Epilogue

The Space Between

Jung Haerin P.O.V.

Life was good. I was officially a college student. 

Life was busy. But I was enjoying it. College life was good. No one to tell me what to do. No one to tell me I'm doing the wrong thing. No one stopping me in living my life. I wasn't the only one busy though.

Chanwoo and Junhoe had also patched up their relationship with the other members with iKON and they had been one of the biggest stars in the idol world. 

I rarely saw my own baby brother, we only skyped and had the occasional holidays together, but other than that, I didn't see him anymore. Our parents had been even more busy with business, and I only saw them on holidays too. It's like everyone was gone. It's like everyone was now just living their own lives. 

And I liked that. 

My relationship with Lee Hi was never going to be fixed, I could tell you that. Every time I see her on TV, I switch the channel. But that's ok, I was never friends with her, nor did I ever want to be. She had gotten another boyfriend at the company, Lee Chanhyuk. He can deal with her antics now. It's not my problem anymore. 

If you were wondering, it had been more than a year since I've seen Hanbin. He was busy with his idol stuff, and I was busy with my school stuff. 

I had no intentions to see Hanbin ever again, but I knew that some day we would see each other again, since he is in the same group as my brother, it's bound to happen. 

Even if I did see him, I don't think I would be mad at him anymore. I have no more bitter feelings. I was an adult now. I had no more childish feelings. Love to me now was an extravagance. I hadn't been on a single date since I last saw Hanbin. School was too hectic, I didn't have any time for myself. My life consisted of school, work, studying, and that's it. Love wasn't my top priority. As I said, I didn't have any time for myself, until today. 

Summer was ending, so I decided to do something for myself today. 

Right now, I was walking on the busy streets of Seoul, walking to one of my favorite cafes that I hadn't been to in a while.

It was called The Space Between. 

It was named after their most famous sundae. Apparently, it's relating to the space between your lover and you eating the sundae. Yeah, it was more of a couples cafe, but I couldn't help myself from their famous strawberry frappuccino. I walked into the familiar atmosphere and seated myself. Couples surrounded me and looked at me weird, but I didn't care. 

"Oh my gosh, hey Haerin! I haven't seen you in so long!" Minwoo happily said. He looked a bit older with black hair and a new haircut, but still as baby-faced as I had remembered. I smiled at him.

"Yeah, I've been a bit busy with college. Well, a bit is an understatement," I confessed. He just smiled.

"Oh yeah, I understand. I have to work the cafe and go to college at the same time too!" He complained. I laughed.

"Ouch, that sounds like a pain," I added. He nodded.

"It sure is, anyways, you want that strawberry frappuccino?" He asked, remembering my favorite drink there. I nodded. "Be right back," He said leaving with my order. I waited patiently. 5 minutes later he brought back my drink. "Here's your strawberry frappuccino, enjoy," He said smiling and walked away for me to have my alone time.

I was in a deep thought before I heard someone say something familiar. 

"Hi I would like a Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino please," I heard someone say. Weird, that was- "Haerin?" The same voice called. I turned around and saw the guy I thought I wouldn't see here. My eyes widened. That was Hanbin's favorite drink.

"H-Hanbin?" I stuttered, very confused. He then smiled.

"Hi," He said awkwardly, even though he's always awkward. I was stunned to see him, and still in shock that I forgot to speak. "May I sit?" He asked gesturing to the seat across from me. I was recovering from shock, until I realized it was a question.

"Yeah, yeah, of course," I said while he sat down thanking me. We sat in silence for a bit, still processing each other's thoughts, until he spoke again.

"So, how's it been?" He asked. I looked at him. He looked a bit happier than I saw him before. His hair was a dark black and he looked more mature. 

"It's been pretty good. It's my first year in college, so it's kinda hectic, I guess," I answered. "How about you?" I asked back. He shrugged.

"Ya know, the usual. I've been recording a lot more, practicing more, the usual idol stuff," He replied. 

Soon after he replied, his frappuccino arrived. Minwoo had delivered it to him. Minwoo looked a bit shocked.

"Wow, I never thought I'd see you two together again!" He exclaimed in shock. Hanbin and I just smiled awkwardly. 

"Yeah, we never really thought it either," Hanbin replied for the both of us. 

"Are you two..." Minwoo was asking a question, but he didn't complete it. But we all knew what we meant. Hanbin and I both denied. 

"No, no, we're just..." I trailed off trying to find the right words.

What were we? We weren't dating, we weren't exactly enemies, but not exactly friends.

"We're just old friends having a drink together," Hanbin replied for me. I nodded, agreeing with him. Old friends, that makes us sound so, old. Minwoo just smiled at us. 

"Well, I'll leave you two to catch up with each other." Minwoo then left while Hanbin and I were being awkward together. 

