Chapter 2 : Just why?

Remember Me

"To what do I owe this honor?" I asked casually after buckling my seatbelt and dropped my bag on the carpeted floor. They let me climb into the passenger seat. "Honor?" Noah asked back while fiddling with the radio.

"Mr. and Ms. Addison picking me up for a ride inside their precious Mercedes." I explained.

He chuckled. "Well, Ms. Addison over there wanted to buy some last minute stuffs, so she thought and said 'Why not pick up Jane along the way since we will pass her house'." 

From the back seat, Kendra smacked her brother's head with a rolled up magazine. "You were the one who thought that. Don't drag me into your hopeless love life!"


The twins and I walked into the meeting hall, which the wall was painted in a lovely shade of azure blue. Aaron Grey, Gerald Hans and Nicholas Lane called Noah over to the other side of the hall - or should I say the boy's area -. Abigail 'Abby' Roche and Clarity 'Clare' Harrison smiled towards Kendra and I while gestured the row behind them. Not far from where I choose to settle down was Mallory Watson. Seems like we were the last one to arrive. 

All together, there are nine of us in the hall. Five females and four males.

Minutes later, Mr. Gabriel Kaiser and Mdm. Irene Evans, the two people in charged entered of us for the next two months.

Some professors also came to remind us about our main reason for the leave. They said things along the line; "You are not going for fun, you have responsibilities to do," or "Focus when you need to focus, and play when you can play," as well as "Dont dissapoint us". 

The usual stuffs.

The 1 hour briefing was for us to confirm our informations and to hear the lectures. We also went through the check list again to make sure nothing important was forgotten. As Mdm. Irene had quoted, "There's nothing worse than arriving at the hotel and finding you have forgotten your favourite pajamas".

We walked out from the hall at 10 am. Kendra, Clare and Abby were busy discussing about what they'd be wearing later. Instead of joining them, I went to my locker, spun the dial and started knocking of the numbers. Mallory came beside me since our locker was just right beside each other. I smiled to her and she smiled back.

Well, at least we communicated.

Mallory Watson was a quiet girl. No friends that I knew of. She kept to herself, eyes cast down at all times, and never spoke unless spoken to. Not much information about her. It's as if she was a mystery. The first time I met her was during our first briefing about this exchange student program, a month or so ago. 

If I was given a chance, I would love to be her.

All of us in this campus were categorized into two different crowd, the well-known or the unknown.

Unknown here doesn't mean they are invisible or bullied or boring or anything. It all depends on ones popularity. For example; if more than half of campus people doesn't know your name nor your existance, you are immediately labeled as an unknown and vise versa.

Noah, Kendra, Aaron, Clare and I were in the well-known crowd. The twin's because they had money; Daddy let them buy nice cars and clothes, and Mommy looked the other way when they wanted to throw parties in their huge mansion. 

Aaron is the campus's athlete slash hearthrobe while Clare was a genius. Literally. Me, reason mainly because I was borned with black hair. Here, those who has natural black hair automatically joined the well-known crowd.

Don't ask why.

Nicholas, Gerald, Abby and Mallory, however, were some from the unknown ones.

On their first meeting, Kendra, Clare and Abby somehow clicked together. I came to realize that - for the first time in the past five years - Kendra's attention wasn't solely on me.

And I liked it. 

Maybe because the three of them have the same interest. Fashion.

Oh.. And K-pop.

Knowing Kendra Addison is a fan of K-pop is like knowing one plus one equals to two.

She first discovered the 'music of her life' three years ago after visiting some random website. There were times she even forced me to join her into the K-pop fandom. Maybe my physical was with her but my mind went on a trip to Uranus.

She think I would be heads over heels with them as well just because she knows I'm a full asian.

That didn't mean anything, though. 

 

Kendra, Clare and Abby marched up to me when I was standing alone in front of a vending machine outside the building, still choosing what to drink. The trio wasn't really looking at where they were going, since they were too focused watching something from Kendra's ipad.

"He is so hot," Abby stated while fanning her face with her hand. Abby mirrored her action. "I know right. It's as if he just came out of some manga." "Jane! You've got to see this!" Kendra shoved her ipad directly infront of my face.

Oh, boy. Here we go again...

It was a commercial about men's shaving razor. Out of all thing, why does it has to be about razor? The guy was splashing his face with tap water coolly, which is normal for these kind of theme yet disturbing at the same time.

They were expecting me to jump up and down and squee and giggle about how smokin hot this male - which name I don't know - was, but that won't happen. 

Ever.

Who is he anyway? I dont even follow any K-pop groups. Let alone watch K-dramas. The only korean groups I knew of and actually listen to was 4Men. 

I sighed inwardly, pushed her ipad down and smiled to show that at least I enjoyed watching it. If there was anyone who Kendra really trusted on, that would be me. Although I don't really know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. 

I noticed that Kendra must had recently purchased a new ipad because it was new and when the last time I saw Kendra's ipad, the screen was damaged with six long scratches all over it in different directions. When I asked, she told me that her cat played with it but I doubt she was telling the truth since she's afraid of those little felines.

She's a terrible liar.

 

According to the schedule given to us, we must be at the London International Airport at 9 pm sharp. That means I have eight more hours. What's there left to do?

I decided to walk around the shopping mall just to see if something caught my eyes. I ended up inside the electronic store at the accessory section to see if I could buy any product for my camera.

Suddenly, a hand landed on my shoulder.

I  startled and looked up to meet a male's playful smirk. "Nicholas?"

"That's me. Fancy meeting you here. Jane, right?" Nicholas Lane said.

"Yeah?"

"What are you doing here?" he asked casually.

"Just checking out things." 

"Cool. I just came since, you know, this will be my last for the next few months. And, oh! Did you know that the sushi shop here..." And there he goes blabbering about stuff I wouldn't even think twice of.

Before leaving the mall, I bought three boxes of macarons, one for my family and the other two for us to munch on inside the airplane. While walking home, I took my time sightseeing. 

In just a few more hours I'll be leaving the country I had grown to love over the years for the country I want to forget. shivered as cold wind hit me. Winter is near so chilly evenings were normal.

It's a pity since I wont be spending the two cold months here, with my family.

I sighed. How did I ended up in this mess in the first place? Kendra could just go with the others. Why does she have to be a baby and drag me along? What does she think I am? Her babysitter?

On second thought, the possibilities for her to think that I am her personal maid is quite high... That girl.

What have I done to deserve this?

Guess I'll just have to go on with it. Unless something happened and I got a fractured bone or a broken limb, there's no turning back now, is there?