Chapter 2 : The bad boy's hitlist

Falling For You

Chapter 2 : The bad boy’s hit list.

Jeon Jungkook

“So you’re saying they cornered you?” Tae-hyung’s jaw worked in anger as he heard what happened yesterday.

His cheery greeting was quickly replaced by stunned anger when he saw my face and demanded I explain my bruises. I reluctantly told him about the fight.

“Five against one?” Jimin whistled in disapproval. “Now that’s not playing fair.”

“When have they ever played fair?” I muttered softly.

“They will pay for this.” Tae-hyung growled under his breath.

“Hyung – I already made them pay yesterday.” I said as I lay back on the grass. My body was starting to feel sore from the excessive beatings but I wasn’t about to admit that to Tae-hyung especially when he was such in a foul mood already.

“I don’t…” he began but Jimin cut him off.

“Yah…let him be. Jungkook is a big boy; he can take care of himself.”

Tae-hyung looked like he wanted to argue more but decided against it. With a sigh, he relented and was back to his old cheerful self again. “Fine…but the next time, I won’t let them get away.”

I nodded and closed my eyes. I didn’t get much sleep last night since I only managed to sneak in after midnight and kept worrying over the fact that my father could walk in any minute and see my bruises. It was only when I woke to go to school that I found out he had left for his business trip the day before – so much for those needless worrying and sneaking around.

“Now that that’s settled, do tell me who is next on your ‘hit list’ Jungkook-ah.” Jimin nudged me with his foot.

I heard a sharp intake of breath and groaned inwardly. Jimin and his big mouth need to have a handful of chillies stuffed into it.

“JEON. JUNG. KOOK.” Tae-hyung glared at me.

I stood up and dusted my pants. “Hyung, don’t worry. I’ll just be messing around this time.”

“Messing…JUNGKOOK!” he snapped, surprising both me and Jimin at the same time. “Remember what happened the last time someone was on your hit list??”

I cringed. It wasn’t my fault that everyone decided to outcast the guy. Besides, it was his fault to begin with... he was the one who insulted me first. I was only giving back as good as I got. I shrugged.

“It wasn’t that bad…”

“Bad? The guy wanted to commit suicide!” Tae-hyung burst out, earning himself curious stares from the passing students. But one look at me and they all hurried away.

“Don’t exaggerate…” Jimin slapped Tae-hyung’s shoulder and laughed to himself. “Standing from the first floor ledge and threatening to jump does not count as wanting to commit suicide.” He stood up to stand beside me. “He was a coward who wanted attention.”

“Whatever.” Tae-hyung said as he too stood up. Unable to curb his curiosity he slanted a gaze at me. “So, who is it?”

I smiled mysteriously and took out the girl’s phone. “The owner of this phone.”

*** ***

There were murmurs of excitement as I strolled through the corridor with Tae-hyung and Jimin flanking my sides. I knew that most of the students were under the impression that I was feared enough to actually have not one but two of the top sunbae’s in Chonseol High under my thumb.

They couldn’t have been more wrong.

Rather than having them under my thumb, it was more the other way around. These two hyung’s were the only ones who could keep me in line. However, instead of denying it, they actually went along with the story and wasn’t the least bit offended by it – finding the whole situation entertainingly funny.

As we passed another group of students, I caught the words ‘hit list’ mentioned and smirked in response. Looks like Jimin did a good job in spreading the word.

After promising Tae-hyung that my latest victim would not be hurt – merely terrorized, he decided to let me have my fun, in return that I attended school every day. What he doesn’t know was that I only promised to attend school but not stay in it.

Just then a dishevelled looking junior appeared in front of me looking nervous and shifty. He pushed his glasses back up his nose and sniffled. “You…you w-were l-looking f-f-for me?” his voice barely above a whisper.

“Yes.” I approached him and he flinched in horror. Students around us gasped and wondered if my new target was the poor nerd standing before me. I rolled my eyes and motioned him to follow me out.

Without waiting to see if he followed, I led the way towards the roof top to ensure no one listened in on our conversation. Turning around, I faced the nerd who was by now as white as sheet from fear and nodded to both Tae-hyung and Jimin to cease escorting him.

Tae-hyung shook his head at my actions and walked away while Jimin gave me a mock salute and a cheeky wink before trailing after Tae-hyung.

“F-first…fi-first period is st-starting.” The nerd said suddenly, catching my attention.

“What?”

“I – I need to g-go to c-class.” He croaked out.

“I’m afraid you won’t be able to attend your first period lessons.” I said smoothly.

“A-are you…going t-to k-k-kill me?”

I chuckled at his question and shook my head. “No…lucky for you, I only need some information.”

The nerd literally swooned with relief and I leaned against the roof ledge nonchalantly. “I need information about a certain someone.”

