Chapter 1 : A fresh start?

Falling For You

Park Tae-chan

I snapped my black hairclip into place and smooth my long hair with my hands while checking out my reflection in the dresser table mirror.

“As neat as always.” I said to myself, pleased with how I looked in my new school uniform. Opposed to my previous uniform of dull brown, this was a mix of dark green and black which suited nicely with my fair skin tone.

I leaned closer towards the mirror and inspected my eyes. Blinking slowly, I made sure that the faint eyeliner I sneaked on was not smudging and nodded in satisfaction. Everything was in order.

Grabbing my backpack, I bowed at my reflection and practiced my introductory lines.

“Hello everyone, my name is Park Tae-chan. Nice to meet you.” I said in a cheerful tone ending it with a bright smile.

Someone chuckled behind me and I whirled around to see my sister lurking outside my room door. “Worried of your first day in your new school?” she asked, walking into my room.

I sighed and adjusted the straps of my backpack. “Just a bit.” I admitted.

“You’ll be fine,” she assured me. “Now come out for breakfast or we’ll be late.”

I nodded and followed her out into the living hall of our newly rented apartment. During the school break, Tae-ra had resigned from her existing job to apply for a higher paying salary at another company. Since my welfare is now solely under her care, she had decided that her existing salary wasn’t enough to support us and despite hating the idea of an office job, she gritted her teeth and accepted it.

Since her new job was further than what she anticipated, we decided to relocate after a long discussion. This meant I had to transfer to a different school as well – not that I minded, really – and thankfully the scholarship program that I had applied for was available in my new school.

I had spent the entire short break unpacking and decorating our apartment while she juggled between her new workload and settling my school registering and transferring of records.

Finally the day had arrived for me to attend my new school and hopefully make new friends. I was extremely nervous and found it hard to swallow my breakfast of milk and toast. Tae-ra was making an effort today – usually it was just cereal and juice – and I applauded her for it, since she can’t cook for nuts.

“Once we’re settled properly, I will join a cooking class and cook you delicious food ok.” She said guiltily as she watched me dipped my toast in my milk before shoving it fully into my mouth. “I owe my cute little sister that much.” She teased before reaching out to pinch me.

I drew back instantly and frowned before she could pinch my cheeks. “Not the face!” I cried out.

Tae-ra narrowed her eyes suspiciously and leaned closer. “Why not?” she gasped, “Are you wearing makeup??”

“No!” I denied unconvincing and quickly changed the topic. “Come on; let’s go before we’re late!”

*** ***

“Are you sure you don’t want me to follow you in?” Tae-ra asked for the sixth time since we arrived at the school gates.

I watched as students started streaming into school, some walking and some running. “I’m a hundred percent sure.”

“Ok, fine. Text me when you’re done and I’ll come and fetch you.” Tae-ra said as she unlocked the car doors for me to step out. “Oh and don’t let anyone bully you.”

“I’ll be fine – and stop worrying please!” I laughed as I got out and closed the door. She gave me a thumb’s up and mouthed out ‘Fighting!’ before driving off to work.

I inhaled deeply and expelled my breath from my mouth to gain the confidence I didn’t feel. Clutching my transfer details in my right fist, I strolled through the gates and headed towards the main building. My guess was that the teacher’s office would be in that direction.

Trudging along with my head bent, I listened to snippets of conversation as I passed groups of random students.

“I painted my nails pink last night…I hope they don’t make me remove it.”

“I was grounded during the break – just because I failed all my subjects! Can you believe my parents??”

“So should we meet after school to test out that new tactical game you bought?”

“I made myself extra pretty today so he will notice me. It’s only a matter of time before we start dating.”

I snorted softly at the last comment and slanted a gaze up to see the speaker. Tall, slim and pretty; the speaker was your average vain pot. I guess there will always be one in every school. She was perusing herself with a hand mirror until she caught me staring. I quickly averted my eyes and quicken my footsteps.

Who is that girl? I have never seen her before.” She asked loudly in an arrogant tone.

Must be a new girl.” Her friend squeaked out.

In my haste to escape, I bumped into a male student and heard some students gasp while a few snickered. Apologizing without looking up, I broke into a run all the way to the teacher’s office.

 

Jeon Jungkook

I was in a foul mood that day.

School had reopened after the long break but I wasn’t planning on coming today. I had wanted to sleep in and just spend the day lazing around.

I had no idea he was home. He was supposed to be on a business trip for the whole month, yet the person glaring at me from the foot of my bed was unmistakably my father.

“Aren’t you going to school?” he had asked in an icy tone.

I had mumbled yes and jumped out of my bed instantly. Arguing with my father in the early morning was the last thing I wanted and I wasn’t in the mood to listen to his endless criticism of me.

Refusing the services of my driver, I had decided to take the bus instead but that turned out to be a bad idea since everywhere I looked, there were groups of girls who were either whispering about me or giggling themselves silly while staring at me.

Walking into school with my hands in my pocket, I glared at any student who dared to even look my way and smirked in satisfaction as each one scrambled away hurriedly.

“Jungkook-ah!” someone called out on my right and I turned to see who it was.

Just then a random female student bumped into me and without so much as a glance up, she had apologized before running off. I frowned after her and straightened my blazer in an irritated manner.

“Jungkook-ah!”

I turned back to see Tae-hyung sunbae hurrying towards me with a big grin on his handsome face.

“Oh, hyung…what is it?”

“School has barely started and girls are already tripping for you.” He joked. “I’m jealous.”

I scoffed at him and continued walking towards class. “You can have them. I don’t want any of them.”

“Now, now…you know I never go for girls who are not interested in me.” Tae-hyung reminded me while slipping on a pair of glasses.

I shook my head and clucked my tongue at him. “Wearing glasses will not help your IQ.”

“It does make me look smarter though.” He countered back. “Some of us have to act smart…” he taunted me and I knew exactly what he was referring to. Without even trying, I was easily the smartest in my school and many envied me for it.

I remained silent and walked ahead of him.

“So when are you going to cut this act and start behaving like the old Jungkook again?” Tae-hyung asked as he caught up to me.

“The old Jungkook is gone.” I said bluntly. “Can we not talk about this?” I said in frustration.

“You know that I’ll never give up right? I’ll keep bugging you every day about this. I’m not about to watch my favourite hoobae waste his life this way.”

“Has anyone ever told you to mind you own business?”

“Jungkook-ah, is that any way to talk to your sunbae? Your hyung?” Tae-hyung chided me and draped his arm around my shoulders in a brotherly fashion.

I shrugged it off and stuffed my hands into my pockets. “Cut it out – you’re cramping my style.”

“Bearing the resident bad boy role is a tough act huh.” Tae-hyung grinned. “Fine, I’ll cut you some slack today.” He said while patting me on my shoulder. “Try not to get into any fights until we meet later.”

With a short wave, Tae-hyung bounded off to his own section for seniors in the last building. I shook my head and headed towards my own class. It was a good thing Jimin hyung was not together with Tae-hyung or those two would go tag team on my case and irritate me with their incessant teasing.

I stepped into class and a hush settled over my classmates. Some bore a look of surprise at my appearance while others squirmed nervously in their seats as I strode past them. I groaned in distaste as I took note of my desk partner. Ji-Yoon, the school’s queen bee had somehow managed to finagle her way into getting that seat.

“What are you doing here?” I muttered out as I tossed my bag onto my desk and sat beside her.

She pouted prettily and touched my arm. “I’m your new desk partner!”

I pulled away and stood up abruptly, causing my chair to scrape roughly on the floor before toppling over. She shrunk back in surprise and everyone stared fearfully, curious on what will happen.

“Don’t. Ever. Touch. Me.” I spat out.

Ji-yoon narrowed her eyes in anger, trying not to appear mortified at my actions.

“Alright class, settle down.” Said our homeroom teacher who had walked in unnoticed. “Kang Ji-Yoon, what are you doing there? Get back to your original seat!” The teacher said before nodding to the class monitor to proceed with the greeting.

Ji-yoon stood up in a huff and snatched her bag after her in a tantrum. She showed her displeasure by taking it out on each student she passed, by whacking their heads with her bag while pretending it was an accident.

I sighed in relief and slumped back in my seat. This was going to be a long day.

*** ***

“Jung Kook-ah!” Tae-hyung called out to me from the senior’s lunch table.

