfectionist when it came to composing, yet they never were completed.

Miran was always good at making music, but when it came to creating lyrics she was stuck. Miran’s dream wasn’t to become a singer, that was her counsin's, Seokjin’s dream. When growing up, Jin would always sing to her, she was always join him by adding an instrumental, mostly from a piano app on her phone. When the elder was accepted in his audition, Miran’s mother insisted she audition as well.

She made the audition by singing. It was mystery to her how she made it, but she did.

By the time she made it to the studio, she was over reminiscing. She had been doing a lot of that recently.  She had confided in Suji about it. Apparently, everyone in the group was thinking about their time as trainees, and Suji said it was probably because they were going to debut soon.

Miran let out a deep breath as she unlocked the door to the studio with the key she got from Lilly. She plopped herself down in the chair at  the desk. The worn material let her settle comfortably into her position before she started up the computer. After a few moments she opened up the file named ‘PIE’ and let it play through the speakers.

She sighed letting her sore muscles relax as the beat pulsed through her body.

The song was a good two minutes in when the door to the room opened abruptly, startling Miran. Her fingers flew to the keyboard to pause the song before spinning around to see who the intruder was. There standing with a blank face was Yoongi. He was in his usual hoodie and jeans, and he had his phone in his hand.

“Ah, Miran-ah,” Yoongi started walking into the room. Miran greeted him as he situated himself on the spear chair Namjoon got stole from a conference room down the hall. Yoongi let the corners of his mouth raise when he spoke, “I just spoke to PD-nim. He gave the ‘okay’ on your song. He said it can go on DRAMA’s debut single.”

To that, the girl’s eyes widened. “Really?” she questioned amazed.

The rapper nodded, “We need to have the melodies and lyrics complete in the next couple weeks. If we do that, it’ll for sure go on the single.”

Miran sat back in the chair with a sigh, “Great.”

“C’mon,” Yoongi pressed, “Sound excited. PD-nim gave the song a lot of praise, we can’t disappoint him.”

“Yeah,” Miran said giving a small smile to the music file on the computor screen.


Another Week later

“Just let it out,” Suji instructed.

“It helps if you just close your eyes,” Seong encouraged.

Miran pouted at the two before sighing and turning towards the wall where a layer of soundproof sheetrock met her. Taking a deep breath and closing her eyes, Miran concentrated on the starting note before letting it escape and mouth at a solid G4 slowly building up up to C5. Miran’s eyebrows twitched thinking of what the next note was supposed to sound like before  attempting it. Although her effort, no sound escaped the girl’s throat. Miran pushed her out what sound she could manage before an unattractive squeak came from , making the other three in the room wince. Miran groaned, “You see! I’m not made for high notes. That’s why I’m doing low notes.”

“It’s still important to warm up properly, unnie,” Jieun who was residing in the corner of the room in what was their instructors chair.

To the that the eldest flicked the sheet music laying atop of the piano next to her. It was one of the songs the producers gave to them when they first started preparing for debut. The track and lyrics that Lilly, Hyunmi, and Inyoung wrote were finalized, and it was most likely going to be their title track. Miran muttered before moving on to their next song, “No need when I’ll never get highnotes.”


“So, you used to live in America?” Namjoon asked from where he was lounged on the studios’s couch.

Lilly let a small smile break her serious expression, “Yeah. I lived in San Francisco. It’s in California.”

To that Namjoon nodded, “How did the company find you?”

“Uh,” Lilly started scratching her head, “One of the recruiters found me when I was rapping to Cypher on the street here, and they said I should audition.”

Namjoon fowarded his brows, "What were you doing in Korea, if you lived in California?"

Lilly shrugged, "Vacation."

“Wait,” Jungkook, who the two hadn’t noticed had made his entrance into the room, “No fair, hyung and noona are going to start talking in english all the time now.”

“Well,” Lilly started, “Maybe we can teach you guys.” To that Namjoon raised an eyebrow. Lilly shrugged, “I’m teaching Suji-unnie and Hyunmi.”

“Hyung,” Jungkook pouted, “Why don’t you teach us?”

“He doesn’t have the patience for that,” Yoongi said coming into the room through the open door pushing the maknae out of the way. Behind the rapper trailed in Hyunmi and Inyoung, the two greeted Namjoon bowing respectfully before sitting close to Lilly on the floor by her feet. The girls’ leader looked down at them with a small smile seeing Hyunmi with a rugged, overused notebook that had scribbles all over the cover and Inyoung clutching her tablet to her chest with her earphones hanging around her neck. As Yoongi and Jungkook took their seats near the studio’s computer, Hoseok came in, dragging the beanbag from one of the room’s corners.

