Chapter Twelve

kintsugi

Jiwon’s a regular customer now, after that first rainy afternoon he’s stopped by at least two or three times a week sometimes more. He always orders the same ridiculous drink and even Taehyun and Yunhyeong are starting to expect his visits. Even Suenghoon has caught on and teases him about his ‘admirer’. They chat, sometimes it’s busy and all they can do is greet each other but when the little café’s slow Jiwon likes to linger, just talking and Hanbin finds he doesn’t mind. He learns that Jiwon has a job as a waiter at a restaurant maybe 15 minutes away, learns he’s still working on his music, that he plays sets in clubs on his nights off when he can. There’s something safe about it, because Jiwon is a customer and Hanbin is a barista and he can pretend that’s all it is, pretend this is nothing more and even as Jiwon smiles and him and he feels his heart race in his chest he lies to himself. It’s never more then this, the little chats and stolen moments. Hanbin never asks Jiwon to do something outside of work and Jiwon never offers and so they exist in a strange halfway world between just friends and something more.

Hanbin’s growing antsy, camped out in Jinhwan’s living room. It’s not that he doesn’t like living with his friend, it’s just he itches for his own place, somewhere to call home that doesn’t feel quite so transient. He brings it up over dinner one night a little tentatively.

“So, I was thinking about moving out soon.”

Jinhwan looks up, surprised.

“What? Why? Is something bothering you?”

Hanbin shakes his head emphatically,

“No, no, you’ve been great Jinhwan it’s nothing like that. I just… I can’t sleep in your living room forever you know.”

(and he thinks about the nights Jinhwan’s spent at Yunhyeong’s, thinks that maybe it’s time his friend started a life of  his own)

Jinhwan looks down again, ducking his head to hide the hurt that flashes across it.

“You know you’ll always have a home here with me, right?”

Hanbin smiles gently and reaches across the table to squeeze Jinhwan’s shoulder.

“Of course I know that. But I think that this is the right choice for me. This was always going to be temporary anyways.”

Jinhwan nods and sighs.

“I know that… It’s just… I guess I didn’t want to lose you again you know?”

“You won’t. I promise, I’m not leaving again.”

Jinhwan smiles and nods.

“Well, if that’s what you want we better get looking.”

As it turns out there’s not much available in Seoul that’s both in Hanbin’s price range and not ridiculously far away from work. After almost a week and a half of searching Hanbin’s just about given up. He and Jinhwan are sitting in the living room scrolling through housing ads online and Hanbin slaps the lid of his laptop closed with a frustrated sigh and throws it to the side, letting out a deep sigh he lets his head fall back into the couch cushions and rubs at his face.

“Maybe I should just move back in with my parents. They probably won’t make me pay rent.”

Jinhwan hums distractedly, not looking up from his computer. Hanbin glances at him,

“Hey, you listening to me complain or not?”

Jinhwan nods, but he still doesn’t look at Hanbin intent on something on his screen. When he finally does look up there’s a look Hanbin can’t quite define on his face.

“I found something, but I don’t think you’re going to like it…”

Hanbin rolls his eyes,

“Jinhwan, I don’t think you understand how incredibly low my standards are right now. I’d literally take a walk in closet at this point.”

Jinhwan raises his eyebrows and shrugs, spinning his laptop to face Hanbin. He leans in, eyes scanning the page till he finds the address and then he recoils like he’s been burned.

“Oh you’ve got to be ing kidding me.”

Jinhwan gives him a look, pulling his laptop back.

“See, I told you you wouldn’t like it.”

“Well that’s because I didn’t expect it to be the apartment literally right below Jiwon’s!”

It’s Jinhwan’s turn to roll his eyes now.

“Oh come on, it’s not like you’re moving in with him or something. It’s a nice apartment, reasonable price, and it’s close to work. Don’t let your pigheadedness get in the way of this alright?”

Hanbin sits back, chastened a little, and resists the urge to cross his arms and pout.

“You’re right… It’s just… weird to think about living in the same building as we did last year. A little close to home I guess.”

Jinhwan softens at that.

“I know. But it’s probably the best you’re going to do.”

