The Date Incident

Reading Between The Lines

5:32 PM

"So... you're fine," Jongin deadpans, face void of emotion.

Taemin grins sheepishly. "It hurt at the time. A lot. And also, I had to get you over somehow," the smaller dancer says, twirling around the room. "You hardly talked to me for two weeks. I was beginning to think you'd dumped me."

"I... You... You thought I dumped you?" Jongin asks incredulously, and it halfway to articulating the thought that if anyone was going to do any "dumping", it would be Taemin, when he remembers something. "It's Sunday tomorrow."

Taemin stares at him for a while before breaking out into slow claps. "Well done, you know what day it is today...?"

"So," Jongin says slowly, "we're going on a date, aren't we?"

Taemin's face contorts strangely. "Yeah, we are."

The younger frowns, gazing at the other male. "What's wrong? Do you not want to do it?"

"No, it's just..." Taemin trails off, then growls and ruffles his hair in frustration before grabbing Kai's wrist and bringing the tanned male's hand to the bare skin just above his heart.

"Your heart is beating really hard," Jongin says slowly, in awe of the pulsating skin beneath his fingertips. "And fast, too."

"Yeah," Taemin mumbles, face flushing slightly.

"Why?"

"Because... because I'm scared."

"Why are you scared?" Jongin asks, both fearing and anticipating the answer.

"Because I love you."

 



10:21 AM


"Do I look okay?" Jongin asks, for the millionth time in five minutes.

"YES YOU FREAKING LOOK OKAY AND I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU THAT EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU FREAKING ASK ME!" Sehun screams from inside his own room.

"Hey, it's not my fault Luhan-Hyung isn't free tomorrow," Jongin calls, and all noises issuing from Sehun's room cease. "Uh, Sehun?"

An evil aura precedes the lanky male's entrance to Jongin's room, and Jongin will later swear to Taemin that he saw devil horns on Sehun's head and the words "KILL KILL" emblazoned in fire behind the other male. "You. Will. Not. Say. A. Word. About. That. Am I understood?"

"Yes," Jongin squeaks, shrinking back against his mirror. "I'm sorry!"

"Good," Sehun grunts, spinning on his heel and stalking out, slamming the door as he leaves.

 



10:21 AM


"Are you sure this is necessary?" Taemin asks, wincing a little as his hair is pulled.

"Of course it is," Kibum huffs, tugging once more for good measure. "It's your first date. You have to look good and send him reeling. Then you might get to the next base."

"The next..." Taemin repeats slowly, ears blushing a deep red.

"Oh, come on. You're not that innocent, Taeminnie, you know what I'm talking about," the cat-eyed male says, then stops and peers at Taemin's pink face. "Or maybe you know more than you let on. Have you guys kissed already?"

"I... I..." Taemin stammers, his whole face colouring.

"Wow," Kibum remarks nonchalantly. "I didn't know the human face could go that red."

"We kissed... once. And I don't know if he wanted it or not."

"Are you stupid," Kibum monotones. "I've seen the way he looks at you, with that boy it's not a question of when he wants to kiss you, it's when he doesn't want to kiss you."

"That's not true. And what do you mean, the way he looks at me? He doesn't look at me any differently from how you do," Taemin says, twisting around to face the elder.

Kibum stares at the dancer for a minute before saying, "The both of you are so oblivious I begin to wonder how you two are even dating right now."

"I always wonder."

 




2:00 PM

A tanned male stands alone under the largest lamp post around Hoehyeon Station, shielding his eyes against the sun. It is, unfortunately, windy as well as sunny, and as Jongin's coat flaps in the breeze, he doesn't hear the man sneaking up behind him.

"Jongin!" Taemin yells, uncomfortably close to Jongin's ear, and he screams, whipping around and then freezing at the other male's appearance. "Hey. Have you been waiting long?"

"Uhh..." Jongin says brilliantly, mind blank as his eyes take in all of Taemin. "Wow."

Taemin blushes, looking away before he breaks the pregnant pause with, "Not bad, yourself."

"W-well, shall we go, then?"

"Sure," Taemin nods enthusiastically, cheeks still slightly pink. "Where to?"

"Arcade," Jongin begins, counting off on slender fingers. "Then lunch. And then a movie, I don't mind which. After that, the park. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, I don't mind. Anywhere is fine, as long as it's --" Taemin breaks off, and Jongin pauses, looking over at Taemin quizzically.

"It's what?"

"Nothing," the Lee mumbles, blushing down to his collarbones.

 




3:33 PM

"Come on, come on, come on!" Jongin mutters, gripping the joystick tightly.

"Oh, come on, you don't have the skills," Taemin grins, then curses as his avatar falls to the ground. "What?!"

"Yes!" Jongin laughs, jabbing the "SHOOT" button triumphantly. "I'm so good at this!"

"I'm good too!" Taemin protests, desperately pummelling the "SPAWN" button.

"Game over," the tinny, robotic voice says, and bright red letters flag on both boys' screens.

"Wait... what?" Jongin says, staring at his screen. "I lost?"

Taemin gazes at his panel of "YOU WIN" flashing in neon letters in front of him, and a triumphant grin grows on his face before he's standing up, crowing triumphantly. "Ha! You owe me ice cream!"

 



4:34 PM


"You know," Jongin starts, eyes trained on the Lee. "You eat an awful lot but never gain weight. It kinda makes me jealous."

"It's not my fault I have high metabolism," Taemin mumbles around a mouthful of ramyeon; his third bowl. "It's really annoying when I get tired after dancing."

"Huh," the tanned male says, then switches his attention to attempting to eat as delicately as he can.