“Alright,” Namjoon started, “Time to write your raps for your title track. If you need help, let us know.” To that, the three girls nodded, then, Namjoon turned to his own members, “We also need to work on our raps for the new songs.”

After that, the collective group of rappers started. Somehow during their writing process, Hyunmi found a way into the corner of the room, stretching her legs along the wall, using an adjacent wall for support. In her position, her notebook laid open in her lap scrap pieces of paper by her sides with lines scribbled on them. She was leaning against the wall, her hands limp in her lap pen held in a hand before she would crouch down and scribble down a few lines, scratch some parts out, replace a few words before rewriting the lines on a new page, then repeating the process on the old paper, always adding to the new paper.

Inyoung and Jungkook found a way to squeeze themselves on the couch with Namjoon and Lilly after a few bouts of whining and complaining about the hard floor hurting their tailbones. Jungkook lucked out and got the armrest, so he was able to lean on the cushion and write out lyrics in peace. Namjoon was then next to Jungkook focused on his notepad while Lilly slouched into the cushion with her legs stretched out settled on the back of Hoseok’s beanbag. Lilly wrote down lines into her phone. Inyoung, like Jungkook managed to get the other armrest deciding to lean back on the cushion and rest her feet on Lilly’s lap while she wrote out lines into her tablet. The older didn’t mind the weight choosing the tickle the younger’s socked feet when she got stuck.

Hoseok looked up from his position in the beanbag after he heard Inyoung shift from being tickled. He checked the time seeing that they had been at it for close to four hours. He looked around seeing Yoongi was now working on a track titled ‘PIE’; he most likely had his raps done within the first couple hours. Jungkook was watching Namjoon write lines, leaving his own notepad alone. Lilly was busy trying to stretch her legs as Inyoung repositioned herself. In the corner, Hyunmi’s notebook was neatly closed and she was curled up into a ball in her large hoodie. The girl had somehow found one of Taehyung’s lion plushies and was now using it as a pillow against the wall.

Hoseok sighed stretching up and out of the beanbag. He made his way over Yoongi lightly tapping him on the shoulder to get his attention. The older grunted, taking one of his earbuds out to listen to him. “I’m done for today,” Hoseok said, “I’m going to go stretch out in the dance room.”

At that, Yoongi nodded, ge fsturing to everyone behind him, “Take the maknaes with you.” Hoseok nodded, he then got Jungkook and Inyoung’s attention and woke up Hyunmi to head to the dance room.

When the four left, Yoongi called out, “Lilly-ah.”

“Yes, Yoongi-oppa,” Lilly answered comfortably. It didn’t take long for the two to get comfortable with each other. Both Yoongi and Lilly were reserved and quiet most of the time. In the couple weeks that they had met, there had been a handful of times where they found themselves in comfortable silence in the studio because Yoongi was writing music and Namjoon had a meeting with staff while Lilly was hiding from dance practice.

Yoongi took out his earphones before questioning her, “Did Miran write this melody to her song?”

“She must have, no one else touches that file,” Lilly said closing her notepad app on her phone, “How is it?”

“It’s really good,” Yoongi said before unplugging his earbuds to let the song play through the speakers. The familiar track played through coupled by the new fitting melodies and harmonies played as piano notes that would soon be vocals.  

“Wow,” Namjoon said, “Did she just record the keyboard over it?”

“That’s where the soundbyte is from,” Yoongi replied, before opening a few files of the software the boys showed the girls where they wrote and saved their lyrics. “I wonder if she’s written any lyrics…” He searched through the files, soon becoming frustrated with the large amount of files he had to leaf through from BTS’s lyric records. “We have to make a DRAMA file,” he bit out still scrolling.

“Look for the latest edited file, hyung,” Namjoon suggested. The older let out an exasperated sigh as he did as the younger suggested. Very quickly he found a file he did not recognize.

“P.I.?” Yoongi questioned to no one before opening the file. Lilly and Namjoon jumped when Yoongi let his head fall limply onto the desk. Namjoon got up to check what it was that made the older act so out of character.

There on the open file was a blank document save for ‘P.I.’ typed out at the very top and an ellipsis right under it. “You know, this doesn’t mean she didn’t write lyrics,” Namjoon reasoned, “She probably wrote them down somewhere, and she has the lyrics with her.”

Yoongi sighed before pushing himself away from the desk. “I’m going to go sleep,” he muttered before leaving the room.


 
Well that's all for right now. I hope you liked it.