Prologue

Falling For You

I watched in horror as the woman I had called ‘omma’ turned away with an expressionless face and walked out from our house without so much as a smidge of guilt.

You would think that leaving your own children behind would be the hardest thing to do, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with our mom.

Omma wants to take a break and live my own life.” She had said. “I want to find my own happiness.”

Weren’t you happy with us? I was screaming inside. How could you just walk away with the pitiful excuse of wanting to live your life? I thought we were your life?? These thoughts kept running through my head but my mouth didn’t seem to cooperate with me.

Watching as the gap between us widen, I snapped a glance at my older sister who just stood stoically at the doorway. A heated argument had commenced after our mom had revealed her intentions and my sister, Tae-ra was having none of it.

So you’re leaving?” Tae-ra eyed mom in shock.

Yes.” Mom answered without hesitating.

I’m old enough, but what about Tae-Chan?! Doesn’t she still need her mother??” Tae-ra’s voice raised a notch.

I want my happiness.” Mom replied bluntly. “Don’t you want me to be happy??”

Tae-ra stared at her with an incredulous expression. “What??” she cried out. “Then what are we to you – A burden all this time?!?

Mom sighed and picked up her bags. “I knew you’d react this way. You don’t understand me.”

Tae-ra held on to mom’s sleeve and bit out, “If you leave now, don’t you ever come back. – If you choose him over your children, then I will cease to acknowledge you as my family.” She warned.

Mom sniffed haughtily and shrugged away roughly. “Go ahead, chase me out.”

No one is chasing you out. You chose to walk out on us.”

I continued watching as mom got into the car with her new love and drove off without so much as a backward glance.

I leaned heavily against the wall as my legs started to give way from the shock of betrayal. Tears began pouring down my cheeks and I didn’t realise that I was breaking down until I felt the warm and comforting embrace of my sister.

“It’s going to be ok, Tae-chan ah.” She cooed while my hair. “Don’t worry, onni is here – trust me.”

My heavy sobs began to subside as I listened to her calm tone. We were alone now, no mom or dad; only each other. Who else can I trust beside her? Nodding slowly, I returned her hug and prayed that the pain in my heart was temporary and somehow onni and I must find a way to live through this.