Chapter Three

The Space Between

I felt a hand my head gently.

“Noona, you ok?” Junhoe asked. I looked up at him. I smiled softly.

“I will be with your support,” I commented cheekily. Junhoe just laughed at my remark.

“Ew, can you guys not?” Chanwoo said by the side of us reading a comic. Junhoe and I rolled our eyes.

“Anyways, what can we do to get those bastards back?” Junhoe said excitedly. I laughed at his enthusiasm. After what had happened a couple weeks before, Junhoe had been spending a lot of time at our place. He had just been chilling out here and sleeping here. Memories had came rushing to my head and I slowly close my eyes from the headache. The disbelief was still around from my best friend turned boyfriend chose a girl who he knew for a year and a half. I growled under my breath.

“Noona, don’t be too angry about it, he’s not even worth it,” Chanwoo commented. I gave a half-smile.

“Yeah, but he was my best friend since I was younger and my ex,” I said bitterly. The two boys gave me crooked smiles. Chanwoo suddenly threw a ball at me. “Ouch! What the hell?” He just chuckled.

“Sorry, just trying to brighten the mood,” He said sheepishly. Junhoe picked up the ball and threw at him after. Soon after, it turned out into a full out brawl.We ran around Chanwoo’s room acting like maniacs and even knocked stuff over, but we didn’t really care. After 30 minutes, our brawl had ended and we collapsed out of breath on his bed. WE were all breathing heavily in a complete, but nice, silence.

“Hey Noona,” Junhoe started. I turned to him.

“Yes?”

“If Hanbin hyung had ever come back and wanted you back, would you reject him, or accept him?” He asked. I gulped. The atmosphere was a bit less tense than before, but I had answered the question with ease.

“I don’t know, I hope I wouldn’t accept him, but I guess after all we’ve been through, it’s hard to say,” I replied honestly. He nodded.

“Understandable,” He commented. Chanwoo agreed.

“I have no idea why Hanbin hyung is being this way, he’s usually kind-hearted and playful, but now I have no idea from the way he’s treating you,” Chanwoo said.

“I have no idea either,” I said.We all laid there in a silence, only the sound of our breaths were heard.

Soon night had arrived and we had played rock paper scissors to determine who was going out to get chose to get dinner. It was always two people, so one person got a house to themselves.

“Rock paper scissors!” I shouted. Chanwoo and Junhoe had both pulled out a rock while I had paper. “YES!” I exclaimed. Chanwoo and Junhoe had both groaned in unison.

“Lucky you!” Junhoe sassed.

“Whatever Junhoe, I don’t like your sassiness!” I stuck my tongue out at him. He rolled his eyes while leaving with Chanwoo. I sat alone in my home in complete glee. I the TV and just lounged around. I kicked my feet up on the couch. I then heard a loud knock on the door. I peeked my head up curiously. Who could be here at this hour? Did Chanwoo and Junhoe forget their keys to open the door? I stood up and opened the door. My eyes had widened in shock and I felt my heart stop beating. My face had turned from shock to anger in 3 seconds. I crossed my arms and put a ‘’ face on.

 “What the do you want, Hanbin?” 

Hanbin P.O.V

“Hanbin, get up!” I groaned at the sudden loudness of the voice. I felt someone shoving my around. “Yah! Get up! We have practice!” I heard Jinhwan hyung yell. I sat up right away.

“Oh , we do,” I forgot. Jinhwan felt my forehead.

“Are you ok Hanbin? It’s not like you to forget practice or schedules, but you’ve been doing it pretty often,” Jinhwan accused. I put a smile on my face.

“Nah, I’m fine, just a little out of it, ya know, all that Haerin ,” I claimed. Jinhwan tsked.

“I thought you were over that girl already,” Jinhwan smiled, patting my head. I heard other people entering the room.

“Yeah, I thought you despised her,” Bobby had to add. I shrugged.

“I am over her, it’s just she’s kinda freaking me out from being a psychotic ,” I swore. They chuckled.

“Agreed bro,” Bobby commented.

“Well, we have to go to the other members and battle them, you should get up,” Jinhwan said leaving the room. I let out a hard sigh. I’m over Haerin, right? I picked up the ring I kept on the stand next to my bed. I played with it in my fingers. I smiled at the memories that went along with this ring.

