Cry Wolf chpt: 16

Cry Wolf ***( HIATUS)***

 

Brown paws could hardly feel themselves skimming over the various shades of the green blades of grass that covered the large meadow before a sudden intrusion of cold, hard white slush made it's appearance, covering the floor and wetting the paws that pounded through it in a cold fury as the carrier of the paws continued to run at a full pace to wherever there could be a possible way to escape and get past the designated border to its safety. "If you can pass to the other side of the small river of Ouasha past the meadow of Mealedor where the seasons of summer and winter eternally unify together then you can have your freedom from punishment" the wolves' alpha's voice was heard ringing through his mind on constant replay "but only then will you have freedom. The pack will be hunting you and, if you are brought down and captured before you make it past the river, you will accept your fated punish once being dragged back home." Nothing else had been said before the, now, fleeing wolf had been released from his dark prison after given the chance to transform signaling that the hunt had begun.


The sound of other wolves' paws thundering through the interlocking meadows of the two dominate seasons getting closer was a sure indication that the fleeing wolf had to give more of his strength into his speed or the others would be upon him before the river would be in sight. "Make it to the river. You have to make it to the river" the wolf's conscious repeated "make it past the river or you'll die."


Keeping the vision of his eyes straight ahead, all that the wolf could see at the moment was white snow that was sourcing the ground with the brims of the top of dead, black forest trees appearing over the horizon. "The sign of close proximity to the river, to my freedom" it thought with ever perking eagerness, "just over four hundred meters or less and I'll have my freedom from punishment."


Although there was only a short distance left to run, the brown, monstrous canine could feel his lungs burning from lack of oxygen and his feet were becoming more weary, there was only a short amount of time left before his legs would give out from underneath him and he'd topple to the ground in defeat and be dragged back to the house where his clan members would punish him for his 'crime', "come on Kai, just a couple more meters, seventy five more at most then you'll have your promised freedom."


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Kai could hear the howling thoughts of the others who were chasing after him as he ran past the entrance of the dead forest trees, "come back here Kai", "oh come on Kai let us have some fun with you", "Why don't you let us show you how much fun it is to be torn apart like you did to Kyungsoo Kai", "come back Kai I wanna play with you for a little bit", "Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai Kai" were some of the thoughts he could hear through the clan's howls and barks as they continued to pursue the hunt for their intended prey "come back Kai, come back, come back, come back, come back." He swore he'd loose his mind at any moment but just then the sounds of heaven filled his ears, the sound of rushing water in the close distance. "You're almost there Jongin, just keep running" the wolf cheered himself on, although he felt as though he should just give up to the pain of his panting, weary body, "we don't have far to go."


Soon the sounds of water turned into sight and Kai perked his exhausted head up as he ran with new found energy, he could see the end of the river and he knew that now was the time he'd have to give everything his all because this is when the clan will push through and work together to catch up and tackle him down.


The sweet, freezing chill of the low river water was refreshing to the brown wolf as he reached the water and splashed his way across the river, drenching his stomach and legs in the process, he dodged the river rocks that protruded out of the river floor, forming a zigzag motion as he ran to make his way around them. Finally reaching the other side, he plunged over the rocky river bank and ceased his movements once he felt the familiar feeling of green grass and melting snow provide comfort to his aching paws.


Falling to the floor in a heaving slump of exhaustion after turning around, Kai was surprised to see that one of his fellow clan members had been right behind him the entire time, the grey wolf growled at the wolf form that had fallen to the floor as he stared down at it, "you're luck that I had hesitated to pounce forward when I had the chance" Sehun sneered "otherwise I would've tackled you down at the other side of the river and let the others drag you back." The speaking wolf suddenly changed expressions and showed an austere reaction with hardly noticeable worry in his eyes as he his lips then partially sneezed, "I'm glad you're OK though. No matter what you do I'll still consider you as a friend and clan member, please stay safe" the grey wolf pleaded "don't think of returning until dusk has settled" he warning his panting friend "once dusk is present then you can begin making your way back home but anytime before then... you'll be hounded by the others." Kai wasn't given the chance to reply before the scruffy grey form of Sehun turned and plunged down into the water, splashing his way to the other side where all the other clan members had paused.


"Consider yourself lucky Kai" Luhan's bark sounded "you've made it past the far bank of the river Ouasha and have 'earned' your freedom from our punishment to you for your crimes" Luhan had made sure to put pressure into the word 'earned' "may you always be as lucky as you are now and live prosperously" he finished sarcastically with a snarl. The clan began to whirl around and disappear into the small forest to return home while leaving Kai in his place across the river. Soon Kai was alone, a momentary lone wolf until the dusk of the day would find it's place in the sky, he didn't mind though and continued to lay in the spot of snow and grass that he'd fallen upon, looking in the direction that his clan members had run through to leave him behind.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When the time of dusk had arrived, Kai looked around at his surroundings before picking up his head and lifting himself from the floor, "I can return now" he thought after pondering whether he should or not. He sprinted off in the direction he'd come from earlier after making his decision, "I'll be welcomed back now as Sehun promised."