"Is Chanwoo doing well?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, he's a really hard-worker, and he's been training harder these past months after our debut," He replied. I nodded. It was really awkward. We had everything to talk about, but yet, we had nothing. He then sighed. "Haerin, about the past-" I cut him off.

"Forget about it," I said. He blinked at me.

"What?"

"Forget the past, it is only the past. You learned from it, I learned from it," I replied shortly. He smiled at me, but that smile turned into something else. 

"But, I don't wanna forget it," He confessed. I was a bit shocked at the answer. Our past was probably the worst one yet.

"Why?"

"Because, despite the bad experiences we had a year ago, we had really good experiences also. Like the first time I taught you how to ride a bike," He explained carefully, adding an example. I laughed at his example. 

"Hanbin, that was when I was sixteen, three years ago," I said laughing slightly. He smiled at me.

"Well, it's the truth, that's the past, I don't wanna forget how you screamed at me, wanting me to stop the bike because you didn't know how. And I don't wanna forget the first time we met. I don't wanna forget how you're the first one I told I wanted to become a rapper. I don't wanna forget how this cafe became our favorite place to go. I just, I just don't wanna forget all of it," He admitted softly. I smiled at him.

"You're right, I don't want to forget it either..." I admitted also. He was right, despite the bad times we had, the good over powered the bad.

There was something different about Hanbin the last time I saw him. Of course, he got a bit taller. But, he looked calmer, content with life. He didn't look stressed anymore. 

It was like when we were younger. He was returning to his old self. Not the person who chose another girl over me, not the person who yelled at me all the time, he wasn't that guy anymore. 

And I liked that. 

It was like seeing my best friend, not some stranger. 

After a moment of silence, we talked. We talked about our past. All about our good times. We laughed. We talked about our bad times. Yeah, we cried a bit, but after all, that was our past. 

It wasn't perfect. But no one was. No past is perfect. It's only about the present. What we are now. Who we are now. I know not even our future is perfect. But it's all about how we choose to overcome it.

"You know Haerin, I really missed this," Hanbin confessed. I looked up at him, finishing his drink. "I missed talking with you. I missed just laughing with you, we haven't done it in so long," He added. I nodded.

"To be honest, I missed this too. It's been actually a bit lonely by myself in my apartment," I also confessed. this time we sat in silence, but it wasn't that awkward.

"Can we do this again?" We asked at the same time. We stopped for a moment before laughing. We didn't answer, but we knew each other's thoughts. 

"I should get going," Hanbin finally said. I nodded. I looked out and it was already getting dark. I stood up with him, leaving at the same time. We walked out onto the street together. 

Honestly speaking, I didn't want to part ways. I didn't think I missed him so much until now. 

"I'm gonna miss you, Rinnie," He said using my old nickname he gave me. 

"I'm gonna miss you too, Binnie," I said using his old nickname. We chuckled a bit at the use of our childhood nick names. 

"No but seriously though, I'm going to miss you a lot," He said seriously. I nodded.

"And I'll seriously miss you too Hanbin," I said back seriously. We stared at each other in the eyes for a while. For a moment, I think I saw a bit of love in his eyes, and for some reason, I think I reflected that too. 

I had felt something more than just a friendship happening between us. 

"This isn't goodbye, Haerin," He spoke. "It isn't goodbye, right?" He asked. I shook my head sideways.

"It isn't goodbye."

"For sure?" He confirmed.

"For sure," I confirmed. We smiled at each other. 

We parted our separate ways. 

But it wasn't our last time parting with each other. I can tell, there is going to be more. 

It wasn't a love relationship sparking yet, but there were sparks. Sparks that re-kindled our friendship. 

There was going to be more times to talk to each other. 

I hoped for a lot more. 

At one point, we had a block inbetween us. Something that blocked our way of our relationship. That was Lee Hi. She was the block inbetween

Maybe this was the space between us. The space between being friends and being in a relationship.

We still weren't exactly friends again, we weren't even close to being in a relationship. 

This was our time to wait. 

To wait until that moment comes. 

To wait until that special something sparks again in us.

 

To wait until that space is officially closed.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

WOW. This was an adventure. This whole series was actually just based of me watching Lee Hi and B.I. interact with each other and thinking, "Wouldn't his future girlfriend be jealous?" Me of course.

Anyways, I've loved this whole entire little mini-series thing. It was fun. 

Of course it took longer because I'm a procrastinater and such, but it's finally over. 

I feel happy yet sad at the same time. 

Happy because it's over and I don't have to find time to update anymore.

But also sad because I really loved this series and it was my most successful one I wrote so far. 

I didn't think it would get so many subscribers and readers and upvotes, but, it did! And I'm so thankful for you people out there reading this. I don't even know if anyone reads these little author notes I do, but I'm going to write it just to close this story up.

But thank you all who supported me and read this series! 

One last thank you to all! :D