Chapter One

The Space Between

Jung Haerin P.O.V

“Noona! Noona! Noona!” My idiot little brother kept calling.

“What, Twerp?” I shouted. He frowned.

“Noona, it’s really important…” He said. I sighed.

“Fine, what Chanwoo?” I asked.

“I GOT INTO YG ENTERTAINMENT!!” He shouted, grinning widely. Wait…What

“Wait, you auditioned for YG, and you didn’t even tell me?” I said deathly. His eyes grew wider.

“I didn’t think it was a big deal,” He shrugged. Silence. “The hyungs wanna meet you, I talk about you a lot.”

“No.” I said a little too fast.

“Why not? It’ll be awesome, you’ll be getting to meet YG boys! That’s amazing!” He exclaimed. He gave me puppy eyes. “Please Noona?” I sighed again.

“Once again, no. I do not want to be around a bunch of guys, especially one of them,” I had mumbled the last part.

“Please, just for a bit,” Chanwoo begged.

“No, Chanwoo, and that’s final.” I had walked out of my room and slammed the door.

I sighed, leaving a stunned Chanwoo back in my room. I heard the door open.

“Noona, please, just for 5 minutes?” He begged. I rolled my eyes.

“No, Chanwoo,” I stated.

“PLEASE?” He shouted. I sighed.

“I’m going on a walk, Chanwoo. And don’t follow me.” I said deathly. I grabbed my jacket and slammed the door, making sure he wasn’t following me. I sighed glady and walked on. I chuckled silently.

“Oh Chanwoo, if only I could tell you,” I said quietly to myself. I walked silently on by myself, just letting my legs wander anywhere they wanted me to. Somehow, I ended up in front of the building I despised most. I saw scattered fangirls around the building. A smile got caught on my face as I heard their screams.

“OMG! I heard B.I. is going to coming back from the café that he went with Lee Hi soon!”

“SERIOUSLY!! AHH! MY GOD DAMN OTP IS SAILING!!! AHHH!!”

A disgusted face appeared on my face. How the hell did they know that? Teen girls these days are crazy.

I kept walking on past the building to somewhere that was familiar. I smiled at the memory.

 

September 19, 2006

“Haerin-ah! Haerin-ah!” A little Hanbin called.

“Yes?” A little Haerin had replied.

“Wanna go our hang-out place tonight?” He asked. Haerin smiled and nodded rapidly.

“Of course! Are you gonna rap again?” Haerin asked clulesly.

“SSH! Haerin, not too loud! I don’t want others to know!” He shouted, clearly, panick in his eyes.

“Oh sorry,”Haerin apologized. Hanbin just smiled.

“It’s ok, I just wanna keep it a secret. It’s just that you don’t usually see a little kid having a passion for rapping nowadays,” He replied. She just smiled.

At the basketball court.

Haerin was standing awe of Hanbin’s rapping skills. She was always pleasantly amazed on how fast he could rap. When he was finished, she clapped her little hands together rapidly.

“Daebak! Daebak!” She squealed excitedly as she wrapped her little arms around the others body. “You just keep getting better and better everytime I watch you rap!”

“Really?” He asked shyly. She nodded.

“Yes, absolutely! You’re the best!” She squealed hugging him once again.

“I’m so glad we’re friends Haerin, everyone else would have laughed at me for having this big dream.” She pouted, but then a smiled appeared.

“Well, that’s why maybe we were just meant to be.”

 

“Haerin noona, are you ok?” I heard a voice ask.

I quickly wiped any tears that were falling. I turned around and saw my tall little brother.

“Yeah, yeah, just feeling a big nostalgic looking at where I used to play,” I fibbed. Chanwoo patted my shoulder.

“Noona, it’s ok. You can tell me what happened,” He told me softy. I softly cried listening to the tone of his voice.

“Well-“ I sniffled. “I actually have a reason for not wanting to meet your friends, Chanwoo,” I said. He urged me on. “No, nevermind, it’s my own problems, not yours,” I replied. He nodded slowly. I quickly wiped away access tears on my face and spoke, “C’mon, let’s get home now,” I said smiling. He nodded and held my hand. Our walk was silent due the awkward atmosphere.

“Noona, are you ok?” He asked finally.

“I’ll get through it,” I replied. We entered our house and took off our shoes. I hung my dirty jacket up on the hanger. “I’m gonna take a shower now,” I said running upstairs.

I let the water wash away my tears and any dirt on my face. I let it wash way the pain through my body and heart. I quickly dried myself and went to sleep early. I then heard a knock on my door and a creak.

“Noona?” I heard Chanwoo call.

“Yes, Chanwoo?” I asked.

“Do you want dinner?” He asked quietly. I shook my head.

“Noona’s tired, I’m gonna sleep now,” I responded.

“Ok Noona, I hope you feel better in the morning,” He said closing the door. He quickly opened again though. “Uh, Noona. You weren’t crying because of me, right?” He asked.

“Of course not,” I said smiling. He then proceeded to shut the door, but then again opened the door again. He cleared his throat. “Oh yeah, I also have practice tomorrow, so I won’t be here in the morning. Ok night Noona?” He asked.

I smiled at his flustered words. I have the best brother in the world.

In the morning, I decided to go on a light walk to empty my thoughts. I pulled over a maroon long sleeved shirt and matching ombre maroon shorts.

I slipped on my comfy black and white converse and left the house. I began letting my feet wander again and somehow I got to the same place. I sighed at the tall building in front of me.

“Why here?” I wondered to myself. I suddenly heard voices coming from the entrance. I saw the famous iKon leaving the building. I heard my mind pounding, leave now, but my feet stood in place. They looked to the left while I was on the right side. My heart pounded as I laid eyes on the boy I have been avoiding for almost 2 months now. The pain was still so fresh in my heart and mind. Tears threatened to fall from my eyes. No, you’re stronger than this. You promised you would. You’re stronger than him, prove it. I felt like turning away from the mere sight of him. I heard them erupt into laughter, but I got the sound waves of a female one.

“Donghyuk, that’s hilarious!” A female giggled.

“No way Noona, B.I’s was way funnier, right Chanwoo?” Donghyuk asked my brother.

“Right, B.I hyung is hilarious,” He responded. I closed my eyes as I knew the lady standing with them. “But I think Lee Hi Noona is the best!” Chanwoo excitedly said. My fists clenched together. No, Chanwoo can’t be around her. I will not allow it. He can’t be tainted by her; I won’t let him be around someone so evil to break a relationship and friendship. I stepped forward, but then stopped myself. My heart clenched at the pain that the members replaced me for her. A tear slid down. I wiped it immediately, you’re stronger than this. I whipped my head away as I heard their laughter falter. I grabbed my heart as it just had been through a roller coaster. I heaved a big sigh as I crouched down to my knees. I jumped to my feet before anyone could see me in this state. I straight out my clothes and got on my way. I scrambled to somewhere else besides here.

I ran home and before I knew it, I was lying in my bed just watching the clock tick away. I heard the door open and slam shut. I shot up. I checked the time, which was almost 3 in the morning. My eyes widened, I had really slept that long? I walked downstairs and saw Chanwoo.

“Hey, twerp,” I chided. He smiled.

“Hey, Noona,” He heaved, he was sweating and panting. I frowned.

“Yah, did you walk home after practicing hard?” I asked. He shook his head.

“Manager hyung took me home, but I’m still out of breath since I’m the new trainee,” He replied. I nodded. A silence took over us.

“Chanwoo,” I said seriously.

“Yeah?”

“Are you getting close with…” I trailed off. “Lee Hi?” I asked. His face lit up.

“Yeah! I love Lee Hi Noona! She’s so awesome, pretty and nice! So much better than you!” He said sticking his tongue out at me. I felt my heart just shatter into pieces and then the shards just stabbed me. I knew it was meant as a joke, but my heart and mind didn’t take it as one. I smiled softly.

“Yea, well, I want you to stop hanging out with her,” I just blurted out saying. A silence washed over us.

“Why?” He asked angrily. “You first get mad at me for following my dreams, then getting female friends??” He raised his voice. “If you think we’re dating, we’re not; she’s all over B.I. hyung,” He responded, crushing my heart again. I squeezed my heart together.

“It’s not about that, it’s just…Why can’t you just trust me on this one, Chanwoo?” I demanded, getting angry myself.

“I need an answer,” Chanwoo demanded. I scoffed.

“I’m your noona, I don’t need to give you one,” I fibbed, trying to avoid the topic. He scoffed. The nerve of that boy.

“I’m not a little kid, Noona. I can choose my own friends,” He fought.

“Chanwoo, I know that. It’s just I don’t want you hanging around her, she’s bad news Chanwoo!” I shouted, slamming my fist on the table. The sound blared through our house.

“Whatever, Noona. You’re just jealous, and you know it!” He screamed from his room. I heard his door slam shut. I felt my tears fall from my face. I ignored them as I made myself a glass of milk before I went to bed myself. Maybe I was wrong to greet him.

As I woke up in the morning, I heard Chanwoo purposely slamming the front door to make me wake up. I groaned in response.

“That ,” I muttered. I was wide awake and in pain from the fight I had with my lil bro lat night. And I thought it could just be a time with me and him. Just siblings forever. I was wrong. I got up and started my day. I had to go on another walk to empty my mind. I got ready super quickly and just pulled out whatever I found in my closet and left the house.

I once again let my legs take me wherever they wanted to, and yet, I still end up in the same place.

“This stupid god damn building is getting on my nerves,” I said to myself. I walked away before I could encounter anyone I knew or anyone who knew me. I walked into a café that me and Hanbin used to go to often and sat down. A familiar waiter came by and asked me for my order.

“Oh, hey Haerin, how’s it been? I haven’t seen you in a while with that Hanbin boy,” He innocently said. I smiled sadly.

“Yeah, well, we broke up,” I replied. His face turned sad and regretful.

“Oh, sorry about that,” He apologized. I shook my head.

“It’s fine, I’m getting over it,” I muttered out. He nodded.

“Well, I assume you want your strawberry frappuccino right about now?” He teased. I laughed happily, which what seems like I did so long ago.

“Yup, you always seem to know,” I replied. He walked away and went to get my drink. As he brought my drink, I just sat there in a calming silence. I sipped at my drink and watched the sun go high up in the sky. I then said goodbye to my good friend, Minwoo, and then left. I was walking down the street, until I heard something.

“Noona!” Someone shouted. I stood in complete shock. I knew that voice. “Noona!”  I turned around slowly, hoping it wasn’t who I thought it was. I saw and my heart dropped.  Dammit. He ran up to me, by himself, but I could tell that the others were near. “Noona, I just wanted to apologize for saying what I saw this morning, AKA, since I came home at 3 AM.” He chuckled. “Hey, I’m with Lee Hi noona and the others, why don’t you see she’s not as bad as you think,” He suggest. Oh, innocent Chanwoo.

“I’m fine,” I protested.

“C’mon,”

“No!” I argued. Then, I heard a bunch of laughter in the back, please tell me it’s not them.

“YAH! JUNG CHANWOO! How could you run away from us like that?” I heard the voice I hated the most yell.

“Sorry B.I hyung, I saw my noona and I wanted to talk to her,” Chanwoo replied.

“Oh, who’s your noona?” I heard another voice ask, I recognized it was Bobby’s. I felt their stares on me as I was about to turn. I felt my heart pounding and the blood rushing to my head. I turned around and confronted the man I hated most. I met eyes with him and I saw his face turn into utter shock. I scanned the others and I met the eyes of the girl I despised most. Her face was maybe even more shocked than Hanbin’s. The other boys’ faces turned happy and excited. Jinhwan was the first to hug me, as they all started to wrap their arms around me.

“HAERIN!” Bobby yelled.

“Haerin noona! We missed you so much!” Junhoe claimed. I felt my eyes tear up as I was so happy that I could spend time with them again. Donghyuk was the last to let go.

“Haerin noona, why didn’t you tell us that Chanwoo was your brother?” He asked.

“Well, you didn’t know him when I met you guys,” I said.

“Yah, why did you leave us? We didn’t see you for over 3 months!” Yunhyeong exclaimed. I felt myself choking up.

“I had things to do,” I said softly. I saw B.I’s face turn bitter.

“Oh Noona, you’ve met all of them before,” Chanwoo finally said. I felt myself freeze. All their faces turned into confusion except Hanbin and Lee Hi’s.

