Our Bench

11 Months

You were sitting in your dorm, trying to focus on your homework to no avail. Your thoughts were really elsewhere. You had seen Luhan in your Physics class. It had been such a strange coincidence and your mind really couldn't focus on anything else throughout the day, Luckily there were staff all over campus to show you around and the only things professors were going over was the syllabi.

It had been enough verbatim and repetition that you found yourself mindlessly surfing the internet until you heard your phone ring. Seeing the name flash on the screen you could feel your stomach drop. It was Luhan.

large.png

"Hey..." You heard him mumble from the other end. "I know it's pretty late, but do you have time right now?"

Confused, you glanced down at the clock on your desk before realizing it was already ten. Your roommate however was already fast asleep. Perfect. You wouldn't have to explain where you were going on a school night. “Uh yeah.” You responded hurriedly. "Where are you?”

“I’m outside your dorm.”

“I’ll be down in like ten minutes.” You said before ending the call. You quickly pulled on a hoodie since you had already changed into your pajamas and decided not to reapply eyeliner. There was a bad feeling beginning to set in your stomach and you were afraid the eyeliner would just run if you ended up crying.

You walked out of the dorm, your eyes searching for Luhan only to find him sitting on a bench near the doors. He stood up as you approached, and unlike the first two times the two of you had met in person, you didn’t run straight into his arms. “Hey.” He acknowledged.

“Hey.” You repeated.

“C-can we talk about what happened today?”

You glanced at the cobblestone nervously before finally meeting his eyes and nodding. Your heart was racing, but not in a pleasant way that you were used to around Luhan. You couldn't hold back shifting from foot to foot as you avoided looking at him for too long. “Yeah.”

He smiled lightly at you and motioned for you to follow him. The two of you walked down the street silently for a couple blocks until you found yourself in the very spot you had met Luhan. How ironic. “So,” he started, “Today was weird.”

tumblr_mwyr0iZwhr1qgnxifo1_500.gif

“Very.” You agreed, not knowing what else to say. You just wanted to curl into a Juhee-duvet ball on your bed and never emerge again.

 “Let’s sit down first.” It was strange; the two of you had even sat in the exact same place as before. It was so similar but so different at the same time. “Juhee…how old are you?”

“I’m seventeen.” You told him nervously. Ah so this is where the conversation was going.

His eyes darken a bit and your mind blanked along with it. “I see.” He went silent and you didn’t quite know what to do. If silence could kill, you'd both be pretty dead right now. “The thing is it isn’t a problem for me to date a student since I’m only a teaching assistant and a graduate student…but beyond that you’re still a minor.” He sighed, “I checked you on the system once I saw you in class, but I'm just asking to make sure…you just turned seventeen right?”

“A month ago. “ You mumbled.

He nodded. “Ah, you must be pretty smart then...”

You pursed your lips, “So we’re breaking up right?” You asked, hoping to get this all over with so you could run back to your room and cry.

Luhan was caught off guard, “W-what?”

“We’re breaking up.” You restated, voice more clear this time. “I’m too young, we can’t date. We’re over.” You sighed and stood up looking to the side hoping to hide your watery eyes, “That’s what you wanted to say right?”

“N-no.” He said, standing up as well. “That wasn’t what I was going to say at all.”

tumblr_mxc24wzLhh1qaq268o1_250.gif

“You weren’t?” You asked, surprise clearly evident on your face

“No.” He started, “I just was going to say that,” he paused smiling to himself, "I don't think we can really date right now, but that I would wait for you. Wow I sound just like a rom-com.” He looked up at you and smiled wider, trying to reassure you, “I was even going to say that maybe you should even date a little.” 

a/n: So basically I had to cut something in half because it was too long and I couldn't edit all of it in a timely manner so have a cliffhanger? I'll see you when I see you :) As always please leave some comments! -Juhee