One

The Royal Pretense
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Downing a gulp of whiskey, Sehun scoffed. 

"I really can't believe you did that," he shouted, while shaking his head at Byun Baekhyun. His friend, Baekhyun, sat down next to him and gave him a silly grin in return by returning back to his alcohol. 

Their companion, Kai, laughed, "Did you see his expression?" He imitated the man that Baekhyun had confronted moments ago. "He totally got what he deserved for feeling up that poor girl. What an ." All of their bodies shook with laughter as they recalled the events that transpired minutes ago. 

"Man, you're crazy," Sehun muttered, as he slapped Baekhyun's back. The heavy electronic music boomed through the club, making it difficult for the boys to hear one another. Every couple seconds, the dance lights would flicker through the building, occasionally lighting up the dark room. Everywhere around them, people were grinding, drinking, and smoking. Because it was so chaotic, clubs were a great place for the boys to get away from reality for a couple hours. 

Changing the conversation topic, Baekhyun asked, "So, how's it going with your parents? Responsibilities and all?" Sehun's smile slowly faded, as he lowered the glass from his lips. 

Sehun sighed, "I'm not really sure what to say. My workload's increasing-- more meetings, more press conferences, more decisions to make ... The list goes on." He trailed off and got lost in his thoughts. Being Korea's Crown Prince was not an easy job. There were so many expectations and so many things to do. Recently, his parents, the king and the queen, had been forcing him to do more and more. His childhood friends, Baekhyun and Kai, knew what he going through. Both boys were from the yangban class, the nobility or the ruling class. In the past, the yangban were rich nobles, but now, the term referred to the wealthy and powerful. Anyone could join the country's elite class as long as they worked their way up the social ladder. Family background no longer meant as much as it did in the old days unless someone was royalty. They, too, experienced what Sehun was going through, however, not to the same degree.

As royalty, Sehun had to live up to the people's expectations as the Crown Prince. Somehow, for the past nineteen years, he had managed to survive. The first ten years were blissful, and he couldn't help wishing to go back to that time. Those days were so carefree. Although the young boy spent much of his time studying the classics as well as many other subjects, Sehun completely enjoyed the process of doing so. Even with all the work, a large fraction of his time was reserved for playing. Hide and seek in the palace with the servants and his friends, building Lego structures, and playing soccer. Once he turned twelve, things began to change. Gradually, his parents started pressur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter