Somethin's in the air

Glass Prism

The sun was setting behind the blooming trees. Two girls were watching. One was sitting on the wide marble stairs at the entrance of the main school building, her long black hair with few yellow strands was flying around her head, but she didn´t mind it. She had a small smile on her lips, her eyes shining in excitement. The second one was standing at the top of the stairs, her hair slightly longer than to reach the shoulders, also flying around in the wind, but this girl tried to keep it out of her face with her hands. She looked down at her friend for a while; from behind, she saw back of her light green colored blazer with pulled-up sleeves. She looked down on her own uniform: white shirt, and pale grey and green checkered skirt and ribbon, which was girl´s version of the school´s tie. This was their last day wearing it. She knew she is going to miss this colors that were soothing her. She is going to miss the sight of the trees that grew around their school. But she made the decision. And her friend did just the same.

She looked on the pile of clothes lying next to her friend, their new uniforms. The color was dark. She remembered the first time she saw the uniforms of that school; it was summer in her last year of middle school. Some older girls were admiring summer dresses in the shop window when a group of male students wearing those colors arrived. They noticed the girls and decided that they were cute enough. They wanted the girls. The girls didn´t want to. It was an ugly memory. But she was sure of her decision. She will go there and she will make the difference. She will make the miracle happen. She will take those dark colors and wear it as a badge of honor one day. Everyone just wait and see.

“Guess they won´t have so comfortable stairs out there, will they?” her friend suddenly spoke. She smiled instead of answering. “Well, we should go home and prepare, tomorrow is the DAY,” her friend continued while standing up, “I will miss this place. And my karate club. And judo club. And the guys from athletics-“

“SunMi, I don´t think this school´s athletics team will die without you, nor will the others. They are capable of continuing in their existence even if we are not here anymore,” she interrupted her friend with a sigh, “I´m little worried about the clubs over there, actually. I never saw their school name at any competition or anything, if I recall correctly.”

“You are right, I also didn´t saw them anywhere. But the school has bigger problems than school clubs, I guess,” SunMi took her new uniform with a big smile on her face and placed it into her sport bag. She turned around to smile at her friend directly. ”I never saw anyone from that school, actually. Well, it can´t be that bad, right? After all, we are in real life, not in some stupid drama. The rumors are just…you are worrying over nothing, we will be fine as long as we stay together and focus on our mission!”

“Mission?”

“Yah, Hwang HaeRim, try to put a little more excitement into it! We are going to change that school! We are going to safe the poor kids there!” SunMi jumped down the stairs and started running towards the sunset. HaeRim caught her own hair that flew into her face again and put it back behind the ear, watching her best friend running and jumping like a small kid. She knew she decided this for herself, so she should be happy about it; but she was still in the stage of self-convincing. She was going to do something good; trying to bring some old, run down school´s reputation back up was a good deed and it will help a lot of people. Otherwise, the school might have to close down. It´s definitely a good deed. But it will probably take a lot of work to do. Going from relatively harmonized and mixed school where she was an icon for good manners, angelic behavior and fairy looks to somewhere with mostly boys students around, without a proper control over them, it was a huge change. She didn´t know how they will accept them. She was an easy prey, she knew it from the past; and SunMi was too impulsive. One little touch and she could send three times bigger man to the ground. She could pass as a student there, actually, HaeRim realized. SunMi had the ideals of the super hero, but otherwise, she wasn´t too different from any other delinquent around.

She took her new, dark purple and grey-black uniform and headed out of her old, comfortable, rule-based life. She headed home, but somehow, she felt like she was going right into the wall made out of thick fog; she could not see anything in front of her. New beginning, new start, new challenges. She will make it somehow.

They will make it somehow.

***

He was watching the sunset. He wasn´t alone, yet he was the only one watching it. There were three other boys, his friends, on the school roof with him. One was reading some book, the second one was smoking and staring into the sky on the other side of the roof while the last one made a pillow out of their school bags. He was asleep for some time now. No one said a word; they were waiting for the rest to finish their business for today so they can go and hang out for a while before going home.

His mind was occupied with a memory from today´s morning. Since he came late, one of the teachers made him carry some unnecessary papers into the staff room. He didn´t mind it that much, since he didn´t get any trouble because of it. While waiting for the person who needed the papers, he overheard something though. It was few days since a new principal arrived. He was much younger than the previous one, full of energy and smiles- to the point almost whole school disliked him already. He was standing by the window, looking outside. Next to him was another teacher, nervous and sweating. He was shuttering at his speech and after some time, the new principal interrupted him.

“I understand your concern, Mr. Park, but please don´t worry. The two girls agreed themselves to come here, I didn´t force them or anything, of course. They are looking forward to this school, actually. And let´s face it, unless something changes here, this school might have to close in less than two years. And that would be bad for both students and teachers, wouldn´t it?” he turned with a big smile on his face. The other teacher gulped and took a deep breath.

“I understand that, Mr. Principal, my point is: is it safe for two such lovely ladies to come here? Have you seen the state of the school, the classrooms, hallways, not even talking about rest rooms? The standard they are used to from Westrose is far away from-“

“I´m aware of that and so are they. They know what they are facing, or at least they think they do,”

“That´s it, they think! They don´t know anything! The few girls that end up here are the poorest things alive, many of them just drop out by the second year! Please, reconsider this; why taking such good students from prestigious school and placing them here, where half of the students doesn´t even reach the graduation and speaking about university acceptance rate…”

“The two of them can come back to Westrose whenever they want. And I wouldn´t worry about them not getting to the university, no matter what school they will be attending. End of the discussion. They will be here tomorrow morning, before the first period starts. Mrs. Yoon will give them all information they need in order to merge in without any problems and lead them to their new class afterwards. I will meet them afterschool,” with that said, the principal turned around, giving smile to all around himself and headed to his separate office.

He finally gave the papers to the right person and got out of there. But the discussion he overheard didn´t leave his head, not even for a second. Two new students? Girls? From Westrose? Here, of all places? He knew the school wasn´t doing well. He knew that the principal was originally from Westrose. But what was all that talk? What could two girls do? Two girls against whole school (well, putting aside the few girl students that actually attended here in the first place, they could welcome them but they wouldn´t be of any help whatsoever)?

“Two girls from such a noble high school can´t do a thing even to us and we are only seven,” he murmured under his breath. “How could they do anything with the whole school? That’s absurd,”

“What´s absurd, hyung?” He spun around and saw Jungkook standing behind him, with his school bag over his shoulder. He looked at the setting sun and then back to his hyung with question marks in his eyes.

“Something that´s about to happen,” he just smiled and turned to the three that were with him the whole time, still not paying attention to their surroundings. “Where are J-hope and RapMon?”

“Here~” sang J-hope, entering the roof with a blonde boy behind him. Thanks to his loud voice, everyone finally snapped back to reality and started getting up, talking, shouting and pushing each other. These were his friends. These boys were his everything and he would go against whole world for them. And they would do the same for him, he knew. He glanced to the sunset for the last time, before the darkness takes over for tonight.

“Suga? Are you going or not?” He looked at Jin, who was waiting for him, holding a door knob. Suga smiled again and run down, catching up with others, laughing.

Nothing can ever set them apart.

 

So, I'm putting up the first chapter. I had it written here for some time already and it's more of a foreword than anything, really.

I hope you enjoyed it anyway and I will post next chapter, longer and little better, tomorrow. And I will continue to write so you can read as soon as possible, and also so I have something for you when I won't have too much time for writing once second semester starts.

Almost 1:30 am here, off to bed!

Krakin~