#025 - FORGET

The Heart Beats - TAEMIN/NAEUN ONE-SHOTS COLLECTION
Title: Forget
Author: girlnamediandra
Fandom: We Got Married
Characters: Lee Taemin, Son Naeun
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I don’t own them, if I do, they’ll be dating now and being the hottest idol couple EVER!
Summary: Naeun hears All About You for the first time...
 
 
 
“Here…”
 
Naeun lifted her head from her phone and found a cup of hot chocolate in front of her. Hayoung held the cup right under the nose and the sweet smell of chocolate assaulted Naeun’s nose. She reached for it and wrapped her fingers around the warm cup. She folded her legs in front of her and leaned back onto the sofa. Hayoung turned off the light and sat next to Naeun. The TV in front of them played the intro of KBS Gayo Daechukje. This year they couldn’t go as a group, only Eunji who went there to perform. 
 
“Eunji eonni’s not gonna perform until the second half, right?” Hayoung sipped through her own hot chocolate. 
 
“I don’t know. She said she’s gonna tell us when it’s her turn…” Naeun answered absentmindedly. Her eyes fixed to the TV screen and there he was. 
 
She saw him a lot this year, especially when they had comebacks at the same time. When they were dating, they ignored each other during the music shows or end-year music festivals. They didn’t want to risk anything or anyone to know about their relationship, not when Naeun had the most haters out of their relationship. He couldn’t risk it, so he acted like he didn’t know her at all. And when they broke up, it continued. 
 
It was still too painful to think about their break up. It wasn’t like they cheated on each other or letting another person coming into their relationship. It was their work, who made them apart. They were so busy, they barely had time even for themselves. So it was natural their relationship falling out. Guilt and regret consumed her for months. They should had talk it over, instead of fighting all the time and the fight ended up with two of them saying things that they weren’t meant to say. 
 
They went their separate ways. Taemin with his solo project and SHINee, she with Apink and her acting project. She was doing just fine and having the girls around her and cheering her up every day certainly helped a lot. She finally believed that she had moved on and finally able to find another love in her life, until he released his second solo album and his self-composed song called Soldier was in that album.
 
She knew that song by heart. It was one of his self-composed songs he showed her during their time together. He sang it to her so many times, trying and trying to perfect it because he wrote it based on what he was feeling towards her but everytime, he failed because he was so distracted by her and preferred to spend his time with her. The fact that he finished the song and included it into his album stirred something inside her. How could she move on when he was still doing things like that?
 
He didn’t even talk to her, ignoring her whenever they met in music shows, to the point where she stopped bowing and greet him. It was childish but she was hurt because of his rejection. The only way she survived on music shows & festivals was putting her best poker face. 
 
“Your ex wearing so little clothes these days...” Hayoung’s voice brought her back to present. 
 
“Huh? What?”
 
Hayoung stared at her intensely. “Just text him, eonni…"
 
“You’ve been glued to your phone since this afternoon, and you insisted on watching KBS Gayo live tonight, which is weird because in the past, you always waited for the uploaded ones. And don’t use the Eunji eonni excuse, because I saw you crying earlier while listening to Soldier again…”
 
Naeun blushed and pushed on Hayoung that she almost spilled her chocolate. 
 
“Hey!” Hayoung protested while quickly balancing her cup and set it on the floor next to her. “I don’t want to clean the floor again…”
 
“It’s your fault!” Naeun pouted.
 
“How is it my fault?” Hayoung pursed her lips. 
 
“Yeah.. like that…” Naeun was at loss of words. Her eyes glued to the TV screen, showing the last bit of Taemin’s Press It performance. He was so different from the first time they met from WGM. Now he was so manly, and she couldn’t believe how much he had grown up and improved himself over the past few years. It was unnerving, at least for her. She couldn’t approach him with confidence now, especially he did so amazingly nowadays. She was only an Apink member, who was fighting for her existence in the industry right now. How did she ever think that she was good enough for him? Even then, she knew she wasn’t worth it. But she loved him, she loved him so much to let him go. But it was in the past now. All she had to do now was to forget. 
 
When her phone chimed with message notification today, she opened it without hesitation. She figured it was from her school friend, asking her about their meet up tomorrow. But when she opened it, his name flashed brightly on her phone screen. It wasn’t a text message, instead he sent her an audio file. She was afraid to open it because she knew what it was. Back when they were still dating, he had a habit of sending her his demo songs. It was her privilege as his girlfriend. 
 
She stared at her phone for so long. The file’s title was 너에 관한 모든 것 and Naeun had a feeling what this song was about. Hesitated, she opened the file and his voice in falsetto began to sing.
 
A verse of an unknown song, unfamiliar to her, but it was enough to pierce her heart into pieces once again.
 