 

Park Tae Chan

“As school representative, I will be showing you around today.”

I nodded and managed a smile as I followed her as she led me towards the school fields. The school rep –Minji as she introduced herself – was a day late in giving me the tour around school. I already knew where was where and what was what after my own exploration yesterday.

Not wanting to appear rude, I kept silent and nodded politely as she pointed out various spots around school and inserting relevant remarks about each one. Stifling a yawn, I tried my best to keep looking interested while thinking back about my lost phone.

I blame myself entirely for being stupid enough to leave it at the convenience store. No, wait – actually I blamed Kang Jun for making me so worked up in anger that I had to go walking and I blamed the weather for being cold that I had to enter the store and finally I blamed that student for freaking me out until I left my phone behind.

Without realising it I had unconsciously muttered a curse while stamping my foot. It wasn’t until Minji was clearing at me that I realised what I had done.

“Sorry…there was an insect.” I quickly lied.

“Huh…” was all she said.

We were exiting the last building where the senior classes were when a commotion sounded at the end of the hallway. Girls were gushing over the presence of someone while the boys looked none too pleased. Being petite in size, I was unable to see who was causing such a reaction among the seniors as everyone was simply towering over me and blocking my view. I stood on tiptoe, trying to peer over their shoulders.

“What’s going on?” I turned to ask Minji.

I watched in amazement as the strict and serious looking Minji became flustered and started acting all silly by giggling and blushing. “Uhhh –“ I was loss for words.

“Don’t you know who that is?” she looked at me in disbelief.

“Err, no? I’m new here, remember? Besides, I can’t even see his face.” I tiptoed to get a better look again.

“Oh god, the principal is here. Let’s go!” Minji said suddenly and before I could even catch a glimpse of whoever that was, I was dragged away.

*** ***

“What made him change?” I asked Minji.

From what I’ve gathered, the one who created all that commotion just now was Chonseol’s High very own ‘Golden Boy’ Jeon Jungkook. He was smart, talented and good looking – basically a triple threat. Every guy envied him and every girl dreamed to be with him.

However, that was in the past when he was good mannered with a friendly disposition. One day he finally snapped and became the feared terror machine that he was known as of today. Gone were the sweet smiles replaced by a brooding expression.

“What did you say?” Minji came out from her musings.

“I said…what made him change? I mean no one just changes overnight like that – something must have triggered it, right?”

Minji simply shrugged. “I don’t know.”

I stared at her with wide eyes. “I thought you like him?”

She laughed and straightened the pleats of her skirt. “Everyone likes him – but no one really cares about his past.”

“Why not? Don’t you want the old Golden Boy back instead of this – this terror machine?” I asked in puzzlement.

She laughed again and it grated on my nerves. “Every girl likes a bad boy.” She scoffed at my expression and walked off.

“Not every girl.” I muttered to myself.

I trailed slowly after Minji, pondering about Jungkook. What could’ve made him change so drastically? Was it a broken heart? I chased after Minji.

“Did he ever get his heart broken?” I asked her as she looked at me in surprise.

“He doesn’t get his heart broken…he breaks people’s hearts.”

“Oh, then maybe he was betrayed by his best friend?” I tried again.

“Have you been watching too many dramas?” Minji said, beginning to look irritated. “In the first place he doesn’t mix around…the only two people he is close to is Tae-hyung and Jimin sunbae.” A dreamy look crossed her face. “Those oppas are really cute too.”

“So they betrayed him?”

“Huh?! What?” she stared at me as if I had lost my mind. “No, of course not! Why do you think he was hanging out at the senior’s level just now instead of in class like the rest of us?”

I wanted to correct her that we were at the senior’s level just a moment ago as well but decided against it. If her nostrils flared any more bigger than it already was, it might just explode.

“Why are you so interested in him anyway?” she narrowed her eyes in suspicion. “Do you like him?”

“No! I have a boyfriend…and I was just curious.” I denied vehemently. “Plus I don’t even know what he looks like.”

She sniffed haughtily. “Good. Keep it that way. He belongs to Kang Ji-yoon.”

“Who?”

“Kang Ji-yoon…” she said in an exasperated tone. “Chonseol High’s beauty.”

I gave an unladylike snort, earning a glare from Minji. “Perhaps you don’t grasp the situation and think whatever I’m telling you is a joke. But be warned that if you so much as step out from the line, you will be targeted.”

“What line? – and targeted by whom?”

She took a step towards me and leaned down. “Just stay out of Ji-yoon’s way and pray that you don’t get on JK’s hit list.”

“JK? You mean Jungkook? Ahhh – so are they a couple?”

Minji’s face became red and she had on this look like she wanted nothing better than to strangle me. “Are you stupid??” she cried out.