I cringe inwardly and decided to ignore him while carrying my lunch tray to the opposite direction. Despite being their junior, Tae-hyung was very adamant that I join them for lunch every day and I could sense that the rest of the seniors were not happy about this situation.

Tae-hyung and I knew each other from middle school and although we both had different tastes and interest, we hit it off and became good friends. He knew a lot about me and stuck with me through thick and thin, taking the role of an older brother. I respected and appreciated him for that.

Yet, there are still times when I wished he would just let me be. Like now.

Not taking the hint, Tae-hyung ditched his classmates and joined me at my table with his own tray. Less than five minutes later, Jimin joined us as well. He twirled his cap and did a fancy move of throwing it and catching it again before taking his seat.

His actions emitted giggles from the table beside us and I could practically hear the girls sighing over Jimin. Oblivious to his admirers, Jimin put on his cap and grinned at me across the table.

“What?” I asked him in a puzzled tone.

“Our little boy is all grown up and has gotten himself a girlfriend…” Jimin nudged Tae-hyung in the ribs causing him to choke on his food.

I in turn, almost spat out the gulp of water I just took. “What did you just say?!”

Jimin twisted his caps backwards and leaned over to whisper. “I heard a rumour you had something going on with…oh damn, I forgot her name.” he tapped his lips with a finger as he pondered on it.

“Ah…you mean with Ji-yoon?” Tae-hyung answered. “That’s not true at all.” He slapped Jimin on the back.

“It’s not?”

“No!” I shot back.

“Oh, sorry. My mistake.” Jimin simply shrugged and began devouring his lunch. “So Jung Kook-ah,” Jimin said in between mouthfuls; “How’s your studies so far? Still failing on purpose?”

I didn’t appreciate the change of topic and my facial expression clearly said so. Tae-hyung grimaced and gave Jimin a slight nudge.

“Aish – I already brought that up earlier today…”

“So?” Jimin frowned.

“So ask him tomorrow.” Tae-hyung hinted.

“But I –“

I stood up abruptly and pushed my tray aside. I had suddenly lost my appetite. Tae-hyung glanced at me in concern.

“I – I need to go to the toilet.” I explained.

“Ok, we’ll wait for –“

“No…no, there’s no need to wait. I’ll go to class directly from there.”

“You sure?” Jimin asked, starting to look worried as well.

I managed a smile and nodded.

I left Tae-hyung and Jimin bickering over whose fault it was and shook my head. Sometimes these hyung’s were too overprotective of me that it was more a curse instead of a blessing.

 

Park Tae-chan

I was one of the last to leave my class for lunch break and I wasn’t really looking forward to entering a cafeteria full of unknown people and not knowing where I was allowed to sit and eat.

Maybe I should just skip lunch and hide somewhere where no one could see me. The last thing I wanted was for people to look at me in pity. Needless to say, I didn’t make any friends during first, second and even third period. All I got was curious stares and whispered insults after introducing myself and walking over to my allocated seat. So much for a fresh start.

The only thing that lifted my spirits for the day was the compliments I received from my homeroom teacher as she went through my records. She was impressed with my grades and even gave me some pointers on how to excel and qualify for the scholarship program I was interested in.

Smiling to myself, I didn’t realise someone was walking out from the boy’s toilet until it was too late. I lost my footing as I bumped into him and helplessly pulled him along as I fell backwards.

He landed on top of me, sparing me the weight of his body as he used his hands to break our fall. Unfortunately for me, I was at the bottom; which meant my head did not escape from getting bumped on the floor.

I had squeezed my eyes shut from the impact and finally opened them to stare into the face of perhaps the cutest boy I had ever seen. He was even cuter than my current boyfriend Kang Jun – did I mention I had a boyfriend? Well I do and he was cute too – and I felt myself blushing from our close contact.

He quickly disengaged himself and stood up, not bothering to even help me up.

“I’m sorry, I –“ I began when he abruptly cut me off.

“Are you blind?!” he scolded me loudly.

Forget what I said about him being cute. This boy was just plain rude.

“I said I was sorry, didn’t I?? It wasn’t like I did it on purpose!” I yelled back and brushed past him angrily before he could say another word.