He tells Jiwon the next time he comes into the café, trying to keep his tone casual. Jiwon freezes, a smile spreading across his face like the rising swell of the ocean. His voice when he speaks is so bright it aches and Hanbin swallows hard. Immediately he offers to help Hanbin move in and won’t hear any of Hanbin’s protests and so he gives in.

The interview is a breeze, the landlady remembers him from last year and is happy to have him back. It’s barely a week from when he finds the listing to signing the lease and no matter how strange it is Hanbin’s happy to walk back to Jinhwan’s with his own keys jingling in his pocket. They go out with boys that night to their usual bar to celebrate. As they’re getting ready to go Hanbin feels his phone buzz, it’s a text from Jiwon. It’s just one line. Just seven words, just 29 letters and a question mark, but it knocks the air out of Hanbin.

Want to go for drinks sometime soon?

He doesn’t open it, just lets it sit on his lock screen glowing bright. He puts his phone back in his pocket and when Jinhwan asks if everything is alright he smiles and nods. He tries not to think about it, tries to have fun but even as he jokes and laughs with his friends it lingers at the back of his mind.

When he and Jinhwan get home neither of them are ready to go to bed. They collapse bonelessly onto the couch, Hanbin throws his socked feet onto the coffee table and Jinhwan curls up beside him. He whispers to Jinhwan, they’re both sleepy and still a little drunk,

“You know how people always say there’s other fish in the sea?”

Jinhwan runs his hands over his face and lets his head fall to the side till he’s looking at Hanbin.

“Yeah, sure. Why?”

“What if he is my sea?”

Jinhwan shrugs. He doesn’t have to ask who Hanbin’s talking about.

“Then stop fishing I guess.”

The next day he texts Jiwon back,

I’m crazy busy right now, moving and all. After I get settled maybe?

The move goes smooth, he doesn’t have that much stuff at Jinhwan’s place and there’s only a few things in storage he has to get out. Junhoe and Jinhwan help ferry things over, and Donghyuk shows up later with cheap beer and chicken. By the time they’re finished the apartment still feels a little bare but it’s nice to be able to call a place his own again. Jiwon doesn’t show, but Hanbin doesn’t let himself be too disappointed about that. They all sit cross legged on the floor because Hanbin still doesn’t have chairs and reminisce about college days and hot summers and moments that seemed like they were going to last forever. As the sun sets Hanbin laughs long and hard, the kind of laugh that makes your ribs ache a little and he says goodbye to his friends with a smile on his face.

He’s just curled up on the couch with his laptop when he hears a knock on the door. Confused he looks at the time, past ten, nobody should be visiting. Slowly he gets up, figuring maybe someone forgot something. Instead he opens the door to Jiwon standing with a sheepish look on his face and a cardboard box full of things.

“Hey. Sorry I’m late.”

He doesn’t expect to see Jiwon standing there, but that’s the thing. He never expects Jiwon, can never tell what he’s going to do to next. He just stands there for a little, uncertain but with a cautious smile on his face. Hanbin stands there too, unsure of what to do. It’s just like Hanbin’s first visit to Jiwon after he came home to Korea but this time Hanbin’s the one on the inside and Jiwon is waiting expectantly. They stand there for a good minute before Hanbin steps aside and opens the door wider so Jiwon can slip past him.

He follows him into the apartment, watching as he takes in the room and suddenly feels a little embarrassed at the emptiness.

“I haven’t really got a lot of the stuff I need yet….”

He says lamely, scratching at the back of his head. Jiwon laughs a little, setting his box down on the couch.

“Yeah, I can see that.”

He turns to Hanbin, gesturing towards the chairless table by the kitchen.

“I think the restaurant I’m working at is replacing their chairs, I could probably get you some for free if you want.”

Hanbin looks at him, surprised,

“I mean, if it’s not a bother…”

Jiwon shakes his head, and shrugs in a smooth lazy movement that makes Hanbin’s throat tighten.

“It’s no problem, they’re just going to throw them away so I’m probably doing the environment a favor.”

Hanbin smiles, a little touched by the thoughtfulness of the gesture.

“Okay, yeah, that’d be great. Thank you. The deposit on this place kinda broke the bank.”

