#04

On A Rainy Day

A/N: Sorry for the late update- I had tests ongoing last week but I'll be free the following week so I'll try to update as soon as possible!


Naeun's eyes did not leave Eunji at all. She noticed that Eunji was drenched and that the latter had wrapped her plaid shirt around her waist living her only in her tank top. Eunji who noticed that Naeun had been staring at her chuckled softly and turned to Hayoung to answer her question. "We're neighbors. Such a small world isn't it?"

 

 

Hayoung's jaw dropped slightly at the revelation made by Eunji. It was indeed a small world, Hayoung thought as she closed and faced her best friend who seemed to be checking Eunji top to bottom. The sight amused Hayoung. For a split second, Hayoung thought that her best friend actually had a small crush on this Eunji girl but that couldn't possibly be it, she added in her mind. Naeun had a boyfriend.

 

 

The light to the emergency room went off and Hayoung was brought back to reality as she heard the doctor calling out for a relative of Namjoo's. The youngest of the three girls made her way to the doctor and looked at him with worried eyes. She did not want to lose Namjoo at all. Not when the latter does not know Hayoung's feelings for her.

 

 

"Are you one of Kim Namjoo's relative?" the doctor asked as he pulled down the mask he was wearing.

 

 

Hayoung shook her head weakly and replied, "I'm not but I'm her best friend."

 

 

"Do you know where her parents are?" he asked another question.

 

 

Hayoung's heart by then was beating rapidly that she was getting annoyed with the doctor's question. All she wanted to know was if Namjoo had survived the accident or worse, she did not. The thought of Namjoo being dead made Hayoung's stomach churn. "Her parents are currently out of the country," she told the doctor. "Now, please tell me how Namjoo is. She's alive right?"

 

 

Naeun finally looked away from Eunji and changed her attention to Hayoung who was shaking. She went to hold onto Hayoung's hand and squeezed it lightly to comfort the younger girl. Naeun knew how devastated Hayoung was feeling currently and she did not like seeing her friends sad.

 

 

"Namjoo ssi is fine. She survived the accident," the doctor finally revealed Namjoo's condition.

 

 

Hayoung felt the heavy feeling in chest disappear and a small smile appeared on her face. However, the feeling appeared once again when the doctor continued to talk.

 

 

"But she suffered from a major head injury that my nurses and I had to make sure that she did not suffer from a lot of blood loss and die. However, don't worry now. As I said a moment ago, Namjoo ssi is still alive and breathing. We have taken her to room 402. You can visit her now."

 

 

Hayoung thanked the doctor and immediately hugged Naeun tightly. The latter sighed softly and patted the younger girl's back to soothe her. She was relieved that Namjoo had survived. If not, Hayoung would be a wreck right now and she wouldn't know how to handle a depressed Hayoung. "I should have been the one to get hit. I shouldn't have gotten angry at her and lashed out. Namjoo unnie wouldn't have to be in this condition now," Hayoung said weakly as she allowed her tears to flow out once again.

 

 

Eunji looked at Hayoung sympathetically. She wanted to comfort her as well but she felt that it would be awkward since she did not know Hayoung that well. "I should go now. This time, I'm pretty sure eomma will kill me," Eunji thought as she pulled herself away from the wall to leave.

 

 

"You should go and visit Namjoo first, Hayoung-ah. I'll be with you later," Naeun whispered to her friend and patted her shoulder lightly. Hayoung nodded her head and walked with heavy steps to her crush's ward.

 

 

Naeun diverted her attention to Eunji once Hayoung had left. She saw that Eunji was about to leave and she grabbed the older girl firmly by the wrist. "Don't leave yet. I have questions that need to be answered."

 

 

Eunji swore she felt her heart skip a beat when Naeun held onto her wrist all of a sudden. For a moment, her mind went blank and she thought she could have passed out. Her heart was beating rapidly and she wondered if the younger girl felt the same way too or was it only her who felt that way? Naeun spun the girl around and removed her hand, folding her arms in the process. "Why did you leave your own house right after dinner? Do you have a problem with my family?" she asked with a frown.

 

 

"I. . . I just needed fresh air," Eunji lied.

 

 

Naeun scoffed at Eunji's reply and rolled her eyes. "I'm not that stupid Eunji unnie. Now, tell me the actual reason why you did so. You just left a bad impression on my parents!"

 

 

Eunji sighed. She saw no point in lying to her neighbor but she honestly did not know how to answer when she herself did not know the reason why she had left. Suddenly, the image of Taemin and Naeun appeared in her mind. A frown made its way onto her face as she remembered how the two were lost in their own world. Naeun, who had been observing Eunji, wondered why there was a sudden change of expression made by Eunji. She was actually curious of what Eunji was thinking of.

 

 

"Earth to Eunji, are you still there?" Naeun said as she waved her hand in front of Eunji. "If you don't want to talk to me, I'm going to Hayoung's side now."

 

 

Naeun hoped that by saying so, Eunji wouldn't want her to leave and answer her question but she thought wrong.

 

 

"Go ahead," Eunji answered with a straight face. "She needs you."

 

 

The younger girl could only watch as her neighbor walked out of the ER. 