*** ***

I remained sour faced until last period and my mood didn’t get any better as my sister fetched me from school later that day and we made our way home.

“Everything ok?” Tae-ra asked as we reached home and I dumped my bag pack unceremoniously on the floor.

“Everything is fine.” I bit out, trying to control my annoyance.

“Yeah, whenever I feel fine I keep silent with a sour face as well.” She muttered sarcastically.

I sighed and poured myself a glass of water in the kitchen. “Let’s just say, today wasn’t a good day.”

“Want to talk about it?” she pressed on.

“No thanks. I’ll just shower and go to bed.” I rinsed my glass and put it back on the dish rack before heading to my room.

Flopping myself on the bed, I fished for my phone in my blazer pocket and pulled it out to call Kang Jun. We made a deal to contact each other at least once a day and it was my turn to call him today.

He answered within the first ring and I felt my heart jumped at the sound of his voice.

“Hi.” He said cheerily. “I know we made a deal to call at least once a day…but couldn’t you even text me?”

“Sorry.” I laughed at his whiny tone. “It was a hectic day today.”

“Oh yeah…your new school.” He said. “Met any cute guys?” he teased.

An image of the rude student flashed in my mind but I quickly brushed it off. “None at all.” I lied.

“You sure?” he continued teasing.

“Well, none as cute as you.” I lied again. Damn, what was wrong with me?

He laughed over the phone and I grinned to myself as I pictured his dancing eyes and cheerful smile. I realised that I missed Kang Jun dearly. “So when are you coming to see me?”

“Maybe next weekend?” he suggested. “I’m kind of busy this week with the annual charity dinner project…you are attending this event with me, right?”

Kang Jun was the president of our high school vision club – well, I mean my ex-high school – and he was in charge of this year’s annual charity dinner event. It was a fund raising gala dinner for the orphanage near the school and it was a big deal for him.

“Of course I am.” I assured him.

“Great…” he trailed off suddenly.

“Why, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“How did she…” he muttered a soft curse and I could hear him running down the stairs of his home.

“Kang Jun-ah…?” I called out.

“Sorry,” he finally answered me. “After you left, I got teamed up with that new girl in our class for the English essay project.”

I rolled my eyes as I recalled the amount of research we had done for that essay and was secretly glad that I no longer had to do it. – But what’s this about the new girl? Warning signals sounded in my head but I brushed them aside. The new girl, Hani – I think her name was – was no threat to me. If I remembered correctly, she was the average nerd type; Long hair with thick bangs and big glasses.

“…so she’s been bugging me to meet her every day after school to complete it.” Kang Jun continued. “But I’m too busy right now…!”

“Ok…so what’s the problem?” I asked. “Just tell her –“

“I did!” he groaned in exasperation. “But she’s standing right outside my door now!”

“What?!” I yelled and shot up from my bed in surprise.

“Look Tae-chan ah…I’ll have to call you back later ok.”

“Wait –“

But he hung up before I could say more.

Ugh! I threw myself on the bed. You do not leave a girl hanging after announcing something like that. Now I had no choice but to obsess over what might be happening between them at this very moment.

Shower... I should take a shower, I thought. That might keep my mind off them until he calls me back. I quickly took a shower and even got shampoo in my eyes from my haste. What if he called while I was in the shower? Damn it!

Still dripping wet, I ran out in my towel to check my phone. Nope. No miss calls or even messages. . I cursed and tossed my phone back on the bed. What’s taking him so long?

I dried my hair and tugged on an oversized sweater while keeping an eye out for calls. Still nothing.

Half an hour later, I was ready to murder someone.

Was nothing going to go right today? First was school and now even Kang Jun was torturing me. I decided to go out for some fresh air to clear my head. Peeping out into the hall, I noticed that my sister was nowhere in sight – she wasn’t in her room either.

Ah…she must’ve gone out to that old little café nearby. Ever since we moved here, that café became her regular haunt at night and during the weekends. That was all she ever does. My sister, Park Tae-ra officially doesn’t have a life. It was always work, work, and work for her and then rotting away in cafés with a book to read.

I sighed and hoped I didn’t turn out like her. Since she wasn’t here, there was no need for me to sneak out so I grabbed my wallet and headed out.

The cold breeze played with my hair and I shivered in response. Pulling up the hood of my sweater, I hunched my shoulders against the wind and began my long walk to cool off my anger. Barely ten minutes into my walk and I was already regretting my actions.

It was too damn cold.

Spying a convenience store up ahead, I hurried towards it to get out from the cold.

“Welcome.” the cashier said in a bored tone when I entered.

I gave him a nod and made my way to the hot beverage section. Nothing like a cup of cheap scalding coffee to cure my coldness, I told myself. I paid for my selected coffee and filled it with hot water from the provided dispenser.

I stood at the side counter sipping my coffee while staring at my phone, somehow willing it to ring or beep or whatever. I was so caught up with my thoughts that I almost didn’t register the arrival of another customer at my side.

I gawked in dismay as I saw that he was wearing a school uniform similar to mine. Upon seeing the school badge, I confirmed that it was indeed Chonseol High. I pulled my hood lower in the hopes that he would not notice me and tried my best to remain inconspicuous.

I wasn’t the vain sort, but there was no way in hell that I was going to let any of Chonseol students see me so unkempt and unattractive. Getting insulted throughout the day about my height was enough – I didn’t need to add in ugly as well.

As quietly as I could, I began hedging away from the counter which proved useless as it became the main reason he noticed my presence. He turned his head slightly in my direction and eyed me from top to bottom.

I pretended that I wasn’t aware of his perusal and sneaked a glance at his face as well. Argh! He was wearing a face mask and only his eyes were visible. Why didn’t I think of a face mask too? At least that way I could hide behind it.

There was something about him that seemed familiar…I sneaked another glance but was caught this time. He pushed aside the instant noodle cup that he was preparing and crossed his arms, facing me.

Without speaking, he jerked his head in a threatening move that said ‘what are you looking at?!’ and I instinctively took a step back cautiously. The aura surrounding this student was practically screaming ‘trouble-maker’ and I knew better than to push his buttons.

Not wanting to appear intimidated by him, I blinked a few times as innocently as I could and walked away with a blank expression. The minute I was out of the door, I broke into a run and didn’t look back. Initially I thought he was either wearing the mask for health reasons or to hide his identity but upon closer inspection, I saw that it was to cover up a fight – the bruise under his left eye was no joke and he was most probably sporting a bloodied lip under that mask.

It freaked me out a little that the new school I was attending had troublemakers like him and I prayed and hoped that I would never have to cross paths with him again – whoever he was.

 

Jeon Jungkook

I pulled down my mask to my chin and gingerly touched the cut on my lip, trying not to wince. Catching my reflection in the store window, I groaned aloud and lamented my bad luck.

Of all days, why did they have to pick a fight with me? Why today when my father was home? Couldn’t they have chosen another day?

I sighed and picked up my instant cup noodles. I should have listened to Tae-hyung and Jimin when they told me to meet them after school. Instead I went on ahead and got cornered by the notorious gang of idiots from our high school rival.

Taking them out one by one was no issue. The issue was that I couldn’t go home in this state. Not when my father was home. Hence the need to hide out in a convenience store and survive on instant noodles until the time was right to sneak in the house.

I slowly started slurping on the noodles, careful to avoid the cut part of my lips and it was then that I noticed the still steaming cup of coffee on the counter. It reminded me of the defiant girl who was there minutes ago.

She was clearly afraid of me, yet she reacted as if she wasn’t and had the gall to act all innocent when I confronted her. Next thing I knew she simply waltzed out of the store without a backwards glance. Her actions reminded me of someone I came across earlier that day and I wondered if I was losing my touch since more than one person appeared unaffected by me today.

A faint beep caught my attention and I noticed the phone left on the counter. Picking it up, I saw that there was a message but unfortunately the screen was locked. To my surprise, I realised that the girl on the screen saver picture was the same as the one I bumped into today.

What were the odds? I snickered to myself as I pocketed the phone. Looks like she was intimidated enough by me to even leave her phone behind. Jeon Jungkook the bad boy still has it, I thought to myself.

Suddenly the prospect of school for the coming weeks didn’t seem so dull anymore. Not when I have a new victim to be added on my hit list. Whoever she was, I was going to make her regret on walking out on me not once but twice in a day.