"So," he says after a while. "What were you going to say earlier?"

"When, earlier?"

"You know," Jongin huffs, throwing his voice up to a slightly higher octave. "When you said... something like... "As long as it's--" and then you stopped."

Taemin blushes, flicking his fringe forwards so that it partially hides his face. "I told you, it was nothing."

"Uh-huh."

"Seriously!"

"No, no, I believe you. Totally."

 



6:35 PM


A woman screams, a high-pitched shrill piercing through the darkened theatre, and Jongin shrinks back into the velvet seat, sneaking a glance over at Taemin and doing a double take as Taemin's eyes light up with an amused grin at the slaughtering happening onscreen. "Are you... enjoying this?" Jongin whispers, just before the axe falls and the dancer lets out a particularly unmanly squeak.

"Of course," Taemin says, staring at Jongin as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. "Aren't you?"

"Uh..." Jongin mumbles, glancing at the screen. "I guess...? It's terrifying, but enjoyable."

"There you go," Taemin grins, returning his attention to the movie, and Jongin sighs and shifts in his seat so that he can watch Taemin's smiles.
 



7:36 PM

When the two emerge from the theatre, it's to a starry sky and cool winds, and Jongin in the fresh air before letting it out in a burst of deoxidised air. "Where to now?" Taemin asks, and Jongin grins, pointing in the general direction of the park. "Sounds good."

As they walk in comfortable silence, Jongin's hand somehow finds its way out of his pocket and towards Taemin's hand, and after a miscalculated step brings the Kim's hand on a collision course with Taemin's, the younger spins away, shouting, "Sorry!"

Taemin looks at the taller strangely before replying, "It's fine, Jongin."

As the boy in question mentally curses himself for being such a klutz, you're a dancer! you're supposed to be graceful! the elder sinks elegantly down to sit cross-legged at the roots of an old tree and pats the grass beside him. After it sinks in that oh my god I'm going to sit with Taemin, the two sit in the semi-darkness, listening to the chirping of the crickets and the breathing of the other, and it's comfortable.

Boom.

"What was that?" Taemin shouts, jerking upright and looking around.

Jongin gets to his feet and peers through the trees, searching for something, anything before boom and there's a flash of light and sparks fly from somewhere in the distance. "Fireworks," Jongin breathes, and then shouts it in his excitement. "Fireworks!" And then he's grabbing Taemin's hand and pulling said boy to his feet and then they're running and running and running, down roads and across busy street crossings, yelling hasty apologies when they bump into people and then they're running again, down alleyways and round corners until the only things they can hear are their heaving breaths and laughter, and now they're running up flights of stairs in a building that they know is always open towards the roof, and then, when Taemin shouts over the wind whipping around their ears, "As long as it's with you!", Jongin thinks that this was the best day he's ever had.

 

 


 

 

Well.

I do have an excuse.

I am aware that I told a few of my readers that this chapter would be

I'm very sorry.

I simply think that writing their first time now as a bonus chapter would make the actual first time confusing, and so I ask that you forgive me.

And now. 

I hope you enjoyed their date as much as I enjoyed writing it! 

This is what I imagine Taemin's hair to be like.

and his clothes: 

yikes. lotta skin.

(drools over his arms)

oops.

and Jongin's: 

tadaaaaaa

and now the dose of taekai gifs.

here you go.

they're so

omg i can't

they're so cute i cri

and, just so I know if anyone actually reads these, 

(this is also your payment for a comment btw)

 


 

BONUS: What Dreams Are Made Of

8:00 PM

They burst out into the night air in a flurry of coats and laughter and awed exclamations at the coloured explosions bursting above them, Taemin dancing away and leaning on the railing to see the lights, then climbing up to balance on the railing. "Be careful," Jongin's about to say, but the words die as they attempt to soar from his mouth and instead crash-land at his feet. For Taemin is weightless, leaning out into the starry sky with a smile that not even gravity could chastise, and so Jongin smiles and joins Taemin at the edge of the building so he can see the fireworks reflected in the dark chocolate-brown of Taemin's irises.

And when the last of the fireworks explodes in a supernova of brightly coloured sparks, the two flop back onto the roof, breathless giggles filling the night that lies between them until those too die away and laughter becomes panting breaths, mingling in the space between their bodies, and their fingers just AUTOMATICALLY twine together and their bodies act on some long-suppressed instinct, turning each to face the other, and bringing their lips mere millimetres apart from each other before Jongin finally musters the courage to lean in and kiss Taemin.

Kissing Taemin is something along the lines of heaven, Jongin thinks as he pulls away momentarily to allow oxygen to gain access to their lungs before he dives back into the sea of passion and euphoria that threatens to both drown and keep as their lips move as if they've been doing this for centuries. Kissing Taemin is like how he imagines flying, with the indescribable feeling of weightlessness and the elation that sears through his veins as he brushes past the cotton candy clouds, shaking the sky from his hair before falling back into a nosedive into the whirlwind of longing. Kissing Taemin is akin to time manipulation, as the world grinds to a halt before spinning back into motion, faster and realer than it ever was before but then so, so slowly, gradually stopping once more so that they can pull apart just before the world speeds up again and their lips collide together in a burst of sparks. Kissing Taemin is all this and more, and Jongin thinks to himself that maybe this feeling is what dreams are made of.
 

 


 

and there you have it!

I hope you liked that last bit!

Please let me know what you thought in the comments!

Also, I wanna know if I should continue the picture/gif spam, so give me your opinion on that too, please!

Ok bye hope you enjoyed leave me a comment!

~KimSeRin