 

Flashback

“Ok, look now, Haerin-ah!” I exclaimed. I saw her eyes pop open as she saw what I had presented her.

“It’s beautiful, Hanbin,” She commented, tears swelling in her eyes. I engulfed her in my arms.

“Yah, why are you tearing up?” I demanded an answer.

“Uh, because you took a hella long time to get me one,” She joked. I laughed into her soft short hair, just the way I liked it. I released her to slide the ring onto her finger. “It looks even prettier on!” She said excitedly. Her smile was contagious and just being with her made me crazy.

“You’re even prettier,” I said suddenly. She looked a bit confused, but turned into a playful look.

“Yah, when did you get so cheesy, you weirdo! I thought you said when we started dating nothing would change,” She fought. I pulled her into my embrace again.

“I said that nothing would change, yes. But I meant that we would always be best friends, but now we’re just best friends in love,” I admitted. I placed my lips onto hers and felt complete pleasure. I felt her pull away and take a step backwards.

“Gross,” She teased. I knew she was playing, but I wanted to too. I pouted.

“Aw, you don’t like my kisses,” I teased. She rolled her eyes.

“I do not because you’re a bad kisser,” She stated. I placed my hand over my heart.

“Ouch Haerin! You hurt me, now you have to kiss me to make me feel better,” I said, puckering up. I felt her hands wrap around my neck and pull me closer, then she slammed my lips onto hers. This girl always seems to seem to know what I want and surprise me at the same time. I melted into the kiss, and once I started to go further, she pulled away.

“Better?” She teased with innocence. I laughed genuinely and pulled her closer to me; despite her protests. I heard her screech and I carried her away to the couch for some cuddling time. I pecked at her lips once again and she spit on me. I gasped.

“Gross!” I shouted. I shoved her on the couch and started to tickle her.

“Stop Hanbin!” She protested. I didn’t listen though and kept tickling her sides.

“You should of thought of that before you spit on my face!” I accused. She found the strength to reach her arms out and pull my down on top of her. She wrapped her legs around my body and made me stop tickling her. I pulled my face dangerously close to hers. I whispered softly in her ear, “I think I like this position.” I teased. She came closer to my ear too.

“Why are we whispering?” She joked. I tickled her again and it soon began a game for us.

End of flashback

 

I gripped the ring close to my heart and smiled at it. I felt a wave of nostalgia wash over me. I felt a tear slip out and I burst into tears before I knew it. I buried my head between my legs and cried. It’s been like this for the past few weeks, or should I say ever since I broke up with Haerin. I would have memories of her, and then burst into tears. I carried myself to the shower and washed those thoughts out of my head.

 

Jinhwan P.O.V

“Yah, why is Hanbin crying?” Bobby asked me, quietly so Hanbin couldn’t hear. I scoffed.

“You don’t know the reason why?” I tested. He shook his head.

“Did he get in a fight with Hayi or something?” Bobby guessed then scratched his head. “But he loves her too much to fight with her, plus, they never fight! But, maybe that’s why he’s taking it so hard,” Bobby babbled. I rolled my eyes then smacked his head.

“What are you all talking about?” Yunhyeong joined the conversation. Before we knew it, Donghyuk also appeared too.

“What are we gossiping about?” He added.

“Well, I was wondering the reason why Hanbin has been a big baby for the past 10 years then Jinhwan hyung decides to hit me!” Bobby exclaimed. I rolled my eyes.

“You’re an idiot!” I hissed, smacking him again in the process.

“Yeah, I’ve noticed too, maybe because Junhoe and Chanwoo left the house, but he’s been crying longer than that,” Yunhyeong mentioned, scratching his head. I scoffed.

“Maybe he got in a fight with Lee Hi noona or something,” Donghyuk said.

“That’s what I said then Jinhwan hyung got violent!” Bobby yelled at me. I tapped my feet.

“Idiots, all of you!” I exclaimed.

“Why are we idiots?” Hanbin asked. We all fumbled and tried to look natural, but failed and we all looked stupid.

“Uh, uhm, nothing, we were just falling on the ground,” Bobby tried, but miserably failed. Hanbin squinted his eyes at us, but shrugged it off.

“Whatever, you all are weirdos anyways,” He commented. I glared at Bobby. He just shrugged in defense. We all looked at each other.

“Well, Hanbin, go to the car with Donghyuk and Yunhyeong, Bobby and I needa do something real quick,” I fibbed. Bobby looked at me with confusion, but I gave him a look to shut him up.

“Oh, yeah! We do, yeah, yup, yes,” Bobby lied, horribly. Hanbin just gave us a look before leaving first. Yunhyung and Donghyuk gave us a look that said ‘you better tell us later’.

“So what are we doing?” Bobby asked. I pulled his arm into our room.

“Come here, look at this ring, what did Hanbin tell us about this ring?” I asked Bobby. Bobby looked up in thought.

“Nothing, he said nothing about it,” Bobby said, very confused.

“Exactly, but whenever he cries, he looks or holds it, so we just needa ask Hanbin what that ring is about,” I explained. Bobby’s expression brightened.

“I got it now!” I rolled my eyes.

“I mean, I have a feeling where this ring is from, but I just need Hanbin to confirm it,” I said staring at the ring. Bobby shrugged.

“It’s probably from Hayi,” Bobby stated. I rolled my eyes once again.

“Just leave the room you idiot.”

Author P.O.V.

Hanbin sat in the car, patiently waiting for the two members who, he even thought were acting a bit weird. Maybe I’m just a little out of it today, he thought. The two members entered the car a few minutes later looking guilty, but good thing Hanbin did not notice it, as he was also out of the loop.

“So what were you guys doing?” Hanbin asked. Bobby and Jinhwan quickly thought of a lie on their heads.

“Oh, uh, we thought we forgot something, but we didn’t,” Bobby lied, not very smoothly. Hanbin had bought it though, thinking nothing was wrong. Bobby and Jinhwan had let out a big sigh. The atmosphere was a bit more tense than usual since they were lacking two members from the group.

“Should we call Junhoe and Chanwoo?” Donghyuk asked. No one answered. Hanbin cleared his throat.

“No, if they want to come, they can, if not, then that’s their choice,” He replied, trying to seem calm. Soon enough, they arrived at the company building. They quickly walked into the practice room and started to stretch. The room had the music on full blast since the doors were shut. The music seemed to even gently echo the halls outside. But still, it didn’t ring through Hanbin’s head. His focus was evidently off and his eyes wavered from time to time.

“Hanbin, you alright?” Jinhwan asked, evidently concerned.

“Yeah, yeah, fine,” Hanbin quickly replied. He sighed.

“Ok, time to practice now.” They had been practicing for 4 hours, taking 15 minute breaks inbetween. It was nearing nighttime now. They were now sitting in a circle on the floor.

“Hey Hanbin, we saw a ring on the stand next to your bed, why does it mean so much to you?” Jinhwan asked the boy. Hanbin’s face tensed.

“Yeah, we saw you with it…” Bobby’s voice trailed off. Hanbin smiled slightly, obviously trying to hide something.

“Oh, it was from my grandma before she passed,” He lied. The members had sighed in relief.

“Oh, that’s why it means so much to you,” Yunhyung added. Hanbin nodded slowly.

 

Hanbin P.O.V.

“Knock, knock, knock!” I heard someone call. Haerin? I had thought first. I looked to the door and saw Lee Hi standing instead. I shook the thought of Haerin out of my head. You like Lee Hi, Hanbin, quit thinking so hard. Lee Hi gives you unconditional love.

“Hayi!” I called out, trying to be enthusiastic. She gave a wide smile back. I couldn’t stand up from the vigorous training we were doing.

“Hi! I knew you guys would be tired, so I brought energy food!” She cheered holding up two big bags. The rest of the guys cheered, so I whooped along. She looked around. “No Chanwoo and Junhoe?” She asked. The guys shook their heads.

“Nope, they’re such brats, choosing a girl over us,” Bobby complained. “What happened to bros before hoes?!” He shouted. He then realised that Lee Hi was in the room. “Except you Hayi, you’re way cooler than any other girl,” He covered up. She giggled.

“It’s fine, Jiwon, I know what you’re talking about,” She said.

“What do you mean a hoe? That’s Chanwoo’s sister, I guess he has an excuse to choose her over us,” Yunhyung explained. We all shrugged.

“Still a hoe,” Donghyuk added. For some reason, I felt anger bubble inside of me. I held my hand to my chest, what is this feeling? I just shrugged it off.

“Yeah, she’s probably a ; she went for Hanbin, then now Junhoe. A girl should never date more than one member of a team, it just ruins their teamwork!” Bobby had added. I felt the anger grow inside of me more.

“Exactly, who knows who she saw before-“

“Excuse me, she dated me and I would know if she was cheating on me, or if she liked any other boy before me or during the time we were dating,” I cut him off. Everyone was stunned by my actions, even I was. We sat in a silence for a bit ‘til Hayi broke the silence. She coughed slightly.

“Yeah, you guys shouldn’t open a wound so early, Hanbin’s probably still hurt over the members and his friend,” She explained. For some reason, her explanation seemed a bit bratty and y. Her tone wasn’t friendly, but more like spit out like venom. I sensed evil behind her words, something Haerin had told me to look for before. I felt her slightly grab my arm and look up at me. “She wasn’t the same worth as you anyways. You’ll get over it, time will heal everything,” She told me. I felt like she as just using my emotions to waver them over to her. I felt used.

 

Flashback

“Rinnie?” A young Hanbin had spoke, using her nickname when they were young kids. He put his hand on her tiny shoulders like she was glass about to shatter. “I know you will be ok,” He carefully spoke. Her tiny shoulders were shaking, but tears were not falling down her face.

“You just don’t know how it feels for your favorite aunt to get hit by a car, Binnie,” She softy said.

 “As time passes, you’ll be ok,” He spoke, not knowing the danger of those words.

“Instead of telling my time heals everything, tell me something that actually works,” She quickly snapped. Her frown evident on her face.

End of flashback

 

“Instead of telling my time heals everything, tell me something that actually works,” I had snapped at her. Everyone gasped at my sudden outburst. I stood up. “You know, now I’m sensing your evil iness that Haerin accused of you having! Now, I feel like I trust her more than you!” I shouted at her. Her face contorted into anger, then kindess.

“Hanbin, you know that’s not true! You know’s she’s just a who’s trying to use you!” She accused. I growled.

“Haerin would never do anything that bad to me! I’m the one who let her walk out of my life!” I screamed, now to know one in particular. “I’m the one who let her go, I’m the bad one, I’m the one at fault!” I cried. Everyone was now looking at me with pain and despair, but the only one I wanted to care about me right now was Haerin. The only thing on my mind was her, and her only. I let my sobs continue as everyone was still staring. I added screams into my cries of anger and regret. After I calmed myself, I said, “I let her walk away, but now I have to catch her now.”

I ran out the doors and let my legs guide themselves to her house. It was almost pitch black outside, but still, I somehow got guided back to her apartment. I gave a small smile at the door I used to look at everyday. I felt a wave of nostalgia wash over me again. I grasped my heart in my hands. I mustered up as much courage I had to just talk to her, just to see her, only a glimpse if I could. That’s how much I craved her right now. I knocked loudly on her door. I heard footsteps nearing. I felt like my heart was going to pop out from my chest and into my hands. I heard the door knob shake, mimicking my heart. The door opened and I stood face to face with her. She looked at me with shock and confusion, matching my shock and happiness. Her expression turned evil, but still beautiful to me.

“What the do you want, Hanbin?” She spat. Why does her voice still sound like music to me even though it’s curses she’s spitting? I felt my world spinning and my heartbeat was now louder than the drama in the background. She waited for an answer. But for some reason, I couldn’t give her one. I opened my mouth to speak.

“Haerin…”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

WOW, this story is coming to an end soon, nooo! I will only write about one more chapter, I think, and then it most likely will be over, DUN DUN DUN! I really liked writing this story, maybe because it's a short story and not a long one. Ya know, I thought I was better at writing angst, but I kinda liked writing the mini fluff in this chapter, maybe you'll get more now, haha! 

Do you guys want a happy ending, or a sad one? I'm just curious! XD

I hope you all liked this update!