Sunshine Boy

11 Months

It had all started with a simple lunch.

In late July, right after coming back from a family vacation, your mother had dragged you to the college you would be starting in the fall to talk over some administrative stuff with the Dean of Student Services. Transfer credits and whatnot. Jet-lagged and hungry, you could hardly sit still while the Dean and your mother discussed freshman research opportunities and such.

Seeing your blatant disinterest, the Dean had encouraged you to take a look around campus. "Familiarize yourself with what we hope will become your second home", he had said. Not wanting to wander too far in, you bought yourself a sandwich from the dining hall close by and sat down on a bench next to the fountain in the shade.

Moments later, you were joined by someone walking past with a brown paper bag. Looking around, he stopped and turned to address you, "Hey, do you think I could sit here with you? Your bench is the only one in the shade."

giphy.gif

You looked up at him and blinked. With the sun behind him, the boy in front of you was handsome to say the least, brown hair backlit by the sun's rays. Was he glowing? Forcing these thoughts into the back of your mind, you compelled yourself to speak in a coherent manner, "Uh yeah sure."

He smiled politely before sitting himself down on the other edge of the bench, "So what brings you to campus? Summer session? Most students aren't here during the summer."

"Uh, I'm kind of transferring here." It wasn't a total lie. You had taken one class at a community college to brush up on your high school physics.

"Ah I see." He chewed contemplatingly, "So you'll be a student here starting in the fall?"

"Yeah." You replied, eye focused on picking at your sandwich.

"Are you going to be living on-campus then? I'm assuming you don't live nearby..."

"No, I live about an hour away so it's not very far but it's more convenient to just live in the dorms."

The boy nodded in understanding, "Ah yeah I know how that is."

Not knowing how to continue the conversation, the two of you sat in meditative silence, each eating before you decided to break it, "So...why are you here over the summer?"

"I'm just finishing up some classes for the past semester."

"Oh..."

"But I'll be returning in the fall too," he added, noticing the smidge of disappointment in your tone, "do you know anyone else here already? Or going to go here?"

Shaking your head sadly, you managed to mumble out a no, "It's just me..."

The boy nodded sympathetically, contemplating for a moment before ripping a piece of paper from his notebook, quickly scribbling something on it before handing it to you, "Here, I can show you around and stuff if you want, when you get here in the fall I mean."

tumblr_mpmaxtntDQ1srh7blo2_r2_500.gif

You looked down at the sheet, noticing only a phone number on it. "Uh...but I don't even know your name yet." You stuttered, a bit taken aback by how forward the boy was being even though you had barely known each other for half an hour.

He blinked in confusion before replying, "What? Did I not, oh well I'm Luhan."

You smiled back in greeting, "I'm Juhee." You responded, looking down embarrassedly, but also a bit happy. Maybe since he was giving you his number he was interested in you too? Or perhaps he was just trying to be nice to an incoming student, you really didn't know when went on inside college boys' minds. Regardless, you couldn't deny the butterflies that were forming in your stomach over this stranger.

He smiled widely in return, eyes even lighting up, "Now don't go selling that number okay?"

Your eyes narrowed in playfulness, "Who would pay me for your number?"

Luhan winked mischievously, "I'm a pretty hot commodity on campus. Lots of girls would pay you good money for that number. Hopefully you're not one of them, disguised as a newbie."

tumblr_static_luhan_why.gif

"Sure, sure." You answered, a laugh bubbling out of your mouth. You couldn't help but agree though, it wouldn't be a surprise to you if he was a celebrity of sorts on campus. You wouldn't even be shocked if he had suitors and a fan club.

He looked down at his watch and stood up, tossing the paper bag smoothly into the nearby trashcan, "Well Miss Juhee, I have another class to attend, but give me your number? I don't respond to people I don't know and I definitely wouldn't want to miss your text."

A bit flattered, you looked around for something to write on or write with. Why didn't you remember to bring your stuff from the hotel? Frowning, you sheepishly replied, "I don't have anything to write on though..."

Fumbling, Luhan took his phone out of his pocket and grinned, "I'm ready when you are."

You gave it to him, but you couldn't help feeling a bit unsure about his intentions. Surely you were interpreting things the wrong way, he was just an upperclassman trying to help out a lost and confused freshman. Luhan wasn't hitting on you.

Still, it was hard to calm down the fluttering butterflies in your stomach when he texted you later that evening.

Just what were you supposed to make of this?

a/n: Hello lovelies~ How are you today? Did you like this chapter? If you did, you should totally subscribe ;) There are more exciting things to come. Enjoy your Friday evening (I am!) and see you guys in a few days with an update~ -Juhee