Chapter 1 : The Last Morning

Remember Me

I jumped when my toast popped up from the toaster.

"A bit on the edge this morning, are we?" Mom said, buttering her toast.

"Nah. It's just quiet in here, and the toaster just cant seem to give any warning." I plucked the toasts out with my fingertips after making sure it wont burn me, and placed them onto a plate.

She gently patted my back as she brought her plate to the kitchen table. Mom wore a turquoise broderie anglaise dress that hung down to her knees. Her greying hair was tied up into a loose bun. Looking at her was kind of looking into my future. Other than the hair, we both shared the same features and petite frame.

She glanced up from her plate. "Nervous?"

"I'll be fine." I assured her. Though it was more to assuring myself.

Mom sighed in reply. She stood up from her chair and went into the kitchen, but not too far to ask another question"Is Sonia still sleeping?"

"No. She's giving Daya a bath."

My family and I live in an ordinary london brick house on the main drag in East London. 

My mother work as a writer while my older sister's an interior designer. I'm in my last year of college, taking up photography as my main course. Our family has quite the art genes. Even little Daya was good in crayons and pencils. I just wish she knew someone out there had created a material called paper that we can use to draw on, instead of doodling on the wall.

Nevertheless, she's still a lovely kid.

My phone buzzed in the pocket of my jeans, and I slid it out. A text from Kendra Addison

Noah and I are near. Want a ride?

Mom peared behind me and took a peek. "Who's that?"

"Just the twins. They said they're around here."

"Invite them in."

I sighed softly before typing back. The tone in her voice tells me that it was more for a command rather than a simple request.

Mom invited you inside.

"That Noah boy, do you like him?" she suddenly asked, grabbing the teapot and poured herself and me each a cup of newly brewed jasmine tea. I scoffed, "Where did you get that idea from?"

Steam rose from my teacup, trailed up into the air, and dissapeared.

Her eyebrows raised up and her eyes stared into mine deeply.

Almost all mothers are busybodies, always wanting to know every detail of their children's life. I get that. I was glad that Mom wasn't one of those distant, unloving mothers who didn't care enough to bug her kids with endless questions regarding their life. But everyone has something they want to keep private, even with the person who had gave birth to them.

And after all that talking session, I thought she realized that her questions will remain unanswered until that day I will willingly share it myself.

Seems like she didn't get the hint at all.

"He seems interested in you."

 Another text came before I could let out another scoff.

Okay. We're outside.

I pulled back the white lace curtain and peeked out the window. Sure enough, Noah's silver Mercedes was out there. Two figures came out from inside the car. I gulped the last of my tea and then walked to the living room to greet the guest.

Suddenly, a little girl hopped down the last step of the stairs and ran pass me towards the front door just seconds after the bell rang.

"Oh! Daya! How is my favorite niece doing?"

Daya grinned cutely when greeting both Kendra and Noah.

Kendra wore a blue chambray shirt and a brown burberry shearling coat with fur trim. A three inch stilletos adored her feet and her blonde hair was braided. On the other hand, Noah was wearing denim jeans and a flannel sweatshirt. His hair messy as usual.

Kendra was the first person I had made when we first moved into the area. I lost my way at the street on my second day and meet her at a bakery shop. Coincidentally, we are of the same age. Since then we stuck to each other like gum.

Correction, she stuck to me like gum.

"Hey, Jane! Are you ready for tonight!?" She bear hugged me as soon as she spotted me and was practically screaming her words. "Well aren't you excited?" I asked back, laughing amusedly.

"She's been like that the whole week." Noah informed in the deep voice of his. "If it wasn't because she's my sister, she'd be on the hospital bed right now."

"Is that how you're supposed to talk to a girl?"

 

"Jane, dear! Invite them for breakfast." Mom shouted my name from the kitchen.

"What's on the menu?" 

"Mom made fried rice." My sister, Sonia answered.

"Uwah! Auntie's fried rice are my favorite!" I - secretly - rolled my eyes as I remembered Kendra saying the exact same thing when Mom made spaghetti last month and curry, the month before.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not really fond of Kendra. Ever since the first my eyes meet hers at that bakery shop - which I'm currently avoiding after knowing it's her favourite place -, my heart have been giving me these weird feelings. Something about her always make me feel like throwing up my meals. I don't know just what it is and why. For five years, I tried to be as friendly as possible but my feelings never changed.

Was it because she's a bit fake? Nah, fake described me better.

Clingy? Also no. I have no problem with clingy people. Daya had proven that for me.

 

While Kendra and Noah helped themselves with Mom's cooking, I went to my bedroom upstairs to take my bag. I didn't realize a small body was following me around and was startled when I heard a sweet voice.

"Auntie?"

"Daya! What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with Mommy?"

"I wanted to talk to you. Can I come in?"

"Of course. Come here." I said while patting my lap. I was sitting on my single bed with my laptop and camera next to me. 

"Where will you be going?" Daya asked with her eyes fixed onto the grey, large sized luggage and a duffle bag on the floor near my study table.  "Mommy said you'll be leaving tonight. But she didn't tell where."

"Just somewhere. Why? Are you gonna miss me?" My lips curved into a smile as I anticipated for her answer. 

"Mhmm.... Who's gonna read me stories before I sleep?"

I failed in holding my giggles as I back hugged this adorable pouting kid. "Granny can do it in my place." I placed her down onto the carpet so I can easily pack my laptop.

"It wont be the same... I wish you wouldn't leave..." I heared her mumbled. My expression turned solemn. Even I wished that I won't have to leave.

"...-away?"

Daya's question managed to make me snap out of my trace. "What?" 

"How long will you be away?" She repeated her question.

"O-Oh. For t-two m-months?" I blinked rapidly and panicked as Daya's face scrunched up. By the time she opened her cute tiny mouth, I'm already infront of my wardrobe which was four large steps away from my bed.

 

I said my goodbye to Mom - while still ignoring her give-that-boy-a-chance look -, slung my handbag over my right shoulder and darted down the porch steps. I wore a white chiffon dress under a grey boucle coat with jeans and a pair of flat knee-high boots. On the way, I gave a quick bow to my grumpy 74 year old neighbour, Antonette who we usually just call Onet. 

Knowing how Onet was, she will probably complain to my Mom and the other neigbours on how rude I - on behalf of all the teenagers in the world - have become if I didn't at least show some respect to her.

Every neighbourhood needs the annoyingly picky types. 

Noah has already reached his car with Kendra trailing behind him.

While Kendra and I have a one-sided friendship, Noah and I have a one-sided crush - 'cause I would never call attraction as love -. We were both introduced by Kendra a week after I settled in my new school. 

A few years ago, we barely had any conversation apart from his "Hi," and "Where's Kendra?". But recently he has been a bit too friendly. From what I remember when chatting with Kendra once, Noah took up courses regarding computer programming while she went for fashion designing.