Chapter 4 : Confession / Departure

Remember Me

We had our bonding. I confessed my gratitude and apologized to Mom and Sonia, also telling how lucky I am to have a wonderful niece as Daya. I was sure my face has turned crimson red more than a dozen times that day. There were a few awkward seconds here and there since I was never great with words but for today, I'll let that problem slide.

Just this once. 

After all, who knows when will be the next time I get to talk with my family freely like this.

In the future, if I ever think back to this moment, I'll probably cringe in embarrassment.

By the time the clock struck 8.30 pm, Sonia and I were already outside, loading my luggages into the car's trunk and preparing to leave. Sonia will be sending me all the way to the airport. Mom could only send me until the car. She's not in the greatest condition to walk outdoors, especially in this cold night just to send me away.

Daya was, however, being unusually stubborn. She was clinging to my feet and refused to stay home with her Grandma, even begging for us to take her with us. It's not that we dont want her to follow, but Daya's an easy crier. She'll wail if she sees me walking away into the departure gate. In other word, leaving her behind. And driving while taking care of a crying child is very dangerous. I don't want to cause anymore trouble when Sonia's already that exhausted.

A short yet stern warning from her Mommy somehow had the girl let go of my leg. After some promise made about me calling her if I've got the time, she finally calm down but still reluctant to let me go. 

I hugged Mom tightly, followed by - the sulking - Daya, and said my last goodbye before climbing the car. When the car had started, I made the worst mistake by turning towards Mom and Daya because the moment I did, I was meeted by Mom's glassy eyes.

Right then, right there, I wanted to just jump into the drivers seat and have the car on it's fastest speed so I wouldn't see her break down.

Mom, Sonia, Daya and I were always together, so of course Mom will get extra emotional seeing one of her girls leaving her, even if it's not a permanent leave.

Driving took us 20 minutes to reach London International Airport. Everyone except the twins and Clare has arrived. Abby ran straight up to me, briefly hugging me as if we had known that long, her eyes was focussing on somewhere else.

I followed her gaze, to where Sonia was having a talk with Mdm. Irene and Mr. GabrielAbby whispering something into my ears. "Is that your sister?"

"She's gorgeous. No wonder Mr. Gabriel look awestruck."

It wasn't the first time I had heard this, but it still made me fidget uncomfortably. 

Sure, anyone with eyes can see the expression Mr. Gabriel was giving my sister. I admit. My sister was still breathtakingly beautiful and have a good figure. But was that it?

I saw Sonia gestured me to come over. "I have to leave. Daya's probably waiting for me."

I was about to reply her when we were interrupted by a voice. "Who's Daya? Another of your sibling? I didn't know you had many siblings, Jane. How old is she?" Mr. Gabriel curiously asked. Only then did I realized that he has been standing there all this while.

"Oh, no. She's my five year old daughter." Sonia said like the proud mother she was.

Mr. Gabriel looked shocked when he heard the word 'daughter', then he narrowed his eyes in a playful manner. One I'd seen plenty of times before. The you've-got-me look. 

He thinks she's joking.

I sent my sister back to the parking lot with a comfortable silence surrounding us. Before she climb into the car, she turned around and embraced me in a warm hug. "Be nice. Don't cause trouble." 

"I'm not a kid." I retorted and we both laughed a second later.

When we calmed down, she continued. "I'm gonna miss you." Her eyes was filled with gentleness. 

"Me too." 

"See you in two months, sis." I waved at her as she shifted the car into drive. 

Just then, a black limousine pulled up and the twins came out. It was a good timing since I didn't want to be seen standing out there all alone and frozen in place. "Jane! What are you doing here? Were you waiting for us? Oh! Was that your sister? Aww.. We should have hurry. I wanted to meet her before we leave. Did she said anything for me? I bet she did...." Kendra rambled on and on as I continued to ignore her.

Noah managed to send me a wink before he and another butler went to take the trolleys for the luggages. Their mother, who also tagged along, walked towards us and pulled me into my sixth hug for the day.

Their mother was skinny, but not in a good way. More in a desperate, pitiful kind of way. I feel like wanting to feed her the box of macarons I have. A tight yet elegant shirt clung to her obviously lifted bosom, and a trendy designer jeans hung on her bony hips. 

She's hanging onto her youth.

With her arms around me, I feel like she was sizing me. Her hands were roaming around my back and waist area. The short moment felt like a torture, so I broke the weird hug, even scooting away until there was an awkward distance between us. But the ends of her fingertips still lingered near my sides and arms.

Would it be rude if I pushed them away?

I didn't miss the look she gave me, especially her eyes. - Was that envy? - Her shoulders were tense and she seemed mad. Furious even. Whatever was in her mind must have been vile. She looked down to compare her body to mine as she let out a huff of dissatisfaction. The smile on her face long gone.

It's probably a good thing she never meet Sonia.

 

"Is everyone here?" Mdm. Irene asked and an audible 'yeah' was heard. Each of us were seated at our own place as we get ourselves comfortable inside the plane we'll be spending in for the next eleven hours.

I sat next to a window. My hands on my lap trembled in fear something went wrong. What if the plane had a problem and we suddenly crashed into the ocean? That happened before right? 

Have I always been this paranoid? I really need to stop it with these negative thoughts. I'm not doing any good other than scaring myself to death.

I feel like I had forgotten something. I wanted to just leave the plane and go home, to my family. It was funny though. Just a few hours ago, I was sure I was ready to leave. Now, I feel empty, like I was suddenly being abandoned. 

But the truth was, I was the one who had just abandoned my own family.

Like I had said before, we were always together. Always to the point I'm starting to take them for granted at times. Most times.

I looked out the window as I took a few deep breaths. I didn't realize the plane had started to move. My insides were churning like crazy and my mind was a total mess. I was nervous but couldn't help to feel a little thrilled. 

Maybe, just maybe, these two months of not having them near was a good idea after all. I could learn new things, be more indipendent, meet new people and live a life for once. 

By living a life, it doesn't mean getting myself into serious trouble. That would be the last thing I would do.

Well, South Korea. Here I come.