“Yah!” I objected. I didn’t take kindly to being called stupid, but Minji went on.

“Why can’t you understand what I’m trying to tell you?? Arghh!” she yelled in frustration and grabbed my shoulders. “Listen and register what I am about to tell you. – Jungkook is not dating anyone, he wasn’t betrayed by anyone and he is not suffering from a broken heart. He is just plain evil and if you do not want to suffer in this school, avoid him at all cost!” she took a deep breath. “As for Ji-yoon, she is the definition of in this school. She is popular and has a strong following, so you need to stay away from her as well – this includes not getting interested in Jungkook.”

“Ok…” I said in stunned surprise at her intensity.

Minji removed her hands and exhaled in relief. “Now that that’s settled –“

“Wait…Jungkook is single, but he belongs to Ji-yoon?” I tilted my head in confusion.

“Oh my god! What is it with you? Normal people do not care who belongs to whom – after knowing about them!”

“Maybe I’m not normal.” I shrugged. “Can you just answer the question?”

She sighed and arched a brow at me. “Do you promise not to ask anything more on this matter after I do?”

I nodded.

“Fine – you are one curious kid you are…” she said reluctantly. “Ji-yoon wants nothing more than to have Jungkook under her thumb. She has it in her head that the queen bee should be with the school’s best. And Jungkook is the best, despite having the personality of a jerk.” Minji rolled her eyes. “So naturally she has informed everyone that he belongs to her and it’s only a matter of time before he realises it.”

“So moral of the story; stay out of their way if you want to graduate in one piece.”

“Got it. Be invisible…I can do that.” I bit the insides of my cheeks as I pictured graduating with my scholarship offer intact. There was no way I wanted to jeopardize that – no matter how curious I was about the ex ‘Golden Boy’.

*** ***

I sat doodling on my notebook as the teacher droned on and on about the importance of grammar usage. I had studied this chapter a few nights ago on my own and wasn’t in the mood for a refresher.

There were two things occupying my mind right now and that was Kang Jun and my missing phone. Although I had used my sister’s phone to try calling him last night, he still didn’t answer so I had no choice but to leave him a text. Now I couldn’t wait for school to end to see if he had replied any of my messages.

I sighed and cursed my luck. When I realised that I had left my phone behind, I had rushed back only to find the store empty. No scary student and no phone either. The store cashier was no help as he was busy dozing off behind the counter. My head snapped up as a thought occurred to me.

The scary student! He should know what happened to my phone…he might have even taken it! Oh, why didn’t I think about this sooner? All I had to do was find him and hopefully get my phone back. A smile crept upon my lips and disappeared just as quickly when another thought surfaced – only problem was…I had no idea what he looked like since he was wearing a face mask.

I gave up and laid my head on the table. The only clue I had were his eyes and the bruises. How was I supposed to go around basing my search on just that?

 

Jeon Jungkook

“What are you doing here hoobae?” the icy tone was laced with repressed anger.

I glanced behind from my sitting position on the table and suppressed an irritated sigh. Sejoon sunbae was eyeing me with something I could only describe as immense dislike. I turned back to Tae-hyung and refused to answer Sejoon.

“I ask you what you are doing here.” He snapped.

As school president, Sejoon controlled the mass and he was a stickler for rules. Which was why Jungkook, Jimin and even Tae-hyung were on his bad side – they never listened to him and acted as if they owned the school. In Sejoon’s books that was a big no no.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m talking to my friend.” Jungkook said without turning around. A few students snickered.

“You know very well that you are not allowed on the senior level during lessons!” Sejoon’s voice turned menacing.

“Aish…there isn’t any lessons going on now.” Jimin said, smiling as if the tense atmosphere was non-existent.

“I will report you –“

“Sejoon-ah…” everyone turned to glance at Tae-hyung who had kept silent until now. Twirling a pen between his fingers, he perused Sejoon in a condescending manner and scowled. “I don’t think that’s necessary.”

“I’m not afraid of you –“

“What is going on here?!” A stern voice asked from the crowd.

Everyone backed away to allow the principal through. I didn’t know if I imagined it, but I thought I saw my next victim fleeing from the crowd. The nerd had told me she was a transfer student by the name of Park Tae Chan. That was the reason I was at the senior level – to discuss my welcoming ‘gift’ for the new student with Tae-hyung and Jimin.

As the norm, my presence caused a stir which resulted in the school’s president involvement. I sighed as I watched Tae-hyung and Jimin arguing with Sejoon about my case in front of the principal. She didn’t look please and motioned me to come forward.

“For the last time Jeon Jungkook. Stay away from the senior level. You are disrupting everyone’s studies.” She shook her head in resignation and motioned me to leave. “I will let you off today with a warning.”