Jiwon smiles that wide dopey smile of his and runs a hand through his hair, pushing the floppy bangs out of his face.

“Of course. Anyways, I kind of owe you for not showing up to help with the move like I promised. I had to cover a shift for a friend.”

And it feels strange, so strange, to be here in his apartment with Jiwon in front of him laughing and smiling and talking about work. A sense of déjà vu hits Hanbin like a train and for a second he reels. Jiwon doesn’t notice though, instead he gestures to box behind him.

“I still had some of your things, thought I should bring them down now that you have your own place.”

Hanbin walks over and sifts through the contents, there’s a few art textbooks, some t-shirts and CD’s. Surprised he looks up at Jiwon,

“You kept all this stuff?”

Jiwon shrugs and looks a little embarrassed.

“It just… didn’t feel right to get rid of it…”

Hanbin looks down, and nods. They’re silent for a little because now they’re encroaching on sensitive topics, touching wounds that aren’t healed yet. Jiwon coughs uncomfortably and Hanbin fiddles with a loose thread on the couch. Eventually Jiwon breaks the silence.

“Well, I should probably get going. Early shift tomorrow.”

Hanbin stands, nodding.

“Yeah, yeah. Uh, thanks, for my stuff. And the chairs.”

Jiwon nods and turns, heading for the door. He opens it halfway in and halfway out, back framed by the light of the hall and Hanbin is struck by how similar it is to that night a year ago, and he feels sad for a reason he can’t really explain. This time though, Jiwon doesn’t leave. Instead he stops, turns back

“Hey, since you’re done with moving we should get those drinks sometimes. My treat, to celebrate.”

Hanbin looks up, not expecting the sudden request and his mouth moves before his brain does.

“Sure.”

Jiwon looks a little surprised at that, but the look of relief soon fades into a wide grin and Hanbin can’t help but smile back.

“Okay great! How does Friday sound?”

Still on autopilot Hanbin nods, Jiwon flashes him a quick thumbs up and then with a last goodbye he’s gone. The door swings shut behind him, and there’s a different kind of finality too it. Hanbin stares at the dark wood for a long time and hopes he just made the right choice.

Later that week Hanbin has Hayi over so he can work more on her portrait. Luckily Jiwon had kept his word and swung by with a few of the old chairs from his restaurant so they aren’t forced to sit on the floor but he still cleans his apartment thoroughly before she comes and hangs a few of his old paintings on the walls to brighten up the place. Beyond being an excellent model Hanbin’s discovered Hayi’s also good company. At first she seemed cool and reserved but as they spend more time together she opens up to reveal a sharp tongue and an unexpectedly silly side.

After Hanbin finishes his session she ends up staying, first for a cup of tea and then as the sun slowly sinks and the shadows lengthen for dinner. She’s a surprisingly resourceful cook and she relegates Hanbin to the sidelines as she digs through his mostly empty fridge and pulls together a noodle stir fry. Hanbin watches in awe as she skillfully flips the vegetables in his small dented pan.

“Where’d you learn to do that?”

She shrugs, not looking away from the stove.

“My mom’s a really good chef, she taught me a lot when I was younger.”

“Oh, so talent runs in the family?”

She gives him a sidelong look, a little smirk painted on her lips.

“Don’t you know Kim Hanbin? Flattery gets you everywhere.”

They eat dinner and chat. Mostly about art, because as much as Hanbin loves his friends none of them share his passion for crusty old European painters, but also about family and music and politics and food. Towards the end they trail off into a comfortable silence. Hayi breaks it though, a shy look on her face.

“Hey, I was going to a friends exhibition Friday. She does some really great sculpture work, would you want to come? You totally don’t have to, I just have an extra ticket and I figured you’d enjoy it.”

Hanbin smiles, it’s cute to see her flounder a little when she’s normally so collected.

“I wish I could, really, but I already have plans with someone on Friday.”

“Oh, okay. Like a date?”

There’s a strangely disappointed tone to her voice when she replies. Hanbin shakes his head though,

“No, not a date. Just catching up with an old friend.”

She nods, looking almost relieved. 

“Alright, another time then.”

Hanbin stretches out his pinky, and she locks it with hers.

“Another time, I promise.”