Meeting The Rest Of N.E.T

Here To Spy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            It’s been about a week since I got the letter from The Director. Seth and I just arrived in Korea. A middle-aged man greeted us at the airport and he took us to this hotel that we’re in. His name was Song Jae Gu, but he said we could call him Jae. After our introduction, he told us that since it’s late into the night, he’d come back in the morning to pick us up. Then, we’d go to meet the other members of the NET.

            I collapse face down on the satiny bed, feeling exhausted after the 14 hours flight from Northern ia to Seoul. Unfortunately, Seth and I must share a room. The SAI must be on a budget or something, but they could’ve at least gotten a room with two beds. There isn’t even a kitchen…

            “Hey Leah, I want the bed. You can get the sofa,” Seth smiles as he sets down the luggage.

            “Are you kidding? Is that’s how you treat women?” I question, with an irritated look on my face. “Make them sleep on the uncomfortable, lumpy couch?”

            “Come on. It's not that bad. Look.” Seth flops down on the tiny sofa that looks quite old. The thick, curvy lines intertwine with one another, making a sort of ivy-like pattern.

            “There’s a dark stain near your ear,” I say mischievously. I wonder what left the mark on the ugly, pale yellow and puke-green fabric. Seth jumps up from the couch.

            “Ug, really?! What is that?”

            “It’s kind of large. Maybe someone threw up on it. Hehe.” I start jumping on the bed. The metal springs in the bed make squeaky noises.

            “Stop it. You’ll disturb the people under us,” he grabs my hand and pulls, causing me to lose my balance.

            “Seth!” I ungracefully fall on top of him.

            “Your knee! Ow!”

            “Huh?” My knee is pressing down on his groin. “Oh! Sorry.” I quickly get up. “Are you okay?”

            “NO!” Seth stays on his side, .

            “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. Here, get on the bed. You can sleep on there tonight. I’ll take the couch.”

            “If I can’t have kids, I blame you,” he glares at me.

            “I said I was sorry!” He just scoffs and looks away. “Well, I’m going to go take a shower now, Seth.”

            “Okay, I think I’ll shower tomorrow morning. I didn’t get much sleep on the plane, so I’m going to bed now. Just let me brush my teeth before you shower.”

            “All right.” I open up my large, maroon suitcase to find a bag filled with toiletries. Inside are mostly bottles of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, soap, and of course, perfume. I’m obsessed with scented objects. Things like candles and hand sanitizers from Bath & Body Works are my guilty pleasure. I spend way too much money on them, but they can be so relaxing, especially on days before big tests. A bubble bath with sweet-smelling candles strewn across the bathroom can really distress you.

            Seth comes back and taps me on the head.

            “Aren’t you going to change into your pajamas?” I ask while he crawls into bed.

            “Nah, I’m way too ti…”

            “What? Tired?” His eyes were closed and I assume that he’s already asleep. I gather my things and chuckle to myself as I make my way to the bathroom.

            The hot water beats down on my skin, making me realize just how weary I am. Stream swirls around me. My hands massage the shampoo into my long, black hair. I breathe in the tangy smell and sigh contently. I better hurry up and get some rest too. Hopefully, I’ll make a good first impression on the other members of NET tomorrow.  

 

                                                *******************************************

 

            The cold seeps into my silky blanket, the one my mom got for me as a going-away gift. She should’ve bought a blanket with a thicker material. She knows I get cold really easily. I pout shamelessly at the ceiling. Why did I ever let Seth sleep on the bed? I’m such an idiot. My head turns towards his direction. Seth’s silhouette rises and falls rhythmically.

            I gather up my blanket and shamble all the way to his bedside. He wouldn’t mind if I slip under the covers…Right? My head nods, convincing myself that it’s okay. I carefully lift the corner of the cover and snuggle up against his back.           

 

*******************************************

 

            ♪I was the moon. You were the sun. I can’t seem to shine, now that you’re gone.♪

            “Leah? The alarm clock on your phone is ringing.”

            “Eh?”

            “Turn it off.”

            “Okay.”

            I continue to lie perfectly still, refusing to move.  My head hurts a bit and Seth kept kicking me last night.

            ♪Now I’m out of orbit cause you left with no words. Are you somewhere better now? ♪

            “Leah…”

            “Hold on, this is my favorite part.”

            ♪Can you save me now? I get lost up in the clouds. Can you save me now? You were my gravity. ♪

            “Oh my gosh,” exclaims Seth. He reaches over me and turns off the alarm. “Do you always do this?”

            “Do what?”

            I turn to face him.

            “Not turn off your alarm clock or pick up the phone because you like your ringtone so much.”

            “Yeah,” I say sheepishly. I must admit. That happens so many times, mainly the phone scenario. Maybe I should change the ringtone into something more generic…but I really like this song. That’s why I use it for almost everything. Ugh. So many conflicted thoughts!

            “Why is your face like that?”

            Seth imitates my ugly, indecisive expression.

            “Huh? Oh, sorry. It’s nothing.”

            “Why did you have your alarm clock on?”

            “I wanted to be prepared for when Jae arrives. He never told us what time specifically and I didn’t want to call him since he was probably asleep or busy, so...yeah.”

            He nods and looks me right in the eye.

            “Leah…I need to tell you something. Something really important. ”

            He tucks a strand behind my ear.

            “Haha, uh…it feels like we’re in a telenovela…What is it?”

            Could he say what I think he’s going to say? I squirm anxiously.

            “Your breath stinks. I advise that you go brush your teeth immediately,” he says with a poker face.

            “It’s not like yours smell like a field of flowers!”

            He sticks his tongue out at me and smacks my face with a pillow. My hand clutc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter