Three

The Royal Pretense
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fast walking out of the lecture hall, Sera hurried towards the cafeteria, where delicious smells were drifting out. Again, her stomach growled loudly, so she picked up her pace and rushed past her peers. 

"Sera! Sera! Hey, wait for me!" A voice behind her was yelling her name. Sera slowed to a stop and turned around, scanning the crowd to see who was calling her. Her friend, Hajong, who waved vigorously and ran towards Sera.

"Did you forget about me?" Hajong demanded, while slapping Sera playfully. "You said you would wait."

Sera apologetically placed her hand on the back of her neck. "Yeah ... I kind of forgot." Hajong rolled her eyes at her best friend before both of them began to walk towards the canteen again.

"How was class?" Sera inquired her friend.

"We had a large group discussion about some bioinformatics topic. The professor mentioned something about research opportunities towards the end of class, so I'm going to see if I can get involved somehow." Hajong was a bioengineering major, currently taking some computer science and biology interrelated courses.

"Do you know if the school pays for those kind of research internships?"

Hajong scrunched her eyebrows together. "I think I remember a sunbae saying that some do. Why? Are you going to apply for one?"

Sera shrugged. "Probably. It would definitely help to have some extra money to help out at home." Her friend nodded in agreement.

"College is pretty darn expensive. We should both apply. Who knows? Maybe we can work in the same lab." Both Sera and Hajong's families were not struggling financially, but it definitely helped to be able to relieve some of their parent's financial burdens and save up for the future. 

After five minutes of walking across the campus, the girls arrived at the cafeteria. Students were milling in and out of the building like ants. It was difficult for them to make their way into the canteen without squeezing themselves through the gaps of crowds of their peers.

Sera pursed in confusion. "Why are there so many people at the entrance today? It usually isn't like this." Hajong ran her hand through her short hair.

"I've got no clue." The two girls pushed past the crowd and managed to get their food. Then, they proceeded to seat themselves in the least crowded corner of cafeteria.

Sera filled with the kimchi stew and rice, chewing slowly to savor the taste of the food, and Hajong could not help but stifle a laugh.

"Why is my eating so funny?" Sera asked, spooning of the bean sprouts into . Likewise, Hajong dug into her tofu stew.

"It's just so funny seeing you enjoy food so much." Her friend scoffed and continued to eat. Both of them sat in silence as they enjoyed their food. They could hear some of the girls at the table next to them discussing some scholarship or program. Their loud voices and gasps had traveled over to the girls' table. Hajong and Sera exchanged glances and decided to eavesdrop on their conversation.

A girl wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter