The Job Incident

Reading Between The Lines

12:36 PM

"Tables five, twenty-five, eight and twenty need menus!" Kibum, Taemin's manager calls, and the dancer scrambles up and out into the café, where a group of customers have just come in. He collects a stack of menus and rushes to the tables, setting them down at the tables before he's waved over by a customer who looks strangely familiar.

"Sehun!" Taemin exclaims, recognising the boy sitting opposite the small, Chinese-looking customer. "And who's this?"

"Taemin-Hyung, this is Luhan-Hyung. He's a transfer student from China," Sehun says, glancing at the other boy. "I didn't know you worked here."

"I work here part-time," Taemin grins, then turns to Luhan. "Nice to meet you, Luhan-ssi." Luhan smiles and bows, and Taemin turns back to Sehun. "Where's Kai?"

"He went to see a friend of his," Sehun says vaguely.

"Ah, okay. What would you like to order then?" Taemin asks, and, as always, is shocked by the amount of food the skinny boy orders. Luhan isn't a picky eater either, it seems, judging by the amount of food he orders, and Taemin hurries off to the kitchen to relay the orders.

 


 

2:14 PM

It's finally silent in the café, and Taemin has some time to think. He thinks about Sehun and his Chinese friend (who also happens to share the same unhealthy love of bubble tea as the skinny blonde), and that leads to thinking about Kai, and then because Taemin's still in his uniform, he thinks about the first time he saw Kai in the café.

 



10 July 2013

Matchy Café, Daegu


"Welcome to Matchy Café!" Taemin calls as the bell by the door rings, a call that is quickly taken up by other waiters and waitresses in the café. Scooping up two menus, he catches a falling cup and places it quickly on the table from which it came, then resumes his journey to table 5, where a strangely familiar figure is sitting down.

"How may I serve you, sir?" Taemin asks automatically, then does a double take as the person turns around. "Kai?"

"I'll have - oh, Taeminnie!" Kai exclaims. "I didn't know you worked here!"

"Me either," Taemin jokes, then sobers as Kibum throws him a look-sharp glare. Straightening, he smooths back a lock of hair and dons his "sharp" expression, gazing at Kai expectantly. Kai gazes back, grinning, and Taemin almost gets lost in Kai's smile before Kibum's glare surfaces in Taemin's head again and the Lee shakes himself, resuming his expectant gaze. Kai's grin widens still and Taemin fights the urge to look away from the sight, look sharp! and continues his stare. Kai tilts his head slightly, smiling in a hopeful way, and Taemin's "sharp" look poofs away.

Ah, crap.

"Well," Kai chuckles. "I'll have a banana cake set, please. And coffee."

"Right away!"

 



2:39 PM


Taemin snaps back to reality as Kibum claps his hands in front of his face. "Oi, oi," the feline-eyed male says, flicking Taemin's nose affectionately. "It's the end of your shift. Or do you not want to go home?" The Lee scrambles up, grabbing his hat in the process, and almost falls over his own feet in his haste. "Honestly, the way you always run out, it's as if you want to be rid of me," Kibum huffs, blowing upwards so his bangs flip up. 

"Sorry hyung, I've gotta go!" Taemin calls over his shoulder, snatching his satchel up as he runs out. 

"Your favourite customer is here," Kibum yells back, and Taemin can almost hear the disdainful turn of his lip. The older male had always been like a mother to Taemin, and so Taemin grins once before he's remembering what he'd done the previous day.

Oh, gods.

What if he doesn't like me? What if I read the signs wrong? What if I forced the kiss on him? 

It was my first kiss too...

Oh, but it was good...

No! Back to the problem! 

Now that I think about it... He wasn't really showing signs of liking me... Oh my god, what if he hates me now? No, but then he wouldn't be here... But what if he's here to reject me? He did run off afterwards... But I did push him out... Oh no, I pushed him out! Into the rain! What if he got sick? What if...

2:47 PM

Taemin's somehow made it out the back door of the café and is in the middle of hitting his head repeatedly against the brick wall when he hears tentative footsteps and whips around, eyes adjusting to the light before Kai comes into vision. The pale-skinned male squeaks, looks around wildly like a cornered animal, and then snaps his gaze back to Kai, eyes wide and fearful. Kai takes a few steps forwards, and Taemin takes the same number of steps back in a strange imitation of a dance, until Taemin's back hits the wall of the alleyway. "Taemin?" Kai says uncertainly, and the boy in question sinks down so he's crouching, lifting his bag in front of his face. "Taemin?" the tanned male says again.

"I'm not here right now," Taemin mumbles, lifting his bag higher to shield his burning face. "Please leave a message after the beep."

"Taemin-" Kai tries again.

"Beep," Taemin squeaks, and closes his eyes as if waiting for a blow.

The Kim stares disbelievingly at the ball of bag and Taemin before seeming to realise that the smaller male isn't going to do anything else, and so Kai takes a deep breath and begins. "Okay, so you're probably regretting every single second of ki - ki - ki - it, but I just wanted to let you know that... uh... I feel the same way as you do. Or did, I guess," Kai says, scratching his neck.

Taemin's still for a little while before the bag comes away from his face and a very red, very embarrassed Taemin is staring an equally red, equally embarrassed Kai right in the eyes, and then, with the grace of a true dancer, Taemin stands up and wraps trembling arms around a shocked Jongin's waist. "I... I... I l-l-lo-lo-like you too," Taemin murmurs, squeezing his eyes shut.

"I l-l-lo-lo-like you too," Kai teases, surprised at his own calmness as he brings his arms up to hug Taemin back. 

 

 


OMFG

THIS IS

THAT IS

EVERYTHING IS

*dead*

I'm sorry Tae

meanwhile 

TaeKai is life don't lie you're glad I gave you this

Payment enough for a comment?

No?

ugh

jk I love you guys

uhh....

wait...

*rummages through my secret stash of hidden camera shots  normal photos*

they legit look like they're on a date you're welcome

Ok bye hope you enjoyed leave me a comment!

~KimSeRin