 

--

 

 

"Where have you been Chorong-ah?" Hyungsik asked once the said girl got home. He pushed his hair backwards and sighed when his girlfriend was not even looking at him. "If you came home earlier, you wouldn't have been wet due to the rain," he added and lifted Chorong's chin up so that the latter was looking at him. Hyungsik frowned slightly as he saw Chorong's eyes a little puffy. "Who made you cry?" he asked straightforwardly.

 

 

Chorong just kept silent. She expected Hyungsik to hug her, to comfort her once she got home but instead, he was asking her a lot of questions that she did not feel like answering at all. She wished Hyungsik would for once understand her body language. "Bomi would have understood me," Chorong suddenly thought and she felt like crying once again. She had hurt the younger girl again.

 

 

"Yah, Chorong-ah. Why aren't you answering my questions?" Hyungsik raised his voice and cupped Chorong's face.

 

 

"I'm going to take a shower," was Chorong's only reply and she walked away from her boyfriend to their bedroom.

 

 

Chorong did not have a pleasant childhood since she was born. Her parents were usually busy and it was always only Chorong at home all alone. She did had a few friends in elementary school and high school but they all come and go. None of them actually stayed with her once they found out about Chorong's family background. Chorong did not like her own parents as well. Why should she anyway when her father had cheated on her mother with another woman? On the other hand, her mother was no different than her father. Chorong got to know that her parents were forced to marry each other because of their own parents once she entered college. Her parents got divorced and none of them wanted to take her into custody. Since then, Chorong never did believe in true love.

 

 

However, Chorong's view changed when Bomi came into her life. The latter never failed to make her smile or laugh. They did fight a few times but they would usually make up with each other after a few hours. Chorong was sure she was really in love with Yoon Bomi but because of what had happened between her family, Chorong just decided to break it off with Bomi. It did hurt her but Chorong thought that it was for the best. She was afraid she would hurt Bomi if they continued to be together. She was also afraid that Bomi would also leave her once the younger girl finds out about her family background. Chorong was insecure but she did not want to admit that at all. Instead, she built a barrier around her only for it to be broken again by Hyungsik. Hyungsik was a nice guy but Chorong knew he could not make her feel the same way Bomi made her feel but she gave him a chance anyway. The time she had with Hyungsik did make her forget about Bomi for a while.  

 

 

After she was done showering, Chorong straight away went to bed where Hyungsik was already there. "Baby, are you okay?" he asked and wrapped his arm around Chorong's waist. The latter buried her face into his chest but it did not feel right for her. Usually it would but on that night, Chorong did not feel safe in his arms. "We'll just talk tomorrow alright?" Hyungsik whispered and kissed her forehead. "Goodnight."

 

 

The earlier scene where Bomi had kissed her forehead played in Chorong's mind like a broken recorder. "I'm sorry Hyungsik oppa. I love you but my heart belongs to someone else," Chorong said in her mind. She had thought about it in the bathroom and Chorong made a conclusion that she could not live without Bomi beside her. She was going to make it up to Bomi for the two years the latter had suffered after their broke up.

 

 

Chorong wasn't going to run away from her feelings anymore.

 

 

--

 

 

Hayoung, with a heavy heart, entered the ward where Namjoo was in. Her heart clenched as she saw how Namjoo's head was wrapped in a bandage and that there were cuts and bruises everywhere. Biting her lower lip, she took little steps towards the patient and immediately broke down. Hayoung once again cried as she looked at Namjoo who was peacefully sleeping. The younger girl wished that it was her instead so that she would not feel guilty for being the trigger to the accident.

 

 

"It isn't your fault, you know. I bet Namjoo wouldn't want you to get caught in an accident as well," Naeun said as she closed the door.

 

 

 

 Hayoung sighed. She knew what Naeun said was true but she could not help but feel really guilty. It was her fault that she made Namjoo furious causing her to walk away from her and got hit by the car. "I should have just kept my mouth shut," she mumbled and looked at Namjoo. She held onto her hand and squeezed it lightly. "Namjoo unnie, please wake up as soon as possible. I'm really sorry."

 

 

 

Naeun patted Hayoung's shoulder to comfort her. She had not been through this kind of situation before but she knew Hayoung was feeling really devastated. "Don't cry anymore Hayoung ah. Didn't the doctor say she'll be fine? I don't like seeing you sad," Naeun comforted her friend.

 

 

 

"Namjoo was upset because I disapprove of Kai oppa. My jealousy got the best of me and this happened. I really don't get it. What's so good about him?" Hayoung frowned, ignoring what Naeun had said previously.

 

 

 

Naeun could see hurt flashing through Hayoung's eyes. She knew how much Hayoung loved Namjoo but she could not do anything at all. As much as Naeun wanted to tell Namjoo how Hayoung really feels towards her, she still kept quiet because that was what Hayoung wanted.

 

 

 

"Love is weird Hayoung ah. Some people are too caught up in their fantasies that they ignore the person who can give them what they want. I'm not sure who this Kai person you're talking about but I'm sure Namjoo has her reasons for liking him," Naeun said softly.

 

 

 

Hayoung could only keep quiet because she knew what Naeun said was true and it hurt her knowing that Namjoo will not feel the same way as her even when she wakes up.