“But –!” Sejoon’s protest was hushed by the principal and I smirked in response as he stared daggers at me before walking off.

*** ***

I perused my reflection in the bathroom mirror and winced slightly when I touched the bruised area. I was lucky that it didn’t swell overnight. I felt a buzz in my pocket and pulled out Tae Chan’s phone. Wow – twenty notifications in less than an hour. This girl was either pretty popular or she had a bad case of stalker issues.

I itched to read her messages but was unable to due to her stupid phone lock. I had tried guessing her password twice and obviously I failed.

“You shouldn’t act so high and mighty when you’re so short.”

My ears perked at the familiar voice resounding outside the boy’s toilet. Looks like Ji-yoon has found another person to terrorize today.  I shook my head in exasperation and finished washing my hands. Let’s hope that she knew better than to block the doorway this time round.

Ji-yoon was the most exasperating attention seeker I knew and was known to hold her arguments in the most strategic places for a full audience. Such as in the cafeteria lunch line, the library and her most favourite – in front of doorways, blocking any possible ins and outs.

The last time this happened, I had to practically force my way through and it ended with her tripping and falling inelegantly to the floor. Despite all this, she still tried vainly every single day to be with me. You’d think by the way I was treating her she would’ve gotten the hint.

“How ironic…since I’m short, shouldn’t it be short and mighty instead of high?” her victim answered with a laugh. Where have I heard that voice before? The defiant tone sounded familiar.

“Omo…are you trying to be smart??” Ji-yoon replied with a hiss. I edged nearer to the door to catch the action.

“Hardly trying…I AM smart.” The victim scoffed back. I grinned at her response and peeked out. I wanted to see the person who wasn’t intimidated by the great Park Ji-yoon.

Long straight hair, big almond shaped eyes and a petite build – it was the very next person on my hit list, Park Tae Chan. Well, well, well. This was interesting.

I turned my attention to Ji-yoon who looked like she was choking on her own rage and cringed. I knew what was coming next. In a swift motion, she raised her hand intent on striking Tae Chan across the face but was outmanoeuvred when Tae Chan neatly side stepped her and backed away from her reach.

“Oops, sorry. Would love to stay and chat…but I need to go to the teacher’s office.” And to everyone’s bewilderment, she waltzed away unharmed as Ji-yoon stared after her gaping.

I leaned my shoulder against the wall and thought hard. I was impressed by her spirit, but this didn’t bode well with my plans. Park Tae Chan was going to be a challenge.

 

Park Tae Chan

I have made an enemy.

That much was obvious judging by the hostile look I had received from that tall student with the ever present hand mirror. I should really learn to keep my mouth shut instead of countering back with sarcastic remarks.

I stuffed my hands into my blazer pocket as I exited the teacher’s office and headed back to class. My homeroom teacher had suggested I take up volunteer tutoring for extra credit and I wasn’t exactly keen on the idea. I didn’t have the patience to sit through and tutor someone.

Psst!” someone called out from behind.

I glanced over my shoulder to see Minji signalling me to come over as she tried to remain inconspicuous behind the wall column. Curious, I approached her with narrowed eyes. We didn’t exactly part on friendly terms; she with her haughty attitude and me with my sassy responses – so I wondered what could she possibly have to say to me.

“I thought I told you to steer clear of the queen bee!” she chided me the minute I came within earshot.

“Huh?” what was she talking about?

“Everyone is talking about what happened! You challenged her…” Minji stared at me as if I had lost my mind.

“Challenged the queen bee?” I frowned. “That’s impossible…the only person I spoke to other than you was this tall irritating…” I broke off as Minji gave me a pointed look. “Oh no…that was Kang Ji-yoon?!” I cried out in astonishment.

“Shhhh!” Minji covered my mouth in a hurry. “She has spies everywhere…I’m risking a lot in actually talking to you.”

“Aren’t you exaggerating a little?” I removed her hand a little too forcefully. I didn’t take kindly to being manhandled.

Minji scoffed at me. “When it comes to the queen bee, nothing is ever an exaggeration.”

“Whatever…” I turned to leave. “For the record, I didn’t challenge her. In fact, I acted quite civil towards her – so I don’t see what the big issue is about.”

“You’re stupid if you think she’s just going to let you get away with this. No one ever walks away from her…and when you did, you caused her to lose face. To Ji-yoon that was an outright challenge.”

I whirled to face Minji. “Why do you care anyway? If you’re so afraid of her, why risk your safety and take the time to warn me?” I glared at her as she appeared too stunned to answer. At first I thought her reaction was caused by me but slowly realised that her attention was fixated elsewhere.

"Hey, transfer student!" someone called out from behind. I turned and came face to face with the button on the boy's uniform.

I took a step back and tilted my head up to look at him. "You are?" I inquired

"Your worst nightmare."