“You didn’t tell him when you knew he was in YG?” Bobbly asked. I was still frozen.

“Well, uh-“ I didn’t know how to tell them.

“Yeah, you said you didn’t want to see them,” Chanwoo bursted out. Everyone else froze. The other boys turned sad.

“You didn’t want to see us again? What about Hanbin hyung? We were so confused when he acts lovey dovey with Lee hi noona,” Donghyuk accused. B.I’s face turned remorseful.

“Wait, WHAT about Hanbin hyung?” Chanwoo asked.

“He doesn’t know?” Hanbin finally asked.

“Of course he doesn’t know you bastard,” I swore at him finally.

“Woah, Noona, calm down,” Chanwoo said.

“Yeah, Haerin, chill,” Hanbin had the nerve to say. I scoffed at him. I almost slapped him. Wait, I did.

“You’re a bastard. I made them all miserable because you couldn’t man up and act like a man and might I say a leader. Why don’t you tell them all why I avoided them all?” I demanded. He turned speechless, like the rest of the guys. “TELL THEM.” I shouted. Good thing no one was up this early, or else we would attracted some attention. He still didn’t say anything. “OK, how about you Lee Hi?” I snapped. Her eyes grew wider.

“What?” She sassed. I slapped her. I felt someone drag me away, who was Chanwoo. I ripped his arms off me and I grabbed her collar.

“You , you ruined my life in so many ing ways,” I claimed. The iKon boys stood frozen and confused.

“Yah! Noona! She did nothing wrong!” Chanwoo believed. I chuckled evily.

“Nothing? Nothing? Really Chanwoo? Was stealing my boyfriend nothing? Was making my days terrible nothing? Was making my boyfriend and best friend hate me nothing? Was all of that nothing? HUH, JUNG CHANWOO?” I screamed. A silence washed over all of us when realization set in on all of them. They knew what happened, why I avoided them. Chanwoo knew why I didn’t wanna see them, why I hated Lee Hi, why I cried by myself, they all knew everything. Jinhwan finally broke the silence.

“C’mon, this isn’t our conversation to be getting into, let’s give Haerin and them some space,” Jinhwan claimed.

“No, all of you are staying right here.” I demanded. Everyone stood in their spots. I turned to the iKon boys. “All of you are complaining on how I left all of you and making me feeling so guilty. But how come you never talked about me? Chanwoo is my brother, he would have recognized my name, but instead he never knew about me knowing you all! You replaced me with Lee Hi so easily like I was never there to begin with and you ALL OF YOU didn’t realize that she hated me and wanted me to leave!” I screamed. “I’m tired of being the bad guy when I’m the victim!” I shouted. I felt tears well up in my eyes.

I then turned to Hanbin. “You, the person I loved with all my god damn heart and you just left me like I was nothing! You left my house like I was a complete stranger, leaving me to wallow in my pain! Leaving my poor brother to know nothing and not know why I would cry myself to sleep or cry at places we used to be at!” I shouted.

“Well, what was I supposed to do?!? You made me choose between you or Lee Hi?” He protested.

“It’s simple! You were supposed to choose me! Your best friend since third grade and your girlfriend for 2 years! ME! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO CHOOSE ME!” I screamed.

“It wasn’t that easy, Lee Hi was my friend-“

“FRIEND? Chanwoo told me she was all over you,” I whispered. “You’re a liar, you know that Hanbin?” I walked away from all of them, flipping them off in the process. Tear finally falling off my cheeks.

I ran inside my house whole heartedly crying into my pillow. It’s ok, you can cry, a good cry lightens the heart, I told myself. I’m in for another night of crying.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

YO! So, well, I was gonna upload this first chapter a long time ago, but I was planning to write the next chapter for it before I uploaded this one so I would be ready! BUT, I was just writing it like 10 minutes ago and I was frustrated with everything! >.< GRRRR, so, I was hoping some of your comments would give me inspiration and kill my writer's block! XD     I hope I don't disappoint you all! I was SUPER surprised when this short little figment of my imagination became so big! I was expecting only like, 20-30 subscribers, but instead I got 90! :)  YAY!

Thank you for reading! I hope you all like it! :D