Something is off

My Sister and I

Narrator's PoV:

Kira sitting by the phone in her condo, contemplating on whether or not she should ask her mother to dinner at her sister's. After all, her father did abandon them when Kira was a toddler. More like he realized what he was doing was wrong, so he went back to his wife.

I don't even think I've seen my father, Kira thought. I don't remember anything about him. Maybe it's because I was little, but I should still remember something about my father.

Every time Kira asks about something that's vaguely about her father, Diana would reprimand her. Then, she would quickly apologize. The incident at the restaurant serves as a great example. If not scolding her, Diana would become more and more vague on information, which made the Eurasian woman wonder if her mother isn't telling her something.

Kira rhythmically taps on the arm of her wooden chair, weighing her option, before finally reaching over to the phone and dialing her mother's number.

After a few rings, the phone picked up on the other end with Diana's agent, Lisa, answering, "Diana Morris' speaking."

"This is Kira."

"Oh, hello, Kira. How are you?"

"I'm all right, Linda. May I speak to my mother, please?"

The voice on the phone immediately switched to Diana's voice. "Hello, Kira. I'm in the middle of a contract signing. What do you want?"

"I met Denise the other day?"

"And?"

"I was wondering if you could come over to dinner at her mother's house on Friday."

"Sorry, I can't. I have to be in Paris tomorrow for my Dior shoot, and if I did have the time, I still wouldn't go."

"Why?"

"Do I have to spell it out for you? Your father is most likely going to be there, too, so that's an automatic no for me. And you know he left me."

"Mom, he didn't leave you. You came in between a man and his wife, and he realized it was wrong, so he ended the affair."

"Kira, don't you dare try to turn this on me! He told me he was having trouble in his marriage, so he confided in me. After that, I fell in love with him, but he took me for granted. After that, I swore I'd never have anything to do with him again, let alone have dinner with him at his house."

"But, Mom--"

"I've got to go, Kira. Bye, I love you." Diana kissed the speaking end of the phone before hanging up on her daughter.

Frustrated, Kira slammed the phone back on its hook and let out a long, suffering sigh. "What's wrong with that woman?" Rising from her chair, Kira went inside the pantry, grabbed a packet of chicken-flavored Maruchan Instant Ramen and performed the usual routine for preparation. After the serving of noodles was cooked, Kira pulled out her utensils drawer and reached inside the golden box in which she hid her chopsticks whenever her mother came over.

While eatin, Kira stared long and hard at the pair of wooden sticks in her hand, which made her think of Wenhan, the handsome Chinese professor she's met earlier today. His pale skin was a sharp contrast to his dark black hair. The rose petal pout his pink, bee-stung lips formed. He wasn't that much taller than Kira, but she could live. How someone managed to pull off people cheek-pinchingly adorable yet ooze with so much masculine sensuality was way beyond her.

What's best about Wenhan is he's Denise's co-worker, so Kira would be able to see him nearly every day. She didn't want to use him as an excuse to see her half-sister, though. Instead, Kira would call it a bonus for getting to know Denise better. She had enough of not coming home to someone happy to see her. When she was finished with her bowl of ramen, Kira walked over to the sink and cleansed the ceramic bowl before going back upstairs to review her case.

_____________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!!! ☺☺☺☺☺