The only thing Naeun remembered after that was her sobbing quietly onto her pillow for hours. She gathered herself as she heard Hayoung went back from her grocery shopping. She pretended to sleep and woke up an hour later to watch the broadcast. She was curious, mostly because Eunji asked them do watch the broadcast on their Line group. Also because she said Taemin was going to dance performance with Jimin from BTS and he was going to use the new song. Eunji wrote ‘you have to watch this, Naeun, and listen to the lyrics’. She didn’t need a confirmation, Taemin sent the song to her and performed it on national television was his way to enter into her life once again. 
 
“Aaaahhh…!” Once again, Hayoung brought Naeun back from her stupor. Hayoung’s eyes were fixed on the screen and she couldn’t contain her laughter. Naeun turned to see what made Hayoung laugh and it was Taemin, being interviewed by Minho with a BTS member, Jimin. 
 
Naeun unconsciously laughed along Hayoung because he really did look funny and awkward like his usual self. They talked about their collab stage and Taemin looked sincerely excited about the stage. She smiled when she saw him. It was really good to see him so happy with what he was doing right now. 
 
“Eonni… just… why did you break up with Taemin oppa?” Hayoung soft, timid voice made her feel guilty. She never talked the reason why she and Taemin broke up, even to Hayoung, the one who was closer to her than anyone else. Not even to Saeeun, her sister, but then she wouldn’t care about it at all. She was too busy with her school and her golf career. 
 
“It’s… complicated…” 
 
“You never talk about it, I just… I need to know if you still love him or not. Because it’s been a year and you rejected someone, right?”
 
She grimaced at the memory. It was awkward and she had rejected guys’ advances every once a while, but this one was too hard because they were friends and she was surprised when he confessed. At that moment, the only thing came crossing her mind was Taemin’s face. 
 
“Did he cheat on you? Because if he did….” Hayoung growled angrily. 
 
Naeun shook her head vigorously. “No, he would not! No. No…” Naeun tried to put on words of what had been going between them. Words being spoken, the loveliest and the fiercest ones that had been spoken out loud. Could she take it back? She took him for granted, and so did he. They were both at fault and they did nothing to fix it. 
 
Just when she was about to tell the truth about why they broke up, the now familiar tune came up from the tv screen. Naeun froze and she turned to see Taemin appeared on the stage. A zoom in into his face and expression rendered her speechless. Her heart started to beat furiously. No way…
 
And then he started to sing, the same falsetto note she heard on her phone earlier today. 
 
Why did I do that to you
Without regret
I should have loved you more
who were so beautiful
I should have hugged you more
 
You who were cold and rational
That perfect heaven you opened just for me
Only I didn’t know
 
That cool girl was mine, but I took her for granted
And I’m being punished for that now
It hurts to death
 
The stage was supposedly about the dance and the showdown between Taemin and Jimin, but all mattered to Naeun was the song. She unconsciously reached for her phone. Beside her, Hayoung, slack jawed, slowly turned to her in astonishment. 
 
“Eonni….” She cleared . “If you don’t text him immediately, I swear to God…” She was loss at words. “!NG LEE TAEMIN WROTE YOU A SONG! A regret song, nonetheless!”
 
Naeun bit her lip. She stared at her phone in her hands, ignoring Hayoung who was still bewildered. 
 
“Cold & rational? Cool girl was mine but I took her for granted?” Hayoung took a deep breath. “Damn it! I never thought that you’d be serenaded on national television by your ex-boyfriend.” 
 
She grabbed Naeun’s shoulder and glared into her eyes fiercely. “Eonni! I know you still love him, I know you hurt for the past year, I know you think about all the consequences if you two getting back together. Don’t! Don’t ever think about it! Do not think at all!” She then pulled Naeun into a tight hug. “Sometimes, you just have to feel and follow your heart.”
 
Naeun took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She hugged her younger one, silently thanking her for being there for her when her phone chimed with a message. Even before she opened it, she knew who the sender was. They broke apart to see the text. Hayoung’s face brightened up. Never in the world, she would think she finally get to see Naeun and Taemin getting back together. She should start writing some key notes for her lyrics in the future. 
 
Naeun opened her phone and his text sprang up from notification. 
 
"Did you watch it? Can we talk?"
 
Naeun smiled and hit the reply button. 
 
“Yes, call me. I’ll be waiting. 
You’re amazing tonight."
 
 
---------------------------------------
 
Taemin's All About You English translation credit to Hana.arch on YT 
(not gonna link the video because it states "NO WGM" on the description. oh well...)
 
I'm taking any prompt request. Head back to Foreword to pick a prompt on the table. You can also throw in a couple of words to accompany the prompt word. Anything you like. Have a nice day, everyone!